HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flyers sign Nikolai Zherdev (1 year, $2M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Luke View Post
The clock's out on Simon Gagne
Agreed, and it's not fair. I can't believe the Flyers would/could do that to Gagne. As I said a few days ago, Zherdev, to me, does not seem like "A Flyer Type of Player" to me at all. Well being a Pens fan, I would welcome Simon Gagne with open arms.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
FU Z...........Rejects 3.25 from the NYR now a 2 million deal, what a dick
Well look on the bright side. You could always sign him as a UFA next year because the Flyers won't be able to afford him if he has a good year.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Good deal for the Flyers, Z is worth 2 mil.

I'm not sure why the Rangers weren't interested in bringing him back at that low price.......Slats must have better options.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:41 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVF is for losers View Post
Honestly if the flyers paid more attention to their needs, such as a goaltender, they might have won the cup. Leighton was pretty awful in finals and im pretty sure can't put 60 games together. Sign Turco for 2-3 million, its a much better investment than a soft underachieving forward.
can't look back on last year like that. at the trade deadline, leighton was playing great and keeping us in the playoffs and emery appeared to be within a week or two of returning. there was no reason to get a goalie at the time. you can't foresee emery surprising us all w/ a degenerative bone disease or the freak string of injuries that would come to boosh, leighton, and even backlund.

as far as cups go, it's time to look to next year. unfortunately, was developed into a weakness after emery's career suddenly ended has yet to be addresses by holmgren.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:43 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

He's a goon and should be suspended immediately.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:44 PM
CrossCheck

Gagne + Carle
for
Schneider + Raymond + pick

?

Old
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
TOML

The problem with Zherdev won't be the performance-to-salary ratio.

It will be the time-to-performance ratio.

He requires primo icetime and situations in order to perform at a 2nd-line level.

However, i think Holmgren knows this and is planning an 'off' year for the Flyers and is using Zherdev to keep Giroux's breakout season out of the picture, so Giroux won't have to be re-signed at an unaffordable rate. Hence, only one year for Zherdev. Don't expect him to be back for another. At least not in Philly.

Meanwhile, Zherdev will want $5mil+ next summer, despite a predictably one-dimensional, lacklustre season and he'll go back to the KHL.

The Flyers aren't keeping Gagne beyond this season, and it's an 'off' season, so might as well get whatever you can in a trade. LA will be calling, since nobody on earth can meet Kovy's demands. Gagne will add to their abundance of injury-prone, declining vets with big contracts. But it won't hurt as much as Smyth's contract. LA has decent prospects to burn and Philly will get one of them, for sure.

What's confusing about Philly this summer is the Meszaros move. His salary-to-performace ratio is VERY poor. They are praying for a resurgence, but why not just keep Parent around instead? Do they seriously think Meszaros is an upgrade there?

The long-term problem for Philly, besides the cap of course, is that Pronger's best year as a Flyer is now behind him. So if they were planning to win with him, the opportunity is already over. He will now start sagging like he did in Anaheim after his first (great and cup-winning) season there.

Last edited by TOML: 07-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old
07-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

so any news on what the contract is?

Old
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

i dont get the flyers in one sense....

carter,richards and giroux, three amazing centres and how on earth are they going to keep them in the center. and NO this isn't like pens, where they have two GENERATIONAL talent and then staal(yes he is a great player)

Giroux can actually get to be first line center but he is guarded there for how many years to come?

Old
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Gagne + Carle
for
Schneider + Raymond

?
1.Question: Why would the Flyers add Carle?
2.Question: Why would the Nucks want Carle?

Gagne for Schneider + Raymond seems fair.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
future consideration

It's not a bad deal, just wouldn't that two million have been better spent signing Chris Mason and then keeping Gagne?

Old
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Flyersguru

Confirmed: 1 year deal for $2 million per CSNPhlly.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
so any news on what the contract is?
2 mil.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration View Post
It's not a bad deal, just wouldn't that two million have been better spent signing Chris Mason and then keeping Gagne?
They were over the cap if you include bonus without this signing.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
1.Question: Why would the Flyers add Carle?
2.Question: Why would the Nucks want Carle?

Gagne for Schneider + Raymond seems fair.
Flyers can't really afford that and I think it's too much from Vancouver for a UFA.

The deal with Carle probably doesn't make much sense either because I think the Flyers want to keep all of their d-men.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Its a good thing you are a avalanche fan living in NY.Cause the devs,rags and fishermen just got sick
Avs and Rangers fan, actually. Grew up loving both of them and could never manage to go with just one of them.

Having Zherdev against us will suck, especially at such a low cost... But you guys will not have fun with frustration. It's not just the inconsistencies from game to game, he'll suddenly drop off the face of the earth in the middle of a shift and let up chances for the other teams.

His flashiness and skillset will be nice, yes, but... god does he piss fans off.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
MegaShark 666

or not signing Shelley at 1.1 and Leighton at 1.55, not to mention Meszaros 4.0 and keep a 2nd rd pick? Sign Mason, resign Carcillo, and still sign Zherdev without all the Gagne drama.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Avs and Rangers fan, actually. Grew up loving both of them and could never manage to go with just one of them.

Having Zherdev against us will suck, especially at such a low cost... But you guys will not have fun with frustration. It's not just the inconsistencies from game to game, he'll suddenly drop off the face of the earth in the middle of a shift and let up chances for the other teams.

His flashiness and skillset will be nice, yes, but... god does he piss fans off.

We need a new whipping boy here.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
Flyers can't really afford that and I think it's too much from Vancouver for a UFA.

The deal with Carle probably doesn't make much sense either because I think the Flyers want to keep all of their d-men.
Also, I just noticed that technically the Canucks have 9 signed d-men.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Matt Foley
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I'll give Zherdev a month in that locker room and it ain't gonna be pretty.
I'd say that's about right. Laviolette better stock up on Excedrin before training camp.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
MegaShark 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
We need a new whipping boy here.
Well, looks like we found him.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post

His roll in Philadelphia will be vastly different than in NY. In NY, he was depended on as one of the key offensive players, an offensive catalyst, and one of the best forwards on the team. In Philadelpha, he's just a piece in the top 9 and the inconsistent spells shouldn't be too hard to cope with considering all of the offensive talent around him.

As far as his attitude is concerned, I don't think that will be too much of an issue either. He's a reclamation project of sorts and really has a lot to prove so he'll be very motivated. Additionally, the Flyers have a ton of veteran character players and a very demanding coach, I'm confident they'll get the best of Zherdev.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

vCash: 69
Under 3 mil is a good signing

Old
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaShark 666 View Post
or not signing Shelley at 1.1 and Leighton at 1.55, not to mention Meszaros 4.0 and keep a 2nd rd pick? Sign Mason, resign Carcillo, and still sign Zherdev without all the Gagne drama.
They could have, but they thought upgrading the D was the biggest priority of the off-season and obviously liked Meszaros and his potential enough to acquire him and not bother pursuing one of the UFA guys. Personally I wish they had signed Volchenkov, but Meszaros still has a lot of untapped potential so we'll see.

Mason is mediocre and the off-season isn't over, I would consider the acquisition of Turco (which I believe is possible/somewhat likely) to be as good (or better) as Mason would have been.

Flyers will re-sign Carcillo I believe, but agree on Shelley. He's a mediocre heavy and certainly seems 200-400K overpaid.

Old
07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
BrindamoursNose

I think it's more likely a D-Man would be traded. I feel like Gags has been here too long to just toss him aside.

Closed Thread