HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan // Zach Parise

Old
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Weezel RX7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Bobby Ryan // Zach Parise

I've been gone a while from the boards so im not too up to speed.

But has anyone entertained the idea of putting in an offer sheet for Bobby Ryan? He's turned down 5mil over 5 years, so compensation would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd pick for him. I say why not? Our drafts havent produced a scoring winger outside of Vanek (questionable, I know) and that was a top 5 pick. Were not gonna be getting a top 5 pick anytime soon.

Of course, it falls on the Front Office to take a risk, something they dont seem to want to do. It was good enough for Brian Burke to unload 2 firsts and 2 seconds for Kessel and they had a terrible team assured of a top 10 pick. Were a playoff team, its not like we'd be giving up a top 10 pick for Ryan.

If Kovalchuk goes to NJ, it may open the door to Parise leaving and hes another player Id love to see in Blue and Gold.

Weezel RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7 View Post
I've been gone a while from the boards so im not too up to speed.

But has anyone entertained the idea of putting in an offer sheet for Bobby Ryan? He's turned down 5mil over 5 years, so compensation would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd pick for him. I say why not? Our drafts havent produced a scoring winger outside of Vanek (questionable, I know) and that was a top 5 pick. Were not gonna be getting a top 5 pick anytime soon.

Of course, it falls on the Front Office to take a risk, something they dont seem to want to do. It was good enough for Brian Burke to unload 2 firsts and 2 seconds for Kessel and they had a terrible team assured of a top 10 pick. Were a playoff team, its not like we'd be giving up a top 10 pick for Ryan.

If Kovalchuk goes to NJ, it may open the door to Parise leaving and hes another player Id love to see in Blue and Gold.

There was a thread specifically on Ryan here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=792860

And in the "Unrealistic Players" thread, he came up: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=777210

I don't think there is any way Anaheim lets him go. He's just too damned good.

As for Parise.... again, why would Jersey move him? He's on a great deal, is very good at what he does, and I don't see any reason why a rental loss would cause him to bolt. He's been a good team guy for them, is there something I missed that he has said he is discontent?

07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There was a thread specifically on Ryan here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=792860

And in the "Unrealistic Players" thread, he came up: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=777210

I don't think there is any way Anaheim lets him go. He's just too damned good.

As for Parise.... again, why would Jersey move him? He's on a great deal, is very good at what he does, and I don't see any reason why a rental loss would cause him to bolt. He's been a good team guy for them, is there something I missed that he has said he is discontent?
Thanks.

As for NJ moving him, i think it would be more about having the cash to keep him more than anything if they were to sign Kovy to the deal he wants.

Weezel RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7 View Post
Thanks.

As for NJ moving him, i think it would be more about having the cash to keep him more than anything if they were to sign Kovy to the deal he wants.
Jersey has other, less important tradeable pieces--Salvador, Langenbrunner, Zubrus--that would be gone long before Parise is gone. From all accounts on the Devils board, Parise is their next captain.

He and Ryan are going nowhere.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Jersey has other, less important tradeable pieces--Salvador, Langenbrunner, Zubrus--that would be gone long before Parise is gone. From all accounts on the Devils board, Parise is their next captain.

He and Ryan are going nowhere.
Stafford for Zubrus and a 1st!

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Parise makes more sense to me than Ryan. I think if NJ were to sign Kovalchuk, they might consider moving Parise. Ever since Parise emerged and became one of NJ's best forwards, they've been known as "playoff chokers". I'm not saying that's his fault or anything, but maybe Lou thinks a line shake-up would be best to get his team winning more in the playoffs. And considering they already have Kovalchuk and Elias in their LW depth, they might be looking for more center or right wing depth. So perhaps Pominville/1st rounder/+ would do the trick? Poms seems like the kind of player Lou would like.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Parise makes more sense to me than Ryan. I think if NJ were to sign Kovalchuk, they might consider moving Parise. Ever since Parise emerged and became one of NJ's best forwards, they've been known as "playoff chokers". I'm not saying that's his fault or anything, but maybe Lou thinks a line shake-up would be best to get his team winning more in the playoffs. And considering they already have Kovalchuk and Elias in their LW depth, they might be looking for more center or right wing depth. So perhaps Pominville/1st rounder/+ would do the trick? Poms seems like the kind of player Lou would like.
Parise is to the Devils what Miller is to us. Not in direct talent comparison but in "He won't be moved short of a massive overpayment"

Like previously stated. Langenbrunner, Salvador, Zubrus, and even Zajac will all move before Parise does.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Okay fine, let's just go after Zajac then

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
Okay fine, let's just go after Zajac then
Still not gonna happen in all likelihood but id be on board all week long and twice on Sundays.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
What is the difference between Z and Stafford's salary?

If the Devils were ever going to entertain this type of offer (I doubt it, but if they are desperate) I would make it in a second. I liked Zubrus for the short time he was on the Sabres. He may not be the ideal piece we're looking for but plays a solid game and has size.

NJ may be a good destination for Staff as well, didn't he play with Zajac and Parise in College hockey?

That 1st would be a great asset come deadline day.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
yea, i had that same idea a few days ago when Kovy's signing was "imminent".

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
What is the difference between Z and Stafford's salary?

If the Devils were ever going to entertain this type of offer (I doubt it, but if they are desperate) I would make it in a second. I liked Zubrus for the short time he was on the Sabres. He may not be the ideal piece we're looking for but plays a solid game and has size.

NJ may be a good destination for Staff as well, didn't he play with Zajac and Parise in College hockey?

That 1st would be a great asset come deadline day.
Zubrus is due $3.4 million per year for the next three seasons. He had injury problems last year but was right on his usual low-40 points per season pace.

And yes, Stafford did play with both Zajac (2 years) and Parise (one) at UND, and two seasons with Shattuck-St. Mary's with Parise in HS.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:25 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Sign me up, but I think the best you'll get back from Evil Lou is a 2nd. Either way, I'm good with that.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Sign me up, but I think the best you'll get back from Evil Lou is a 2nd. Either way, I'm good with that.

Ta,
Devils don't have a second in 2011 -- part of the Arnott deal. Stafford for Zubrus as the principles works. I don't see one team or the other moving their first, NJ doesn't have their second.... *shrug* I'm not sure what sort of equalization they could come to if any.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Devils don't have a second in 2011 -- part of the Arnott deal. Stafford for Zubrus as the principles works. I don't see one team or the other moving their first, NJ doesn't have their second.... *shrug* I'm not sure what sort of equalization they could come to if any.
Sabres could add a 2nd or 3rd, or lesser prospect...

$3.4m per is steep for Zubrus, but as I said I liked him for the short time he was playing in Buffalo. And I'd rather a natural C or RW, but the deal works...

Not sure exactly how the Devils cap situation works out at the moment. If they add Kovalchuk, then wouldn they even be able to take anything back in a trade?

Old
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Sabres could add a 2nd or 3rd, or lesser prospect...

$3.4m per is steep for Zubrus, but as I said I liked him for the short time he was playing in Buffalo. And I'd rather a natural C or RW, but the deal works...

Not sure exactly how the Devils cap situation works out at the moment. If they add Kovalchuk, then wouldn they even be able to take anything back in a trade?
Eh, the point being the cap relief for the Devils by swapping Zubrus for Stafford is worth something more than just Zubrus. I don't think the Sabres would have to add a thing.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Eh, the point being the cap relief for the Devils by swapping Zubrus for Stafford is worth something more than just Zubrus. I don't think the Sabres would have to add a thing.
Would they give up the 1st rounder? This is what I am assuming when suggesting the Sabres add a lower pick/prospect to even out.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Would they give up the 1st rounder? This is what I am assuming when suggesting the Sabres add a lower pick/prospect to even out.
I don't think Lou bites on dealing his first rounder to make a cap move. He's going to want to keep that for trade purposes come the deadline when he still has Brodeur in net and in this scenario, the offensive power of Kovalchuk, Elias, Parise, Zajac, and Arnott. He's got some very good support forwards in Zubrus, Clarkson, Rolston, but his blueline needs a dynamic puck mover (sound familiar?) to key their PP and transition all that talent to offense. I think Lou goes looking for that player with his first rounder.

Old
07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
I don't think Lou bites on dealing his first rounder to make a cap move. He's going to want to keep that for trade purposes come the deadline when he still has Brodeur in net and in this scenario, the offensive power of Kovalchuk, Elias, Parise, Zajac, and Arnott. He's got some very good support forwards in Zubrus, Clarkson, Rolston, but his blueline needs a dynamic puck mover (sound familiar?) to key their PP and transition all that talent to offense. I think Lou goes looking for that player with his first rounder.
I agree, which is why I questioned in the first place.

If NJ become desperate (and they saw Stafford as the ideal project with Parise and Zajac) then maybe something like

Zubrus + 1st

for

Stafford + 2nd/3rd

would work.

Unless they see Sekera/Butler as the potential puck mover..