HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra Wants Rangers (Report: Headed to KHL)

Old
07-12-2010, 02:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
it may be a rumor but the fact remains....

hes still unsigned.

hes healthy

he has a relationship with gaborik

hes a centerman

he can play the pp point

hes affordable ala vaclav prospal

should we not invite him to camp ? arent we the team that invited petr nedved to camp a few years back ? what can it hurt if he plays well enough to earn a 1 year deal between 1 and 2 million.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
As opposed to a move gone unmade to be bad...

It's a DISGRACE to have EC centering your 8mm superstar. It's like putting 14's on a Ferrari.

We are paying 1.65 per to Boogard. You're telling me you won't pay 1.5 for a talented Center for Gabs?

This move makes the team better, so it should be made. AA isn't the answer to center Gaborik. I really don't see the issue, here.
Demitra is old, injury prone and past his prime. We really have enough mediocre type players. If this team is as bad as many on here believe, why bother? So we can pick 12th instead of 8 or so?

And to say Anisimov can't be the answer to center Gaborik is pretty unfair. The kid played really well in a lot of important games down the stretch last year, putting up 2 goals, 5 assists in 10 games with players whose names should not be mentioned in a sentence with Marian Gaborik. Anisimov could easily thrive with Gaborik on the top line.

Honestly, I would rather throw Anisimov on the top line line than sign another old, broken down player that is past his prime. If the whole idea is to play the kids, why not give Anisimov every chance he can to have a break out year?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
it may be a rumor but the fact remains....

hes still unsigned.

hes healthy

he has a relationship with gaborik

hes a centerman

he can play the pp point

hes affordable ala vaclav prospal

should we not invite him to camp ? arent we the team that invited petr nedved to camp a few years back ? what can it hurt if he plays well enough to earn a 1 year deal between 1 and 2 million.
I'm 100% with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
1) I'll take bad over mediocre.

2) I wasn't and am not in favor of what they gave Boogaard.

The issue is this is a move a with little to no upside.
Ok, well, I understand where you're coming from (we've all suffered through the mediocrity), however he's going to be cheap. Gaborik deserves to have a talented center on his line, and if its someone that he has rapport/chemistry with, I say go for it!

Call me crazy, but I think the move could be extremely successful, in terms of ROI. I also think it's fair to mention that I'm not a huge proponent of AA or EC, and that I've enjoyed watching Demitra throughout his career.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
It's a placeholder move until the kids are ready to come up.
What about the Christensen placeholder? The Prospal placeholder? I mean, how many placeholders does this team need? How many centers this team need!?!?

If "the kid's" aren't ready? I'd say Anisimov is "ready" to stop screwing around with a goon and a checker and take on a meaningful role for the Rangers. It's not going to happen with a 35 year old reclamation project above him on the depth chart, period.

You wanna make a case for Demitra INSTEAD OF Christensen. Ok, I'm listening. The ink is dry in EC's contract, the choice has been made, it's over.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Barnaby

We need some player's who can score... Demitra is adequate. One year deal, and hopefully Grachev and Stepan can come in next year. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect these guys to contribute now before they have had a chance to succeed in the AHL.

Demitra or someone similar is exactly what we need.... rather then over-extend a large contract which can hurt the team in the future... you know exactly what I mean - Captain Clutch, and Wade. Build the young core then use the cap space to add that top d-man or scoring center.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What about the Christensen placeholder? The Prospal placeholder? I mean, how many placeholders does this team need? How many centers this team need!?!?

If "the kid's" aren't ready? I'd say Anisimov is "ready" to stop screwing around with a goon and a checker and take on a meaningful role for the Rangers. It's not going to happen with a 35 year old reclamation project above him on the depth chart, period.

You wanna make a case for Demitra INSTEAD OF Christensen. Ok, I'm listening. The ink is dry in EC's contract, the choice has been made, it's over.
He's not a must-have, but I can't see how he's not an asset on a 1 year deal. If we are that bad, then he could always be moved at the deadline for a decent pick to a contender... nothing wrong with depth..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

1 year away
grachev
stepan
kreider

2 yrs away
werek
hagelin
bourque

3 yrs away
horak
thomas
yogan

realistically, what we need is affordable contracts of 1-2 years to bridge us from now to our future.

ec
prospal
demitra ?

Old
07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
A decade later and we're still getting stop gaps.
Detroit have done just fine with a bunch of stopgaps year after year.

Focus on what you have, make a evaluation. Whats the point in giving a kid who isn't showing it a chance? Whats the odds of one of them all of a sudden becoming valuble? Give a kid a chance, a real chance instead.

Play like one of our kids with most of the players we have on this team and he don't get much of a chance. Look at that Giroux kid and the Leino's kid in Philly, two guys who grew because they got to play in a good environment. No way jose they even have 3% of the buzz they have right now if their season would have ended in march on some team. Hell, Leino probably could be headed to the KHL as we speak unless he got that opp.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Detroit have done just fine with a bunch of stopgaps year after year.
You're not really comparing the Rangers to the Red Wings are you? Their stop gaps aren't at the skill positions. And their top four scorers were all drafted by them.

Quote:
Focus on what you have, make a evaluation. Whats the point in giving a kid who isn't showing it a chance? Whats the odds of one of them all of a sudden becoming valuble? Give a kid a chance, a real chance instead.
A real chance is playing them with players who give them the best chance to be successful. AA is skilled player — he wouldn't benefit from playing with the teams top offensive player?

Quote:
Play like one of our kids with most of the players we have on this team and he don't get much of a chance. Look at that Giroux kid and the Leino's kid in Philly, two guys who grew because they got to play in a good environment. No way jose they even have 3% of the buzz they have right now if their season would have ended in march on some team. Hell, Leino probably could be headed to the KHL as we speak unless he got that opp.
I don't know what you're trying to say here.

07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
1 year away
grachev
stepan
kreider

2 yrs away
werek
hagelin
bourque

3 yrs away
horak
thomas
yogan

realistically, what we need is affordable contracts of 1-2 years to bridge us from now to our future.

ec
prospal
demitra ?
If the kids are not ready yet as you say - and you may well be right, ODC - what's the point of playing guys who are good enough to get us to the 9th spot in the conference? Either play the kids and suffer or succeed with them or, if you truly feel they're overwhelmed, grab the Erik Christensens of the world off the scrapheap to get through the year and get yourself a #1 overall pick.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
We need some player's who can score... Demitra is adequate. One year deal, and hopefully Grachev and Stepan can come in next year. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect these guys to contribute now before they have had a chance to succeed in the AHL.

Demitra or someone similar is exactly what we need.... rather then over-extend a large contract which can hurt the team in the future... you know exactly what I mean - Captain Clutch, and Wade. Build the young core then use the cap space to add that top d-man or scoring center.
What does Demitra add to this team on a 1 year deal.... A chance to limp into the playoffs??? The guy has no future with the team so I don't see any point in bringing him in just because he's a former teammate of Gaborik.... The guy played 28 games last year and was on a pace to score a whopping 9 goals had he played all 82....

Rangers should be avoiding this 'opportunity' like the plague... We already have Vinny Prospal playing this stop-gap role... No need for 2 guys to do this....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If we need anything in free agency it is a 2nd line RW...
Did I miss a tweet where we signed a top line center?

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What does Demitra add to this team on a 1 year deal.... A chance to limp into the playoffs??? The guy has no future with the team so I don't see any point in bringing him in just because he's a former teammate of Gaborik.... The guy played 28 games last year and was on a pace to score a whopping 9 goals had he played all 82....

Rangers should be avoiding this 'opportunity' like the plague... We already have Vinny Prospal playing this stop-gap role... No need for 2 guys to do this....
Good point, adding a player with talent on the cheap is a ridiculous notion. Let's keep EC as our first line center. He's really good.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Did I miss a tweet where we signed a top line center?
No, you missed an entire free agency period with no top line centers.

Did you complain about Nylander too? Gomez and Drury are what happen when you try to replace chemistry with hfboards hype.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
ecemleafs

wasnt demitra a LW when he was in his prime in St Louis?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
alkurtz

Washed up, done, over-the-hill, a shell of his old self, etc. etc. etc.

I can't believe that we'd even consider signing this guy. Would be a waste of every single cent he would be given.

Though I don't think for a second that EC can do the job as a #1 center, at this stage of their respective careers EC will outperform and outscore Demitra every which way from Sunday.

Pass, PASS, PASS

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If the kids are not ready yet as you say - and you may well be right, ODC - what's the point of playing guys who are good enough to get us to the 9th spot in the conference? Either play the kids and suffer or succeed with them or, if you truly feel they're overwhelmed, grab the Erik Christensens of the world off the scrapheap to get through the year and get yourself a #1 overall pick.
you are either ready or your not. was gilroy ready ?

in many ways, ec and demitra and prospal are players that will allow our kids to play yet not leave them alone to suffer without leadership and direction.

if you push these kids too fast, you run the risk of losing them. playing the kids and getting them experience sounds good, in reality, its not always the right call.

these kids are investments and some investments take more time to mature and rushing things is often counterproductive to your longterm goals.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Anisimov is more than talented enough to center Gaborik, so why not give him a chance? I certainly would over Demitra.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Anisimov is more than talented enough to center Gaborik, so why not give him a chance? I certainly would over Demitra.
if Anisimov doesn't start playing with his head up, he's going to have a very short career. It was scary how many times he was caught with his head down. The kid needs to fill out as well, and get some strength.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Good point, adding a player with talent on the cheap is a ridiculous notion. Let's keep EC as our first line center. He's really good.
Why do we need him? He's 35 years old.. What is he providing for this organization beyond one season? NOTHING.... All he does is take up a spot on the top 3 lines and bounce somebody to the 4th who doesn't belong there... Vinny Prospal is our mercenary, our stop-gap player to provide depth on a short-term basis on an inexpensive contract... Why oh why can we not say no to a 35 year old Demitra?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Yeah and Petr Prucha was going to end up dead if he didn't start avoiding hits... Anisimov does need to keep his head up for sure but since he hasn't suffered a concussion yet I am going to file it under not an issue as long as he resolves it this season. I am sure he will work on his strength this off season. None the less he's still a better option than Demitra.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I am a Ranger

Quote:

Great point. The Rangers dont need to look for players for 1 year deals. they need to form their team together and get players that are going to stay for many years. I dont think Demitra is good for the Rangers.

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Why do we need him? He's 35 years old.. What is he providing for this organization beyond one season? NOTHING.... All he does is take up a spot on the top 3 lines and bounce somebody to the 4th who doesn't belong there... Vinny Prospal is our mercenary, our stop-gap player to provide depth on a short-term basis on an inexpensive contract... Why oh why can we not say no to a 35 year old Demitra?
The whole "stop-gap" thing needs to stop. It's a trendy term now being thrown around. The Rangers are a PRODUCT, as the NHL is a BUSINESS. Our PRODUCT was TERRIBLE last year, as we score no GOALS. Adding Demitra would add to the quality of the PRODUCT.

We need to be as competitive as possible, and Cablevision/MSG needs the Rangers to be a playoff team. A Rangers team with Demitra improves the chances for playoff revenue this season.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp, is it? Those of you who want us to play all the kids, even though they aren't very good, or ready, and just kind of "waste" the season away until the other guys are ready should really get your heads out of the clouds and realize that this is a BUSINESS.

AA isn't as good as Demitra is, or will he ever be in my opinion. He is cheap, talented, and has chemistry/rapport with Gaborik. It's not a bad thing, people.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
The whole "stop-gap" thing needs to stop. It's a trendy term now being thrown around. The Rangers are a PRODUCT, as the NHL is a BUSINESS. Our PRODUCT was TERRIBLE last year, as we score no GOALS. Adding Demitra would add to the quality of the PRODUCT.

We need to be as competitive as possible, and Cablevision/MSG needs the Rangers to be a playoff team. A Rangers team with Demitra improves the chances for playoff revenue this season.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp, is it? Those of you who want us to play all the kids, even though they aren't very good, or ready, and just kind of "waste" the season away until the other guys are ready should really get your heads out of the clouds and realize that this is a BUSINESS.

AA isn't as good as Demitra is, or will he ever be in my opinion. He is cheap, talented, and has chemistry/rapport with Gaborik. It's not a bad thing, people.
Good grief, do you work for Cablevision?

What kind of logic is this? You root for "product" - you WANT stop gaps? You want a couple of extra victories and maybe a first round exit? For the next how many years?

I was a fan for 10+ years before the Cup in '94 and I've been a fan for 16 since. I'm not looking forward to another quarter century of meidocrity just so you can see "product".

Besides, personally I'd find watching overmatched young kids lose while they learn much more entertaining than watching 35+ year olds on one year contracts scrape out a couple of extra wins towards a ninth place finish.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
wasnt demitra a LW when he was in his prime in St Louis?
no, he was RW on the famed Slovakian line of Bartecko-Hadzus-Demitra. He would later play with Pierre Turgeron and then with Tkachuk-Weight-Demitra.

Last edited by n8: 07-12-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote