HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild, Sharks show interest in Modano

Old
07-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I have nothing but gut instinct to base this on, but I think it's either Detroit or retirement for Mike Modano.

I hope it's Detroit. I would definitely purchase a Modano Red Wings jersey, even if it were only a one year deal.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:44 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

a) love the stars fans avatars

b) i really hope he just retires.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALUPA View Post
hetook a shot at a sports team, and you responded with a shot at a city. Classy.
Seriously. It's like someone saying "Your tie is a bit gaudy" and you respond by saying their wife is a *****. It's really just childish.

And what a stunning observation... who knew that Detroit was a ****hole? I'm glad I have luminaries like NM Squirts and Jay Leno to point these things out to me. Though, personally, I'll take urban blight over having to use skywalks to get between buildings because going outside might result in frostbite any day. Someone from Minnesota talking **** about a city is like Tiger Woods calling LeBron James a ******. Give it 25 years, "state of hockey"... maybe this team will move too.

Last edited by Brodie: 07-10-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:17 AM
bullocks

The funny thing about the butt hurt Wild fans complaining is that Modano actually said he'll only goto a Championship calibre team the night he met with the Wings brass.

Let's be realistic here, the Wild are far from a contender.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Moatorious

A few days ago the Detroit Free Press reported Modano saying that hes either playing in detroit or retiring, but then again at the time Detroit was the only team to make an offer

Moatorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:31 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatorious View Post
A few days ago the Detroit Free Press reported Modano saying that hes either playing in detroit or retiring, but then again at the time Detroit was the only team to make an offer
yeah, it does seem like posturing...
with the Coyotes needing cheap centers, how well they did last season, being familiar with Coach Tip and the division, I would think that he would fit right in...
I wouldn't doubt that they already decided but GMDM needs to tweak the roster 1st get everyone signed and maybe a trade or 2 (more to do with the scrutiny of the NHL and their budget restrains), while MM makes the rounds before committing to a team for the next season.
Does he really want to be playing along side of 3rd line players or have a chance to play with 1st line players on a limited time basis on an improved roster that netted 107 points during the regular season???

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Seriously. It's like someone saying "Your tie is a bit gaudy" and you respond by saying their wife is a *****. It's really just childish.

And what a stunning observation... who knew that Detroit was a ****hole? I'm glad I have luminaries like NM Squirts and Jay Leno to point these things out to me. Though, personally, I'll take urban blight over having to use skywalks to get between buildings because going outside might result in frostbite any day. Someone from Minnesota talking **** about a city is like Tiger Woods calling LeBron James a ******. Give it 25 years, "state of hockey"... maybe this team will move too.
Especially right after the 4th of July. Brrrrrrrrr!!!

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Mike Modano would become a true Minnesota hockey poobah if he became the only guy to ever play for the North Stars and the Wild. It would be cool if he had 40-50 points left in the tank, kind of like having Jim Thome on the Twins.

Actually, Willie Mays did the same thing by moving out west when the Giants relocated to San Francisco, then finishing his career as a 41 year old with the Mets.

Last edited by Surly Furious: 07-10-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
IDGAF what team he goes to.

IMO, Detroit is the only team that would make for an interesting storyline considering it's his home state. The whole "it'd be cool/I'd only be okay with Minnesota" is stupid; it's not the same franchise, it's not based in the same city (metro area, yes, city NO), they don't play in the same arena, etc. so it's no different than him signing anywhere else in the league.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
While I know this is not exactly on topic, but please do not listen to this guy. He claims to be a writer for the Wild, but he knows nothing about the Wild.

Exhibit A

Except, if you go to CapGeek.com, the Wild have 23 players under contract, woth the remaining cap space at $3,528,974. There are a few guys not counted for, but enough for a difference of $12million.

So for a guy who claims to be a beat writer for the Wild, he can't even get his fact straight.
Those are the numbers for the 2011-12 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post
id advise Modano to stay away from wild Sharks
I thought this was hilarious, surprised no one else commented. Well played

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Claybert View Post
Can I get some insight on this?
The long and short of it: He ripped on our state, he ripped on the fans and he basically just burned the bridge back to Minnesota.

While I understand, he was basically a kid when this all happened, and he was trying to endear himself to his new team and new fans... Some of us don't have short memories.

It was a classless move then, and it's basically the only North Star memory I have of him, as I started following hockey right around the time the team left...

I just have no patience for a guy who was too good for us 15 years ago, and now thinks he might have a place with us when his career is over. The time has come, he needs to hang them up and be remembered as the best player the Stars ever saw, not the best player the Stars ever saw who didn't know when to hang 'em up and decided to play one more year to "finish his story".

/rant

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
I have nothing but gut instinct to base this on, but I think it's either Detroit or retirement for Mike Modano.

I hope it's Detroit. I would definitely purchase a Modano Red Wings jersey, even if it were only a one year deal.
Funny, I actually think the Sharks have the inside track if they want him.

He went on record after the Stars cut him loose to say he wants to stay in the Pacific Division. His wife's career is based in LA. Even though he is a Michigan boy, he has lived in sunny weather practically his entire career (not many people choose to move back to the cold weather...). And we know the Wings have courted Modano but we don't know if his agent called the Sharks or the Sharks reached out.

That said, I don't think the Sharks have the room now unless some trades are made, which is entirely possible depending on how Hammer's offer sheet shakes out.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
IDGAF what team he goes to.

IMO, Detroit is the only team that would make for an interesting storyline considering it's his home state. The whole "it'd be cool/I'd only be okay with Minnesota" is stupid; it's not the same franchise, it's not based in the same city (metro area, yes, city NO), they don't play in the same arena, etc. so it's no different than him signing anywhere else in the league.
Well for one, where the Met center used to be is now the Mall Of America.. Well technically an Ikea I guess but Excel Energy Center is literally 10 to 15 minutes away so that's kind of a moot point because we've always been the MINNESOTA North Stars or Wild.. It's not like they were the Bloomington North Stars & the St. Paul Wild so the location of the new arena really isn't important...

And yes, it's still a story-line because he was drafted by Minnesota, played for Minnesota, got moved with the team and would be coming back to Minnesota to play on the new team. Plus he'd be the ONLY player to ever be able to do that, at least for the 2 Minnesota Franchises. Plus, he's still a fan favorite & if you've never been to Minnesota, there's still North Stars stuff everywhere.. For the team being gone for 15 years, there's still a lot of support for them... So yes, an Original North Star returning to Minnesota to play on the new Minnesota team is a story-line...

Quote:
The long and short of it: He ripped on our state, he ripped on the fans and he basically just burned the bridge back to Minnesota.

While I understand, he was basically a kid when this all happened, and he was trying to endear himself to his new team and new fans... Some of us don't have short memories.

It was a classless move then, and it's basically the only North Star memory I have of him, as I started following hockey right around the time the team left...

Can someone please tell me what he said that's so bad!? I can't find any record of it, people keep mentioning it & I've asked several times for someone to post his alleged comments, so can someone please post what he sad that got everyone so bitter!?

I was only 8 years old when the N'stars left but I remember him saying that with the popularity of High School & college hockey in Minnesota that a pro team probably wouldn't work there... Is that what people are pissed about!? The team just got moved so at the time he was right, now 20 years later, the population is bigger & the new team is thriving... You've never made a dumb comment or been wrong about something!? It's not like he said "F Minnesota, I hate those people!" or anything geeezzz he made a comment 20 years ago when he was like 19... It's not a big deal...

He obviously still has some love for Minny, we treat him like a god, award him first star in his last game, have tributes to him, he wears his North Stars jersey & skates for our whole arena that stayed late just to see him and he cried over our love for him... I think it's a safe bet that he does like Minnesota regardless of any negative comment he may have made in 1993 that pissed you off...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Well for one, where the Met center used to be is now the Mall Of America.. Well technically an Ikea I guess but Excel Energy Center is literally 10 to 15 minutes away so that's kind of a moot point because we've always been the MINNESOTA North Stars or Wild.. It's not like they were the Bloomington North Stars & the St. Paul Wild so the location of the new arena really isn't important...

And yes, it's still a story-line because he was drafted by Minnesota, played for Minnesota, got moved with the team and would be coming back to Minnesota to play on the new team. Plus he'd be the ONLY player to ever be able to do that, at least for the 2 Minnesota Franchises. Plus, he's still a fan favorite & if you've never been to Minnesota, there's still North Stars stuff everywhere.. For the team being gone for 15 years, there's still a lot of support for them... So yes, an Original North Star returning to Minnesota to play on the new Minnesota team is a story-line...

Can someone please tell me what he said that's so bad!? I can't find any record of it, people keep mentioning it & I've asked several times for someone to post his alleged comments, so can someone please post what he sad that got everyone so bitter!?

I was only 8 years old when the N'stars left but I remember him saying that with the popularity of High School & college hockey in Minnesota that a pro team probably wouldn't work there... Is that what people are pissed about!? The team just got moved so at the time he was right, now 20 years later, the population is bigger & the new team is thriving... You've never made a dumb comment or been wrong about something!? It's not like he said "F Minnesota, I hate those people!" or anything geeezzz he made a comment 20 years ago when he was like 19... It's not a big deal...

He obviously still has some love for Minny, we treat him like a god, award him first star in his last game, have tributes to him, he wears his North Stars jersey & skates for our whole arena that stayed late just to see him and he cried over our love for him... I think it's a safe bet that he does like Minnesota regardless of any negative comment he may have made in 1993 that pissed you off...
I'll be honest, I don't remember exactly what he said and haven't been able to find the quotes either. I just remember how I felt when the North Stars left, and how Mike just made it worse. We had already been kicked in the pants, and then the soon to be best player added another shot to the ribs.

It was insult to injury, and in a situation as bad as the North Stars being moved... We didn't need anyone making it worse than it already was.

And again, I said it myself, I understand he was a kid when all this went on. But he was still the up-and-coming face of the franchise. What would people have done if Crosby ripped on Pittsburgh if they had to move back when they were going through all their troubles? The people of Pittsburgh would've burned him in effigy... All I'm asking is to quit living in the past and let old wounds remain old.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Bah, he probably said Texas had hotter women or something.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I'll be honest, I don't remember exactly what he said and haven't been able to find the quotes either. I just remember how I felt when the North Stars left, and how Mike just made it worse. We had already been kicked in the pants, and then the soon to be best player added another shot to the ribs.

It was insult to injury, and in a situation as bad as the North Stars being moved... We didn't need anyone making it worse than it already was.

And again, I said it myself, I understand he was a kid when all this went on. But he was still the up-and-coming face of the franchise. What would people have done if Crosby ripped on Pittsburgh if they had to move back when they were going through all their troubles? The people of Pittsburgh would've burned him in effigy... All I'm asking is to quit living in the past and let old wounds remain old.
No worries Vash, I didn't really mean to have that directed at you, I know it sounded like it using your quote & all, but It was more of a blanket statement to anyone that's made posts that Mo made mean comments towards Minny & it's fans..

Trust me, even tho I was young, I was probably hurt by the North Stars departure as much, if not more than anyone. We were (my family) season seat holders and my room was decked out in North Stars stuff (which I still have a lot of!) Hell, the North Stars management threw my parents wedding reception at the Met center! But regardless of any comments being made, I would gladly welcome Modano back! I think it would be really, really cool just to have that once in a lifetime oppurtunity to make a connection between our North Stars & Wild and to see one of America's greatest players start & finish his career in Minnesota in front of the same fans that waived goodbye to him 20 years ago... I'm all for it, and would gladly welcome Modano home. I think it would make for a really fun season & any time he scored a goal, excel would go nuts! You gotta admit that would be pretty cool...?

Quote:

HAHAHAHA I actually think I remember that being a quote from him, or something close to it!

Again, I forgive him of any comments he may have made, it's been years & years, and if Mo decided to come to Minny, especially since we're not a contender, I think it shows his love for Minnesota, and his appreciation for Minnesota's fan & their love of him & the game of hockey... I'd say coming here to finish his career is about the best "apology" you could ask for... Hell, I thought it was soooo cool to see him bust out his North Stars jersey at Excel!

Call me sentimental, but 17 years after the North Stars left, to see a North Star take the ice in Minnesota, in a North Stars jersey, was a moment I'll remember for a long time... I gladly welcome a season worth of experiences like that... Every time he gets a goal for Minnesota it will be like being a little kid all over again for me.

I can hear the excel announcer now...

"SCOR-ING FOR MINNE-SOTA.... NUMBER 9.... MIKE MODANO!!!!!"

Old
07-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
"SCOR-ING FOR MINNE-SOTA.... NUMBER 9.... MIKE MODANO!!!!!"
Wonder what Mikko would think of that....

As I recall,his comments had to do with attendance in Minnesota, and how if they had gotten better support, they never would have moved. There was truth to this as true North Star fans were few, but the bandwagon would fill up when success rolled along. They never ever got the support that the Wild get. Not really a bash, but taken as such by thin-skinned North Star fans.

Remember, this is "as I recall," so if someone remembers better, feel free to correct me.

Quote:
And yes, it's still a story-line because he was drafted by Minnesota, played for Minnesota, got moved with the team and would be coming back to Minnesota to play on the new team. Plus he'd be the ONLY player to ever be able to do that, at least for the 2 Minnesota Franchises.
Se7en, you nailed it.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:20 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Wonder what Mikko would think of that....

As I recall,his comments had to do with attendance in Minnesota, and how if they had gotten better support, they never would have moved. There was truth to this as true North Star fans were few, but the bandwagon would fill up when success rolled along. They never ever got the support that the Wild get. Not really a bash, but taken as such by thin-skinned North Star fans.

Remember, this is "as I recall," so if someone remembers better, feel free to correct me.

Se7en, you nailed it.

I actually wrote about the #9 conundrum on the HF Wild boards... I think the #9 might be reason enough for Modano not to sign in Minnesota. It's too valuable of number to both Mikko & Mikey...

As Duece Uno said, Maybe Mo could be #88 (his draft year) if he came to Minny...?

Or, Maybe Mikko would be a good sport & give up #9 for one season & go back to it when Modano left...? They could make velcro name plates with "Modano" on them and then fans could keep their Koivu jersey's but root for Modano for one season still! hahaha But I doubt Mikko would be down for that...

Realisticly, I don't think there's a snowballs chance he comes to Minny but it's fun to speculate about. And hell, stranger things have happened...

Old
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
I actually wrote about the #9 conundrum on the HF Wild boards... I think the #9 might be reason enough for Modano not to sign in Minnesota. It's too valuable of number to both Mikko & Mikey...

As Duece Uno said, Maybe Mo could be #88 (his draft year) if he came to Minny...?

Or, Maybe Mikko would be a good sport & give up #9 for one season & go back to it when Modano left...? They could make velcro name plates with "Modano" on them and then fans could keep their Koivu jersey's but root for Modano for one season still! hahaha But I doubt Mikko would be down for that...

Realisticly, I don't think there's a snowballs chance he comes to Minny but it's fun to speculate about. And hell, stranger things have happened...
Where is said snowball? If said snowball is in Minnesota during hockey season, it has a chance.

That is all.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
I took the comment as an unnecessary shot at the Wild. The only thing that rat hole town has going for it is the Wings. Guess I decided to "go there".
Are you saying the Wild have a legit shot at the Cup then? It's pretty obvious that they don't. ohh and I thought you were a gentleman or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Well at least Detroit is where players go to finish off their careers. I think they haven't met their quota yet for guys over 40 since Chelios left.
Players come here to win Cups. It has worked pretty well so far.

DanZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:38 PM
MK9

Not interested. Next!

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:11 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post

I just have no patience for a guy who was too good for us 15 years ago, and now thinks he might have a place with us when his career is over. The time has come, he needs to hang them up and be remembered as the best player the Stars ever saw, not the best player the Stars ever saw who didn't know when to hang 'em up and decided to play one more year to "finish his story".

/rant
QFT!
I hate this guy with a passion and want him no where near the Wild! Neal Broten is the true "poohbah" of hockey in Minnesota and he always will be!

That banner for Broten should be hanging in the X where it can be truly appreciated!

Last edited by TaLoN: 07-11-2010 at 01:18 AM.
TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:24 AM
OnTheFence

Minnesota fan(s) have nothing to worry about. He's West coast bound.

OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:29 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
He bashed the fans for being unwilling to support the team... Which if he had paid any attention, all of the angst was against the ownership. The Ownership of the team drove fans away. He said he was glad the team moved and the fans here didn't even deserve a team. And then 6 years later he reiterated those comments unsolicited during his on ice post cup winning interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Minnesota fan(s) have nothing to worry about. He's West coast bound.
Good, let him stay there.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
the_fan

Who really cares where Modano goes, the guy is 40 years old and he's way past his prime.

But the Wings love those 40 to 60 years old players, he'll probably best be fitted in Detroit

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote