HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks approach Modano about playing in teal for 2010-2011

Old
07-17-2010, 06:06 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_zero94 View Post
Pavel Bure, maybe...
This is perfect... Bure is the kind of winger a bona fide playmaker like Scott Nichol could really use.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

vCash: 500
lets bring back damphousse as well

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:37 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
lets bring back damphousse as well
Let's try to acquire Chelios from the Thrashers as well...

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Let's try to acquire Chelios from the Thrashers as well...
I think Chelios is a UFA.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:33 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I think Chelios is a UFA.
I think he actually finally indicated he's going to retire too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:35 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 390
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Go back and read comments about Scott Nichol when we acquired him, then consider how he rates with fans in teal today.

Our fans at least are willing to accommodate effort on the ice and forget the past. We are not very patient to players who don't take advantage of the opportunity to wear the sweater, and act like spectators.

I am a fan of the old Modano. I can't say I can predict how he might fit in. What I can suggest is if we trade Seto/Clowe for a defenseman, having a veteran guy like a Nolan or Modano on the 3rd line who can step into a top 6 role for a stretch, will be helpful in both the playoffs and in case of regular season injury.
I dont know about others and issues with scott nichol because i never had a previous issue with him. This is only my personal feelings and in all of sports the stars and modano in particular are near my most hated teams/players. I cant bring myself ever to like or cheer for modano. A similar thing happened in the past when lindros became a ranger, i never really cheered him and im not a lindros fan after donning the blue shirt. At best i could be indifferent to a modano signing after he finished his time here.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:53 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaiholla View Post
I dont know about others and issues with scott nichol because i never had a previous issue with him. This is only my personal feelings and in all of sports the stars and modano in particular are near my most hated teams/players. I cant bring myself ever to like or cheer for modano. A similar thing happened in the past when lindros became a ranger, i never really cheered him and im not a lindros fan after donning the blue shirt. At best i could be indifferent to a modano signing after he finished his time here.
For me, modano is really the exception in that franchise. It's the otts and the turdcos that really piss me off. Other than scoring clutch goals against us he's one of the more respectable,classy guys out there.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:06 PM
StanJohns

as a proud American

and a member of USA Hockey, i cannot fathom how anyone from this country could ever boo a man who has done so much for our sport in the US.

id love to see him come here. i was the first of the crowd to stand up that night when he scored that milestone goal.

It was the first thing i said to Roenick when i met him, and the first thing id say to Modano if i met him, "thank you for your service to the USA"

StanJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
For me, modano is really the exception in that franchise. It's the otts and the turdcos that really piss me off. Other than scoring clutch goals against us he's one of the more respectable,classy guys out there.
He has had two highly public statements that were not complimentary to his character or class. The not being able to feed his dog with regard to salary/lockout pay was one. Not something to say when 99.9% of your fans make less than you do. The other was two-edged regarding Team USA being parsimonious in expecting American NHL Olympians to pay their own way. Ideally Team USA pays. Realistically, they have to take funds from other areas that are dealing with athletes who have much lower regular incomes to do so. On the second statement, I would like to see some real investigative journalism to track his monetary contributions to the Olympic effort to see if he expected some of his own money back which would make the statement reasonable on his part..

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He has had two highly public statements that were not complimentary to his character or class. The not being able to feed his dog with regard to salary/lockout pay was one. Not something to say when 99.9% of your fans make less than you do. The other was two-edged regarding Team USA being parsimonious in expecting American NHL Olympians to pay their own way. Ideally Team USA pays. Realistically, they have to take funds from other areas that are dealing with athletes who have much lower regular incomes to do so. On the second statement, I would like to see some real investigative journalism to track his monetary contributions to the Olympic effort to see if he expected some of his own money back which would make the statement reasonable on his part..
-Hasn't roenick said some pretty controversial things in his day?
-Did that make him any less classy/respectable as a player/on the ice?
-Modano's quote was taken out of context, blown out of proportion, and a joke at the time. While it distanced him from average fans, if he had been serious and said he can't pay for his home and other living expenses on roughly 200k a year it would be understandable for a highly paid athlete and much less of a controversy. It's just the fact that he lightheartedly joked about his expensive dogs- and of course the media is going to have fun quoting him on that, that it turned into what it did.
-Hockey players are businessmen first, I honestly don't care what he does or doesn't do with his money, nor how bad he is with the media. If he got paid like a baseball star I might think differently but really all I care about is the class and professionalism they display for the youngsters in the lockerrroom and on the ice.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
-Modano's quote was taken out of context, blown out of proportion, and a joke at the time. While it distanced him from average fans, if he had been serious and said he can't pay for his home and other living expenses on roughly 200k a year it would be understandable for a highly paid athlete and much less of a controversy. It's just the fact that he lightheartedly joked about his expensive dogs- and of course the media is going to have fun quoting him on that, that it turned into what it did.
-Hockey players are businessmen first, I honestly don't care what he does or doesn't do with his money, nor how bad he is with the media. If he got paid like a baseball star I might think differently but really all I care about is the class and professionalism they display for the youngsters in the lockerrroom and on the ice.
On the Olympic thing, we are talking about 15-20k unless he wanted first class on the plane. It was not a significant sum and he was complaining strongly.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://http//www.freep.com/article/2...ure-next-month

Modano will not make a decision until he starts skating early August.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
JR was another example of the guy this board wasn't fond of by a wide margin when acquired. Fans forget comments when players play hard vis a vis both Nichol and JR ... and back in the day, players like Nolan and Ricci.

I don't think we need Modano per se. But I do think DW is going to sign a depth forward like Modano, as he did Manny last year when we get closer to camp, probably for something near league minimum.

There are vets out there who can play in our top 6 for periods of time in case of injury and will want a shot at the Cup again before they call it a day. Vets like Modano, Nolan, Slava Kozlov, Brendan Morrison, Kariya, etc., are helpful to the develompent of the younger guys like Mitchell, McGinn, Ferriero, McCarthy, McLaren, and Couture and if we can sneak them in for cheap like Manny, that would be a good thing IMO. This kind of a signing will be even more important if we end up moving Seto or Clowe for a defenseman. (Sure wish we would sign Erik Johnson ...)

07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://http//www.freep.com/article/2...ure-next-month

Modano will not make a decision until he starts skating early August.
......which is a little late to start getting in shape for a vet of his stature. Remembering when JR got the opportunity with the Sharks, he hired a trainer and dietician and came in the best shape he had been in years. Modano coasting into a camp can't be a good thing.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
......which is a little late to start getting in shape for a vet of his stature. Remembering when JR got the opportunity with the Sharks, he hired a trainer and dietician and came in the best shape he had been in years. Modano coasting into a camp can't be a good thing.
Just because he's not on the ice does not mean he hasn't been working out.

IIRC, it was mid- to late-August before JR got on the ice on his return.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
ya he really does not sound motivated at all. It sounds like he is going to use the next couple of weeks to think things through and decide whether or not he wants to retire which I can totally respect but clearly he doesn't have the same drive to stay in the league like blake or JR had.

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Just because he's not on the ice does not mean he hasn't been working out.

IIRC, it was mid- to late-August before JR got on the ice on his return.
Can't speak to what Madano is doing and its unlikely is eating doughnuts and sitting on his butt, like me. (2 doughnuts today ). But I can speak to his lack of decisiveness.

Athletes need a goal. If there is a question in his own mind about his return and he is putting off the decision as reported, he isn't going to be in the gym with the single focus that will drive top conditioning.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2QXc9Vwc8

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Pretty crazy, like how laid back he is with the camera man

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Roenick on the Daily Line (Versus) thinks that Modano should play this upcoming season.