HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Zherdev (one-year deal reported at $2 million)

Old
07-14-2010, 01:13 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Give him $2 million also, and waive Cote and Boucher. Then trade Gagne to L.A. for Quick.
Quick supposedly is going no where. I believe it.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Kozlov sucks.
pass.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Kozlov sucks.
pass.
This is occurring right now:

Homer: What do you boys think of Kozlov?

Lavi: That's crazy!

Homer: Yes... it just might be crazy enough to work...

Lavi: That's not what I meant you ****ing *********.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:28 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Quick supposedly is going no where. I believe it.
It's too bad, because that lineup is about $427K under the limit, and it's freaking awesome.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Kozlov-Carter-Zherdev (call it the Whine Line, since that is what all the haters will do, anyway)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Laperriere
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis

Quick
Leighton

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:41 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
It's too bad, because that lineup is about $427K under the limit, and it's freaking awesome.

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Kozlov-Carter-Zherdev (call it the Whine Line, since that is what all the haters will do, anyway)
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis

Quick
Leighton
Pretty damn sexy team.

Old
07-14-2010, 03:40 AM
mercury

Quote:
Pretty damn sexy team.
I would be extremely happy with that lineup. Actually, slightly more than last year around this time.

Old
07-14-2010, 06:54 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
I would be extremely happy with that lineup. Actually, slightly more than last year around this time.
Slightly? I think we've improved greatly. IF that was the case then:

IN:
Zherdev
Kozlov
O'Donnell
Meszaros
Shelley
Quick

OUT:
Gagne
Parent
Powe
Boucher

Plus, the younger guys having more experience.

Old
07-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis

Quick
Leighton
Leaving yourself with zero cap space always works out well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
This is occurring right now:

Homer: What do you boys think of Kozlov?

Lavi: That's crazy!

Homer: Yes... it just might be crazy enough to work...

Lavi: That's not what I meant you ****ing *********.
Haha! Yes, that is the only way some of these things seem to make sense.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Leaving yourself with zero cap space always works out well.
427k is fine since that already includes a 13th forward and 7th D.

Rathje isnt around on the LTIR anymore, so we can actually save up unused cap space

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Kozlov is fine as a top 9 guy. Better then other top 9 guys we have had in the past.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Per flyers.nhl.com

Quote:
“I’m very happy to be back in the NHL,” said Zherdev, who had 58 points in 82 games for the Rangers in 2008-09, his last in the NHL. “I had some difficulty last season signing a contract in the NHL, and I made the decision to stay one season in Russia. Basically, my goal is to come to the NHL and be one of the best players and play every night, and show everybody I’m ready and that I’m an NHL player.”

“I’ve changed my style and tried to play more in the defensive zone. I think right now I’m a two-way player,” he said. “Before I was probably more of a forward, more in the attack zone, but right now I think the last couple [of] seasons I’ve played more in the defensive zone, too.”

“First of all, I don’t pay much attention to the people who write about me, about bad things or good things,” he said. “Sometimes the media has different opinions about different players. Right now, my goal is to come to Philadelphia and prepare for the long hockey season. I’d like to play hockey right now.

“For me, it will be new. It’s a new team, new teammates, a new coach, new organization and a new city. I still have my tools, and I’d like to show everybody I’m still a good hockey player.”
I'm happy to hear these things. Makes me think he's starting to mature.

Last edited by OriginJM: 07-14-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Additions
OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:39 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kozlov is fine as a top 9 guy. Better then other top 9 guys we have had in the past.
he cant play even strength hockey anymore

Old
07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Valhoun*

Why can't we sign a defensively-minded 3rd line center that is still good for 40ish points a season and can manage the game when paired with more offensively gifted wingers such as JVR and Giroux?

Oh, that's right. Because we signed The Superstar and our GM has too many chromosomes.

Old
07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Why can't we sign a defensively-minded 3rd line center that is still good for 40ish points a season and can manage the game when paired with more offensively gifted wingers such as JVR and Giroux?

Oh, that's right. Because we signed The Superstar and our GM has too many chromosomes.
The Superstar can play any position. he will be your desired 3rd line center, and he could even be one of the game's announcers while doing it. he's a superstar.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Superstar can play any position. he will be your desired 3rd line center, and he could even be one of the game's announcers while doing it. he's a superstar.
You're going to waste Shelley on the 3rd line?!?!

Old
07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Don't forget that he's our starting goalie going into next year. All that for that cap hit? What a steal. Good job Homer!

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Don't forget that he's our starting goalie going into next year. All that for that cap hit? What a steal. Good job Homer!
absolutely. i bet he will put up the best faceoff percentage ever seen from a goalie.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I would laugh if somehow Shelley was amazing next year and put up 20 goals and 20 assists. That would be hilarious and wonderful at the same time.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
he cant play even strength hockey anymore
We had guys that could barely break 20 points playing on our top 9. He will be able to put up 40-50+ points on a line with Richie and Zherdev

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:05 PM
ArmchairGM

Any interest in Raffi Torres?

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
mercury

Quote:

IN:
Zherdev
Kozlov
O'Donnell
Meszaros
Shelley
Quick

OUT:
Gagne
Parent
Powe
Boucher

Slightly happier than I was last year at the same time. I was fairly high on Emery's prospects, so I thought the D and goalie combo was the best the Flyers had in forever. I thought the offense would be good, but not like 2007-08 level of depth. And we did score fewer goals than the previous two seasons.

Old
07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
mercury

Quote:

IN:
Zherdev
Kozlov
O'Donnell
Meszaros
Shelley
Quick

OUT:
Gagne
Parent
Powe
Boucher

Cote and Krajicek would be out, too.

Old
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We had guys that could barely break 20 points playing on our top 9. He will be able to put up 40-50+ points on a line with Richie and Zherdev
Carcillo at least brings forecheck and tenacity.

Kozlov brings nothing. He is slow as a Hatcher and Rathje offspring, with no feet. He was at times a healthy scratch on a horrible Atlanta team.

Its not like he didnt have decent players to play with either, Spent most of his time with Afinogenov, Antropov, Bryan Little, Peverly and Todd white.

He is done.

Old
07-15-2010, 06:02 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I really don't understand where all the stories of Zherdev being a cancer or bad teammate are coming from. Even during his time in Columbus, his teammates never said anything bad about him, just that he was a bit of a loner because no one else in the organization at the time spoke Russian and he was the only Russian. Funny that when Hitch got to town, he had nothing but good things to say about Zherdev and even when Zherdev left, Hitch had nothing but good things to say about his time with Nik. As for Doug MacLean, this was the same guy who sold the world to Zherdev and when the team didn't improve under MacLean and Zherdev called MacLean on it, only then did Zherdev become difficult to deal with.

As for the situation in New York, he wasn't a dog there. He was one of the better players there. Unfortunately, Sather needed a scapegoat for the Rangers problems and Zherdev was the perfect goat because he went to arbitration. Funny that none of the "Sather" guys like Redden, Gomez, Drury or anyone of that ilk didn't face the music like Zherdev did. They were all making anywhere from to 3 to 3 and half times the money that Zherdev made, but they all got a walk. Nope, it's all 100% Zherdev's fault.

Honestly, the crap the people spew about Zherdev is nothing more than misinformed garbage.
Still rather have Gagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
So you guys don't think that giving Nabakov the money Leighton+Zherdev got would have done it? I gotta think he stays in the USA for something just under 5M.
Substitute Turco for Nabokov and I am fine with it....Wanted nothing to do with Nabokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Did Shooter get fired? He actually signed someone and didnt get ben toevr? color me impressed. This is a good deal no matter how you slice it. short term low salary. the reward is far > than the risk. Zherdev must have be desparate to come back. No problem with this deal at all. Finally a good solid move
Yes there is, not sure who he fits with on this roster (on the ice) and they are going to lose Gagne because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
When you guys let go of your feelings for the pre lock out Simon Gagne, you'll see he's the right choice to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
113 goals in 5 seasons prior to the lockout.
146 goals in 5 seasons since the lockout.

Really unclear to me what you're talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
If we need to get another Russian to make Zherdev happy (I'm referring to the article linked above), what about Afinogenov? Lotta people complained about him this time last year, but he put up 60 points in Atlanta. Not too shabby.
GOD PLEASE NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm curious, do you think Homer will budge at ALL on getting rid of a defenseman over getting rid of Gagne? He wants 5 top 4 d-men, and is that really necessary? Not really. Detroit won in 2008 with 3 top 4 d-men, mainly because the other guys were stay-at-home well enough that they didn't need that ****. Seriously are you afraid of a line like this if Carle is gone:

Pronger-Meszaros
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnell-Bartulis

Do you think this will be worse than before? We had Krajicek and Parent as our 3rd pairing, this 3rd pairing is by far and away better.
No, I am perfectly fine with it and frankly, that is how it SHOULD look. There is a salary cap, you cant bury so much money into one position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
Combine the maturity + missing the NHL + he knows his reputation + 1 year contract + how he does this year basically dictates his NHL future = motivated Zherdev >>> $2m

I see a 60 - 85 point season for him.
Still rather have Gagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He'll be motivated to earn a big contract for his new bride, and to play well against Malkin, Kovalchuk (NYR? NYI? NJD?) and Ovechkin. Let's hope he steps up big time - he has gamebreaker skill.
Not questioning his skill, questioning the chemistry with this team and still rather keep Gagne, even with the injuries.

When you think about it, Gagne is the perfect player to complement Zherdev on the other wing.....Gagne isnt someone that needs to touch the puck all the time. However, Richards, Giroux, Carter, Briere and Leino really need to have the puck on their stick to be most successful....Its like in B-ball when they say are there enough shots to go around??? You cant have 6-7 guys that are "puck hogs" Why do you think lines like Gagne/Richards/Knuble and Hartnell/Carter/Lupul worked so well two seasons ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
philly has plenty of guys who play a solid two-way game. the fact is, if you can get a guy who is going to put up around 55-60 points for 2 million, its a great deal. the leadership in that locker room, by most accounts, is very good with richards and pronger there.
Not concerned about the leadership....However, everyone on these boards *****es constantly about Briere (even with what he did in the playoffs) and we now have another one who doesnt have the proven track record of Briere. That is now two lines where you have to worry about what happens to us defensively.

And outside of Carter and Richards, the other guys at forward arent consistently very good defensively.....JVR and Giroux have potential to be and arent horrible by any means, but the rest are questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Gagne is NOT getting waived.

Gagne will be dealt in the next week.

Gagne is not worth his $5.25 contract, stats and injuries don't lie.

If Holmgren was such a bad GM, example in 3 full years as Flyers GM, he has 3 playoff appearances, 2 Eastern Conference Final appearances, 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance. And please don't call it dumb luck or that they were Bob Clarke players.

Holmgren was in charge of scouting and the drafts, once again, fact.

You simply don't have a clue what your talking about.
HUH????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
What if Gagne is waived? will you defend it? Nobody can say either way what Holmgren is going to do. Hes done some pretty stupid things since he become GM.
I know what I am talking about. You know what you are going to get with Gagne. You are going to get a solid player on both sides of the puck. What will you get with Zherdev?
What about how Holmgren has handled the Cap? do we need to go over everything? He isnt a good GM. Is Dave Tallon a good GM because he created the Cap mess in Chicago. Yeah Chicago win the Cup, but what is that team going to be like in the future?
Its not just about making the playoffs. its about much more. Yes they were lucky this year. We were a shootout loss away from missing the playoffs.
But of course that wouldnt of been Holmgren's fault.
take all the credit and none of the blame right?
Holmgren is a moron...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range and Black View Post
I think Homer has decided that not having garbage at 5 and 6 d-man more than offsets for losing a former Selke nominee (or close to that standard). I don't think the injuries, concussions and salary make him very attractive right now to keep or trade.

We all respect the heck out of Gagne and we all would wish him well on his new team. This is a cap league now and sometimes it gets ugly.
EXACTLY!!! Please tell Homer it is a cap league and that you cant pay 3rd pairing dmen $3.5 million or greater and have a part time player making $1.1 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
No wonder Heatley asked to be traded.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote