HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More than likely a BS rumor but...

Old
07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Jame and Takeo are taking it back 'old school' on us

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:25 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
I really don't understand why you don't hang on to Connolly this year. Isn't he playing for a contract?
I see where you're getting at. But After watching Connolly playing his first full seasons in what, 3 years, I would rather cut ties with him as soon as possible.

I always liked Connolly at Wing more than Center. Now if you put him on a line where him and Pomminville on the wings then maybe keep him longer but he is a terrible center.

Now if you said you were getting someone before you go after Regher, then I say go ahead.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
OkimLom

Can we just let Takeo and Jame argue for every thread...It's awesome.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Jame
Dream '16

if we could pull off:
Connolly, Stafford
for
Regehr, Stajan

i'd do backflips...

if we had to include Roy instead or Connolly, id consider it... but I would expect something added on Calgary's side to make it worth our while...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Can we just let Takeo and Jame argue for every thread...It's awesome.
its not even an argument. You CAN'T say that Connolly is not a top 6 center. It's just totally absurd.

You can say Connolly Sucks...I hate him!!!

You can say Connolly has no heart

You can say Connolly is overpaid, injury prone....

You can even say... Connolly HURTS the team

But you CAN'T say that Connolly is NOT a top 6 center... That's like hating Goose and all his flaws and saying he is NOT an NHLer, he belongs in the minors.

Old
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Is this a playoff team?

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Vanek - Ennis - Stafford/Gerbe
Kennedy - Niedermayer - Grier
McCormick - Gaustad -Kaleta

Regehr - Myers
Leopold - Montador
Butler - Rivet (Sekera or Weber until Rivet is healthy)

Miller
Lalime

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Is this a playoff team?

Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Vanek - Ennis - Stafford/Gerbe
Kennedy - Niedermayer - Grier
McCormick - Gaustad -Kaleta

Regehr - Myers
Leopold - Montador
Butler - Rivet (Sekera or Weber until Rivet is healthy)

Miller
Lalime
That team would be worse than last year's and face an even earlier exit. We cannot afford to lose Roy's production. Period.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I feel that both Roy and Connolly's production is easier to replace than most think, but the current roster isn't capable of doing it yet. If only Adam's skating was better or Ennis was a natural center...

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:49 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'd do Connolly+ for Regehr for the simple fact that Regehr is inked for 3 more years and it would be a long term solution to who should play with Myers.

There are no such guarantees with Connolly.

The move creates a huge hole at center for 2010-11. But, that hole will likely be there next summer regardless.

And rather than lament another lost asset, why not pull the trigger and perhaps address the center need another way.

Although, this is another moot discussion as I can't see Regehr waiving his NTC to come to Buffalo and I can't see Regier doing the deal.

If Ian White gets a sizable arbitration award, how about Butler for White?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'd do Connolly+ for Regehr for the simple fact that Regehr is inked for 3 more years and it would be a long term solution to who should play with Myers.

There are no such guarantees with Connolly.

The move creates a huge hole at center for 2010-11. But, that hole will likely be there next summer regardless.

And rather than lament another lost asset, why not pull the trigger and perhaps address the center need another way.

Although, this is another moot discussion as I can't see Regehr waiving his NTC to come to Buffalo and I can't see Regier doing the deal.

If Ian White gets a sizable arbitration award, how about Butler for White?
I agree with the posters who say you have to be able to replace Connolly (or Roy for that matter) if you move them. I'm not saying don't do this deal but Darcy better have another deal in place or at least be confident he can bring in a #2 center with some offensive talent.

Getting White would be great and Calgary is in a tough cap position, so if Butler or Butler + 2nd or 3rd could get it done, I'd do it.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
MLH

We're probably going to have to replace Connolly's production anyway. What's his over/under on games played this season? 50? 55? He's obviously not reliable and even if he's in the lineup, he's maddeningly inconsistent.

Obviously, the Flames would never trade Regehr for Connolly straight up, but if that offer were on the table you take it laughing. It gets you the better player, gives you the player far better suited for the playoffs, and saves a half a million dollars. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Obviously, it leaves you thin down the middle, but real GM's would make the easy trade then address the middle. We could get a pretty decent center with some of the following assets: Stafford, Enroth, Butler, Sekera, 2011 1st. All would be expendable to Buffalo, but a few make a package with decent trade value. Getting Regehr and a good center pretty much guarantees the 1st would be towards the later end of the round. Sekera/Butler wouldn't be as important with Myers/Regehr/Leopold/Montador/Rivet/Weber all in the fold and Brennan looking good thus far. Not moving Enroth is another example of Regier's incompetence as he's not going to start as long as Miller's in Buffalo. His value decreases by the day and it's only a matter of time before Darcy repeats the mistake he made with Noronen. He turned the former #1 prospect in hockey into a second rounder because he's too terrified to make a mistake. Get a big center that's tough to play against with those assets and swap Connolly and a pick/prospect for Regehr. Then we're a legit Cup contender. Instead we'll do nothing and get 40 inconsistent games and a no-show in the playoffs out of Connolly.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
We're probably going to have to replace Connolly's production anyway. What's his over/under on games played this season? 50? 55? He's obviously not reliable and even if he's in the lineup, he's maddeningly inconsistent.

Obviously, the Flames would never trade Regehr for Connolly straight up, but if that offer were on the table you take it laughing. It gets you the better player, gives you the player far better suited for the playoffs, and saves a half a million dollars. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Obviously, it leaves you thin down the middle, but real GM's would make the easy trade then address the middle. We could get a pretty decent center with some of the following assets: Stafford, Enroth, Butler, Sekera, 2011 1st. All would be expendable to Buffalo, but a few make a package with decent trade value. Getting Regehr and a good center pretty much guarantees the 1st would be towards the later end of the round. Sekera/Butler wouldn't be as important with Myers/Regehr/Leopold/Montador/Rivet/Weber all in the fold and Brennan looking good thus far. Not moving Enroth is another example of Regier's incompetence as he's not going to start as long as Miller's in Buffalo. His value decreases by the day and it's only a matter of time before Darcy repeats the mistake he made with Noronen. He turned the former #1 prospect in hockey into a second rounder because he's too terrified to make a mistake. Get a big center that's tough to play against with those assets and swap Connolly and a pick/prospect for Regehr. Then we're a legit Cup contender. Instead we'll do nothing and get 40 inconsistent games and a no-show in the playoffs out of Connolly.
How about 73? And he was our most consistent point producer from the New Year to getting hurt.

But don't let facts get in the way of a crusade.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:15 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
How about 73? And he was our most consistent point producer from the New Year to getting hurt.

Why in the world would his over/under for this coming season be 73? Last season was the only season since the lockout he's played that number of games.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
MLH

Quote:

Do you even know what an over/under is?

Old
07-10-2010, 04:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Why in the world would his over/under for this coming season be 73? Last season was the only season since the lockout he's played that number of games.
Quote:
Do you even know what an over/under is?
The over-under makes no sense. The guy plays in over a 100 straight games before getting hurt, but the over/under is half that??

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
MLH

Quote:
The over-under makes no sense. The guy plays in over a 100 straight games before getting hurt, but the over/under is half that??
What would you put the over/under at then? If it's anything higher than 60, I think most of the money is on the under. The bottom line it's probably an even money bet that he's going to miss a quarter of a season or more and therefore his production is going to have to be replaced anyway.

Old
07-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
What would you put the over/under at then? If it's anything higher than 60, I think most of the money is on the under. The bottom line it's probably an even money bet that he's going to miss a quarter of a season or more and therefore his production is going to have to be replaced anyway.
i'll take the over on 60 games played with anyone.
first taker pm me with stakes.

Old
07-10-2010, 04:46 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Are you talking about Paul Gaustad? Patrick kaleta?

Old
07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Well, I'm not going to bet money or anything I'd care to lose as it would be too sick and twisted to be rooting for/happy when someone on the team I root for gets hurt, but I'd do an avatar/signature bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood
Are you talking about Paul Gaustad? Patrick kaleta?
What?

Old
07-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Clock

Eklund, guys.

Eklund.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Further, I'd take that bet for really any player who isn't starting the season with an injury, discounting tweeners/13th man types. That includes Gaborik.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:04 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:

What?
I was just wondering because Connolly has been pretty healthy.

There has been a point in time when Connolly was always healthy, he played 100 games or so in a row, and had a minor injury.

I even think one time it was the Sabres that misdiagnosed him which kept him out longer then he should have been.

The only thing I would worry about is a concussion, and is he has another one its probably his career.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 07-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I was just wondering because Connolly has been pretty healthy.

There has been a point in time when Connolly was always healthy, he played 100 games or so in a row, and had a minor injury.

I even think one time it was the Sabres that misdiagnosed him which kept him out longer then he should have been.

The only thing I would worry about is a concussion, and is he has another one its probably his career.
He was an ineffective player in the slower NHL pre-lockout. When hockey came back in the space of one season he got his knee tore up by Kasparitis on a hip-check when he had his head down, then in the playoffs against Ottawa he got lit up in the neutral zone with his head down. Played 2 games in 06-07, then came back in 07-08 and played...48 games. 08-09? 48 games. Even taking out the 06-07 season when he was recovering from PCS, he's played less than 60 games fully as often as he's played more, topping out at 73 (which is what makes it an absurd over/under target) and barely sqeaking over 60 in 05-06.

Hopefully he's learned to keep his head up, but he's not going to get any less fragile as he enters his 30's.

Old
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
He was an ineffective player in the slower NHL pre-lockout. When hockey came back in the space of one season he got his knee tore up by Kasparitis on a hip-check when he had his head down, then in the playoffs against Ottawa he got lit up in the neutral zone with his head down. Played 2 games in 06-07, then came back in 07-08 and played...48 games. 08-09? 48 games. Even taking out the 06-07 season when he was recovering from PCS, he's played less than 60 games fully as often as he's played more, topping out at 73 (which is what makes it an absurd over/under target) and barely sqeaking over 60 in 05-06.

Hopefully he's learned to keep his head up, but he's not going to get any less fragile as he enters his 30's.
Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll take the over 60 on any reasonable bet you want.

Old
07-10-2010, 06:53 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Put your money where your mouth is.

I'll take the over 60 on any reasonable bet you want.
I'm not going to bet on a top 6 center (that has no current replacement) missing 24 games - similar to how I will not bet against the Sabres in any game.

And I never said 60 was an unreasonable over/under, either.