Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal is not a pipe dream

Old
07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Sorry, not to pile on as another Rangers fan, but a couple of more detailed responses as to why this doesn't make sense:

1) You are aware of the summer cap rules, right? So while, yes, CapGeek shows us at about $4.4MM in space under the cap for next season, we actually have about $9MM in availability under the summer cap. (Trust me, we've got guys over on our board who've done the calcs on the partial time down to Evgeny Grachev's one day call up.) As a result, Slats matches without thinking and then has three months to figure out how a) what moves to make to make it all work during the season and b) how to slap you back.

2) Slats has already given off hints that he's considering demoting Redden regardless of what happens. Torts has actually come thiiiiis close to actively requesting it in the media. Offersheeting Staal only makes this more of a no-brainer.

3) Slats is a bitter, angry, spiteful old man who misses the old system and holds grudges... with the biggest bankroll in the league and an owner who lets him do whatever he wants to do. I mean, again, if they do demote Redden, they'll be eating $9MM in one-way salaries in the minors this year (Redden, Rissmiller, Brashear). Do you really, REALLY want to **** with this man?!?

4) Also, just practically speaking, do you really see Murray doing this after the teams just made a trade?

Having said all that, a week or so ago I proposed on our board a straight up swap of Staal for Ryan if they both continue to hold out. Homers who would have trouble trading Staal for Ovechkin aside, general consensus seemed to be a very grudging "if Staal pushes us to do it, I'd have to consider it - it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I gueeeeeeess it's fair."

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
FOXHOUND*

Please try to offersheet Marc Staal Anaheim, PLEASE
He'll match and then go right after your young talent..for years

Last edited by FOXHOUND*: 07-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.
FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Mooseduck

I was scrolling down quickly and thought this thread said "crack pipe dream": made total sense.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:53 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
I was scrolling down quickly and thought this thread said "crack pipe dream": made total sense.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Talentless Practise*

All day I dream about pipe yes all day I dream about pipe
And all day I dream about pipe yes all day I dream about pipe

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I am ridiculously glad that we don't play NY very often. I have never, in my entire 8 years here, seen a fan base get so defensive over nothing. Have you guys read the trade board thread about this trade? My god there are NY fans just responding to Duck fans threads about how useless is Voros is because OTHER team fans are telling them they lost that trade. It's laughable to be honest.

As for the topic: An offer sheet is not the way to go. Their GM is IMO the absolute worse GM in the league. Who the **** gives Boogy almost 2 million a year? I mean at least the Redden contract didnt look bad at the time, but its hillarious that a team with cap troubles goes and makes the worst signing in free agency. What I'm saying is that this guy is a moron, and I can see him doing anything to match or retaliate no matter how worse off it makes his team.

There are two ways to get Staal from them:

1. Trade Ryan for him. (The more I think about this, the more I hate this idea too.)

2. Wait. If they are as far apart as speculated, they may just get fed up, and then Murray should try to trade for his rights. It probably won't happen, but its probably the only way that we should attempt to get him.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I am ridiculously glad that we don't play NY very often. I have never, in my entire 8 years here, seen a fan base get so defensive over nothing. Have you guys read the trade board thread about this trade? My god there are NY fans just responding to Duck fans threads about how useless is Voros is because OTHER team fans are telling them they lost that trade. It's laughable to be honest.

As for the topic: An offer sheet is not the way to go. Their GM is IMO the absolute worse GM in the league. Who the **** gives Boogy almost 2 million a year? I mean at least the Redden contract didnt look bad at the time, but its hillarious that a team with cap troubles goes and makes the worst signing in free agency. What I'm saying is that this guy is a moron, and I can see him doing anything to match or retaliate no matter how worse off it makes his team.

There are two ways to get Staal from them:

1. Trade Ryan for him. (The more I think about this, the more I hate this idea too.)

2. Wait. If they are as far apart as speculated, they may just get fed up, and then Murray should try to trade for his rights. It probably won't happen, but its probably the only way that we should attempt to get him.

I don't see where any of the NYR fans that have posted in this thread have been disrespectful in anyway. Simply came and debated, gave information and were ever-so gentle (for New Yorkers)in their responses. Besides, we have plenty of other fan-bases that come to our boards each and every day. Its really not that unheard of. And I sincerely hope you enjoy having Voros in Anaheim.He's a great locker-room guy.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
I wouldn't be opposed to this.

Giving up a first round pick is no big deal considering our track record.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Talentless Practise*

What about Nicklas Grossman? Dallas is seriously cash strapped and Grossman is a RFA and a huge, steady shutdown guy. I'd say he's not much if at all worse than Hjalmarsson. Less than 3M per year would mean a 2nd rounder as compensation.

According to the Stars board, they have a 45M budget and depending on whether Avery's salary counts against that they have around 5 or 3 mil left with Neal, Grossman and a few plugs left to sign. They'd struggle to match anything north of 2.5.

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 07-10-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Turambar

Sorry Ducks' fans, you're not getting Staal, and yes, it is a pipe-dream; like someone else said, a crack-pipe dream.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Clueless View Post
What about Nicklas Grossman? Dallas is seriously cash strapped and Grossman is a RFA and a huge, steady shutdown guy. I'd say he's not much if at all worse than Hjalmarsson. Less than 3M per year would mean a 2nd rounder as compensation.

According to the Stars board, they have a 45M budget and depending on whether Avery's salary counts against that they have around 5 or 3 mil left with Neal, Grossman and a few plugs left to sign. They'd struggle to match anything north of 2.5.
I like Nicklas Grossman. Wouldn't mind one bit seeing him in Ranger blue myself. Could very well be a good offer sheet option for Anaheim as well.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
Sorry Ducks' fans, you're not getting Staal, and yes, it is a pipe-dream; like someone else said, a crack-pipe dream.
Most of us know that. Just excuse these crazy people.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
My god there are NY fans just responding to Duck fans threads about how useless is Voros is because OTHER team fans are telling them they lost that trade. It's laughable to be honest.
Wait, you honestly believe they're just saying he's useless because some other fans told them they lost the trade?

I'm sorry to inform you but in reality, Aaron Voros is not a talented hockey player by any means.... He has poor hands, poor vision, poor hockey IQ, and poor agility on his skates... He's also not good at being a tough guy either and frequently loses fights.... What is he? A terrific teammate who will be well liked by his teammates and probably be in the good graces of his coaches for his up beat attitude and work ethic even when he's not seeing action..... Voros is capable of putting up a few good games back to back but when he'll disappear for long stretches and remind you why he's a career floater who can't stay in any team's line-up for prolonged periods of time.....

Don't think we're happy about getting Eminger.... We're hoping he's Hartford bound...... This was a swap of crap no one wants in their line-up.....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-10-2010 at 12:56 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Man Ranger fans got real defensive. Jeez, it is just a speculative/fun thread.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Wait, you honestly believe they're just saying he's useless because some other fans told them they lost the trade?

I'm sorry to inform you but in reality, Aaron Voros is not a talented hockey player by any means.... He has poor hands, poor vision, poor hockey IQ, and poor agility on his skates... He's also not good at being a tough guy either and [exclusively] loses fights.... What is he? A terrific teammate who will be well liked by his teammates and probably be in the good graces of his coaches for his up beat attitude and work ethic even when he's not seeing action..... Voros is capable of putting up a few good games back to back but when he'll disappear for long stretches and remind you why he's a career floater who can't stay in any team's line-up for prolonged periods of time.....

Don't think we're happy about getting Eminger.... We're hoping he's Hartford bound...... This was a swap of crap no one wants in their line-up.....
Fixed. The rest is spot on.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote