HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Official 2010 Offseason Thread Part II

Old
07-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

vCash: 500
This is from the N & O today in an article about Nash, he is speaking about Francis in this quote:

Quote:
"He's one of the greatest hockey player to ever play," Nash said. "It would be nice to have him showing me the way. But there are still a lot of decisions to be made and guys have to step up in their spots.

"If it comes to that point where he's helping me out, that would be awesome. If not, I'm sure the AHL staff will do a great job. I have all the faith and trust in this organization and it was just a really good week."
sounds like he has dropped that disinterest in the AHL and accepted that he may have to do some time there, whether this season or next. A step in the right direction. Sounds like he is really happy here so far.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, once the World Cup is over after tomorrow I'm out of stuff to do for the summer. I'll probably just end up hitting the gym like crazy and drinking a lot of beer (yes I realize the irony of that).
Bandwagon the Braves. Having a damn good season right now.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Nash is saying all the right things for sure, but I would feel a lot better if he would speak with the ink.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
Bandwagon the Braves. Having a damn good season right now.
lol it just so happens that I have been a braves fan all my life, mostly cause my whole dad's family lives in GA and thats where I was born and have visited many times. They went through a few seasons of very mediocre play here recently but wow they are on fire once again, it is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Nash is saying all the right things for sure, but I would feel a lot better if he would speak with the ink.
agreed, but I do like the fact that what he said there basically contradicted what his coach said, and Ill be honest, I like it a bit better from the horses mouth. All in all, it doesnt matter unless he signs.

Old
07-11-2010, 01:09 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
wow, i'm bored with the off season right now... I need some hockey, but it's still so damn far away UGH
I just did my daily tour of my favorite sports websites in about three minutes. Now what?

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I just did my daily tour of my favorite sports websites in about three minutes. Now what?
If several of us post the same thing on a few websites, we can start a new rumor about NCAA conference realignment. Perception becomes reality.

That should be good for a few weeks.

I heard Notre Dame is going to join the ACC.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:49 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

App to big ten

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

UT Longhorns, TA&M, TT to join Houston, Rice, UTEP in C-USA

Old
07-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I scratched my forehead today... Just thought I'd throw that out there

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:46 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
I scratched my forehead today... Just thought I'd throw that out there
Tell us what was going on in Raleigh last night... I was driving 64 west towards the beltline, and i saw like dozen or more police cars going in the opposite direction flashing and with the sirens on.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:19 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Speaking of Nash:

Watch the shifts from 6:15 to about 8:45 (Nash's [he's #14] line doesn't come on until about 7:30). Pretty amazing shift but I was pretty impressed by his skills. Also a guest appearance from Justin Krueger [#5]. I hope we can get Nash signed.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Well it's sports related, so I thought would post it here. 60 year old NRHA Top Alcohol Dragster driver Mark Niver was killed this afternoon at the end of a race when the parachutes meant to slow the car down somehow became disconnected from the car right after they deployed, leaving him with too little space to slow the car down safely with just brakes. He ran into the embankment at the end of the crash and the article says it was so hard that it crumpled the front end of the car into the driver seat. He was a 30 year professional in NHRA drag racing.

RIP Mark Niver

Old
07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

This isnt really Canes related...but does anyone think Zherdev and Lavi can coexist in Philly??

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
This isnt really Canes related...but does anyone think Zherdev and Lavi can coexist in Philly??
Hard to say, in my estimation. We never really had a comparable player here during his tenure that didn't really mesh with his system. Laviolette seemed very malleable when it came to the style of forwards he was given.

The closest would have been Sergei Samsonov, who actually thrived under Laviolette compared to Maurice. How much of that was coincidental would be up for debate, obviously, but he would be the closest comparison.

I thought about including Radim Vrbata in that group, but he's not nearly as skilled as Samsonov or Zherdev. He totally modified his game after his departure from Carolina into a defensively responsible player and a really underrated player. I would love to have the current incarnation of that guy here.

I think more than anything, Laviolette's system is predicated on speed and playing the style you feel comfortable playing. Very few restrictions upon what you "have to" do in the offensive zone. Especially for wingers. 05-06 was the perfect storm of player styles meeting cohesively without a lot of distracting coaching to muss with chemistry. I think Zherdev's success there will be entirely up to him.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
MD
#woofwoof

kind of random, but what do you think Sutter's next contract will be like?

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
isnt that something that will be figured out based on his play between now and then?

Old
07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
isnt that something that will be figured out based on his play between now and then?
As of now, he's looking at 2.5 and 3.5 million per, IMO. It also depends on how many UFA years the contract will eat up, if any

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
As of now, he's looking at 2.5 and 3.5 million per, IMO. It also depends on how many UFA years the contract will eat up, if any
I guess we'll see. If he plays as well as he did last season, or even gets better, then yeah I see a nice contract coming up for him.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I doubt we'll see a super long term deal for Sutter when he comes up. There is already too much long term money on the books with Ward and Staal there.

I would say that Sutter's second contract may look something like Jordan Staal's second contract on a lower scale. Something like $3.0 to $3.5 for 4 years instead of $4 million.

Also, I think the days of back loading contracts so they can be moved easier in the future should it come to that are over. Carolina as an organization can't really afford to have cap hits as less than actual salary they are paying out because that means they have to compete even harder to hit the salary floor. That's one part of Brind'Amour's contract that is favorable to the organization. Fortunately, since his contract was 35+ they are able to count that number toward the floor. That took a huge financial burden off. They essentially paid $2 million for $3.5 "showing" on the books. Conversely, when guys like Staal get deep into their contract it's going to be problematic as we will be paying far more than the hit.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Tell us what was going on in Raleigh last night... I was driving 64 west towards the beltline, and i saw like dozen or more police cars going in the opposite direction flashing and with the sirens on.
About what time? Where exactly were you?

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:36 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
About what time? Where exactly were you?
around 9PM +/- 30 minutes. Driving on 64 from Knightdale towards Raleigh, just a mile or two from the i440 belt line.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
I think we'll see something along the lines of what we saw with Eric Staal. Sutter will come off his Entry Level Contract this season and my best guess would be to then re-sign him for 3 years or so, as Eric did. After that contract, it would run Sutter to the end of the 2013-2014 season and he'll be hitting his prime at 25 years of age. I would imagine at that time we would lock him up to a long term deal at a solid price as we'd be taking some UFA years away. JR is sky high on Sutter, so if he has a solid year this year he'll get a nice 3-year deal to really solidify himself for a nice longterm contract, I would think. Our true core in my opinion for the long-term is likely Staal, Sutter, Ward based on what we know today. We don't have that defenceman yet, Joni is nice but I don't think he's a true core guy like the mentioned are. McBain may turn out to be, we'll see.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think we'll see something along the lines of what we saw with Eric Staal. Sutter will come off his Entry Level Contract this season and my best guess would be to then re-sign him for 3 years or so, as Eric did. After that contract, it would run Sutter to the end of the 2013-2014 season and he'll be hitting his prime at 25 years of age. I would imagine at that time we would lock him up to a long term deal at a solid price as we'd be taking some UFA years away. JR is sky high on Sutter, so if he has a solid year this year he'll get a nice 3-year deal to really solidify himself for a nice longterm contract, I would think. Our true core in my opinion for the long-term is likely Staal, Sutter, Ward based on what we know today. We don't have that defenceman yet, Joni is nice but I don't think he's a true core guy like the mentioned are. McBain may turn out to be, we'll see.
I have to agree about JR and his perception of our core. But I swear I wish he would include Pitkanen in that group too. I don't see how you can have a guy that plays half the game and does it effectively and not realize his relative value. The fact that he's still a #1 guy despite his flaws speaks for his talent level and smarts.

Pitkanen, McBain, and Gleason would be one hell of a core to build around for the future. If we could round that group out with a few more defensive types, it would be one of the more complete groups in the league. Certainly not Flyers or Blackhawks worthy, but in that tier below them.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I have to agree about JR and his perception of our core. But I swear I wish he would include Pitkanen in that group too. I don't see how you can have a guy that plays half the game and does it effectively and not realize his relative value. The fact that he's still a #1 guy despite his flaws speaks for his talent level and smarts.

Pitkanen, McBain, and Gleason would be one hell of a core to build around for the future. If we could round that group out with a few more defensive types, it would be one of the more complete groups in the league. Certainly not Flyers or Blackhawks worthy, but in that tier below them.

I can agree to that. There are things Pitkanen does that put him in the top 10 defenceman in the league, while there are also things he does that can put him outside your 'top pairing defenceman' scale, if you will. He's not perfect, but for this franchise he's likely as good as it gets unless we one day draft ourselves a true stud. We're never likely to sign and pay for a Pronger, Chara, Niedermayer, Keith, Doughty, Seabrook etc. They are too elite and will generally always be too expensive for our budget.

I think by rule of thumb it's always easier to find poor habits about your own and rightfully so because you watch them so much. You generally know them inside and out. For instance, I think many would like and welcome a defenceman like Kevin Bieksa. I think he's just the kind of guy we need to take the load off Gleason. He can skate, play physical, solid in his own end and has an offensive touch. Yet you can find your fair share of Canuck fans who would welcome his departure and could list his flaws fairly quickly. Jay Bouwmeester is another fairly good example. Brian Campbell is good, highly overpaid and has flaws. If he were being paid Joni's 4.5 million I think fans would still pick his game apart and not consider him a true #1 based things they don't like about him. I think it's just human nature. In the game of hockey it is indeed hard to find 'perfect'. You watch a guy regularly and it can come easy to see his imperfections. I think it just comes down to the fact that very, very few defenceman in this league are true, legit, #1 guys who can play to perfection on most nights and don't carry too many flaws. Guys who can be considered elite or mighty close to it in most aspects of the game. With that said, for a market such as ours I think if you accept the defenceman for who he is and what he can do for you while also surrounding him in a supporting cast that benefits his weaknesses, I think it can go a long way. Of course this also all depends on how you want to view and classify a '#1 defenceman'. There are obviously different ways in doing so.

Just for fun, I think there are only a small group of teams in the NHL who have (what I consider anyway) a true, legit, #1 defenceman who carry few flaws. Joni isn't too far off from being a lot of teams' #1 guy, or top pairing to say the least.

I also think our defence core is pretty 'middle of the pack' compared to the 29 other teams and I believe it is good enough to get us by if all goes well. We definitely have our flaws, and likely could use another (besides Gleason) true, steady, in your face, physical yet can skate - kinda guy.

Carolina - Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, McBain, Babchuk, Harrison.

The rest (notables)...

Anaheim - Visnovsky, Lydman, Brookbank.

Atlanta - Bogosian, Hainsey, Enstrom, Oduya, Valabik.

Boston - Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk, Hunwick, Stuart.

Buffalo - Myers, Rivet, Leopold, Montador, Sekera.

Calgary - Bouwmeester, Regher, Sarich, Giordano, White, Staios.

Chicago - Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson, Hendry.

Columbus - Klesla, Commodore, Tyutin, Hejda, Russell, Methot.

Colorado - Liles, Hannan, Quincey, Foote, Cumiskey, Wilson.

Dallas - Robidas, Daley, Skrastins, Fristic, Grossman, Niskanen, Woywitka.

Detroit - Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Ericsson, Meech.

Edmonton - Souray, Gilbert, Whitney, Vandermeer, Foster, Smid.

Florida - McCabe, Wideman, Allen, Kulikov.

LA - Doughty, Johnson, Scuderi, Greene, Drewiske, Harrold.

Minnesota - Burns, Zidlicky, Shutlz, Barker, Zanon.

Montreal - Markov, Gill, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, O'Byrne, Subban.

Nashville - Weber, Suter, Klein, Bouillon, Franson, Parent.

NJ - Volchenkov, Tallinder, White, Salvador, Greene, Salmela.

NYI - Streit, Witt, Eaton, Jurcina, Martinek, Gervais.

NYR - Staal, Redden, Rozsival, Girardi, Del Zotto, Eminger.

Ottawa - Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba, Carkner, Karlsson, Lee.

Philadelphia - Pronger, Timonen, Meszaros, Carle, Coburn.

Phoenix - Jovanovski, Yandle, Morris, Aucoin, Sauer.

Pittsburgh - Martin, Michalek, Orpik, Letang, Goligoski.

SJ - Boyle, Vlasic, Murray, Wallin, Huskins, Demers.

St. Louis - Johnson, Brewer, Jackman, Pietrangelo, Colaiacovo, Polak.

Tampa Bay - Kubina, Ohlund, Hedman, Clark, Walker, Lundin, Lashoff, Smaby, Ranger.

Toronto - Kaberle, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Schenn, Beauchemin, Finger, Lebda.

Vancouver - Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieksa, Salo, Edler, Ehrhoff, O'Brien, Alberts.

Washington - Green, Poti, Shultz, Erskin, Carlson, Alzner, Sloan.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

i find it sad that Harrison was included in our list and not Sanguinetti, I assume by pure assumption that he will be on the roster and not Sangs thanks to contract types