HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point do we bring back Frolov?

Old
07-09-2010, 02:21 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
At what point do we bring back Frolov?

Seriously, do we have no interest in this guy anymore? Unless he's asking for something insane, why hasn't he signed anywhere? I'd be comfortable offering him between $3 million and $3.5 million per year for a year or two to come back. I'dassume he'd have signed by now, but since he hasn't he must be getting low offers in his opinion. I'm sure we could match the best offer and maybe he'd come back as he's always been a King.

Frolov, then flip a pick to get Gagne, who should be fairly cheap if they are talking about waivers now, and we add some serious depth upfront without giving much in terms of actual assets.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

He's probably looking for big money based on his 35 goal season, and I can't blame him. With the right linemates and coach, I think Fro could put up those numbers again. As much as I'd love to see him back here, you know he'd end up in a limited role (stopper unit) and I don't think that's what he wants. As quiet as he is, I think he wants to be a go-to guy.

It's funny though, I was looking at free agent or trade options who have 30-goal potential, and Fro would see like the logical choice had he played for another team for his career thus far. Being that most of the Taylor-era guys are gone though, you might be able to chalk up him leaving to being part of the regime and mentality change of the organization.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:28 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Everyone's waiting on Kovy's deal to be done and then you will see trades and signings happening.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Its been reported he wants atleast 5M. But he's not coming back to the Kings it was already stated they weren't offering him a contract.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
As soon as Kovalchuk signs somewhere else.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:36 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

As soon as he wants a more realistic paycheck.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:04 AM
ukyo

Probably waiting for either a team to give him a longer term contract based on his 07/08 numbers, or for a team to give him a 1-yr deal to show that he's still capable of putting up his 07/08 numbers. The second scenario is more likely, and for that teams are probably waiting for the aftermath of Kovalchuk signing somewhere.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
The Judge

If he loves LA why not offer him a base with incentives where everyone is happy. Maybe a base of $3.75 million with performance bonus that can go as high as $5.25 million?

Do you guys think that might be an option? And in that scenario what's the cap hit with that type of structure? Curious to know... Thanks.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
If he loves LA why not offer him a base with incentives where everyone is happy. Maybe a base of $3.75 million with performance bonus that can go as high as $5.25 million?

Do you guys think that might be an option? And in that scenario what's the cap hit with that type of structure? Curious to know... Thanks.
You can not offer incentive bonuses on Frolov's contract. Only ELC, 35+ and players coming back from major injuries.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Youngblood93

I'd like to see Frolov signed for 3.5-4 million a year to play 2nd line LW. Kovy can play 1st line LW. DL can deal Smyth, Stoll + for a 2nd line center and dman.

I don't think that's alot to ask for................

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You can not offer incentive bonuses on Frolov's contract. Only ELC, 35+ and players coming back from major injuries.
Darn it! Oh well... in that case, it will be tough to resign Frolov.

Maybe he just needs a new scenery, a new team, a new coach... I have a feeling TM & DL just don't like him at all, I just don't feel he got the respect he deserves. His weaknesses is overblown and went to Frolov's head and affected his play more than anything.

That being said he deserves to be on a different team IMO. It's best for him. If he stays, nothing will change over here for him.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Its been reported he wants atleast 5M. But he's not coming back to the Kings it was already stated they weren't offering him a contract.
link?

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
he's not coming back to the Kings it was already stated they weren't offering him a contract.
I wonder if it's the same "we are out of the Kovalchuk race" type statement

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
****ing Never, **** That Guy

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
I want him back...playing alongside better players is when you see him shine! Damn I miss seeing him and Cammy!

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

At what point to people who want Frolov back start being just a bit surprised that he's still available?

Good talent at a reasonable price due to a disappointing contract season = not signed by any team yet? Hmm.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:51 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I wonder if it's the same "we are out of the Kovalchuk race" type statement
Actually, I'm thinking it's a "we are STILL in the Kovalchuk race" type statement.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Bring Frolov back?

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
At what point to people who want Frolov back start being just a bit surprised that he's still available?

Good talent at a reasonable price due to a disappointing contract season = not signed by any team yet? Hmm.
I wouldn't mind Frolov back and I'm not surprised that nobody has offered him a contract yet.

If it were me, here is what I would do:
1. See if someone will offer you the long-term contract you want. That would preclude "reasonable price" given his relatively poor season.
2. If not, do a cheap 1-yr deal and try again next off-season.

#1 isn't happening because GMs can plainly see that Frolov had a bad season and they are also waiting for the dominoes to fall after Kovalchuk signs somewhere.

If #2 were to happen, then you suddenly have a lot more GMs interested, at which point you have your pick of what team to go to. And if you're just doing this for a year, why not just go to the team that you were already with? You don't have to move, you are already familiar with the facilities, team, city, etc.

The only problems with this might be if you don't think you can produce under the coach, or if the team doesn't want you back (which could both be true).

Old
07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

at what point do those who don't want him back realize that every other free-agent NOT named Frolov is pretty much in the same holding pattern?

yes, he's asking for the world... he should. it's his first and probably last shot at signing the largest contract of his career. his finding no takers thus far isn't a surprise, nor should the fact that he hasn't signed with anyone if he indeed has gotten an offer or two be one either... as soon as Kovalchuk signs, he becomes THE free agent left wing on the market.

the answer to the original question is that it should have been done a while ago.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

As far as I'm concerned, for me that ship has sailed. We know what Fro can do and I want new blood in here. I've loved his time here as a King but it's time to move on, especially if the reports of wanting $5 mil are true.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
as soon as Kovalchuk signs, he becomes THE free agent left wing on the market.
Assuming 28 other teams couldn't give a flip about Kovalchuk... aren't you just a little surprised that Frolov is still available? No other team needs help at LW that can afford Frolov $$ but can't afford Kovalchuk $$? Seems odd to me unless Frolov is still holding out hope to re-sign with LA (or sign with Jersey).

Last edited by TonySCV: 07-09-2010 at 02:18 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post

Sounds good if the bonus' are based on effort.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Nobody is doing anything until Kovalchuk moves. Most of the forward UFA's have been waiting as well as most teams. Either way, I am sure Frolov's days as a King are over.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I still see him ending up in LI. They need to reach the floor and he'd be playing on Tavares wing.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote