HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers agree to terms w/ Dan Girardi (4 yrs/$3.325M per)

Old
07-09-2010, 03:46 PM
rvdnsx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

wow.

I know some people dont like Girardi here but, seriously? Danny is a 2.75-3.75Mil dollar defenseman depending on what you can leverage against him. 3.325mil for him is not a bad deal. its marginally higher than i would have gone, but it also buys out UFA years, which is huge. Girardi on the UFA market gets 3.5 mil fairly easily.
I was a Girardi fan...when he played like he gave a damn his rookie season. The Gaborik incident just magnified the fact that he just simply doesn't care enough about his team. Look at a guy like Paul Mara. He had a good shot and was relatively aggressive but had little else. But we was a team guy, he was vocal, he would take notice when players on other teams ran Jagr and Co. Is Mara a 3 Million dollar defenseman? Heck no but I'd much rather have a guy like him for less money who actually plays like he wants to be here. Too many times last year you'd see Girardi take a pass, look at the net and wrist a weak shot that gets blocked 80% of the time.

Trust me, this deal will come back and haunt us for the next 4 years unless Girardi steps up his game. 3.3 Million for a defenseman who puts up 20 points and a -2 for the season? Just to compare stats, our whipping boy Wade Redden was a +8 and Staal was +11. Those stats show he is not great offensively or defensively. I know we are all somewhat biased towards our own players but look at it as a neutral observer if you were a fan of another team. I'm not just making this up, just read what other fans are saying about the deal on the main board. Girardi is a 2-2.5 Million dollar guy at most at this point.

Last edited by rvdnsx: 07-09-2010 at 03:54 PM.
rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
That's one way of looking at it. Just as much as you hear that, you also hear "Shot blocked by Girardi". Top 10 last year in blocked shots. I know he's not flashy but come on, he's not bottom of the barrel.
What i've noticed with a lot of Ranger fans Matty is that if your D-man is't rushing up the ice like leetch, putting up points like Zubov or hitting like Beauk, he usually sucks. Not many people appreciate good solid defending, something that is hard as hell to teach. Girardi is solid. You know what your getting from him and I still think his game is growing. If he's needed to be moved in the future, his contrct isn't awful, he could be moved for 2 players making 1.5 (and then move them) or whatever. This isn't Wade Redden's contract here. Very happy with it.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
What i've noticed with a lot of Ranger fans Matty is that if your D-man is't rushing up the ice like leetch, putting up points like Zubov or hitting like Beauk, he usually sucks. Not many people appreciate good solid defending, something that is hard as hell to teach. Girardi is solid. You know what your getting from him and I still think his game is growing. If he's needed to be moved in the future, his contrct isn't awful, he could be moved for 2 players making 1.5 (and then move them) or whatever. This isn't Wade Redden's contract here. Very happy with it.
Which is why some people dont appreciate post-Jagr Rozsival, either.

Of all the contracts to ***** about, one of our home-grown successful projects who plenty other teams in the league would love to have, you choose him?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
You have to look beyond this year. What would teams logically have paid for him next year. You're being extremely short sighted and I get the feeling nothing I say will snap you out of it. We didn't have any bidders to compete against this year but next year we might have had to keep him for well above 3.25 (like with Roszival's overpayment)
i understand that we save money by have him signed through UFA years

what your missing is that I want NOTHING to do with him at UFA prices and further more, i dont think we needed him locked up for 4 years

i dont think hes worth more than 5mil over 2 years, and he would get traded at the deadline of that 2nd year

in my opinion he's a bottom pairing dman that has been forced to play top pairing minutes by a weak roster. He's going to get overpaid in free agnecy and i think a team would overpay for him at the trade deadline as well

i also think he should use that first check to take Marc Staal and Henrik out to dinner someplace nice cause they've done wonders for his career

i feel like i should add that im not really that upset over the contract, its a far cry from a redden-like deal thats going to hurt us for years, i just dont think girardi's that good and i would have preffered to see less of a commitment to him

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
eco's bones

I like Girardi but that's a bit pricey. Rather they had held the line between $2.5 and 3. It's not outrageous though. IMO he's at least equal to Rozsival who is certainly making too much but who is at least a fairly dependable top 4 player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Chimp

Very disappointing contract. Seems like everyone have to be overpaid to play here. NYR won't even sniff a Stanley Cup in 10 more years minimum.

If Girardi is worth $3.325, what is Staal worth? $5m? Terrible. Seems alot of people think he's easily worth $3m from his statz, but I don't care about his statz. I care about his on ice performance, which has been very disappointing.

Last edited by Chimp: 07-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
I was a Girardi fan...when he played like he gave a damn his rookie season. The Gaborik incident just magnified the fact that he just simply doesn't care enough about his team. Look at a guy like Paul Mara. He had a good shot and was relatively aggressive but had little else. But we was a team guy, he was vocal, he would take notice when players on other teams ran Jagr and Co. Is Mara a 3 Million dollar defenseman? Heck no but I'd much rather have a guy like him for less money who actually plays like he wants to be here. Too many times last year you'd see Girardi take a pass, look at the net and wrist a weak shot that gets blocked 80% of the time.

Trust me, this deal will come back and haunt us for the next 4 years unless Girardi steps up his game. 3.3 Million for a defenseman who puts up 20 points and a -2 for the season? Just to compare stats, our whipping boy Wade Redden was a +8 and Staal was +11. Those stats show he is not great offensively or defensively. I know we are all somewhat biased towards our own players but look at it as a neutral observer if you were a fan of another team. I'm not just making this up, just read what other fans are saying about the deal on the main board. Girardi is a 2-2.5 Million dollar guy at most at this point.
Mara could barely skate, let alone defend in his own zone. He could clear the crease, and drop the gloves, but that's about it. Girardi is precisely 164% better defensively than Mara. ()

And we could give a crap about what other people are saying about our signing. Actually, the majority of the people posting there are praising Girardi, but that's irrelevant since they don't watch him as much as we do. We're the NYR's. We could sign Crosby for 10 years @50M, and fans around the league would still put us down.

By the way, Marek Malik lead the league in +/- a few years back. MDZ was a -19 last season. And Gilroy was 'even' in the +/- department. Why does this matter? It doesn't, actually. Girardi's -2 last year is meaningless considering our team couldn't score goals for their life.

Deep down inside, I'll agree that Girardi got a bit more than I think he should have. But that bit more isn't dramatic enough to even consider.

Seems like pretty much every single hockey player this summer got a bit more than they should have. I guess that's what happens when the Cap jumps a bit.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Very disappointing contract. Seems like everyone have to be overpaid to play here. NYR won't even sniff a Stanley Cup in 10 more years minimum.

If Girardi is worth $3.325, what is Staal worth? $5m? Terrible. Seems alot of people think he's easily worth $3m from his statz, but I don't care about his statz. I care about his on ice performance, which has been very disappointing.
Staal is younger and not arbitration eligible like Girardi was. They aren't as comparable as you think.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Mara could barely skate, let alone defend in his own zone. He could clear the crease, and drop the gloves, but that's about it. Girardi is precisely 164% better defensively than Mara. ()
Well, I disagree with that. I thought Mara was one of our better defense men. He has better skating ability and a better shot than Girardi. I've just noticed that Mara has gotten either a lot of praise or a lot of flack from fans. There seems to be no in between for him. That being said, I think Girardi, overall, is a better defense man.

I think the price tag of $3.325 million is a bit pricey for Girardi but it is a contract I can stomach. He's a solid stay at home defense man and both he and Staal make one solid defensive pairing. With that signing and Staal still in the works I'm not quite sure how we're going to be under the cap for next season. Glad to see a NYR player getting a nice pay check though. He was one of the guys I wanted to stay around.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:26 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Overpaid by about 750K. Oh well. I guess going 4 years is why he got more money.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Considering he would be a UFA next year, fair price tag.

He would go for quite a bit more on the open market and Sather just bought up 3 UFA years which is why the contract is higher.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
What i've noticed with a lot of Ranger fans
It's not just Rangers fans. It's most fans in general that have a fundamental misunderstanding of the position. It's the least glamorous position. The least flashy position. And fans don't really like paying attention to it. Their opinions are shaped by the most eye catching plays and by the expectations they have manufactured.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

Good deal. Slightly overpaid, but he's rarely disappointed me on the ice. He is a very steady d-man who has a slight offensive touch to his game. When you compare him to other d-men on the market, he got the right price tag.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I have actually given up expecting a good deal now when i see we have either signed or re-signing players. For a franchise as big and attractive as ours why do we have to overpay EVERY player we have?

Its not a nightmare contract but its something i just dont get. Is it Sather's inability to say sorry your not worth the money we will explore other options.

I like Girardi, he did piss me off with the Gaborik incident but i do think at most the contract should have been $3m per.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I like Girardi, he did piss me off with the Gaborik incident but i do think at most the contract should have been $3m per.
3 out of 4 years of his contract are UFA years... You think he is worth only $3mil on the open market? He was paid more due to him losing 3 years of UFA.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:55 PM
OverTheCap

This can be a good deal IF Girardi is more consistent in the coming years.

We need to see more of the Girardi that is steady and looks like a top pairing d-man and less of the one that loses his man and stands around near the crease.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Is it Sather's inability to say sorry your not worth the money we will explore other options.
Didn't Sather do that with Zherdev just last year? Didn't he do that with Lisin this year?

Fair deal... and about what he is worth over the life of the next 4 years of his career.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Gresch04

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
It's not just Rangers fans. It's most fans in general that have a fundamental misunderstanding of the position. It's the least glamorous position. The least flashy position. And fans don't really like paying attention to it. Their opinions are shaped by the most eye catching plays and by the expectations they have manufactured.
Well this is why I like the 1st-round pick this year - look at how far Pronger took Philly playing 30 minutes a game, clearing the crease, and scoring a bit. If our 1st-round pick can do a similar job defensively and intimidate - he's a great pick bc that's rare these days - I don't care if he's the best skater or ever scores a goal. We need FEAR and right now no one scares the opposition.

It's also why I don't like Gerardi much. He intimidates no one, is not big enough to win the front of the net battles with the better players, and doesn't score consistently enough (I expect a few more points and less streaky for $3.3M).

In today's game you pay $6-7M for a top d-man and $2.5 max for a Gerardi-type. $3.3M gets you more IMO.

Gresch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I just think its a little higher than what i would have liked but as i said it isnt a massive overpayment so i am fine with it.

Just lose Redden for the love of god please

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Crease

I'm fine with the contract. I'm more happy that we finally seem to have some consistency in the line-up. No more revolving door of Ulanov's, Ozalinsh's, Pock's, Purinton's, Mirinov's, etc.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Where do you people come up with this nonsense? Group III NHL defensemen with a pulse receive $3 million. Just look at the players in that age group who are good NHL defensemen. Players with arbitration rights get very good money. The players without arbitration rights get good money.

Quote:
Dan Girardi's deal: $3.1m this season; $3.4 next three
http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/18158486011

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
KRM

Too much...

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
RangerBlues

How is this overpaid?
Hjalmarsson just got a 4 year 14 mill offer with draft picks attached.
Seems to be a fair deal.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where do you people come up with this nonsense? Group III NHL defensemen with a pulse receive $3 million. Just look at the players in that age group who are good NHL defensemen. Players with arbitration rights get very good money. The players without arbitration rights get good money.

http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/18158486011

**** the money. It's about performance.

Girardi sucks. I dont want him on the Rangers anymore. Screw the cap. I'm sick of seeing him magically "lose" men who saunter into the slot area like their going for a stroll at the Botanical Gardens

I thought NYC was the one place in the world where you dont get rewarded for mediocrity. Instead, you get a bus ticket and a Snapple.

Girardi's run a nice little scam on the Rangers.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Axxion89

Everyone here is acting like we had sooooooooo many options availible to us. 3.25 is NOT bad at all. We have D PROSPECTS, not sure fire NHL'ers. I hope to God that McD, Mcilrath and co pan out well but the fact is we need proven guys to play on our blueline. If we were to say to Girardi you're not worth a penny over 2.75 mill (my value of him) and he walks then we have one less D-man. Also, we need to sign Staal and if someone were to offer sheet him to a ridiculous contract, then we could lose him too. People have to think bigger picture than just a cap hit. We avoid arbitration, we avoid him being UFA next season, we secure our D-Line, what more do you people want Look what happened with Hjammer, he is HUGELY overpaid so if you guys want to feel better, then look at him and the other overpaid D-Man across the league (Hamhuis, Volchenkov, Martin).

My little rant

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote