HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

End cap

Old
06-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Burket23

vCash: 500
End cap

The end cap fell out of my 10k and i can't find it. will it hurt the stick if i play with out an end cap. does it make a difference in feel or shot. IDK LET ME KNOW.

Burket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:46 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
They do feel different and if its a cheap stick you may have an issue with the top splitting.

There are many people that take them out because they prefer the different feel, I always use a plug. The important thing to address is that you must cover the end with tape. Leaving it exposed is a hazard and it's an illegal stick in sanctioned leagues outside of pro leagues.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:10 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
They do feel different and if its a cheap stick you may have an issue with the top splitting.

There are many people that take them out because they prefer the different feel, I always use a plug. The important thing to address is that you must cover the end with tape. Leaving it exposed is a hazard and it's an illegal stick in sanctioned leagues outside of pro leagues.
Beat me to it. If you hit someone hard enough with an untaped/uncapped OPS, you could wind up stabbing them.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've never felt a difference but do agree you need to tape it up.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Burket23

it was taped. i got in a scrum and my after it was over the tape on my stick was messed up and cap missing

Burket23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I always take the end cap out of my sticks. I like the feel with the end cap out. I got the idea after I received a practice used Alex Ovechkin stick. He didn't have an end cap on his stick, so I tried it, and loved how it felt.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:21 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I always take the end cap out of my sticks. I like the feel with the end cap out. I got the idea after I received a practice used Alex Ovechkin stick. He didn't have an end cap on his stick, so I tried it, and loved how it felt.
Now you'll lead the league in goals too. An NHL contract will soon follow

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I like having the end cap out too. I played with it out for a good 6 months or so on my favorite stick, put it back in, and don't like the way my shots feel at all. I feel like I can shoot harder without the cap in now. 99% chance it's all in my head, but that's where all the movements start so might as well tailor your equipment to how your head likes it

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:31 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I feel like the stick flexes in my top hand when I leave a cap or plug out. Have any of you tried a U+ end cap? It has a hole in it, I didn't notice a difference between with the U+ end cap or another traditional plug but maybe one of you have/will.

My favorite though is a 3" ash plug.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
IAMCANADIAN

Interesting topic

I thought I was alone in this idea. When cutting the end off of my sons stick this past season, I forgot to put the cap back in (before I taped the end). He pointed this out to me a few games later and I said as long as it is taped you're good to go.

I know it's probably just a coincidence but he had alot more success (using the stick) with the cap out than in. He never mentioned that it felt/handled any differently but the results disagree with that.

He just got a new stick.....I think I'm going to "forget" to put the cap in and see what happens.

Thanks to whoever started this thread....again I thought I was crazy and the only one who noticed this.

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Gino 14

As long as you cover the end of your stick, it's your choice. The end needs to be covered for the protection of you and other players. A stick with no end cap and untaped is illegal to use per USAH rules.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only thing I can think that would make a big difference in feel would be a very light stick and a cap/plug that dampens vibrations for the top hand. I mostly use heavier Harrow sticks that dampen vibrations a lot on their own so I don't notice one way or the other, but I'd think a U+ would feel quite a bit different with a big plug/cap in the end.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote