HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Just Pleau Wrong

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 03:55 AM
KING

vCash: 500
It's Just Pleau Wrong

http://nypost.com/sports/21483.htm

Old
05-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Prucha73

Who was it that was throwing furniture in Nagano? Was it ever revealed?

Old
05-23-2004, 08:15 AM
DarthSather99

If I was to guess I'd say it was Keith Tzachuk who was the furniture mover.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:08 PM
John Flyers Fan

I agree with Holik not being selected for the team.

Gomez should be on the team IMO. There were a number of questionable picks.

Old
05-23-2004, 05:39 PM
nyr7andcounting

Holik has no business playing for the US in any kind of major international competition. Players who were born here and have been playing American hockey since the WJC's when they were 17 and 18 are the guys who deserve to represent the US at these tournaments.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:27 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Holik has no business playing for the US in any kind of major international competition. Players who were born here and have been playing American hockey since the WJC's when they were 17 and 18 are the guys who deserve to represent the US at these tournaments.

Damn right, get Brett Hull off the roster.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:23 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Gomez should be on the team IMO.
I agree.

I don't really know how I feel about guys being on the team that weren't born in the States. I mean, if Hull is on it why can't Holik be? It's just stupid. So, if some guys are allowed and some aren't then you might as well make it only U.S. born players.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:28 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I agree.

I don't really know how I feel about guys being on the team that weren't born in the States. I mean, if Hull is on it why can't Holik be? It's just stupid. So, if some guys are allowed and some aren't then you might as well make it only U.S. born players.
I believe that Hull was born in Chicago while his father played for the Blackhawks.

Also he's always played for the US, never anyone else in international competition. Holik did play for Czechoslovakia when he was younger.

While I don't completely agree with it, Hull is a helluva lot more American than Holik is.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
IMO, if you choose to make America your permanent home and you call yourself an American, you're an American. We're a nation of immigrants, and I prefer not to make distinctions of who is more American than whom. I think they shouldn't have dismissed him out of hand just because of his birthplace and original citizenship.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I agree with Holik not being selected for the team.

Gomez should be on the team IMO. There were a number of questionable picks.

Hull was born in Belleville, Ontario. He does have an American mother, and has always represented the U.S. in international competition so his a differant situation than Holik's. However, I agree with the poster who said that since he is an American citizen, and clearly loves this country he should have been considered, and he was. Pleau et al, as the article mentioned felt that anyone named to the team should be eligible to play for the U.S. in all international competions, which apparently he isn't, so that's why wasn't named. As for the questionable picks, I see a few:

Hatcher
Hull
Amonte
Smolinksi
Blake
Langenbrunner
Halpern
Klee

I think anyone could make a case for Mike York, Carney, Gomez, Mara, Parrish, or Holik being named to the team. Would those players presence make the differance? I doubt it. The players that were named can still be valuable contributors and will work hard, bottom line.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING

Some fair points are brought up in the article, but Pleau et al said from the beginning that players who suited up for the U.S. at the World Championships would get heavy consideration for the World Cup team. Gomez pulled out, and as a result, he wasn't named. The U.S. brass stuck to their guns. It's not as if the U.S. doesn't have strength up the middle, or has a lack of playmakers. Doug Weight in particular is amongst the best in the league as doing just that. As for Holik, that was tough call, but the U.S. is being consistant in that regard as well.

Old
05-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Some fair points are brought up in the article, but Pleau et al said from the beginning that players who suited up for the U.S. at the World Championships would get heavy consideration for the World Cup team. Gomez pulled out, and as a result, he wasn't named. The U.S. brass stuck to their guns. It's not as if the U.S. doesn't have strength up the middle, or has a lack of playmakers. Doug Weight in particular is amongst the best in the league as doing just that. As for Holik, that was tough call, but the U.S. is being consistant in that regard as well.
Gomez pulled out ... but how about all of those other players who never even signed up for the WC. He's punished because he intially said he would while others who never even considered it are allowed? I agree he was wrong, but that shouldn't exclude him.

Holik is an AMERICAN... this is an AMERICAN team. I don't care whether he was born here. My grandfather was born in Italy.. does that mean he's not American? Should he not be allowed American benefits? So why does Holik get screwed?

Old
05-24-2004, 12:59 AM
xander

i understand that if you've previously played for another country that your not allowed to play for another in IIHf events. But the country that Holik origionally played for doesn't even exist anymore, so could that be a special case?

Old
05-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
i understand that if you've previously played for another country that your not allowed to play for another in IIHf events.
The issue isn't whether or not his country is still there, thats a moot point. The US decided on its own that we are gonna have different rules for ourselves in essence screwing us out of a great 3rd line center. Nice job Pleu.... screw the country just because Holik wasnt born here.... I guess Hull is better because he was born in Canada and not Czechoslovakia. Who cares if Holik played for that team 10 years ago?

Old
05-24-2004, 01:57 AM
Prucha73

What did Chelios and Langenbrunner do to be selected for team USA?

Old
05-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
IMO, if you choose to make America your permanent home and you call yourself an American, you're an American. We're a nation of immigrants, and I prefer not to make distinctions of who is more American than whom. I think they shouldn't have dismissed him out of hand just because of his birthplace and original citizenship.
Some people move here show more respect for the country than people who were born and raised here. I agree 100% with what you said. It's like debating if someone is Holier than someone else, etc.

Holik didn't become a U.S. citizen to play hockey {aka Nedved moving to Canada than wanting to play for the Czech}. He became a U.S. citizen because he wanted to do and this is his home.

I say if he's a citizen and if he wants to represent his home country, than let him.

Old
05-24-2004, 06:02 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I agree.

agree - either he is the right man for the squad or he isn't. Saying that he played
JWC for a country that doesn't exist anymore and that will preclude him for qualifying for US squad is reaching for rationale.

the US WC squad was excellent, fast skating boys with heart, played awesome hockey. For most part they have been replaced with old slow guys.
Richard Park was voted best US forward has been omitted - that is simply scandalous.

So of this team only Drury, Conklin, Miller, and Halpern have made it and I believe it is a wrong decision. It will come back to bite us in the butt

Old
05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
The issue isn't whether or not his country is still there, thats a moot point. The US decided on its own that we are gonna have different rules for ourselves in essence screwing us out of a great 3rd line center. Nice job Pleu.... screw the country just because Holik wasnt born here.... I guess Hull is better because he was born in Canada and not Czechoslovakia. Who cares if Holik played for that team 10 years ago?

This is ridiculous. The U.S. has great depth down the middle. There had to be some cuts somewhere...................

Old
05-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger
agree - either he is the right man for the squad or he isn't. Saying that he played
JWC for a country that doesn't exist anymore and that will preclude him for qualifying for US squad is reaching for rationale.

the US WC squad was excellent, fast skating boys with heart, played awesome hockey. For most part they have been replaced with old slow guys.
Richard Park was voted best US forward has been omitted - that is simply scandalous.

So of this team only Drury, Conklin, Miller, and Halpern have made it and I believe it is a wrong decision. It will come back to bite us in the butt

Who are the "old slow guys" on the team? Hull and Chelios? Aaron Miller and Derian Hatcher are the only other average skaters on this team. Everyone else is a good to great skater.

Old
05-24-2004, 10:04 AM
NYR Khabby Fan

Holik is an AMERICAN... this is an AMERICAN team. I don't care whether he was born here. My grandfather was born in Italy.. does that mean he's not American? Should he not be allowed American benefits? So why does Holik get screwed

very good point barnaby

Old
05-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Ya know, Pleau basically made a promise to the guys who were selected for World Championship that they would continue to represent the US in the other international tourney's. What would outrage Brooks more? Having Pleau change a standard he set and renig on that promise or to see Holik left out because of his ineligibility in IIHF sanctioned events.

Closed Thread