HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF they dont match who would you pair him with?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
  #26
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
no on Grebs

Im now starting to think Vlasic-Boyle then Hjalmarsson-Murray is the way to go. Boyle would help Vlasic offensively, and that is key for his developement. Vlasic will give Boyle confidence to go up on the rush. Think how effective the Lidstrom-Rafalski pairing is when you think about this one. This pairing could easily take on most of the 1st lines in the NHL.

Then you have Hjalmarsson-Murray. Hammer was able to shut down opposing teams top lines with Campbell. He will be able to do the same with Murray and it will be even easier. If we face a big/tough line that could take advantage of the size on the 1st pairing, make this the shut down pair instead and let Vlasic worry about the 2nd line. Its also nice to have a swedish pair.

The reason I change this is that if Murray cant be with a great puckmover in Boyle he should be with our 2nd best in Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic-Boyle
Hjalmarsson-Murray

^^^ im really liking that.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:02 AM
  #27
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,169
vCash: 500
Boyle-Vlasic
Murray-Hammer
Demers-Wallin

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:28 AM
  #28
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
My only concern about Grebershkov is that he is a turnover machine.
Who would you rather get as a PMD not named Kaberle?

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:51 AM
  #29
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
no on Grebs

Im now starting to think Vlasic-Boyle then Hjalmarsson-Murray is the way to go. Boyle would help Vlasic offensively, and that is key for his developement. Vlasic will give Boyle confidence to go up on the rush. Think how effective the Lidstrom-Rafalski pairing is when you think about this one. This pairing could easily take on most of the 1st lines in the NHL.

Then you have Hjalmarsson-Murray. Hammer was able to shut down opposing teams top lines with Campbell. He will be able to do the same with Murray and it will be even easier. If we face a big/tough line that could take advantage of the size on the 1st pairing, make this the shut down pair instead and let Vlasic worry about the 2nd line. Its also nice to have a swedish pair.

The reason I change this is that if Murray cant be with a great puckmover in Boyle he should be with our 2nd best in Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic-Boyle
Hjalmarsson-Murray

^^^ im really liking that.
Demers is a better puck mover than Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic has never played with a player like Boyle, and when they have been put together, it didn't go well. HJalmarsson was paired with Campbell, and was extremely effective, so pairing him with Boyle will come natural. Since Boyle is better than Campbell, it'll also be a stronger line.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
  #30
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin
 
zombiekopitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,595
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Demers is a better puck mover than Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic has never played with a player like Boyle, and when they have been put together, it didn't go well. HJalmarsson was paired with Campbell, and was extremely effective, so pairing him with Boyle will come natural. Since Boyle is better than Campbell, it'll also be a stronger line.
Idk I think it was probably better then Murray-Boyle overall, I think it depends who they are playing against and if they need to score or shutdown.I think they also could use a cheap bottom pairing puck mover instead of Murray or Huskins,with Lebda and Colaciavo gone Skoula,Bergeron or Meyer might make sense.I was looking at who needs more NHL d and Florida jumped out at me, I also think Sharks need a 3rd line RW, so I did
Murray and Huskins for Bernier and a 4th
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.200m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / * Devin Setoguchi ($3.100m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.997m) / Logan Couture ($1.242m) / * Bernier ($2.000m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.367m) / Scott Nichol ($0.760m) / Frazer McLaren ($0.543m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Hammer ($3.500m) / Dan Boyle ($6.667m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Jason Demers ($0.543m)
* Bergeron ($0.850m) / Niclas Wallin ($2.500m)
Jay Leach ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 21; CAP:$59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.328m;
PAYROLL: $59.771m; CAP ROOM: $0.344m; BONUSES: $0.715m
Pretty complete lineup IMO

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
  #31
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Demers is a better puck mover than Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic has never played with a player like Boyle, and when they have been put together, it didn't go well. HJalmarsson was paired with Campbell, and was extremely effective, so pairing him with Boyle will come natural. Since Boyle is better than Campbell, it'll also be a stronger line.
demers blows defensively though. He gets PP unit time but 3rd pair.

There's nothing wrong with having a shutdown pair of hammer+crankshaft. (but i think it'll be a pk unit)

I still prefer hammer paired with boyle though, vlasic and boyle hasn't worked. I still blame vlasic's lack of physicality-mostly to get leverage on the puck along the boards(think blake pushing fools around for the puck). He hasn't got lidstrom's skating or stick to make up for not banging the bodies around.

hammer-boyle
vlasic-wallin
demers-murray

Wallin wasn't great last season, but I'm done criticizing, if DW thinks we haven't seen him at his best and that he's going to get top 4 minutes(i believe he hinted at that in an article) perhaps he'd make a good fit with vlasic.

demers-murray gives demers the time to take risks when he does have the puck, as murray can stay back and protect. Much better than huskins or wallin on the 3rd pair as either of those guys could get beat by someone with decent speed. This is a 3rd pair that could be given a decent amount of minutes to relieve the other pairs.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
  #32
CupfortheSharks
Registered User
 
CupfortheSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
My vote:

Murray - Boyle
Vlasic - HJammer
Wallin - Demers
Huskins

Does anyone know if HJammer played on the left or right side last year?

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
  #33
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
My vote:

Murray - Boyle
Vlasic - HJammer
Wallin - Demers
Huskins

Does anyone know if HJammer played on the left or right side last year?
When I saw him, he was exclusively left. Pickles can play both sides.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:51 PM
  #34
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
When I saw him, he was exclusively left. Pickles can play both sides.
Sounds like a better fit for Boyle.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
  #35
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Demers is a better puck mover than Hjalmarsson.

Vlasic has never played with a player like Boyle, and when they have been put together, it didn't go well. HJalmarsson was paired with Campbell, and was extremely effective, so pairing him with Boyle will come natural. Since Boyle is better than Campbell, it'll also be a stronger line.
I was reffering to the top four and it would be a liability to put Demers in that role right now. He hasnt even been able to be a full time 3rd pairing candidate on this team. Give him a solid year on the 3rd pair, then next year if he is ready, put him into the top 4 with Vlasic. Even then his D would have to improve greatly.

Btw im not sure when Vlasic-Boyle played together. If it did happen at all it was very brief and the sample size was much too small.

btw if Boyle played bad with Vlasic why would a Demers pairing work?

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:10 PM
  #36
CupfortheSharks
Registered User
 
CupfortheSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
When I saw him, he was exclusively left. Pickles can play both sides.
Ok. Three big Swedes on the left it is:

Murray - Boyle
HJammer - Vlasic
Wallin - Demers
Huskins

I think the HJammer would play with Vlasic. He's a better puck mover than Murray and Vlasic certainly needs more help in that area than Boyle.

PP #1: Pavelski - Boyle
PP #2: HJammer - Demers

PK #1: HJammer - Vlasic
PK #2: Murray - Boyle

Basically, take Blake's spot in all situations.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
  #37
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Ok. Three big Swedes on the left it is:

Murray - Boyle
HJammer - Vlasic
Wallin - Demers
Huskins

I think the HJammer would play with Vlasic. He's a better puck mover than Murray and Vlasic certainly needs more help in that area than Boyle.

PP #1: Pavelski - Boyle
PP #2: HJammer - Demers

PK #1: HJammer - Vlasic
PK #2: Murray - Boyle

Basically, take Blake's spot in all situations.
Vlasic scored 36 points in 08-09. I think he would be better in Hammer's spot.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
  #38
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Vlasic scored 36 points in 08-09. I think he would be better in Hammer's spot.
Have you seen Pickles' slap shot and inability to hold a puck in at the point?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:52 PM
  #39
CupfortheSharks
Registered User
 
CupfortheSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Vlasic scored 36 points in 08-09. I think he would be better in Hammer's spot.
Maybe. I had hopes for Vlasic developing as a PMD but he seems to have gone backwards.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:06 PM
  #40
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Maybe. I had hopes for Vlasic developing as a PMD but he seems to have gone backwards.
He had to revert to his positional play due to letting blake go crazy in the offensive zone, blake was screening goalies at a few points in the season . It also helps when you give him the powerplay opportunities-where he'll feel more comfortable making riskier moves.

I prefer pavs playing forward though, 2nd pp unit is kinda dead without him, and boyle will have a competant partner in hammer anyway.
so I'm more of a fan of:
hammer-boyle
demers-vlasic

The main thing I like is it's safer so hopefully fewer shorties against teams like chicago, but not completely useless. If one partner can't do anything offensively(i.e murray) it's too predictable, but I think we can hopefully expect a surprise slapshot from hammer from time to time. As for vlasic, well he's going to have to work on his shot but if you give him the opportunities it gives him a reason to try to improve. He's still not as useless as murray, he did get 3 out of 6 of his goals on the powerplay in 08.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:21 PM
  #41
CupfortheSharks
Registered User
 
CupfortheSharks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
Hold on. I just looked it up, Hjalmarsson got almost 0 PP time for Chicago last year. Why did I think he was a regular PP guy for them??

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
  #42
TheProfessor1
Registered User
 
TheProfessor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Question, how would people feel about moving heaters to the point on the first PP unit? Yes I know that he is a bigger defensive liability than huskins and yes I also know that he is the only sharks player last year (besides Blake every now and then) who planted himself in front of the net and was successful at this. However, we really don't have any big blue line slappers and putting heaters at the point would give him the time to do his unique wind-up that takes too long in most other situations, rendering his slap shot useless. flame away.

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
  #43
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
He had to revert to his positional play due to letting blake go crazy in the offensive zone, blake was screening goalies at a few points in the season . It also helps when you give him the powerplay opportunities-where he'll feel more comfortable making riskier moves.

I prefer pavs playing forward though, 2nd pp unit is kinda dead without him, and boyle will have a competant partner in hammer anyway.
so I'm more of a fan of:
hammer-boyle
demers-vlasic

The main thing I like is it's safer so hopefully fewer shorties against teams like chicago, but not completely useless. If one partner can't do anything offensively(i.e murray) it's too predictable, but I think we can hopefully expect a surprise slapshot from hammer from time to time. As for vlasic, well he's going to have to work on his shot but if you give him the opportunities it gives him a reason to try to improve. He's still not as useless as murray, he did get 3 out of 6 of his goals on the powerplay in 08.
Vlasic PP issues are twofold. He is poor at holding the puck at the blueline. He is also inaccurate on the pinch. Shots on a pinch have to be on goal; it is much more critical than accuracy from the point. When he got PP time in 08-09, it was like throwing ice water on the PP statistically. That was the issue of holding the puck in. Same thing happened and happens with Rivet. Rivet worked himself off of the PP on three teams for that reason despite having a heavy right handed shot.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
  #44
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post
Question, how would people feel about moving heaters to the point on the first PP unit? Yes I know that he is a bigger defensive liability than huskins and yes I also know that he is the only sharks player last year (besides Blake every now and then) who planted himself in front of the net and was successful at this. However, we really don't have any big blue line slappers and putting heaters at the point would give him the time to do his unique wind-up that takes too long in most other situations, rendering his slap shot useless. flame away.
Might work...
pp1:marleau-thornton-seto
heater-boyle
pp2:clowe-pavs-couture
demers-vlasic

things I don't like about it:
-the defensive liability, heater can't backcheck if boyle loses it and boyle certainly isn't going to spend all his energy cleaning up heater's mistakes.
-you have to take a bit of forward depth from the 2nd PP by bringing up seto, and we don't give hammer a chance to get pp time unless you take away vlasic's pp opportunities.

I do like couture getting chances, and having two good slapshots on the top pp. It's a very high risk/reward pp. I'd rather put two solid PP's out, but it's an option for those times we need a goal or we lose.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
  #45
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Vlasic PP issues are twofold. He is poor at holding the puck at the blueline. He is also inaccurate on the pinch. Shots on a pinch have to be on goal; it is much more critical than accuracy from the point. When he got PP time in 08-09, it was like throwing ice water on the PP statistically. That was the issue of holding the puck in. Same thing happened and happens with Rivet. Rivet worked himself off of the PP on three teams for that reason despite having a heavy right handed shot.
maybe DW expects wallin to be decent on the PP then? Demers-wallin?

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
  #46
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
maybe DW expects wallin to be decent on the PP then? Demers-wallin?
Pavs/Demers/Boyle/Marleau. All have played the point on PP. Maybe Hjalmarsson would get a shot if the Hawks don't match. Huskins with an outside shot.

Not a chance on Wallin or Murray. Joslin if they call him up.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
  #47
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
again I still prefer pavs and marleau for forward pp depth, both guys who can also take faceoffs if someone gets kicked out of the circle. Demers-boyle for the 5 on 3's, I've been hoping for hjalmar for the top point otherwise. That leaves huskins/wallin/vlasic to be paired with demers on the 2nd pp-again because I'd rather pavs be on the forward front.

It may just come down to not feeling so great with forwards on the point, not that demers is any better defensively really.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
  #48
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,635
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Hold on. I just looked it up, Hjalmarsson got almost 0 PP time for Chicago last year. Why did I think he was a regular PP guy for them??
He'll be 100% better than Pavs on the point... but that's not saying much.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
  #49
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Hold on. I just looked it up, Hjalmarsson got almost 0 PP time for Chicago last year. Why did I think he was a regular PP guy for them??
He's got a good shot based on what I hear. It's hard getting PP time when you have guys like Campbell, Keith and Seabrook eating up time on the point.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
  #50
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Vlasic is much better than Hammer offensively. The hate he gets offensively is extremely overblown.

When a 22 year old defenseman gets 36 points that says alot. As does 73 points in junior. Hjalmarsson has nothing on him offensively.

Vlasic's shot is also extremely underrated. I think Hammer may have a slightly better one but not by much. Demers certainly doesnt but he is certainly a great threat on the powerplay. We have Heater and Marleau aswell as Boyle to do the shooting.

Vlasic should be on the 1st pp. Then have Hammer along with Demers on the 2nd

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.