HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Sharp Available?

Old
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
bscharf

vCash: 500
Patrick Sharp Available?

Sharp has been put on the trading block.

A legitimate top line center to compliment gaborik.

How can we make it happen? and should we?

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I imagine a deal would have to start with next years 1st round pick, or Dubinsky.

I'll pass. I don't like his game very much. Reminds me of Drury when he was younger, and he doesn't have a good game along the boards, or an inclination to pass which I like from pivots.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Sharp has been put on the trading block.

A legitimate top line center to compliment gaborik.

How can we make it happen? and should we?
Where can I see this trading block? Maybe some other guys we can use are on there.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I imagine a deal would have to start with next years 1st round pick, or Dubinsky.

I'll pass. I don't like his game very much. Reminds me of Drury when he was younger, and he doesn't have a good game along the boards, or an inclination to pass which I like from pivots.
I don't think they'd want Dubinsky because it would only save around $2 million. They would want some combination of prospects and/or picks.

As I said in the other thread, as the summer moves on the value the Hawks would get back decreases. They have $100K in cap space for the regular season with 5 to 6 players to sign to fill out their roster. They can add another $5.5 million with the summer cap. Neimi is going to get at least $2.75 to $3 million in arbitration more then likely. They may use Halak's contract as a basis ($3.75 cap hit). Halak is a year younger, but they bought out a year or two of Halaks UFA status years.

If the Hawks don't find a way to move salary before Neimi's arbitration hearing, then they could have some serious issues.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
TheHotRock

just because he's listed as a center in video games does not make him one in real life.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:04 AM
nyr2417

Sather won't give up more than a 2nd round pick for sharp, the hawks are in no position to try and negotiate for fair market value. Cap wise they are ****ed

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
Sather won't give up more than a 2nd round pick for sharp, the hawks are in no position to try and negotiate for fair market value. Cap wise they are ****ed
Sure they can negotiate. They don't need to deal him to the Rangers.

07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
FOXHOUND*

He isn't a number 1. Would love to have him, he is a fantastic team guy on top of being a real good player but I think we'd have to overpay in picks and prospects for a guy who isn't a legit #1 and would have the pressure put on him in NY to be one.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
NikC

doesn't mean that every GM won't be looking to put them over the barrel.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
He isn't a number 1. Would love to have him, he is a fantastic team guy on top of being a real good player but I think we'd have to overpay in picks and prospects for a guy who isn't a legit #1 and would have the pressure put on him in NY to be one.
This. If you are going to make a deal to bring in a #1 center please make sure hes a #1 center first.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:21 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Perfectly summarised really. I'd love to have the guy on this team, but he'd be asked to do far more than he's capable of for a fairly high price.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Sharp was the Hawks best player in the finals. He may not be a true #1 center but he's a bargain at $3.9MM and he's 28, not 32. Plus he can swing out to the wing if the roster evolves. The Hawks really need low salary players who can play in the NHL this year. Don't know if we have a lot to offer there but I'd gladly give up a #1 and other assets to get him. How much more pressure is there in NY than there was in the SC Finals? There will be teams lined up to get him and willing to pay handsomely if he is available.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sharp was the Hawks best player in the finals. He may not be a true #1 center but he's a bargain at $3.9MM and he's 28, not 32. Plus he can swing out to the wing if the roster evolves. The Hawks really need low salary players who can play in the NHL this year. Don't know if we have a lot to offer there but I'd gladly give up a #1 and other assets to get him. How much more pressure is there in NY than there was in the SC Finals? There will be teams lined up to get him and willing to pay handsomely if he is available.
A #1 pick might be fair market value for Sharp but the Rangers ARE NOT in the postion to offer it imo. Sharp won't make the Rangers THAT much better and we could easily be looking at a situation that Toronto was in this past draft, watching a lottery pick go to the Hawks.

I have no doubt Sharp would improve this team but I don't think the program is ready to start trading 1st round picks.

I just don't see the Rangers being good trading partners for a team like the Hawks. We can get involved with trades but I can't see us adding to much salary without sending some salary back to a team.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:43 AM
HockeyBurd*

He's a good player. Doesn't address any need that makes them a viable playoff team. But in a couple years if they were to improve, he'd be a super solid depth player, leader and a great teammate. He'd be a good replacement for Drury. As it stands, Drury isn't going anywhere and there isn't much room for him or his salary. Though I'd rather they got him than one of the "enigmatic Russians" or Demitra, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
A #1 pick might be fair market value for Sharp but the Rangers ARE NOT in the postion to offer it imo.
Yeah. On the other hand, given their track record with first rounders you got to wonder if Sharp isn't worth it. Of course that might not be the best approach going forward with what appears to be a couple years of top 10 drafting ahead.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He's not a #1 center. He was AWESOME in the playoffs last year. So many huge shifts. He'd be an upgrade, but not elite. Would really depend on the contract

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
dethomas07

gilroy and was 2nd in 11' for sharp

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Sharp is not on the trading block. Campbell is the only player being shopped. The offer to get Sharp would have to be a couple NHL ready prospects with no salary. I don't see Bowman getting what he wants for Sharp if a team approaches the Hawks.

By the way, he's not really a center. At least he's not on the Hawks. He filled in while Bolland was out.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=35&id=73756

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
pete3589

I like him as a player, but he is basically a more experienced Brandon Dubinsky in my eyes.

For all of the people pointing to how well he played in the playoffs, lets not forget he was centering versteeg and hossa, so that certainly helps.

He isn't a #1 center that would compliment Gaborik, so I don't want to give up assets for him.

pete3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
NYR Viper

People who are saying he isn't a #1 center are incorrect. There were 25 centers last year with 60+ points in the entire NHL. 25. That is less than one per team and does not even account for teams like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago or Tampa Bay who have 2.

Not every #1 center puts up 80+ points. Bring the expectations down or else you will most likely be upset.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
People who are saying he isn't a #1 center are incorrect. There were 25 centers last year with 60+ points in the entire NHL. 25. That is less than one per team and does not even account for teams like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago or Tampa Bay who have 2.

Not every #1 center puts up 80+ points. Bring the expectations down or else you will most likely be upset.
He scored many of those points as a winger... right?

Sharpie is a solid player , but he's not elite and he's not a #1 center. He will be Matt Cullen 2.0 in NY.
Acquired after an AWESOME performance in the playoffs and than asked to play a role that's over his head.

It doesnt work and when it starts to reak of fail and Torts is endlessly juggeling the lines trying to find chemistry he better hope the fanbase has already picked its whipping boy for the season

07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
People who are saying he isn't a #1 center are incorrect.
No, they're correct.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
He scored many of those points as a winger... right?

Sharpie is a solid player , but he's not elite and he's not a #1 center. He will be Matt Cullen 2.0 in NY.
Acquired after an AWESOME performance in the playoffs and than asked to play a role that's over his head.

It doesnt work and when it starts to reak of fail and Torts is endlessly juggeling the lines trying to find chemistry he better hope the fanbase has already picked its whipping boy for the season
I am not saying I want him....

What I am saying is that people throwing out the blanket statement of "60 point centers are not 1st line centers" is 100% incorrect. Sharp can play wing but he played most of the season at center behind Toews.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
No, they're correct.
Solid argument. Thank you for your insightful post.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Where can I see this trading block? Maybe some other guys we can use are on there.
its called the blackhawks who have only 15 players under contract and only 110,000 in cap space left.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote