HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Steve Eminger

Old
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Are people really this bored?

Let the topic go already I say. I swear some of you just argue to argue.

He's a 7th defenseman, a fill in guy. Nothing more. We gave up Aaron ****ing Voros and someone that would of never seen a Hartford uniform let alone a Ranger uniform. Get real.

Argue about something worthwhile at least!

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
JayMan82

Another nice stat in regards to Eminger (not sure if this has been mentioned yet) is that he's a Right hand shot.

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Voros is a terrible fighter, but still better than Anaheim's Parros. That guy gets whooped every time he drops the gloves.
You are not serious when you write this are you? in a 10 fight series 8-0-2 in Favor of Parros and the the 2 draws are when Parros wife fills in for him while he has a drink

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Are people really this bored?

Let the topic go already I say. I swear some of you just argue to argue.

He's a 7th defenseman, a fill in guy. Nothing more. We gave up Aaron ****ing Voros and someone that would of never seen a Hartford uniform let alone a Ranger uniform. Get real.

Argue about something worthwhile at least!
it's this or back to talking about Boogaard

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:22 PM
mti79

Dammit... Sather must have misunderstood the message I left him.

Glen, I said we need another defenseman pretty bad... not another pretty bad defenseman.

My fault guys... I'll try to make myself clearer to Sather in the future.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Dammit... Sather must have misunderstood the message I left him.

Glen, I said we need another defenseman pretty bad... not another pretty bad defenseman.

My fault guys... I'll try to make myself clearer to Sather in the future.
what do you think of his game or are you just assuming he's bad because he's bounced around so many teams? From asking around, other teams' posters think he's a perfectly capable bottom pair d-man. he had his best season under Steve Sullivan in TB where he averaged over 23 minutes over 50 games. He was moved around mostly because he didn't fit into that teams plan - he was 8th on their depth charts and had to pass through waivers to get sent down so they traded him instead. Philly had to package him w/ Downie to get Carle and Tampa Bay traded him because they didn't think they would be able to meet his contract demands. He played in Florida for like 12 games and stupid on them, they walked away with such a small sample size of games. Signed w/ ANA as a UFA and did a decent job there. ANA signed Lydman this offseason so at $1.5M cash owed to him this season, he became a strong candidate to get moved. I really don't know why people are so blindly convinced he is going to be so bad. I don't see him being any worse than Mark Eaton, Scott Hannan, Aaron Ward, or Mike Commodore.

Old
07-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Draft Guru

Browsing through this thread gave me a few good laughs.

Can't believe so many people have their panties in a bunch over a minor deal that actually fills a need AND gets rid of that bum Voros.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:05 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

well maybe Eminger surprises and allows NY to put the Wade in the A. Would everyone at least agree that Eminger cap hit is far superior to Wades ?

I liked Voros as a Ranger but after giving up on Sangs I feel this deal is more about insurance than anything.

Then again there are some decent 4-5-6 dmen available out there.

I like Alex Picard who is now on the Hurricanes but unsigned. 25 years old 193 NHL games played, 6 foot 2

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:47 AM
DekeR

Eminger- nothing flashy, just an average joe on D. Good pickup for replacing the young kids that screw up and need to see the game from the rafters. Saw him play in Tampa- was part of the problem and not part of the solution.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:07 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
what do you think of his game or are you just assuming he's bad because he's bounced around so many teams? From asking around, other teams' posters think he's a perfectly capable bottom pair d-man. he had his best season under Steve Sullivan in TB where he averaged over 23 minutes over 50 games. He was moved around mostly because he didn't fit into that teams plan - he was 8th on their depth charts and had to pass through waivers to get sent down so they traded him instead. Philly had to package him w/ Downie to get Carle and Tampa Bay traded him because they didn't think they would be able to meet his contract demands. He played in Florida for like 12 games and stupid on them, they walked away with such a small sample size of games. Signed w/ ANA as a UFA and did a decent job there. ANA signed Lydman this offseason so at $1.5M cash owed to him this season, he became a strong candidate to get moved. I really don't know why people are so blindly convinced he is going to be so bad. I don't see him being any worse than Mark Eaton, Scott Hannan, Aaron Ward, or Mike Commodore.
I'm not going to lie to you... I really have no idea what type of player Eminger is. I just saw the opportunity for an easy joke and ran with. Thanks for calling me out on it.... you jerk...

I'm hoping that Steve works out well and helps solidify our blue line.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:56 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I'm not going to lie to you... I really have no idea what type of player Eminger is. I just saw the opportunity for an easy joke and ran with. Thanks for calling me out on it.... you jerk...

I'm hoping that Steve works out well and helps solidify our blue line.
lolz. a joke is one thing (something I failed to detect), a lot people seem to be crucifying him before he sets foot on the ice simply by looking at the fact that he's looking at 6 teams in 4 years. I look at the stats and they tell me this isn't someone who is flat out terrible and the circumstances warrant some investigation and that investigation says he is a solid 5-6 d-man who played beyond his capabilities under Steve Sullivan in TB where they had an injury decimated back line and he was forced into a 1-2 role he wasn't entirely suited for but still did ok despite being on the 2nd to last place team that season. I think as long as we aren't expecting him to fill more than a 6-7 role, we'll be rather pleased with him.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
lolz. a joke is one thing (something I failed to detect), a lot people seem to be crucifying him before he sets foot on the ice simply by looking at the fact that he's looking at 6 teams in 4 years. I look at the stats and they tell me this isn't someone who is flat out terrible and the circumstances warrant some investigation and that investigation says he is a solid 5-6 d-man who played beyond his capabilities under Steve Sullivan in TB where they had an injury decimated back line and he was forced into a 1-2 role he wasn't entirely suited for but still did ok despite being on the 2nd to last place team that season. I think as long as we aren't expecting him to fill more than a 6-7 role, we'll be rather pleased with him.
6 teams in 4 years or not, he will have a few brain farts. He might do something nice once in a while and he has a decent shot, but expect some bad plays on his part if his ice time gets up there. That said, if hes a bottom pairing guy hopefully he wont be as bad for you guys.

Unholy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:55 AM
UAGoalieGuy

This move also removes a contract from the 50 contract limit. I think the Rangers have 41 pro contracts right now. When Staal and Sauer re-sign as well as the expected signing of Valetenko, they will have 44 contracts.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Good deal, Voros is dead weight and we can use a 7th D. Clearing Hillier clears another contract off the books too.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Fletch

wow, lots of posts here for a deal that involves a guy many have been looking to get rid of for a couple years and a depth guy - good trade - loose deadweight forward, get a defenseman who has played meaningful minutes in the NHL and if he's beat out would be easily sent to HFD. But hey, he's also a former first rounder who's 20-something and may actually be a decent 3rd pair guy...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

It simply amazes me how everybody is ignoring the fact we took on extra cap dollars for a 7th defenseman. A 7th defenseman who is so bad, he wont see a lick of ice time.

Eminger sucks. No other way to describe it. If there was only one player in the NHL more useless and more expensive than Aaron Voros -- it's Steve Eminger.

I suggest a lot of buy Center Ice and stay up late to watch West Coast games, because a lot of you obviously didnt do that last year. If you had, you would be just as upset as the rest of the people who watched Eminger play. But no, let's take Mike Sullivan's word for it after watching Eminger log garbage mins for a last place team two seasons ago.

And when somebody gets hurt or benched, I really hope you all enjoy Steve Friggin Eminger playing 16-18 mins a night

The truth of the matter is that Voros should have been waived or traded for a 6th or 7th round pick.

And another thing -- when the heck has Torts EVER entertained the idea of dressing 7 d-men?

I hope Eminger's 1.25 cap hit can pay for a lot of suits because that's what he'll be wearing the majority of the season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Dirk316

Ducks fan here with an honest evaluation

Eminger is about as soft as its gets for a Dman, he is scared/petrified of taking a hit which led to non stop turnovers and tons of opposing scoring chances/goals. He is horrible at clearing a crease and gets manhandled by every other player and i am not just talking about power forwards small finesse players are fearless when he is on the ice. He will occasionally throw a check just like every other Dman other than Lidstrom but they are love taps and never remove the puck from the forward. Barring a miracle which includes Eminger doing steroids and joining a boxing gym he will make you wish you had Voros back.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Ducks fan here with an honest evaluation

Eminger is about as soft as its gets for a Dman, he is scared/petrified of taking a hit which led to non stop turnovers and tons of opposing scoring chances/goals. He is horrible at clearing a crease and gets manhandled by every other player and i am not just talking about power forwards small finesse players are fearless when he is on the ice. He will occasionally throw a check just like every other Dman other than Lidstrom but they are love taps and never remove the puck from the forward. Barring a miracle which includes Eminger doing steroids and joining a boxing gym he will make you wish you had Voros back.
sounds like a cheaper wade redden id rather have sheldon brookbank

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:17 AM
DekeR

Like it reads GIGO- garbage in garbage out

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
It simply amazes me how everybody is ignoring the fact we took on extra cap dollars for a 7th defenseman. A 7th defenseman who is so bad, he wont see a lick of ice time.
We took on an extra 125k. You really think that's gonna make a difference? We traded a forward we had no use for and a prospect we had no use for for a dman we have a little use for. So what if he sits in the stands for 40 games? He's the perfect guy to do it.

You'll find no one on this board more concerned with managing the cap than me, and I don't see a problem with this. If he had more than 1 year left on his deal then I'd be upset, but an extra 125k isn't going to make a difference.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
pwoz

Eminger is not THAT bad.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We took on an extra 125k. You really think that's gonna make a difference? We traded a forward we had no use for and a prospect we had no use for for a dman we have a little use for. So what if he sits in the stands for 40 games? He's the perfect guy to do it.

You'll find no one on this board more concerned with managing the cap than me, and I don't see a problem with this. If he had more than 1 year left on his deal then I'd be upset, but an extra 125k isn't going to make a difference.

The way I look at it, they could have found a guy for 750K to do what Eminger is incapable of: play defense.

No it isnt overpaying 125K for a piece of garbage. It actually overpaying 500K or so.

You dont pay 7th d-men 1.25 million. You just dont

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
The way I look at it, they could have found a guy for 750K to do what Eminger is incapable of: play defense.

No it isnt overpaying 125K for a piece of garbage. It actually overpaying 500K or so.

We have plenty of extra cap space this year, unless the Staal signing is astronomically high. Im just happy we have a vet on board in case Redden goes down, and if he doesnt pan out, then he's in the same position Voros would have been in.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

You should talk to Anaheim's GM then, since they gave him that contract. You're getting way too upset over a nothing move. He's insurance, nothing more. His cap hit won't make a difference this year and he's gone next year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Eminger is not THAT bad.
No, he's definitely not. Like I said earlier, many posters here either heap ridiculous praise on a guy or absolutely drill him...there's never any gray area. Eminger is fine for what he is.

Unless other people on our board watched the Caps regularly for years, pre-Ovechkin even, I'm gonna go ahead and say I've seen Eminger more than anyone. He's fine.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote