HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quebec City is the most viable market in Canada for a new NHL team

Old
07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrr View Post
Why should tax payers from all over the province pay so that Quebec city gets a team ?

Wasn't the Bell Center paid using only private funds ? Why should it be different for Quebec ?
Cause the entire province of Quebec paid over a billion dollars for the Olympic Stadium, 250 million for the new building of the OSM, millions for the Saputo Stadium, millions for the F1, etc.

That's Quebec's turn now.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Lindros?

I read about players saying they didn't want to play in Quebec because it's hard for english family to live there.
Some players were not keen on playing there but it was a minority all things considered. The cultural barrier played a part but there were other things as well. Such as the organization being crappy and run by utter clowns. They had absolutely no tradition.

But it's not like Quebec has been the only city to run into this kind of problems. Plenty of others did, for a variety of reasons. Even Pittsburgh had to reason with Mario Lemieux to get him. I bet he's happy in retrospect he was smarter than Lindros....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
They will have to build with the draft , it's not gonna be a place where UFA will sign.
A lot of things are different now. Quebec City is a much nicer place than it used to be, the salaries have reached a new dimension that makes almost every player a millionaire, the NHL is more cosmopolitan environment and a salary cap is in place insuring a relative parity. Yeah, some cities will always be hotter destinations but no NHL town is gonna stay permanently unattractive if it is managed well.

The two most important steps right now are a respectable arena and staffing a competent organization.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Cause the entire province of Quebec paid over a billion dollars for the Olympic Stadium, 250 million for the new building of the OSM, millions for the Saputo Stadium, millions for the F1, etc.

That's Quebec's turn now.
I'm from Montreal, and I agree.

I prefer the taxpayers money to be spent wisely on longlasting projects that will create jobs and new economic/artistic/sports opportunities, than on short term non senses like... hum... that one billion dollars spent in Toronto to insure the security around 20 guys for a week-end... or on biased public inquiries like the Bastarache Commission, where taxpayers money is being spent only to protect John Charest's reputation...

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I kind of hope QC gets a team just to stop the godforsaken whining. That's not a dig at anyone, it's just that good god am I tired of the whole song and dance.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I kind of hope QC gets a team just to stop the godforsaken whining. That's not a dig at anyone, it's just that good god am I tired of the whole song and dance.
Don't get your hopes too high. The Montreal CanadiEns history has always been closely associated with the French Canadians (formely called "Canadiens"), and that won't change because the Nordiques are there. The French speaking fans won't abandon their much beloved team just because there's another team in a French speaking market.

What would be more logical was if the Montreal Maroons were coming back in the league, and then all the anglophones from Montreal would stop cheering for the Habs, and cheer for the Maroons instead. Just like it was before. To each language their own team! Hehe, just kidding of course.

Old
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Some players were not keen on playing there but it was a minority all things considered. The cultural barrier played a part but there were other things as well. Such as the organization being crappy and run by utter clowns. They had absolutely no tradition.

But it's not like Quebec has been the only city to run into this kind of problems. Plenty of others did, for a variety of reasons. Even Pittsburgh had to reason with Mario Lemieux to get him. I bet he's happy in retrospect he was smarter than Lindros....

A lot of things are different now. Quebec City is a much nicer place than it used to be, the salaries have reached a new dimension that makes almost every player a millionaire, the NHL is more cosmopolitan environment and a salary cap is in place insuring a relative parity. Yeah, some cities will always be hotter destinations but no NHL town is gonna stay permanently unattractive if it is managed well.

The two most important steps right now are a respectable arena and staffing a competent organization.

You have good point and you're right with the part I put in bold but it will be hard for Quebec to become that destination and it will take time. Fans will have to be patient and support the team and the most important part the companies who buy lodge will have to be there for a long time. Toronto live with the money of business company and Montreal in a certain point too. Business in Quebec don't have the same money, if the team suck for 10 years small company won't buy lodge and they will stop sponsoring the team and that's the biggest problem IMO. Sure Quebec is a nice place and some players will play there for the right money(I still think some guys won't even consider Quebec because of the language thing) but Quebec is a small city with small businesses it's a small market

the owner of the team will need to have alot of money and be ready to lose money for a good period of time

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:44 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

God, always the same ****ing language debate. On s'en ******** criss. It's a hockey forum for ****'s sake and all what is discussed is the language: anglos heres, frenchs there... **** off.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What I'm saying is. IF that study would had been done by RDS and Journal de Montreal (for exemple), the same exact results would had been down played by all the Quebec media bashers on this board.

But it,s TSN and Globe&mail. So, it MUST be true !
It is understood what you mean. Why you feel you have to mention it at all is the real question. Why not just stick with the good rating and leave it at that?

Of course throwing in that extra little something has done wonders for sticking to the topic of where a franchise would be expected to do well.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Make it happen.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:08 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
God, always the same ****ing language debate. On s'en ******** criss. It's a hockey forum for ****'s sake and all what is discussed is the language: anglos heres, frenchs there... **** off.
I was thinking about the same, albeit in nicer terms, reading a few posts of this thread. Quite a few misconceptions about Québec.

The first is that it's going to be a free agency hellhole.

Not really. In fact, if there is one NA city likely to pluck away high end KHL talent, it's Québec, simply because it's actually pretty common for Russians to learn french as a 2nd language, and the overall european feel of Québec City. You can see how the Remparts managed to lure in great russian kids to play here. Also, french canadians don't mind playing away from home, and I have a hard time believing english speaking canadians are different, and would probably enjoy playing in Québec, if only for the rabid fans. Of course, every player is different. I would simply see more players taking french courses to make getting around the city easier. Nothing new for europeans, english speaking canadians are supposed to have learned french at school (), so the only thing left as problematic are Americans.

But even then, living in a city that safe and relax, with such low crime and so much greenery is going to make quite a few pretty happy to come with their family here.

And then you can also catch some like Gomez and Gionta.

Second is that the city is still majoritarily a fonctionnaire town. That would have been true 10 years ago. It changed a lot, though. L'Allier managed to diversify Québec's economy greatly, and Labeaume is promoting the city non-stop for pretty much anybody interrested in starting a business. You have to work hard to avoid jobs here. I've been working for the same firm (IT infrastructures company which I won't name ^_^) for 2 years now, and I still get phones for serious offers from others.

Anybody claiming they have a problem finding a job in Québec is either a very lazy person or a guy that's working in quite an obscure branch. Geez, restaurants are closing because they can't get personnel, because fewer and fewer people have to fall back to menial jobs because they have troubles finding something good. My friend works in a storage room for Metro... for 16$ an hour. It's crazy how salaries shot up in the last 5 years. Companies just can't keep their employees due to competition.

Plus, Québec now has a better $/year average per capita than Montréal, which wasn't the case 15 years ago when the Nords took the plane south. So, economically, from the business and the fans standpoints, no problem. I have 5k set aside to buy a season ticket. Many of my friends do too. The team's going to strice, no problem.

Add to that the fact that Saguenay seems to be getting out of the **** they were in a couple years ago, and we just bumped our possible fanpool about 200k. I've been cheering for a team that's 2 hours away for a long time, it's not that hard

As soon as Charest, Harper and Labeaume sign the papers starting the consutruction of the new arena, I'm sure it'll go down really, really fast. Maybe the team'll play even 1 season at the Colisée, it hasn't been ruled out.

(Note: I wish also to point out that people like me, born in Chicoutimi and living in Québec, who do speak english fluently, are not a rarity in Québec. Less common than in Montréal, yes, but not a dying breed. We're far from the 1995 referendum days)

Last edited by 1UP: 07-10-2010 at 12:15 AM.
1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Pyrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
A team in Ontario not so far from Toronto would be the best thing that could happen to the Leafs.
The competition would help them find new ways to improve.

I would go so far as to say that it would be the recipe for a cup.

Quebec presence was a factor in the Habs getting better and within a few years after they were gone, Habs were at the bottom of the league.

It took 10 years to recover from Quebec departure...

Free market and competition is one of the best mean for improving.
Unless you cheat (lobying, corruption and subsidies).
what ? We won like 22 Stanley cups out of 24 before the Nords came into the league. How did they make us better than we were before ? Quebec's departure from the league has nothing to do with the Habs nosedive during the mid-90's-2000's. It all started when Roy left really and the nordiques had nothing to do with that.

Pyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:08 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
I was thinking about the same, albeit in nicer terms, reading a few posts of this thread. Quite a few misconceptions about Québec.

Not really. In fact, if there is one NA city likely to pluck away high end KHL talent, it's Québec, simply because it's actually pretty common for Russians to learn french as a 2nd language, and the overall european feel of Québec City. You can see how the Remparts managed to lure in great russian kids to play here. Also, french canadians don't mind playing away from home, and I have a hard time believing english speaking canadians are different, and would probably enjoy playing in Québec, if only for the rabid fans. Of course, every player is different. I would simply see more players taking french courses to make getting around the city easier. Nothing new for europeans, english speaking canadians are supposed to have learned french at school (), so the only thing left as problematic are Americans.

But even then, living in a city that safe and relax, with such low crime and so much greenery is going to make quite a few pretty happy to come with their family here.

Second is that the city is still majoritarily a fonctionnaire town. That would have been true 10 years ago. It changed a lot, though. L'Allier managed to diversify Québec's economy greatly, and Labeaume is promoting the city non-stop for pretty much anybody interrested in starting a business. You have to work hard to avoid jobs here. I've been working for the same firm (IT infrastructures company which I won't name ^_^) for 2 years now, and I still get phones for serious offers from others.

Anybody claiming they have a problem finding a job in Québec is either a very lazy person or a guy that's working in quite an obscure branch. Geez, restaurants are closing because they can't get personnel, because fewer and fewer people have to fall back to menial jobs because they have troubles finding something good. My friend works in a storage room for Metro... for 16$ an hour. It's crazy how salaries shot up in the last 5 years. Companies just can't keep their employees due to competition.

Plus, Québec now has a better $/year average per capita than Montréal, which wasn't the case 15 years ago when the Nords took the plane south. So, economically, from the business and the fans standpoints, no problem. I have 5k set aside to buy a season ticket. Many of my friends do too. The team's going to strice, no problem.

Add to that the fact that Saguenay seems to be getting out of the **** they were in a couple years ago, and we just bumped our possible fanpool about 200k. I've been cheering for a team that's 2 hours away for a long time, it's not that hard

As soon as Charest, Harper and Labeaume sign the papers starting the consutruction of the new arena, I'm sure it'll go down really, really fast. Maybe the team'll play even 1 season at the Colisée, it hasn't been ruled out.

(Note: I wish also to point out that people like me, born in Chicoutimi and living in Québec, who do speak english fluently, are not a rarity in Québec. Less common than in Montréal, yes, but not a dying breed. We're far from the 1995 referendum days)
Thanks. Sums up my thoughts although I felt they would be blasted by French haters or whatever.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Not true. Many French Canadians like to watch movies in their original version too. So the theaters there are showing them too.
Not a lot. And the few that come out in their original version like the blockbusters like Robin Hood or Twilight, etc...they don't stay in theatres very long.

Anyway let's ask PK Peladeau to just build a Cineplex for the players.

But i'm worried about the contruction of this thing. They talk about the new arena all the time and nobody's given any money yet. They say the progect is ready, they want to do it yet nothing is being done. Do it already!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
The english hatin' that goes on there can be pretty bad. In Montreal there's a fair amount of english speaking people, Quebec is much more french than Montreal is. Some players don't want to have to learn yet another language.
Are you an extraterrestial? I've lived in QC all my life. English hatin'? How can you have english hating if there's no enlish to hate there?

There's not a lot of english films because the population is 90% french. It's like this for all the towns outside of Montreal in the province(except Hull/Gatineau). Theatre owners don't want to lose their shirt. And say this as someone that prefers Hollywood movies in english. Even the blockbusters, if it's english, I usualy am one of the few people in the room. They make zero $$$.

Old
07-10-2010, 03:00 AM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Not true. Many French Canadians like to watch movies in their original version too. So the theaters there are showing them too.
I lived there for 10 months and they don't have any english theatre, sometime big movies will have a few showings in english but it's generally not that popular (worked on the road and the radio announcer we're encouraging people to go)

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
WTH are you saying??

Quebec is a city of Saints, where everybody is better than anybody outside of the city of Quebec.

People of Quebec city are much better, simply because they kept with the French language, and didn't sell-out and assimilate with the colonists!!!

If ever they have a team, WATCHOUT!!! because they're gonna draft exclusively French and because of that, they will end-up having the first dynasty to win 10 cups in a row, with Patrick Roy holding all the roles of President, GM, assistant-GM, Head Coach, Assistant Coach, Goalie coach, head of player developmen, head scout and waterboy. Angelo Esposito will be his first trade, and the kid will go on to totally eclipse Crosby and will beat Wayne's many records.

Sorry for the rant, I needed some sarcasm to come out... met so many people from Quebec in my life, and, well, that's the impression most have left on me.
You never disappoint me Ozymandias. The number one Xenophobes in these boards, feeling threatened because Quebec is french. Did you know that being french is a sin?

Old
07-10-2010, 04:13 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
WTH are you saying??

Quebec is a city of Saints, where everybody is better than anybody outside of the city of Quebec.

People of Quebec city are much better, simply because they kept with the French language, and didn't sell-out and assimilate with the colonists!!!

If ever they have a team, WATCHOUT!!! because they're gonna draft exclusively French and because of that, they will end-up having the first dynasty to win 10 cups in a row, with Patrick Roy holding all the roles of President, GM, assistant-GM, Head Coach, Assistant Coach, Goalie coach, head of player developmen, head scout and waterboy. Angelo Esposito will be his first trade, and the kid will go on to totally eclipse Crosby and will beat Wayne's many records.

Sorry for the rant, I needed some sarcasm to come out... met so many people from Quebec in my life, and, well, that's the impression most have left on me.
It's great that you met so many people from Quebec in your life. You are someone very unique around here and that probably gives you a very intimate and singular knowledge of the Quebec anthropological and psychological evolution, enough to give you the right to establish such generalizations.

I wish I had your luck.

Old
07-10-2010, 04:47 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
If not to form an instant classic rivalry, then bring back the Nordiques to weed out 95% of our annoying fan/press who scream to have a full french team. I'd really like there to be a Quebec expansion, no moves. Moves break my heart.
For sure. It would be a huge difference, no longer would separatist politicians make giant rants about french in habdom.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
For sure. It would be a huge difference, no longer would separatist politicians make giant rants about french in habdom.
I'd rather see politicians push towards the advancement of our hockey system. The main reason the Habs don't have that much french speaking players, and that they aren't drafting much, is that they're getting pretty ******* rare.

A team in Québec City wouldn't have a much bigger Québécois roster.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
freiheit

By seeing the passion shown in this thread, I suppose the rivalry between the Habs and the Nordiques would be easily revived...

I'm not sure yet for which camp I'd cheer though...

freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
French in habdom and Quebec politicians must really annoy you in Vancouver...

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:25 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post

Yeah, and they're almost done building the road between Chicoutimi and Quebec. Me and my girlfriend took 1h30 to go to Quebec last summer. No more : ''I would like to go to Quebec this weekend but there's a snowstorm coming.''

The road is a lot safer now.

A lot of people from saguenay lac-st-jean would go to watch the good old Nords play.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry_Dupoignet View Post
I sense Couche-tard as a potencial partner for the new Colisee.

Just imagine a Colisee Couche-Tard
The rival teams would say...Nordicks at ******-tards coliseum...

It would be such a great match!
Would make a lot of sense, seeing as it'll be in Quebec.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Don't get your hopes too high. The Montreal CanadiEns history has always been closely associated with the French Canadians (formely called "Canadiens"), and that won't change because the Nordiques are there. The French speaking fans won't abandon their much beloved team just because there's another team in a French speaking market.

What would be more logical was if the Montreal Maroons were coming back in the league, and then all the anglophones from Montreal would stop cheering for the Habs, and cheer for the Maroons instead. Just like it was before. To each language their own team! Hehe, just kidding of course.

The French haters are in for a bad surprise if Québec get a team

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with you, however a country has held the olympic games twice in 12 years.

Winter Olympics 1964, 1976 both in austria.

USA:

1932, 1960, 1980, 2002 Winter
1904, 1932, 1984, 1996 Summer

Canada

1976 Montreal Winter
1988 Calgary Summer

Italy

1956 Winter
1960 Summer

Etc...

not to nitpick but it was Montreal Summer and Calgary Winter

Cloudigger is offline   Reply With Quote