HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign F Tanner Glass to 1-Year Deal, $625,000

Old
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Off View Post
Victor Oreskovich doesn't belong in the "only bringing toughness" group with Rypien, Hordi, and Glass. In his 50 career NHL games hes has 26 PIM's. Not really numbers that scream "goon" to anyone. This kid isn't a bad player at all. He's a good skater who finishes his hits often and finishes them hard. He'll drop the mitts when needed but I think anyone expecting him to fight like Rypien will be dissapointed. On the contrary, if you're expecting Rypien-type hockey skills you'll be more than pleasantly surprised.
If he can't PK, then he's just another middleweight goon. (I don't know if he can or not, just saying) You only get so many forward slots. What is the point of having more than two 13th/14th forward banger/scrapper types who can't play the PK? It's just a dumb allocation of resources.

And the bolded part is pretty much the definition of middleweight goon. He just fights a little less than Rypien, etc. Doesn't instantly mean he's a superior player. He played in the weaker conference in the worst division on the fourth line of a team with painfully awful forward depth. I'd wait until training camp at least before elevating him above Rypien, Glass, etc.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
If he can't PK, then he's just another middleweight goon. (I don't know if he can or not, just saying) You only get so many forward slots. What is the point of having more than two 13th/14th forward banger/scrapper types who can't play the PK? It's just a dumb allocation of resources.

And the bolded part is pretty much the definition of middleweight goon. He just fights a little less than Rypien, etc. Doesn't instantly mean he's a superior player. He played in the weaker conference in the worst division on the fourth line of a team with painfully awful forward depth. I'd wait until training camp at least before elevating him above Rypien, Glass, etc.
Ideally a team wants 6 forwards who can PK - doesn't matter where they come from on the depth chart. Just happens that half of our PK'ers come from our 2nd line. As of right now the Canucks have Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Malhotra, Hansen, and Henrik who can all PK very effectively as well as Daniel when asked. Different debate for a different time but I'm in the camp that believes the Sedins should be on the PK way more. They're just too good and too smart to not be given those minutes that are so vital to a team's success.

Your point about how pathetically weak the Southeast division is just your opinion. 2 of the last 6 Stanley Cup winners have come from the Southeast. It was popular belief in the past that that division was the weakest. But the tides have turned and IMO our division is the weakest division in the NHL and has been for a couple seasons now.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Ideally a team wants 6 forwards who can PK - doesn't matter where they come from on the depth chart. Just happens that half of our PK'ers come from our 2nd line. As of right now the Canucks have Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Malhotra, Hansen, and Henrik who can all PK very effectively as well as Daniel when asked. Different debate for a different time but I'm in the camp that believes the Sedins should be on the PK way more. They're just too good and too smart to not be given those minutes that are so vital to a team's success.

Your point about how pathetically weak the Southeast division is just your opinion. 2 of the last 6 Stanley Cup winners have come from the Southeast. It was popular belief in the past that that division was the weakest. But the tides have turned and IMO our division is the weakest division in the NHL and has been for a couple seasons now.
The only way it's even debateable about the NW vs. SE is because of the Oilers injuries last season. If not they would have been respectable at least. The southeast has 3 perenial doormats (Florida, Atlanta, Tampa{6 years since the Cup and have finished worst and second worst the 2 seasons prior}) and Carolina is Jeckyl and Hyde. The NW is definitely trending downward though.

I agree 100% about the Sedin's. But Vigneault would seemingly rather the PK be so bad it costs us games in the playoffs instead of wearing out the twins. I mean the PK got so much better against LA when they were out there but it was abandoned once again when they faced Chicago. So since Vigneault is still around, I think it's prudent to not waste 3-4 roster spots on virtually the same player. Dump the useless Hordichuk, keep the new toy in Oreskovich and let Rypien/Glass battle for one spot. That's what I would do.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Agreed, lets get someone small and speedy in that spot. Hopefully Jeff Tambi can anchor our fourth line. All the team toughness we need resides in one player.

Last edited by LostMyGlasses*: 07-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.
LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:20 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
The only way it's even debateable about the NW vs. SE is because of the Oilers injuries last season. If not they would have been respectable at least. The southeast has 3 perenial doormats (Florida, Atlanta, Tampa{6 years since the Cup and have finished worst and second worst the 2 seasons prior}) and Carolina is Jeckyl and Hyde. The NW is definitely trending downward though.

I agree 100% about the Sedin's. But Vigneault would seemingly rather the PK be so bad it costs us games in the playoffs instead of wearing out the twins. I mean the PK got so much better against LA when they were out there but it was abandoned once again when they faced Chicago. So since Vigneault is still around, I think it's prudent to not waste 3-4 roster spots on virtually the same player. Dump the useless Hordichuk, keep the new toy in Oreskovich and let Rypien/Glass battle for one spot. That's what I would do.
Agree with your post for the most part but respectfully disagree with the bolded part. Tanner Glass and Rick Rypien are battling for 2 completely different spots on the 4th line. Glass for a spot on LW and Rypien for a spot at either RW or C. IMO as of right now it's out of Hordichuk and Glass for the 4th line LW and 2 of Rypien, Oreskovich, Bolduc or Perrault to fill out RW and C.

All in all, as a Canucks fan, it's not a bad thing when we're in the summer and debating about who's going to get between 0-5 minutes of icetime per game for our team.

Old
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Agreed, lets get someone small and speedy in that spot. Hopefully Jeff Tambi can anchor our fourth line. All the team toughness we need resides in one player.

Or, you know, use someone who can provide toughness and bring something to another element of the game.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
alternate

Quote:
Agree with your post for the most part but respectfully disagree with the bolded part. Tanner Glass and Rick Rypien are battling for 2 completely different spots on the 4th line. Glass for a spot on LW and Rypien for a spot at either RW or C. IMO as of right now it's out of Hordichuk and Glass for the 4th line LW and 2 of Rypien, Oreskovich, Bolduc or Perrault to fill out RW and C.
is there any reason to think any of the guys you mentioned couldn't play either wing?

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
The Big Foot

Did not expect to see such good posts in here..
Totally agree with Waveburner about seeing what Osxvkch can do in camp, it would be great if he can grab a spot but there's a solid chance he's a guy who should be pushing pencils not grown ass men.

Also agree with the poster who was putting the Sedins in the PK corps...why not?? Those two deserve time in all situations. If they're better at killing penalties put them out there. It is stupid and uncreative to watch pucks go by Luongo cause we're saving the twins for offensive situations. If the Hawks had kept Bolland and Hossa away from the PK would they have won the cup? Definitely would not have scored any back breaking SH goals at GM Place with their non-offensive players.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I actually didn't mind Glass on the fourth line (don't want him anywhere near the third line), but he needs a better centre then Johnson or Rypien to be really effective I think. Pretty good on the forecheck, I don't mind him in that role, but hopefully we can find a competent centre to anchor that 4th line. Can rotate all the lunch-bucket wingers we have until we find a fit.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:10 AM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
is there any reason to think any of the guys you mentioned couldn't play either wing?
Because the players mentioned are grinders with a limited skill set who are asked to play 5 minutes a game, go up and down their wing, crash some bodies, cause some *****, and not get scored against - in theory.

Asking a right handed player like Rypien to play LW or a left handed player like Glass or Hordichuk to play RW in their own defensive zone is asking for more trouble than if they were on their natural side. There's a reason why most wingers play their natural side in the NHL. It takes a lot of skill and hockey sense to play your off wing in your own end. Defensive zone coverage is simple enough (in theory once again) but accepting a pass and breaking out is so much easier to do on your natural side.

The only option I (and AV it seems) doesn't mind playing their off side on the 4th line is Hansen, as Hansen does have considerable more skill than any of the pre-mentioned players. But as of now it looks like Hansen should have a 3rd line wing spot locked up, and it will take a trade for another 3rd line winger and a healthy and productive Cody Hodgson for Hansen to not be on that 3rd line.

Last edited by In Gillis We Trust: 07-12-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old
07-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Towelie*

I don't think Glass is an NHL player to be honest. I think too much is made of the amount of hits he throws. Most of them are inconsequential, and he really can't be described as a physical force. Hard to think of many times Tanner Glass threw a 'big' hit. Has zero upside offensively, and doesn't really do much defensively.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post
I don't think Glass is an NHL player to be honest. I think too much is made of the amount of hits he throws. Most of them are inconsequential, and he really can't be described as a physical force. Hard to think of many times Tanner Glass threw a 'big' hit. Has zero upside offensively, and doesn't really do much defensively.
I disagree.

I think Glass's hits often go unnoticed because they are forechecking and simply finishing his check in a manner that most of our roster doesn't. He doesn't throw big open ice hits, and he's obviously not going to catch Duncan Keith on the forecheck, but I think he did an excellent job of hurrying defensemen and doing so without taking silly minors, or putting himself badly out of position.

I also think he's a pretty smart hockey player, he never stood out to me making terrible plays with the puck or doing stupid thing. He does not have a lot of offensive ability, but for a fourth liner he does a good job forechecking, making simple plays and he saw some PK time and I think he could improve to be a decent PK guy.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:58 AM
sobrio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
I disagree.

I think Glass's hits often go unnoticed because they are forechecking and simply finishing his check in a manner that most of our roster doesn't. He doesn't throw big open ice hits, and he's obviously not going to catch Duncan Keith on the forecheck, but I think he did an excellent job of hurrying defensemen and doing so without taking silly minors, or putting himself badly out of position.

I also think he's a pretty smart hockey player, he never stood out to me making terrible plays with the puck or doing stupid thing. He does not have a lot of offensive ability, but for a fourth liner he does a good job forechecking, making simple plays and he saw some PK time and I think he could improve to be a decent PK guy.
I agree. I watched him at every home game and I'm happy with the signing.

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:08 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post
He actually scored quite a few goals in the pre-season (i was actually wondering who the !#@@!! he was last training camp). That said, he really hasn't been a scorer since NCAA. He hits a lot but he doesn't hit hard. He just hits in the attacking zone (namely finishes checks) so more often than not, the camera already moved on before he made the hit. He isn't a true physical force but he's a perfect prototype for a 4th line player. He fights, hits, and isn't a liability defensively. He also skates pretty well... if he isn't a NHL player, then you can list quite a few others that aren't too.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Or, you know, use someone who can provide toughness and bring something to another element of the game.
Are you willing to spend the $$$???

These players don't come cheap.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I actually think Glass has the potential to be a decent 3rd/4th liner. He is only 25/26 years old, just had a pretty solid first full season where he showed that he can be more than just a hitter/grinder on some nights. He was very effective early in the season and seemed to kind of wear out as it went on, but he can be effective. And at a very reasonable wage as 12th/13th guy on the depth chart, I think this is a good thing. He is certainly a better hockey player than Hordichuk or Rypien, IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:06 PM
m9

I almost wonder if I was watching the same Tanner Glass as some of you guys. There is no way he's a better player than Rypien. I've seen Rypien actually make some nice skillful hockey plays and I didn't see a single one from Glass next year.

What I did see from Glass was a guy who countless times went in for a hit, was too slow to actually hit the guy in time, so then just ended up lightly rubbing him out along the boards so he wouldn't get a penalty.

I'll even full on admit that I'd rather have Hordichuk than him as well. I don't see much difference between the two other thatn Hordichuk hits harder and is a little bit better of a fighter.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:20 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I almost wonder if I was watching the same Tanner Glass as some of you guys. There is no way he's a better player than Rypien. I've seen Rypien actually make some nice skillful hockey plays and I didn't see a single one from Glass next year.

What I did see from Glass was a guy who countless times went in for a hit, was too slow to actually hit the guy in time, so then just ended up lightly rubbing him out along the boards so he wouldn't get a penalty.

I'll even full on admit that I'd rather have Hordichuk than him as well. I don't see much difference between the two other thatn Hordichuk hits harder and is a little bit better of a fighter.
I totally agree with you about glass. In my opinion he's useless. The most frustrating part about watching his game is the amount of times the play dies on his stick-whether it's breaking out of the zone or in on the forecheck. He is in way over his head-at least that's how he plays. When he is breaking out of his zone on he wing- if the puck comes to him he often flubs it or cant make the pass to his centre or the far wing, and he certainly can't make a move to get by the defender.
Having said that though lmg is right about the fact that he's one of the very few on the team who will hit every shift-even if they aren't big hits. And av wants these guys in his lineup - with good reason. I also think this is why pettinger never sticks around- because he never shows enough willingness to hit or play a dirtier game. If he accepted that role he'd have a full time NHL job

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Eesh

WE HAVE TO Re-sign Mason Raymond !!!

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:

All in all, as a Canucks fan, it's not a bad thing when we're in the summer and debating about who's going to get between 0-5 minutes of icetime per game for our team.
If it's between those players only for our fourth line it's going to suck. Personally I hope Gillis gets another center and another third line winger before the start of season. Can use Bieksa and O'Brien as bait. You need at least 4 legit NHL centers going into the season. No more Tommy Santala's (Perreault).

I think Rypien and Glass are pretty interchangable (Rypien is not a centre in the NHL). Oreskovich sounds like a similar player. I would think the three of them are competing for two spots. Who wins out likely depends on the third line winger I'm assuming Gillis is still looking to add.

Hordichuk needs to go. Let other teams dress their goons. They play 5 minutes or less. I don't mind goons too much if they actually win fights, but Darcy's become a punching bag. I fail to see any value in that.

To me, ideally Gillis is shaping the roster so that Hodgson and Schroeder have to significantly outplay an established player to open the season in the NHL. After last season you'd be well beyond the bounds of foolish to pencil Hodgson in an NHL lineup. If he dominates in preseason and forces Gillis to reevaluate, that's a nice problem to have. If he shows he's still not quite ready for prime time and you were counting on him, well that's a ****** problem to have. Same for Schroeder. Neither player project as automatic superstars in the NHL as top three picks, so starting in the AHL shouldn't be an issue.

Don't take this personally, but every summer for last I don't know how many ****ing seasons I have seen that EXACT same quote. 'If we're worrying about fourth liners, that's a good thing...blah blah'. Only to watch the fourth line go out and be hemmed in their own zone shift after shift, game after game, season after season. This doesn't mean I want an offensive fourth line. I want to see an effective fourth line. Generates hits, momentum, draws penalties. Not barely scrape by the skin of their teeth against average teams, and get completely dominated by the deep teams. Getting another legit NHL center would help that quite a bit.

As for the poster whining melodramatically about losing toughness, grow up. There's a pretty obvious difference between spare forwards like Rypien/Glass who struggle when the pace picks up against top competition, and going after players who are tough AND legit NHL players otherwise. Glass couldn't keep up in the playoffs at all and Rypien struggled mightily.

And it's not like I said to drop all of them, just one of the three similar guys. Big ****ing deal. One less 14th forward middleweight to use. There goes the Cup.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:11 PM
pitseleh

I agree Waveburner. Successful teams tend to have quality players at the bottom of their roster.

Last season Chicago had 10 forwards over 20 points and 13 over 15. Philadelphia had 10 over 20 points and 12 over 15. Pittsburgh had 12 over 20 points the year before. Detroit had 9 over 35 points and 11 over 15 the same season. The players that would currently make up the Canucks fourth line would be lucky to break 10.

A guy like Glass is fine on the fourth line if he's playing with a couple of quality players. It'd be inexcusable to try and make a fourth line out of players like Glass, Rypien, Bliznak, Bolduc, Oreskovich, etc. when there are quality fourth liners that should be relatively inexpensive. Players like Begin, Halpern, Mair, Veilleux, Ortmeyer, etc. can play a fourth line style game while bringing other elements like a bit of offence and some PK ability.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Let me blow your mind and tell you why AV puts Glass on the third line:

When the going got rough last year, which inevitably it always will, we need some extra jam on the third line. While Glass wasn't the optimal choice for this, he was the coaching staffs only viable option. The general manager didn't give the coaching staff the tools necessary to create the kind of third line necessary to make some room on the ice.

Is this Glass' fault?No. Would any similar player be put in the same position? Yes.
Actually there was another option in Hansen at the time (i'm not talking about the start of the year but rather after Hansen recovered). Instead often time Glass was placed ahead of Hansen for no reason (that i could tell at all) beside the fact AV seems to really like Glass instead of watching Hansen produce a bit of offense here and there.

Its not Glass's fault at all, its just one of those things with AV who keeps putting player out of place just because he really seems to like their play. Remember Pyatt with the twins forever?

Quote:
If it's between those players only for our fourth line it's going to suck. Personally I hope Gillis gets another center and another third line winger before the start of season. Can use Bieksa and O'Brien as bait. You need at least 4 legit NHL centers going into the season. No more Tommy Santala's (Perreault).

I think Rypien and Glass are pretty interchangable (Rypien is not a centre in the NHL). Oreskovich sounds like a similar player. I would think the three of them are competing for two spots. Who wins out likely depends on the third line winger I'm assuming Gillis is still looking to add.

Hordichuk needs to go. Let other teams dress their goons. They play 5 minutes or less. I don't mind goons too much if they actually win fights, but Darcy's become a punching bag. I fail to see any value in that.

To me, ideally Gillis is shaping the roster so that Hodgson and Schroeder have to significantly outplay an established player to open the season in the NHL. After last season you'd be well beyond the bounds of foolish to pencil Hodgson in an NHL lineup. If he dominates in preseason and forces Gillis to reevaluate, that's a nice problem to have. If he shows he's still not quite ready for prime time and you were counting on him, well that's a ****** problem to have. Same for Schroeder. Neither player project as automatic superstars in the NHL as top three picks, so starting in the AHL shouldn't be an issue.

Don't take this personally, but every summer for last I don't know how many ****ing seasons I have seen that EXACT same quote. 'If we're worrying about fourth liners, that's a good thing...blah blah'. Only to watch the fourth line go out and be hemmed in their own zone shift after shift, game after game, season after season. This doesn't mean I want an offensive fourth line. I want to see an effective fourth line. Generates hits, momentum, draws penalties. Not barely scrape by the skin of their teeth against average teams, and get completely dominated by the deep teams. Getting another legit NHL center would help that quite a bit.

As for the poster whining melodramatically about losing toughness, grow up. There's a pretty obvious difference between spare forwards like Rypien/Glass who struggle when the pace picks up against top competition, and going after players who are tough AND legit NHL players otherwise. Glass couldn't keep up in the playoffs at all and Rypien struggled mightily.

And it's not like I said to drop all of them, just one of the three similar guys. Big ****ing deal. One less 14th forward middleweight to use. There goes the Cup.
This is the time you pencil in Hogs... if he doesn't make the team, it will effect him quite badly mentally and create quite a huge problem for us. Does it mean we should put him on the team if he doesn't deserve to be? Of course not but we should try to put him in the best possible position to make the team.

I agree that Hordi needs to go. He doesn't fight a whole lot and he doesn't win them most of the time either. If he isn't fighting, he really isn't a great hockey player. Ripper does a much better job and actually wins most (if not all) his fights plus is more complete. He isn't a really good center but he is a natural center. If he works on his FOs, he shouldn't be too bad as a 4th line center.

As for the 4th line being hammered in, i agree, thats something that isn't ideal and happened too often last year. The cause of that problem? As bad as it sounds, it seems to be Ryan Johnson who is a very brave player that leaves everything on the ice but he always seems to play in his own end even 5 on 5. When he was out, we actually weren't trapped as often or as long when the 4th line was on the ice. Is there actually any player we can bring in who would, in theory, guarantee us from being trapped in our own zone? Is there a guarantee that all the players we have who compete for the 4th line spot doesn't get us out of our own zone? It wouldn't be a bad idea for MG to get more players to compete for jobs... as competition just forces everyone to up their game if they want to make the team.

Yes some of the players we have aren't proven but no player starts out being a proven NHLer. It takes time for them to prove themselves and if they win the spot over competition during training camp, then they proved the deserve a chance. If all else fails, remember we have the trade deadline to try and re-do our 4th line. This year it doesn't look like defense will be an issue (that said last year it didn't seem like an issue either but this year looks even better), the top 6 is a lot more set than heading into last year and even the 3rd line looks better. That means the only thing we might need to worry about come deadline time = 4th line. If we are in very good shape and keep our cap hit nice by rolling 600k players on the 4th line, guess what, we can then afford 3rd liners to play on our 4th line in the playoffs and we seem to have the assets to do that this year (having i believe all our picks for 2011).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
We definitely need our bottom 6 forwards to contribute more to the PK side of things. It's time to shift more PK responsibility to those players, instead of having Burr and Kes do everything. And of course, adding Malhotra is a huge help since the only other centre we had on the PK was Ryan Johnson, and we all know how effective he was.

Last year we relied too much on Burr and Kes, and as awesome as they are, we don't want them to be worn out come playoff time. I think it'd be ok to still have some of your Top 6 guys play PK, but leave most of the minutes to your bottom 6 players. Our bottom 6 guys in the last 2 years have not really had a defined role and thus didn't really fit in anywhere apart from even strength, which is something that needs to change. Our "role players" on this team need to actually have a specific role, and not just being guys who eat up some minutes to give your skilled players a breather.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Actually there was another option in Hansen at the time (i'm not talking about the start of the year but rather after Hansen recovered). Instead often time Glass was placed ahead of Hansen for no reason (that i could tell at all) beside the fact AV seems to really like Glass instead of watching Hansen produce a bit of offense here and there.

Its not Glass's fault at all, its just one of those things with AV who keeps putting player out of place just because he really seems to like their play. Remember Pyatt with the twins forever?
I never really understood that either. Hansen would play well for a stretch and score some key goals, and then all of a sudden he'd be out of the lineup... For some reason he just can't seem to get out of the coach's doghouse. Once AV decides he likes someone he sticks with the guy no matter what, I guess. Even if it clearly wasn't working. It was the same issue with Demitra on the point during power plays too. And we would all wonder why on earth he was still putting him out there. AV seems like a pretty decent coach, but IMO needs to get better at recognizing when changes have to be made, and realizing them quick enough for those changes to be effective. Including in-game situations too, not just after we've lost the game already. Otherwise we won't win in the playoffs with him behind the bench.

Quote:
I agree that Hordi needs to go. He doesn't fight a whole lot and he doesn't win them most of the time either. If he isn't fighting, he really isn't a great hockey player. Ripper does a much better job and actually wins most (if not all) his fights plus is more complete. He isn't a really good center but he is a natural center. If he works on his FOs, he shouldn't be too bad as a 4th line center.
I like Rypien on the wing actually. Granted, his FO prowess isn't that good but his speed and his size would be a better fit on the wing. He can actually make some nice plays sometimes and I'd like to see more of that from him. He can roof 'em from in close too.

Quote:
As for the 4th line being hammered in, i agree, thats something that isn't ideal and happened too often last year. The cause of that problem? As bad as it sounds, it seems to be Ryan Johnson who is a very brave player that leaves everything on the ice but he always seems to play in his own end even 5 on 5. When he was out, we actually weren't trapped as often or as long when the 4th line was on the ice. Is there actually any player we can bring in who would, in theory, guarantee us from being trapped in our own zone? Is there a guarantee that all the players we have who compete for the 4th line spot doesn't get us out of our own zone? It wouldn't be a bad idea for MG to get more players to compete for jobs... as competition just forces everyone to up their game if they want to make the team.
Having a veteran centre who can PK and win FO's would be your best bet. Maybe someone like Eric Belanger. Jim Slater actually sounded like a good option too before he re-signed with Atlanta, unfortunately. But at the same time you have to have competition for that spot, and maybe someone younger like Bolduc or Bliznak could win it. I could Bolduc winning that spot actually as long he works hard, stays healthy throughout training camp and avoids any fights. Wrecking his shoulder again would not be such a good thing for his career.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:29 PM
m9

If Hodgson is able to make the team then I think Rypien can legitimately be the 4th line C. Reasoning being.. there is no scenario where Rypien would have to be bumped up onto the top three lines because we have 4 C's in our top nine and the guy playing wing can slide over.

Ideally he'd be on the wing still, but I think there is some flexibility.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote