HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra Wants Rangers (Report: Headed to KHL)

Old
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
So now your entire post history is required reading in order to understand your meaning? My bad. You said that signing Demitra for cheap would leave us room for Kovy. Not my fault you weren't clear.

Lol, you call other people stupid, then you post this. Do you think Kovy will take less if we sign Demitra? And where is all this cap space coming from to sign both of these players?
Once again you miss my point. Forget the numbers for a second. What I am saying is the only way I MYSELF accept Kovalchuk is if we can fill other voids as well. Now what does that tell you? It's nearly impossible correct? Which would put me against wanting Kovalchuk. I rather address the needs of the team than throw the bank at Kovalchuk. If by any way, by any chance it's possible to adress some of these needs while still getting Kovy then that's the only way I accept him to broadway. What's so ahrd to comprehend about what I'm saying ....

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Theres a difference JS10. Gaborik is 28 - Demitra is 35. He is also 3 times more dynamic than Demitra at this stage.

Throw in Prospal at 35 and there is enough age and injury proneness to fill a 10 page medical chart. You are looking for trouble relying on a 1st line like that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:23 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Big mistake if so. No matter the money.

I understand that you "don't want to get caught with your pants down" if some of these young guys can't make the jump. You don't exactly want to force them. However, I think it's safe to say that 1 or 2 of them will definitely make it. And I have a hard time believing they're pushing Redden out the door, who could take a spot if a kid can't make it.

Right now you're looking at:

Prospal Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Drury Callahan
Avery Anisimov MZA/Prust
Byers/Prust Boyle Boogard

Staal-G
Rozsival-McD/MDZ
MDZ-MCD/Eminger

Etc. You get the point. The spots are basically filled as it is. Not to mention: Weise, Grachev, Sauer, Valentenko, or the surprise training camp player who makes a strong push (happens every year).

Do we really need Demitra? It's not worth it.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Big mistake if so. No matter the money.

I understand that you "don't want to get caught with your pants down" if some of these young guys can't make the jump. You don't exactly want to force them. However, I think it's safe to say that 1 or 2 of them will definitely make it. And I have a hard time believing they're pushing Redden out the door, who could take a spot if a kid can't make it.

Right now you're looking at:

Prospal Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Drury Callahan
Avery Anisimov MZA/Prust
Byers/Prust Boyle Boogard

Staal-G
Rozsival-McD/MDZ
MDZ-MCD/Eminger

Etc. You get the point. The spots are basically filled as it is. Not to mention: Weise, Grachev, Sauer, Valentenko, or the surprise training camp player who makes a strong push (happens every year).

Do we really need Demitra? It's not worth it.
Agree with you but don't forget about Matts Zuccarello Aasen on the top 3 lines... Prust will move to 4th.... AA will probably center 2nd line over Captain Crabby....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Once again you miss my point. Forget the numbers for a second. What I am saying is the only way I MYSELF accept Kovalchuk is if we can fill other voids as well. Now what does that tell you? It's nearly impossible correct? Which would put me against wanting Kovalchuk. I rather address the needs of the team than throw the bank at Kovalchuk. If by any way, by any chance it's possible to adress some of these needs while still getting Kovy then that's the only way I accept him to broadway. What's so ahrd to comprehend about what I'm saying ....
If that's what you meant, it wasn't clear in the original post.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Vitto79

So are the Rangers maybe waiting to see if they can Brashear off the books?..............are there any salary dump options out there?

if hes off the books Demitra likely signs

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The whole of a 50 goal scorer is a lot harder to fill than any other need the Rangers have.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
The whole of a 50 goal scorer is a lot harder to fill than any other need the Rangers have.
Not every good team has a 50 goal scorer. And did everyone suddenly forget we have Gaborik? He was just 8 goals short of 50

Rangers need a center who can play with Gaborik on a steady basis. I think Stepan can be that player in the future, but they need one right now.

Actually, I don't think our top 6 will be that bad. If we can find that center, even only temporarily, I think everything else will fall into place.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Agree with you but don't forget about Matts Zuccarello Aasen on the top 3 lines... Prust will move to 4th.... AA will probably center 2nd line over Captain Crabby....
Probably. Was really just placing the players down into a foreseeable lineup.

Old
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
pld459666

No marginal player like Demitra gets a 2 year deal at 35+ years old.

And if they don't want to sign here then so be it.

We are cap-stuck as it is, no need to further the problem by having some d-bag like Demitra getting hurt or retire on us leaving us with deal cap space for the 2011-2012 season

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No marginal player like Demitra gets a 2 year deal at 35+ years old.

And if they don't want to sign here then so be it.

We are cap-stuck as it is, no need to further the problem by having some d-bag like Demitra getting hurt or retire on us leaving us with deal cap space for the 2011-2012 season
Much better.

Old
07-15-2010, 07:47 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Rangers need a center who can play with Gaborik on a steady basis ... they need one right now.
Why? This team is going nowhere with or without Pavol Demitra.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Why? This team is going nowhere with or without Pavol Demitra.
I refuse to ever throw in the towel. They have young talent and the goal should always be too win. Yea this yr is likely a transition year as the kids need time to develop but siginng Demitra makes Gaborik happy and improves depth

I am on the we need a C bandwaggon and I am fine with a one year stop gap of Demitra until they can sign a UFA like Richards next yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Chief

If Demitra were on the Rangers he'd be 4th on the depth chart at center - 5th if you count Dubinsky as a center.

Stay away!

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:07 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I refuse to ever throw in the towel.
"Throwing in the towel" is certainly one way to characterize it.

"Analyzing the team objectively" is another.

Quote:
Demitra makes Gaborik happy
Honestly, I can't be troubled with Marion Gaborik's happiness quotient.

Quote:
I am on the we need a C bandwaggon
We have four centermen, so we don't need one. You're on the "I-want-someone-better-than-Erik-Christensen" bandwagon.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
If Demitra were on the Rangers he'd be 4th on the depth chart at center - 5th if you count Dubinsky as a center.

Stay away!
Based off of what? He's much better than Christensen. He's as good or better than Drury. He's better than Anisimov right now. Who's better than him on our team?

It's funny to see how many people are against the guy no matter what. He's a great get on a one year deal.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Based off of what? He's much better than Christensen. He's as good or better than Drury. He's better than Anisimov right now. Who's better than him on our team?

It's funny to see how many people are against the guy no matter what. He's a great get on a one year deal.
But what's the upside?

07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But what's the upside?
Probably 20+ goals. On a team that couldn't find the net if it was 20 feet wide, that's huge.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I was just going to ask him the same thing. This team is going to stink either way.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Probably 20+ goals. On a team that couldn't find the net if it was 20 feet wide, that's huge.
I'm asking more what's the upside for the team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Huge amount of negativity going on.

Its awfully egocentric to assume that because you don't think our lineup this year is a "competing lineup", that we are going to suck one way or the other.

That said, I don't think this team needs Demitra. If we had dumped Christensen i'd understand but now it seems relatively redundant.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Just another band-aid.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
I think 20 goals last year would've put us in the playoffs. Since I don't think we're going to suck badly enough to get a real high pick, I'd love to see us get in the playoffs even if we just squeeze in.

But I don't think we're going to sign him anyway when we've got to focus on getting the Staal deal done.

I'd like the one year deal but I can't see it going down.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Huge amount of negativity going on.

Its awfully egocentric to assume that because you don't think our lineup this year is a "competing lineup", that we are going to suck one way or the other.
It's egocentric to look at the roster and think it might be the worst in division?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
It's egocentric to look at the roster and think it might be the worst in division?
Well, no, thats just a poorly formulated opinion, unless you are predicting a huge breakout year from teh Isles which IMO is still 1-2 seasons away.

I remember in 05-06 on the old rangers board most fans were gearing up for a "20 win season"

In 07-08 a ton of fans thought we were surefire stanley cup competitors.

In reality usually the truth falls somewhere between the extremes. In this case, I think too many fans assume that our roster will nto compete because it doesn't have a ton of star power, but they are overlooking two very important factors in performance;

Team Chemistry and Team Morale

Prospal's resigning was good for both, and it looks to be the scheme of this season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote