HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Canucks 4th Line Center?

Old
07-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Your Canucks 4th Line Center?

I truly believe having one of Perrault or especially Rypien as the 4th line center will not help us in acquiring the Stanley Cup. So why do many of you keep slotting these guys in that spot in your lineup predictions?

MG has to get a cheap vet 4th line center or acquire one via a KB trade imo.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
I truly believe having one of Perrault or especially Rypien as the 4th line center will not help us in acquiring the Stanley Cup. So why do many of you keep slotting these guys in that spot in your lineup predictions?

MG has to get a cheap vet 4th line center or acquire one via a KB trade imo.
Depends. If Henrik and Kesler play 20 minutes a night and Malhotra plays 15, the 4th line will only need to play about 5 minutes a night. The key is for the Canucks to find a 3rd line winger that can PK with Malhotra. If they do, they'll have Burrows, Kesler, Malhotra, new winger, Raymond, and maybe Hansen as six forwards that can rotate through the PK. I'd slot the Sedins in there if I were the coach, but I think we can all rest (un)assured that it won't happen.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
keslehr*

I've been pencilling in Mair. He'd be a great pickup, good on D, 51.625% on faceoffs, gritty and can fight. Would give us a great energy line with Oreskovich and Rypien/Glass. Cheap too.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
DreamCatcher*

Joel Perrault -- He has size, skill, and grit.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Robert604strom

I'd say rippin Rick,bolduc or maybe even bliznak

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Stonz

I'd rather add a big 3rd line winger.

For the 5-7 minutes a night they'll see, I think we'll be alright with one of Bolduc, Perault or Rypien.

Spend the money on an asset that will see more icetime, and have more impact.

Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Joel Perrault

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Wetcoaster

Oreskovich used to play centre. He is big and skates well.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:50 PM
metric

Training camp will tell for sure but the more I think about it the more I think it's Joel Perrault. I know stats don't tell everything but he managed 0.29 PPG in 89 games with the Blues and Coyotes. He's also near a PPG in the last few years in the AHL. I realize AHL numbers don't say much but it's still pretty good when you consider Bolduc, Rypien and Glass weren't even close to PPG in the AHL.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:29 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Joel Perrault -- He has size, skill, and grit.
Yeah he has it all

He's played 9 NHL games in the last two years for the Coyotes

There's a reason for that. The same people saying Perrault will be on the team are the ones that were saying Krog would be on the team.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:56 AM
LeftCoast

A cheap veteran 4th line centre?

A veteran player who was any good would not be cheap. A cheap veteran is either over 38 years old or has huge deficiencies (even for a 4th liner) in some dimension of his game.

What we have instead is a number of younger players who are going to work their tails off to win that spot.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

bolduc has speed, and decent hands, just don't let him fight

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:37 AM
denkiteki

Right now, it would be Ripper just because he is the only returning 4th line center we have. But if he doesn't improve his FO skills (as few as he will actually take), then Bolduc, Perrault, or Bliznak (in that order). I think Bolduc actually manage to win ~54% of his FO which is quite impressive and fairly important as we don't want the 4th line chasing non-stop. The alternative is of course having someone else take the face off then roll them on the ice but you also risk that center being trapped for an extended period of time.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Slapshot_11

Begin

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:28 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Ideally? Malholtra...

I know he would be the most over paid player in the league in that role, but it also implies that CoHo managed to win the spot and plays a better game than him. If that doesn't say headache I want to deal with I don't know what does.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Scurr

In the salary cap era you have to sacrifice somewhere, 4th line C isn't the worst place to do it.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
A cheap veteran 4th line centre?

A veteran player who was any good would not be cheap. A cheap veteran is either over 38 years old or has huge deficiencies (even for a 4th liner) in some dimension of his game.

What we have instead is a number of younger players who are going to work their tails off to win that spot.
Examples of cheap and borderline cheap vet 4th line centers, in addition to some UFA's (signed/not signed), and some that would be nice to acquire via trade that all could be had and or are making around a mill a piece.

Neidermayer, Blair Betts, Talbot, McClement, Metropolit, Max Lapierre, Begin, Yelle, Andrew Murray, Halpern, Jerred Smithson, T. Mitchell, Primeau.

Perrault could be interesting but its a calculated risk if he doesn't pan out and is another career AHLer, I'd be scared to put out the 4th line in a pressure filled situation with Rypien as the center, especially in the playoffs.

Just having a solid vet who knows how to take care of business and has that precious experience to handle pressure, could go miles to help the top lines get a breather in the 3rd period in a tight game and the playoffs to get a win.

We seen what happens to the Twins and Kesler line when they get over worked, and having a bunch of pluggers who have no specialty on the 4th really didn't give AV confidence to let them play too much to give those top lines a breather, and either that or they played like **** and cost us a penalty and momentum and eventual loss.

What it all boils down to is, MG getting a vet guy, who can be pretty good at faceoffs, solid in his own zone defensively, has a decent pass so he can help out a bit in putting the puck in the forecheck, thereby tiring out the team just enough for our top 2 - 3 lines so they can possibly get a momentum changing shift to help win a game or series next season.

Last edited by Kagee*: 07-11-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:45 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Ideally? Malholtra...

I know he would be the most over paid player in the league in that role, but it also implies that CoHo managed to win the spot and plays a better game than him. If that doesn't say headache I want to deal with I don't know what does.
Except Malholtra said he was willing to pay the wing. Also Hogs shouldn't have any issues moving to the wing. If Hogs wins his spot, he will be on the 2nd line with Kesler until Burrows comes back. If he does what he's expected to with Kesler, he won't ever have to even worry about the 3rd line or who's on it.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Shareefruck

Getting a 4th line center is our last pressing need, IMO... although i honestly wouldn't have a problem with

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Schroeder
Burrows - Hodgson - Hansen
Glass - Malhotra - Oreskovich

Either way, that fourth line center spot is important, and Rypien just won't cut it, IMO.

In my opinion, this:

Hansen - Malhotra - Hodgson
Glass - Rypien/Bolduc - Oreskovich

looks awful, and will cost us playoff games.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Who woulda thought ten years ago tha we have to argue who makes our team minus the obvisou,

Chicago showed us a 1 year team should built. Good thing that was there onlhw window(dont wna jync it ut i hjate the hawk()

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Canuckee

NHL TOTALS
89 games
12 goals
14 assists
26 points
-17 plus/minus
68 penalty minutes

those aren't that bad of points totals for a fourth line centre. He's big two and has got decent hands. Don't know about pk ability though

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:23 AM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Getting a 4th line center is our last pressing need, IMO... although i honestly wouldn't have a problem with

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Schroeder
Burrows - Hodgson - Hansen
Glass - Malhotra - Oreskovich

Either way, that fourth line center spot is important, and Rypien just won't cut it, IMO.

In my opinion, this:

Hansen - Malhotra - Hodgson
Glass - Rypien/Bolduc - Oreskovich

looks awful, and will cost us playoff games.
we had to roll three lines last year in the playoffs and it killed us. We need to be able to roll all 4 lines, and I doubt were paying Malhotra 7.5m for 3 years to be our 4th line center, he will play on the wing or center the third line

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Meganuck*

Bolduc should be given that chance first.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Examples of cheap and borderline cheap vet 4th line centers, in addition to some UFA's (signed/not signed), and some that would be nice to acquire via trade that all could be had and or are making around a mill a piece.

Neidermayer, Blair Betts, Talbot, McClement, Metropolit, Max Lapierre, Begin, Yelle, Andrew Murray, Halpern, Jerred Smithson, T. Mitchell, Primeau.

Perrault could be interesting but its a calculated risk if he doesn't pan out and is another career AHLer, I'd be scared to put out the 4th line in a pressure filled situation with Rypien as the center, especially in the playoffs.

Just having a solid vet who knows how to take care of business and has that precious experience to handle pressure, could go miles to help the top lines get a breather in the 3rd period in a tight game and the playoffs to get a win.

We seen what happens to the Twins and Kesler line when they get over worked, and having a bunch of pluggers who have no specialty on the 4th really didn't give AV confidence to let them play too much to give those top lines a breather, and either that or they played like **** and cost us a penalty and momentum and eventual loss.

What it all boils down to is, MG getting a vet guy, who can be pretty good at faceoffs, solid in his own zone defensively, has a decent pass so he can help out a bit in putting the puck in the forecheck, thereby tiring out the team just enough for our top 2 - 3 lines so they can possibly get a momentum changing shift to help win a game or series next season.
Neidermayer signed last week with the Sabres for $1.15M plus playoff bonuses...

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
Who woulda thought ten years ago tha we have to argue who makes our team minus the obvisou,

Chicago showed us a 1 year team should built. Good thing that was there onlhw window(dont wna jync it ut i hjate the hawk()
what?

Horrorshow is offline   Reply With Quote