HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Zherdev (one-year deal reported at $2 million)

Old
07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
If you want to judge his play in the Playoffs thats fine, but don't give me the goal scoring pace he was on because thats meaningless in such a small sample size.
Nah dude you're wrong. This one game against the Rangers this year he had a hat trick and was on pace for 246 goals. Just think about that. 246 goals. We can't trade that.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:43 AM
decadentia

Quote:
If you want to judge his play in the Playoffs thats fine, but don't give me the goal scoring pace he was on because thats meaningless in such a small sample size.
Send him to the glue factory, he's done.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:57 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
What is a good sample size?

Gagne has averaged X amount of goals, per year, since the lock out. What is X? That is what counts. Regressing towards the mean.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Zherdev is going to light the lamp, it's just a shame that we're going to lose a key piece of the puzzle.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Turambar

Ranger fan here. I was thrilled when the Rangers traded for Z, and of the majority in the Rangers fan community, I was one of those who gave him the benefit of the doubt for the longest time, while others in turn were turning against him.

Bottom line is that the guy has the talent, but he's selfish, plain and simple. He absolutely disappeared in the playoffs, and I mean like almost literally. Absolutely worthless in the playoffs.

That said, he'll score some highlight-reel regular season goals for you guys, and he's a very underrated passer as well. The issue I see is his attitude compared to the rest of the Flyers, at least as I perceive them. Polar opposite to the team mentality the Flyers thrive in, I think. He's a floater, he barely if ever backchecks, and he was 'satisfied' with his season with the Rangers. And while he led the team in points, that's not saying much at all considering we couldn't score goals that season.

I see Z either totally and completely thriving in Philly and becoming the steal of the decade for you guys, or I see him completely falling off and get basically run out of the locker room. There's no grey areas with this guy, it's one extreme or the other.

Good luck with him, and btw, if anyone is interested in any valuable Zherdev cards, I have quite a few I'd be willing to sell cheap that I bought thinking he was going to be a long-time Ranger.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Send him to the glue factory, he's done.
Hes not done, but I just don't understand the logic of hanging on to a player whose on the downside of his career when theres a trade market for him and we need to free up cap room. I understand a lot of people love Gagne, but theres no need to be irrational over the situation.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
What is a good sample size?

Gagne has averaged X amount of goals, per year, since the lock out. What is X? That is what counts. Regressing towards the mean.
40 games usually tells a pretty fair story. 19 however, doesn't

Old
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
Ranger fan here. I was thrilled when the Rangers traded for Z, and of the majority in the Rangers fan community, I was one of those who gave him the benefit of the doubt for the longest time, while others in turn were turning against him.

Bottom line is that the guy has the talent, but he's selfish, plain and simple. He absolutely disappeared in the playoffs, and I mean like almost literally. Absolutely worthless in the playoffs.

That said, he'll score some highlight-reel regular season goals for you guys, and he's a very underrated passer as well. The issue I see is his attitude compared to the rest of the Flyers, at least as I perceive them. Polar opposite to the team mentality the Flyers thrive in, I think. He's a floater, he barely if ever backchecks, and he was 'satisfied' with his season with the Rangers. And while he led the team in points, that's not saying much at all considering we couldn't score goals that season.

I see Z either totally and completely thriving in Philly and becoming the steal of the decade for you guys, or I see him completely falling off and get basically run out of the locker room. There's no grey areas with this guy, it's one extreme or the other.

Good luck with him, and btw, if anyone is interested in any valuable Zherdev cards, I have quite a few I'd be willing to sell cheap that I bought thinking he was going to be a long-time Ranger.
If he plays like an uninspired piece of garbage it won't hurt the Flyers because they have another 7 very solid forwards. Plus, Zherdev knows what he's getting into and the locker room and the coach that he'll be playing for. He could have chosen a lot of teams for that price but he chose this one. He knows what his reputation is and he's going to a team with very strong leadership and he wants to resurrect his career so I think he'll be fine. He's still a young guy and he's going into the perfect situation really, a strong team with strong forwards where he won't be relied on for scoring. He could be anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd line but I'm excited to see him play.

Banger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:35 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Is there going to be a press conference?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
There is some statistical evidence that baseball free agents that resign with their original club outperform free agents that change teams, The theory is that there is informational asymmetry, that is the players team choose not to keep have issues that only their current team knows.

Could that possibly be the case with Gagne? Could it be that the Flyers have information that makes them think he's too big a risk that we or other teams don't have.
Eh, he's clearly a risk going forward... and there's no way we should be interested in another big, long contract with him. However, I'm not sure creating a cap situation where you basically have to move him makes a whole lot of sense either... especially when he was out built in cap space for next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
And you're kidding yourself.
Without hesitation, Zherdev could possibly be one of the most talented players in the league. The problem is that he just doesn't have it on display 24/7 like Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin. He's also not as much of a physical specimen as much as those guys are.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Without hesitation, Zherdev could possibly be one of the most talented players in the league. The problem is that he just doesn't have it on display 24/7 like Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin. He's also not as much of a physical specimen as much as those guys are.
...then you're not one of the most talented players in the league. It isn't a skills competition, it's a game where substance matters more than how you look in warmups. He has a career high of 27 goals (a good total), that's not getting you into the "most talented players in the league" conversation.

Especially when you're an empty shirt in the other direction.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:14 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Something tells me Carter and Zherdev won't get along well on ice.

Don't know why, just a feeling.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Villedelphia*

does anyone get along with carter on the ice?

edit: or even off the ice?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
does anyone get along with carter on the ice?

edit: or even off the ice?
Yep, everyone hates him.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Villedelphia*

If he was a dick to me at the trial on the isle, I would've harrassed the **** out of him

Old
07-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
If he was a dick to me at the trial on the isle, I would've harrassed the **** out of him

Bet you wouldn't have, but whatever. Personally, I couldn't care less about what these guys are like off the ice as long as they aren't assaulting people.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Villedelphia*

I definitely would. He's gotta be too smart to like take a swing at me, even if he did what a great story it would be, might get some money too.

Jester, was it you that said something about liking to get Zherdev like a month ago. I didn't think it was at all a possibility but good call.

Last edited by Villedelphia*: 07-12-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old
07-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I definitely would. He's gotta be too smart to like take a swing at me, even if he did what a great story it would be, might get some money too.

Jester, was it you that said something about liking to get Zherdev like a month ago. I didn't think it was at all a possibility but good call.
You're pretty lame for this.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Bet you wouldn't have, but whatever. Personally, I couldn't care less about what these guys are like off the ice as long as they aren't assaulting people.
briere must be really fat or something

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Flyerfan808

Assuming we trade Gagne for picks or he gets waived:

JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Leino-Briere-Hartnell
Nodl-Carter-Giroux
Lappy-Betts-Carcillo/Powe (one or the other)
Shelley

Pronger-Mezaros
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnell-Carle

Turco
Leighton

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:21 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
briere must be really fat or something
or pale lol

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Foreverinour

pronger will smack him around if he doesnt listen.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Something tells me Carter and Zherdev won't get along well on ice.

Don't know why, just a feeling.
Because their games are too similar offensively? Zherdev likes to be the man, as does Carter, and there can usually only be one man.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Because their games are too similar offensively? Zherdev likes to be the man, as does Carter, and there can usually only be one man.
Good point. It might be my perception, but it seems as though Carter really shines when Richards is out of the lineup.

If Zherdev needs to be THE guy, he's waiting in line behind Richards, Carter, and potentially (hopefully) Giroux and JVR.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote