HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

OT:The Thread About Nothing (Part 62 Nascar Edition :P)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Oh man. If i borrowed a microcontroller from Cornell, I could rig them up to one of those Staples Easy buttons (the ones that say "That was easy," when you hit them) to make it even more douchey, and then bust it out at exams next semester.
See, now your thinking!

Old
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Two words: Honda Civic.
Two words: Mazda Miata

The most fun car you can buy for under $3000. And, it's reliable. but not safe, lol

Old
07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

The car would have to be my commuter for the rest of the summer, and there's no way I'm taking a Miata on the Cross Bronx/LIE. It'd be suicide.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:42 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

in that case, get a civic or a ford focus or something like that.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:46 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

That's probably what I'll end up in, truth be told, but I'm waiting on a buddy of mine to get back to me. Apparently he may have a relatively low mileage BMW E30 3-series available. If I can get a deal on it, I'll be ecstatic. I've wanted one for years.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
That's probably what I'll end up in, truth be told, but I'm waiting on a buddy of mine to get back to me. Apparently he may have a relatively low mileage BMW E30 3-series available. If I can get a deal on it, I'll be ecstatic. I've wanted one for years.
Those are absolutely awesome cars.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Those are absolutely awesome cars.
Oh man I know. I really hope he comes through.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Oh man I know. I really hope he comes through.
Parts for cars of that age aren't even crazy expensive right?

I'd totally drive one of those into the ground, haha.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Parts for cars of that age aren't even crazy expensive right?

I'd totally drive one of those into the ground, haha.
They're not quite dirt cheap, but not definitely monstrously expensive, especially since the car is pretty much a cult classic with a sizable internet community.

And yeah, they'll run forever more or less. A different friend picked up an '86 323e for free from a relative. It's starting to run into trouble now but it has 275k miles on it. The engine and transmission are fine, it's just the suspension is shot. I'll take 275,000 miles out of a car any day. My Jeep sure as hell isn't going to hit that.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
They're not quite dirt cheap, but not definitely monstrously expensive, especially since the car is pretty much a cult classic with a sizable internet community.

And yeah, they'll run forever more or less. A different friend picked up an '86 323e for free from a relative. It's starting to run into trouble now but it has 275k miles on it. The engine and transmission are fine, it's just the suspension is shot. I'll take 275,000 miles out of a car any day. My Jeep sure as hell isn't going to hit that.
I mean, what can your expectations of 275K really be though? Haha.

My Saturn has 105K-ish and I lose a little sleep every night wondering how much money I'm going to have to dump into it before it's paid off...

Old
07-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
Everybody loves a parade

Although I love the cars the races can get boooooring as does Nascar
Standing starts vs. rolling starts.

Standing starts RULE. Blame the parade on the idiot who caused the crash in turn 1. F1 got much more entertaining with the position changes thanks to refueling stops - before that I give you it was a bit boring after the first 5 laps unless it started to rain and everyone had to switch to rain tyres. (That's for you brit)

I used to get up at all kinds of weird hours to watch F1 with my dad live, but haven't followed it since the days of Nigel Mansell and Mika Hakkinen.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
I mean, what can your expectations of 275K really be though? Haha.

My Saturn has 105K-ish and I lose a little sleep every night wondering how much money I'm going to have to dump into it before it's paid off...
I picked up my 1994 Grand Cherokee for free from a neighbor who died and left it to my family and it has 115k. When I got it it had 87k or so and most of the 30,000 was put on this summer and last for be commuting/going back and forth to school. It's in amazing shape because it was maintained so well before we got it. Only things I've had to do to it are brakes, new battery, and a repair to the fuel line which started leaking. Absolutely amazing for a 16 year old car.

Before that I drove my dad's '98 Intrepid up to 160k and it survived 7 accidents int hat time as well. No major repairs at all beyond normal maintenance. The transmission was starting to go, and leaked ATF at like a quart+ a month depending on the weather, but it drove like a champ right up until he day we sold it to a junkyard for 300 bucks (300 more than it was worth with all that body damage and a semi-functional passenger door). We even saw some woman driving it 2 weeks later, poor girl.

So basically I've had pretty damn good luck with cars, I think.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

taken from transformers 3 filming
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old
07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I picked up my 1994 Grand Cherokee for free from a neighbor who died and left it to my family and it has 115k. When I got it it had 87k or so and most of the 30,000 was put on this summer and last for be commuting/going back and forth to school. It's in amazing shape because it was maintained so well before we got it. Only things I've had to do to it are brakes, new battery, and a repair to the fuel line which started leaking. Absolutely amazing for a 16 year old car.

Before that I drove my dad's '98 Intrepid up to 160k and it survived 7 accidents int hat time as well. No major repairs at all beyond normal maintenance. The transmission was starting to go, and leaked ATF at like a quart+ a month depending on the weather, but it drove like a champ right up until he day we sold it to a junkyard for 300 bucks (300 more than it was worth with all that body damage and a semi-functional passenger door). We even saw some woman driving it 2 weeks later, poor girl.

So basically I've had pretty damn good luck with cars, I think.
Sounds like every car I've had, except with some fewer accidents.

I've beaten the piss out of every car I've ever owned, just by driving a lot. Since I was in high school my job has been a 25+ mile commute each way. So that racks up the miles REALLY fast. I mean, I bought my Saturn in Oct of 2007, and put on like 50K already.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:53 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Sounds like every car I've had, except with some fewer accidents.

I've beaten the piss out of every car I've ever owned, just by driving a lot. Since I was in high school my job has been a 25+ mile commute each way. So that racks up the miles REALLY fast. I mean, I bought my Saturn in Oct of 2007, and put on like 50K already.
Yeah I put like 14000 miles on my Jeep last summer alone, it was intense. I'll hit 10k on it this summer too. That's a lot of driving for in 3 months. I love it to death and it's comfy as hell, convenient too, but it costs a fortune to drive and my brother "needs" it to drive literally .3 miles to work because he's too lazy to ride his bike. I'm a little bitter over that.

Ah well, if I can get that E30, I won't give a flying **** about losing the Jeep.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Yeah I put like 14000 miles on my Jeep last summer alone, it was intense. I'll hit 10k on it this summer too. That's a lot of driving for in 3 months. I love it to death and it's comfy as hell, convenient too, but it costs a fortune to drive and my brother "needs" it to drive literally .3 miles to work because he's too lazy to ride his bike. I'm a little bitter over that.

Ah well, if I can get that E30, I won't give a flying **** about losing the Jeep.
Wow. If I lived .3 miles from work I wouldn't ever drive. Unless it was like, pouring rain and I lost my umbrella. Or snowing, but even then I have good boots, haha.

Luckily me and my step-siblings (don't have any "real" siblings) all have had to buy our own cars, so we don't have to worry about that stuff, haha.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:06 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Wow. If I lived .3 miles from work I wouldn't ever drive. Unless it was like, pouring rain and I lost my umbrella. Or snowing, but even then I have good boots, haha.

Luckily me and my step-siblings (don't have any "real" siblings) all have had to buy our own cars, so we don't have to worry about that stuff, haha.
I used to lifeguard at the same beach, for 4 years actually, and I rode to work pretty much every day, rain or shine, hot or cold. It's really nonsense.

Not that I don't need to get my own car, I totally do. I recognize that. It just feels a little sacrilegious handing my baby over to a guy who's going to struggle to put 5 miles on it daily.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I ******* HATE NJ Transit!!!

Old
07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I ********ng HATE NJ Transit!!!
Rough commute?

Old
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

5 am - major thunderstorm with a downpour rolls in and wakes me to a crack of lightning and thunder. I realize my patio umbrella is still up and run downstairs out into the monsoon to crank it down before it blows around and breaks some windows. Halfway into the exercise as lightning is flashing all around I begin to think maybe standing in a puddle of water and holding onto a big pole turning a metal crank isn't such a good idea...

From dead sleep to drenched in 60 seconds. I didn't need that.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Rough commute?
Lol..yes it was. Took the 7:08 out of Mt. Arlington, it broke down in Dover (the first stop), so we all had to get out, wait 20 minutes for the NY Penn station train, take that to Summit, and then wait another 20 minutes for a connecting train to Hoboken, which then proceeded to make ALL the local stops. Usually get into 'boken at 8:36, didn't get in until 9:45, finally got to my desk at 9:59.

7:30, and Iron Maiden can't come soon enough!

Old
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Lol..yes it was. Took the 7:08 out of Mt. Arlington, it broke down in Dover (the first stop), so we all had to get out, wait 20 minutes for the NY Penn station train, take that to Summit, and then wait another 20 minutes for a connecting train to Hoboken, which then proceeded to make ALL the local stops. Usually get into 'boken at 8:36, didn't get in until 9:45, finally got to my desk at 9:59.

7:30, and Iron Maiden can't come soon enough!
Well just think now you have less time at work.

O man you had to say that I haven't seen the other forum so IDK if saw I lost my ticket.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

Old
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor BR View Post
Well just think now you have less time at work.

O man you had to say that I haven't seen the other forum so IDK if saw I lost my ticket.
Lol..good point.

Yes, I saw that..what happened?

Old
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Lol..good point.

Yes, I saw that..what happened?
Ya I just saw and replied.

AND I HATE YOU BOTH NOW! At least for today since I will be stuck at work.

Closed Thread