Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D Zach McKelvie (BOS)

Old
07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
OrrCam

vCash: 500
D Zach McKelvie (BOS)

It appears the Bs extended his contract for another year. It's kind of strange, however, as I'm unable to find him on any of their prospect lists. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't recall any PR on his re-signing. I know he was tangled up with red tape around his military commitments which delayed his graduation to the pro ranks. I believe he was signed with relatively high expectations, but he seems to have become the forgotten one.....hidden in the attic maybe?

Does anyone have any info on him? Is he still expected to at some point play....Bs or P Bs? Is he playing road hockey somewhere now or what's the scoop?

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1493

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:56 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
It appears the Bs extended his contract for another year. It's kind of strange, however, as I'm unable to find him on any of their prospect lists. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't recall any PR on his re-signing. I know he was tangled up with red tape around his military commitments which delayed his graduation to the pro ranks. I believe he was signed with relatively high expectations, but he seems to have become the forgotten one.....hidden in the attic maybe?

Does anyone have any info on him? Is he still expected to at some point play....Bs or P Bs? Is he playing road hockey somewhere now or what's the scoop?

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/28/u...ies-nhl-dream/

The Army decided to withdraw their approval of allowing him to play.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post

That really sucks. I feel bad for him.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Riiseli
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Riiseli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post

Yes they did, but this is rather old news. I, too, have been looking for some new info as he just recently got signed for 2010-2011 and all the articles I've seen from earlier this year have stated that he'll serve for two years starting this April.

Riiseli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
PBruinsfan10

Not to dig up an old thread, but I too keep running across McKelvie's name as being on a 2010-2011 contract. AFAIK his original contract was a 1-year, he was slated to begin in Providence in Oct. '09, and then the army said he had to go in for two years.

Why the heck would he get an extension, then?? Anyone have any insight on this one?

PBruinsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
Not to dig up an old thread, but I too keep running across McKelvie's name as being on a 2010-2011 contract. AFAIK his original contract was a 1-year, he was slated to begin in Providence in Oct. '09, and then the army said he had to go in for two years.

Why the heck would he get an extension, then?? Anyone have any insight on this one?
Wouldnt it just be because the contract slides to the next year if he didn't play any games?

Just like how if you send a player back to junior, his contract slides.

TMHUNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:40 PM
PBruinsfan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH View Post
Wouldnt it just be because the contract slides to the next year if he didn't play any games?

Hmm, that would make sense. It'll be sliding to 2011-2012 really, then, I guess, since this is the 2nd year of his 2 years of duty?

I've heard good things about this kid, I hope he's able to get game-ready by next season. That'd be pretty cool.

PBruinsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Riiseli
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH View Post

It just isn't same contract:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruinsfan10 View Post
Hmm, that would make sense. It'll be sliding to 2011-2012 really, then, I guess, since this is the 2nd year of his 2 years of duty?

I've heard good things about this kid, I hope he's able to get game-ready by next season. That'd be pretty cool.
I'm pretty certain I read somewhere that he started his tour of duty just this April, so he shouldn't be available to play until the 2012-2013 season.

Maybe they are hoping he'll be able to play one day and are hanging on to his rights by signing these contracts with him? Or maybe there is still hope he'll get a pass from the army?

Last edited by Riiseli: 07-30-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Seachd

Sorry, I don't understand the whole McKelvie situation, but is he not playing anywhere this year?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Sorry, I don't understand the whole McKelvie situation, but is he not playing anywhere this year?
More than likely at some rink at an Army base

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

McKelvie gets credit towards his service obligation after commissioning in 2009, even though he didn't report to his basic course until April of 2010 (he was an athletic assistant at West Point while his pro status was up in the air).

He'll more than likely be cleared to play for the 2011-12 season, given that he'll have served two years on active duty by that point, but obviously up in the air right now. And, the question is-- what effect will the layoff have on him?

Bruins still have him in their 2010-11 media guide, so it looks like they're hoping he can give it a go next season.

As far as rinks go on bases-- his best bet will be to get assigned near Ft. Bragg or Ft. Drum-- the only two on-post rinks I know of other than Alaska. I would imagine he skated at the Columbus Civic Center outside Ft. Benning, Ga. when he was there for training, but didn't likely get much of a challenge skill-wise.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Riiseli
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
McKelvie gets credit towards his service obligation after commissioning in 2009, even though he didn't report to his basic course until April of 2010 (he was an athletic assistant at West Point while his pro status was up in the air).
Pretty good news.

Old
10-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewins View Post
That really sucks. I feel bad for him.
Well, after all, he did make a committment to the Army when he enlisted at West Point.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:12 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

He'll more than likely be cleared to play for the 2011-12 season, given that he'll have served two years on active duty by that point, but obviously up in the air right now. And, the question is-- what effect will the layoff have on him?

Bruins still have him in their 2010-11 media guide, so it looks like they're hoping he can give it a go next season.

As far as rinks go on bases-- his best bet will be to get assigned near Ft. Bragg or Ft. Drum-- the only two on-post rinks I know of other than Alaska. I would imagine he skated at the Columbus Civic Center outside Ft. Benning, Ga. when he was there for training, but didn't likely get much of a challenge skill-wise.
David Robinson-like?? Didn`t he fulfill his obligations before moving into a Pro career?? Not in any way saying this kid (who I know nothing about) is a diamond, more commenting about the scenario of committment to West Point

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
at least when he does play he will be in excellent shape and have a lot of mental/physical toughness...

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 08:48 AM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Well, after all, he did make a committment to the Army when he enlisted at West Point.
Oh yeah. I just feel bad that they did a 180 on him. It would have been easier on him if they had just said no all along.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Ratty

I don't think the Army really cares about hurting his feelings.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
I don't think the Army really cares about hurting his feelings.
I doubt feelings had anything to do with it, but it does send a message to scholar/athletes that are considering West Point as a possible destination. Not saying the Army is right or wrong, but their actions set a precedent in this case, kind of the opposite of what happened with David Robinson (if I have the story straight, and I may not?).

GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
David Robinson-like?? Didn`t he fulfill his obligations before moving into a Pro career?? Not in any way saying this kid (who I know nothing about) is a diamond, more commenting about the scenario of committment to West Point
The commitment for the service academies is five years active duty. Robinson did a few years on active duty, but not the full five, finishing out his remaining time on reserve status.

I believe Detroit Lions DB Caleb Campbell, who was drafted in '08 under the belief that he would also be released to take a shot at the NFL immediately before the army pulled back, did two years in uniform and then went to camp this past summer. I don't know his status off the top of my head-- whether he made the team or not, but haven't heard much about him lately.

As an Army PAO, and this is just my personal opinion here and in no way any kind of official position or condemnation, but I'm a little perplexed at my service's ham-handed handling of McKelvie's status; he and the Bruins were led to believe that the policy had changed, allowing him to make a go at the NHL right away, but somehow, the enormous bureaucracy once again muddled things up. That said, he got a hugely expensive college education on taxpayer dime, and the rest of his classmates who don't have his prodigious hockey talents are out there fulfilling their commitments, so I can understand the side who wants him to do his time and repay Uncle Sam like everyone else. At the same time, it's a bit of a double standard, because the Army sponsors troops in the Olympic program and they don't serve in traditional assignments and instead are free to hone their skills on their respective sport.

The biggest problem with the whole thing is that McKelvie was told one thing, and then had the rug pulled out from under him. That's wrong. When he entered West Point, he was likely not considered a pro hockey prospect in any way shape or form, but probably is one of these classic late bloomers who established himself and demonstrated the kind of potential that attracted the B's and prompted them to sign him to a contract. Had he known he would be competitive for this kind of career, he more than likely would have followed his twin brother to Bemidji State or some other NCAA D1 program and not West Point.

Unfortunately, the military isn't the best place to find people who see the bigger picture sometimes and could have understood the good PR that having an Army officer moving on to a potential NHL career could have generated not only for the service but the West Point athletic program. I'm reading Gen. (ret.) Hugh Shelton's autobiography right now, and in the first 100 pages, he related two separate stories of cold, callous, myopic actions taken by people who, if using just an ounce of common sense and compassion, could have engendered terrific loyalty and followership on Shelton's part. Luckily for us, he didn't let that kind of moronic behavior dissuade him from serving 30 years and ultimately becoming the highest ranking general in our military as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs in 1997, but I have seen some very good soldiers get out over the years because of idiots above them who simply cannot see the bigger picture and let their own limited worldview impose an unnecessary misery on others.

I'll get off the soapbox, but like I said-- it is the simpleton who hides behind the regulation and policy rather than find the kind of solution that allows everyone to win. I have no doubt that Lt. McKelvie has and will continue to serve with honor, but between him and Campbell the army has essentially screwed itself out of bringing in any high-end talent who may want to entertain the notion of serving but also may have aspiration of a career in pro sports. A very good friend of mine (and West Point grad) recently left the Army because his infantry branch manager couldn't get off his duff to do the paperwork to get him a dispensation to take two years to attend Harvard Business School, which he got into on his own while deployed to Iraq, I would add. My bud wanted to stay in, and all he was asking for was a deferment on his assignment as an observer/controller in California to attend grad school instead. But this fool-- and I'd call him that to his face if I ever met him-- didn't want to do that because it meant he would have to file additional paperwork and have to get someone else to take the assignment. My friend said, with you or without you, I'm going to Harvard-- and he did, graduating this year and now has a very nice job with Amazon. But, to my view, this country would be much better off if he were still in uniform. I hold one idiot major, who probably thought he was being "Mr. Billy Bad-a**" by denying a guy the chance to attend one of the most prestigious institutions in the country, accountable for not allowing the service to benefit from LB's sterling education in Cambridge that he could have brought back into the military with him. Abject stupidity, but it happens.

I just tell you this story to highlight that sometimes, the service can't help itself. And that as much as we would like to believe that a simple decision like the one to let McKelvie slide and give it a go at his pro hockey dreams would be nice, but that sometimes, we're a slave to individuals and their own biases and limitations.

Again- this is just my opinion and not an official position. I've watched the McKelvie case with interest and was hoping that someone would intercede on his behalf, but that didn't happen, so he'll have to take the longer road. But, if Johnny Boychuk has taught us anything, sometimes, the longer road weeds out those who aren't committed and provides the best lessons to those willing to put in the work and deal with multiple setbacks.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Riiseli
Unregistered User

Quote:
Unfortunately, the military isn't the best place to find people who see the bigger picture sometimes and could have understood the good PR that having an Army officer moving on to a potential NHL career could have generated not only for the service but the West Point athletic program.
This is what I never really got either. With the money US Army uses for advertising you'd think they might have seen the PR value in letting McKelvie pursue a pro career. I can easily picture a Hockey's Finest spot featuring one of Army's Finest turned into a hockey player.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

I can tell you that this wasn't an "Army" decision but one made by an individual with the power to stop his move to pro hockey in its tracks.

Not the one I would have made, but McKelvie and the Bruins have to live with it.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Riiseli
Unregistered User

Quote:
I can tell you that this wasn't an "Army" decision but one made by an individual with the power to stop his move to pro hockey in its tracks.
In my post above: they = any one individual or a group of people, who had final say in this situation and should be making this type of a decision with Army's best interests in mind.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
HockeyKrishna43

Quote:

Not the one I would have made, but McKelvie and the Bruins have to live with it.
It's just another short-sighted decision. Why do the military academies have sports teams? There are plenty of ways for their students to learn leadership skills in other activities that are closer to their eventual missions. It was started back with the Army football team in order to get free publicity for the academies and recruiting. Good academy sports teams give free recruiting publicity to the services on national TV. In order to be good, they need players with pro aspirations, and they won't get those unless they allow their players to go pro when they have a real shot. Basically these players spend 4 years on active duty promoting the services, and they should be rewarded for that. Instead the services are hurting their publicity machine at a time when a recruiter's job is so hard that they're shooting themselves in the head on a regular basis. Just a really bad idea.

HockeyKrishna43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKrishna43 View Post
It's just another short-sighted decision. Why do the military academies have sports teams? There are plenty of ways for their students to learn leadership skills in other activities that are closer to their eventual missions. It was started back with the Army football team in order to get free publicity for the academies and recruiting. Good academy sports teams give free recruiting publicity to the services on national TV. In order to be good, they need players with pro aspirations, and they won't get those unless they allow their players to go pro when they have a real shot. Basically these players spend 4 years on active duty promoting the services, and they should be rewarded for that. Instead the services are hurting their publicity machine at a time when a recruiter's job is so hard that they're shooting themselves in the head on a regular basis. Just a really bad idea.
You're preaching to the choir. But it is what it is.

And, I just wanted to point out that that's a really bad choice of words on your part. I know what you're trying to say, but with the suicide rate in the Army at an all-time high (even among recruiters), maybe a little more sensitivity next time, hmmm?

Old
10-26-2010, 02:00 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKrishna43 View Post
Sports is a good way to relieve stress and add some fun into one's lifestyle. If all I did was ROTC and study, I don't think I'd last very long haha... sure ROTC is different than the all out military academy, but it's still something.

@Kirk- NEHJ:
also, West point only is 5 years? Lucky them, I have 8. Then again, I am under contract and oath, with a full scholarship and monthly stipend, free books etc...

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote