HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne

Old
07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If Sather was so calculated that he wanted to leave for Redden's cap hit,he would hard ball Staal in a similar fashion St.Louis is doing with Erik Johnson. They are refusing to negotiate a long term deal with Johnson who is also a group II with no arbitration rights. Sather wants to give Staal a long term deal which is going to cost $4.25-$4.75 million per. Where is that money money coming from?
Where did you read that?

Staal wants a short term deal, EJ wants a long term. STL wants a short term, and Sather wants a long term. Sounds like we should get JD on the phone.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:52 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Where did you read that?

Staal wants a short term deal, EJ wants a long term. STL wants a short term, and Sather wants a long term. Sounds like we should get JD on the phone.
lol May be JD will be drunk when Sather calls and accepts the offer. Staal for EJ. I'd crap myself haha.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Removing Redden completly from the Rangers books is really the solution to just about all of the teams salary cap problems.
Not really surprising. Being able to correct your biggest mistake would often make things much better.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:07 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Not really surprising. Being able to correct your biggest mistake would often make things much better.
Ofcoarse, just how happy it would make myself and just about every Rangers fan was what I was alluding to. It would be a quick fix to this teams cap issues and make things 100x's easier to getting that #1 center. According to several posters on here, once the Rangers get that (and imo the sooner the better because of the prime ages of Gaborik and Lundqvist) the Rangers could be closer to being a Stanley Cup contender.

Old
07-15-2010, 09:11 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Do you think another NHL would take a shot at him?

EDIT: Removing Redden completly from the Rangers books is really the solution to just about all of the teams salary cap problems. They could go out and sign a Kovalchuk or a Richards/Thornton/Koivu etc with little to no problems with the summer cap this year and next. Then with Rozsival and Drury coming off the books in two years, the only real large contracts would be Gaborik, Lundqvist, and Richards/Thornton/Koivu/Kovalchuk. Better then the current Drury, Redden, Roszival, Gaborik, and Lundqvist.

Not to mention Girardi and (Hopefully) Staal locked up to good deals for a good amount of years.
Who knows? We do know no NHL team would take a flyer on him for 6, but for less maybe. Even if there isn't and he thinks there is I don't care if ever plays another game of hockey in his life, so long as he thinks too highly of himself to report to Hartford.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Chief

Quote:
He missed 24 games last season due to hernia(s) in his right groin. Also missed 4 games due to foot surgery(Scored 17 goals in 58 games / 9 goals in 19 games in the playoffs). Twp season's ago he missed 2 games because of a sholder injury and 1 game because of the flu (Scored 34 goals). Three season's ago, he missed 27 games and the entire playoffs due to a concussion, 6 games due to a groin injury, and 26 games to what TSN calls "Dizzyness" aka concussion lol (Scored 9 goals in 25 games). The rest of his season's he was pretty healthy, netting 41 and 47 goals the two years before that.
Just to follow up...He's had 3 seasons where he missed a large chunk of the seasons but those three are interspersed between the others where he was actually quite durable. Here's his games played:

09-10 - 58 games played
08-09 - 79
07-08 - 25
06-07 - 76
05-06 - 72
03-04 - 80
02-03 - 46
01-02 - 79
00-01 - 69
99-00 - 80

I've often thought Gagne was underrated. Is he perfect? No, but beggars can't be choosers and the fact that he might not be perfect makes him more easily aqcuired than if there were no knocks against him.

And I still don't see Gagne being traded to the Rangers.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:35 AM
FOXHOUND*

The only way this happens is if gange and his agent seek out the rangers and he determines that he'd like to play there, then be goes back to Philly and says "I'll only waive my NTC and accept a trade to the rangers" Phillys hands would be tied in that situation.

And to be honest, I'd be willing to bet he'd like to be on a team in the Atlantic in order to stick it to Philly, because he doesn't seem too happy about basically being forced off the team and out of his home since day 1.

Old
07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
The only way this happens is if gange and his agent seek out the rangers and he determines that he'd like to play there, then be goes back to Philly and says "I'll only waive my NTC and accept a trade to the rangers" Phillys hands would be tied in that situation.

And to be honest, I'd be willing to bet he'd like to be on a team in the Atlantic in order to stick it to Philly, because he doesn't seem too happy about basically being forced off the team and out of his home since day 1.
I could see that happening as well. I don't think Philly has handled this very well. What better way to get back at a team then get to play against them at least 6 times this season? Not to mention if he says he will only accept a trade to the Rangers (Or any other Atlantic team for that matter), it will drastically decrease he trade value.

A double wammy right there.

Old
07-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
If he would come really really cheap in a trade, sure. (like a 2nd rounder cheap)

He won't fall to us in waivers.
Bull ****. People also thought Fowler or Gormley would NEVER fall to us at ten.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Slightly different situation. Or, completely different really.

And I'd say he wouldn't fall to us through waivers. Stranger things have happened but it's incredibly doubtful.

I'd love Gagne on this team. One year left at $5.25? I'll take it. Especially when it means Redden is gone.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Dude, the islanders would take him just to reach the cap floor, and you don't think Edmonton or toronto could use more scoring? It's just not happening.

Old
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
UAGoalieGuy

There is a "rumor" of Philly trading Gagne and Hartnell to the Kings. Don't know how legit this source is:

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/ar..._Kings/2885997

Really don't see the Kings taking on Gagne AND Hartnell. Hartnell's contract is pretty bad. Three more years with a cap hit of $4.2 million. Also don't see Gagne waiving his NTC to go out west (Just imo).

Old
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
There is a "rumor" of Philly trading Gagne and Hartnell to the Kings. Don't know how legit this source is:

Really don't see the Kings taking on Gagne AND Hartnell. Hartnell's contract is pretty bad. Three more years with a cap hit of $4.2 million. Also don't see Gagne waiving his NTC to go out west (Just imo).
Hartnell is the epitome of an LA King under Lombardi. People were going on and on about how bad Ryan Smith's contract was and how bad of a trade it was for the Kings. Then look at Smith's number last season until he got hurt, right there at the top of the league. A seamless fit and he made their PP deadly. They have a great regular season team, they just need tweaks for the playoffs. Then you see how Hartnell's game fits the west coast and the Kings, realize how he was maybe Philly's best player throughout the playoffs, his contract isn't that bad after all.

In fact, the only problem I see with that rumor is I don't think Philly parts with him. I would love to see Philly trade Gagne and Hartnell then give Kovalchuk $9m+ a year. Proven playoff guys replaced by Me, Myself and I(lya). If that trade happened, I am on a flight to Vegas and dropping cash on the Kings to win the cup at the 15 or 20 to 1 its sitting at.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

If that was to occur, there's no way LA could also sign Kovalchuk. Might just be a rumor floated to get the Kovalchuk team back to the bargaining table.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Hartnell is the epitome of an LA King under Lombardi. People were going on and on about how bad Ryan Smith's contract was and how bad of a trade it was for the Kings. Then look at Smith's number last season until he got hurt, right there at the top of the league. A seamless fit and he made their PP deadly. They have a great regular season team, they just need tweaks for the playoffs. Then you see how Hartnell's game fits the west coast and the Kings, realize how he was maybe Philly's best player throughout the playoffs, his contract isn't that bad after all.

In fact, the only problem I see with that rumor is I don't think Philly parts with him. I would love to see Philly trade Gagne and Hartnell then give Kovalchuk $9m+ a year. Proven playoff guys replaced by Me, Myself and I(lya). If that trade happened, I am on a flight to Vegas and dropping cash on the Kings to win the cup at the 15 or 20 to 1 its sitting at.
How would the Kings fit the extra $18.45 million under the salary cap (Gagne at $5.25, Hartnell at $4.2, and Kovalchuk at $9)?

Old
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How would the Kings fit the extra $18.45 million under the salary cap (Gagne at $5.25, Hartnell at $4.2, and Kovalchuk at $9)?
Or did he mean Kovalchuk to the Flyers?

07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Or did he mean Kovalchuk to the Flyers?
ooo may be. Kinda confusing now looking at it lol. I think that if the Flyers traded Gagne ($5.25) and Hartnell ($4.2) and was somehow able to not have to take any salary back from the Kings, then give Kovalchuk $9 million per year, they'd be in the same spot just about that they are now, about $2 million over the cap.

Old
07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
ooo may be. Kinda confusing now looking at it lol. I think that if the Flyers traded Gagne ($5.25) and Hartnell ($4.2) and was somehow able to not have to take any salary back from the Kings, then give Kovalchuk $9 million per year, they'd be in the same spot just about that they are now, about $2 million over the cap.
There's no way they're going to dump salary on LA for nothing coming back so the point is moot.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Matteau Matteau

Not sure if this has been posted, but I didn't see it if it was:

Quote:
The Flyers--who recently signed Nikolai Zherdev to a one year $2 million-dollar contract--are looking to trade Gagne and the one year he has remaining on his $5.25 million-dollar cap hit. This actually works out well for the New York Rangers; they can certainly use the extra scoring punch.
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2010/...mon-gagne-is-a

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Zherdev was the better deal, but Gagne could really still fill in as a secondary scoring threat this team so desperately needs.

Id be interested to see Rangerboy break down the cap on this one, can we stay under the summer cap with Gagne and Staal?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Zherdev was the better deal, but Gagne could really still fill in as a secondary scoring threat this team so desperately needs.

Id be interested to see Rangerboy break down the cap on this one, can we stay under the summer cap with Gagne and Staal?
If staal gets 4.5 then we'd make it under

Old
07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
DekeR

I would have taken Z back at 2M than Gagne with the concussion issues. If Philly were to offer Gagne to an Atl Div team, I think that I would be a little apprehensive. What better way to sabatage a rival with damaged goods or a step away from damaged goods that are hard to prove.
Its like how many head hits does Dru have left in him?
But then again Z didn't work to Torts liking.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote