HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quebec City is the most viable market in Canada for a new NHL team

Old
07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
B+ for Quebec City (TSN-Globe & Mail)

http://sport.sympatico.ca/accueil/%C...eaume/ba973474

According to a joint TSN and Globe&mail study, Quebec City got the highest rate among Canadian cities who could get a NHL team in the future, ahead of Winnipeg, Hamilton and the Great Toronto Area.

it's not the ''biased'' Quebec media who are saying it... It's your favourite sports bible TSN, and the number 1 newspaper in Canada.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quebec City is the most viable market in Canada for a new NHL team

According to a joint report by TSN and the Globe and Mail. Here are the final grades :

Quebec City : A
Winnipeg : B
Hamilton : D-
Toronto : D-

Final scorecard for Quebec City :

Quote:
Market Attractiveness

Economy B-
Demographics C
Market Size C
Corporate presence C+
Overall Market Attractiveness Grade C+

It has one of North America’s lowest unemployment rates, an economy less reliant on government than 15 years ago, and an income per capita that has surpassed that of Montreal. But with just three-quarters of a million people its market is small by NHL standards, as is its corporate presence, although early indications are it would hungrily get behind NHL hockey.

Franchise Viability

Potential Ownership A
Arena and Location A+
Competition and Barriers to Entry A+

Quebec City’s NHL dreams are predicated on a new $400 million arena which has broad support from politicians, the public and the private sector. Media giant Quebecor and its CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau would love to own the team and an NHL team would face no sports competition within the market

Final Grade for Viability A

With a small but enthusiastic market, Quebec City’s size would make it potentially vulnerable to a downturn in the Canadian dollar or the economy in general. It would need a shrewd and savvy management team. But assuming the new arena is built and the owner steps forward, it’s a very attractive place for the NHL.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:10 AM
LeMAD

The problem is the same with all Canadian teams; economy could turn to D- if the dollar loses the advantage it currently has versus the USD.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
KaptainKanada

Pls NO more Toronto teams.....One already there sucks!I guess they could call the other team "Blows"

KaptainKanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
RBR

vCash: 50
I don't think there's anyone against another team in Canada, no matter where it is. So bias isn't an issue here.

But if you're saying that the French media isn't biased (and stupid), then you're wrong.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
onice

I never understood why the Nordiques left in the first place.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

Toronto got a ****** grade, D- i think. Good, so sick and tired of hearing about another team in TO or Hamilton. Winnipeg/Quebec City FTW.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM
katatoniak

Do It!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
I don't think there's anyone against another team in Canada, no matter where it is. So bias isn't an issue here.

But if you're saying that the French media isn't biased (and stupid), then you're wrong.
I think you forgot to add "some of". there are some very good reporters who are neither bias nor stupid: Dube, M. McGuirre, Brunet and the list goes on.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
jo_ab

everyones says that quebec city could bring an NHL teams but I can't see it happens... canadian city like montreal,toronto, vancouver, calgary and edmonton (small city but the gas company is rich there) has lots of company and industry to provide the team lots of businessman going to game.
Except for Ottawa but the city is way bigger than quebec and has a big potential of fan with the ontario and gatineau area.

I can't see the government of quebec paying tickets for the '' fonctionnaire'' to go see game...

I always thought it could be nice to see the games habs/nordiques but even now I think it would be a mistake in few years...

jo_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
E = CH²

Québec would probably get A+ if they had an arena. That's the only negative point compared to other locations I think. But if they're reasonably sure to be able to get one then it changes things.

Personally ? Screw the rest of Canada, screw Ontario and Winnipeg, bring the nords back. There would be nothing better for hockey in the province and it would be awesome from a habs standpoint to see the rivalry brought back. But if Québec were to not get a team first, then I'm pulling for Winnipeg.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ab View Post
everyones says that quebec city could bring an NHL teams but I can't see it happens... canadian city like montreal,toronto, vancouver, calgary and edmonton (small city but the gas company is rich there) has lots of company and industry to provide the team lots of businessman going to game.
Except for Ottawa but the city is way bigger than quebec and has a big potential of fan with the ontario and gatineau area.

I can't see the government of quebec paying tickets for the '' fonctionnaire'' to go see game...

I always thought it could be nice to see the games habs/nordiques but even now I think it would be a mistake in few years...
Quebec's economy has fruitfully diversified over the past 5-10 years. I dont think you know what your talking about imo.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think you forgot to add "some of". there are some very good reporters who are neither bias nor stupid: Dube, M. McGuirre, Brunet and the list goes on.
That's true. There are a few good French reporters.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
jo_ab

well everyone I know from there is going to montreal because the only job that are there is with the government...

a city of only 500 000 is a small market...

jo_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Québec would probably get A+ if they had an arena. That's the only negative point compared to other locations I think. But if they're reasonably sure to be able to get one then it changes things.

Personally ? Screw the rest of Canada, screw Ontario and Winnipeg, bring the nords back. There would be nothing better for hockey in the province and it would be awesome from a habs standpoint to see the rivalry brought back. But if Québec were to not get a team first, then I'm pulling for Winnipeg.
Actually, the edge they had vs Winnipeg IS the Arena.

Market Attractiveness Franchise Viability
Economy: B- Arena and Location: A+

Demographics: C Competition and Barriers to Entry: A+

Market size: C Potential Owner: (Quebecor, CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau) A

Corporate presence: C+

They are already builing an Arena in hopes to get Olympic Bid.

Quote:
The financing of a new arena could be hooked to a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. If it's approved, the city would then use it to lure an NHL team from one of league's struggling American markets. Under that scenario, Quebec City might have teams lined up at its door.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327048

Honestly, not sure how you can say **** Winnipeg. To be honest, **** Ontario(i agree with you here), they have 2 teams as it is. We have the habs, Manitoba/Saskatchewan do not have an NHL team. A whole time zone in canada(Central) does not have an NHL team. I would be glad if it went back, let them have a team...IF it works.

Old
07-09-2010, 10:34 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

What I'm saying is. IF that study would had been done by RDS and Journal de Montreal (for exemple), the same exact results would had been down played by all the Quebec media bashers on this board.

But it,s TSN and Globe&mail. So, it MUST be true !

Old
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
And since there's a lot of bad English speaking journalists/commentators too (Cherry, Milbury, Stock, Todd, etc.), I think it's safe to assume that language has nothing to do with the quality of reporting.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
well everyone I know from there is going to montreal because the only job that are there is with the government...

So the PhD who made the study is a jack ass who know nothing, and is paid by the Quebec mayor and PM to give a positive image of the city ?

Old
07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

as i said, your aprox 5 years behind of reality.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

The only problem with Quebec it's the family of the players don't want to live there, they don't even have movies in english in theather there

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
The only problem with Quebec it's the family of the players don't want to live there, they don't even have movies in english in theather there
they dont?

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What I'm saying is. IF that study would had been done by RDS and Journal de Montreal (for exemple), the same exact results would had been down played by all the Quebec media bashers on this board.

But it,s TSN and Globe&mail. So, it MUST be true !
Because RDS/Journal de Montreal would only study Quebec City and you know it. We can't honestly sit back and say they'll care about other Markets, they never do. Whereas this segment has them checking out multiple markets across canada. The title of the segment is 'why not canada', not 'why not quebec?'. When the focus of the project research changes you may get varied results. A certain bias will occur IMO. Same as a team doing "why not winnipeg?" IN winnipeg. When it comes to this, we are all naturally optimistic. You here winnipeg saying "it's okay we only have 15000 seats, we can handle a team"...yah, on the best conditions. It's optimism. Us looking from the outside may say "15000 seats? What the ****?".

Old
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
If not to form an instant classic rivalry, then bring back the Nordiques to weed out 95% of our annoying fan/press who scream to have a full french team. I'd really like there to be a Quebec expansion, no moves. Moves break my heart.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:44 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Huh, it depends who's writing the article. What the ****'s wrong with you.

Anyways on topic, do you guys think they would have the same name and logo as the Nordiques or would they legally need to change it?

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
And since there's a lot of bad English speaking journalists/commentators too (Cherry, Milbury, Stock, Todd, etc.), I think it's safe to assume that language has nothing to do with the quality of reporting.
Except Cherry and Milbury and others don't follow the habs. All the french reporters do. The english idiots are spread out nationwide lol