HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra Wants Rangers (Report: Headed to KHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2010, 07:47 PM
  #201
we want cup
Ants in the Pants
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 11,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of you have a bird brain. How one can totally miss what I'm saying is quite funny. I repeated numerous times that this team has depth issues and just Kovalchuk would do nothing. Which is why I mentioned signing Demitra for very little $$, and using the rest for Kovalchuk. It's the only way I'd be ok w/ Kovalchuk coming to the Rangers. Demitra would be the superior center on the team; filling the void much better than Christensen.

Otherwise, if it's just going to be Kovalchuk who you're going to throw the bank at...you block the team from addressing other needs. You will continously see Christensen playing out of position as the 1st line center, Callahan seeing top 6 minutes, aging and inconsistent veteran in prospal as a go-to center, and rookies forced into the line-up b/c of cap issues. Being thick skulled is a bad habit. Let the brain evolve a little.
What about the 40 games Demitra would miss with injuries?

And did you miss the entire schpiel about not being able to sign Kovy at all?

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
  #202
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
What about the 40 games Demitra would miss with injuries?

And did you miss the entire schpiel about not being able to sign Kovy at all?
He's not signing to be your franchise centermen. He's not signing for a 10 million dollar contract.

I think everyone knows the Kovy situation. Appreciate your concern though. I've made myself loud and clear how I prefer a different route than Kovalchuk. Just attempt to read a little. It'll do wonders.

One other note. Not sure who watched or didn't watch the Olympics, but Demitra lead all forwards w/ 10 points in the torunament. Yes it's a short torunament, yes he's surrounded by better players...but the fact remians he lead every forward in the olympics w/ 10 points. He stood out every game. I'm not big on signing him, however he's a better option if it means Christensen is the guy.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:57 AM
  #203
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Any one is better than Christensen-however how does Demitra help this club. His best days are 3 yrs ago. Kovy will not become a NYR and Demitra will only be a buddy for Gaborik. Why waste $ to get us closer to a PO position(and I say that facetiously) when it is obvious that this roster has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Take a top 10 pick again this year and draft for the future.There is no path through FA that will get you the cup-Slats has already proved that point for 10 years now.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:15 AM
  #204
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
We wouldn't have the money to sign Kovalchuk even if we didn't still have to re-sign Staal...I don't understand how we're fitting Demitra on any contract AND Kovalchuk

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
  #205
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,522
vCash: 500
newyorkrangersblog is stating a slovakian website is saying Rangers asked Gabby about Demitra

its likely going to happen if Demitra take a low salary with bonuses

i know it takes a spot from a kid but I think it could help the team on the cheap so I am for it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:49 AM
  #206
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

This is the translation of the article, thanks to google.

I'd say it is a good move to get Demitra on the team cause, one of these kids might not be ready. It is also inevitable that he gets hurt as well, and it gives one of our younger players time to play in the AHL, see what he has there, and get used to playing against pros.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:58 AM
  #207
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I'm pretty sure we can just about start penciling him in.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
  #208
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I'm pretty sure we can just about start penciling him in.
i like him for 1 year @ 1.5

he would make this team better this season for sure.

sign him and let our excellent staff keep him healthy.

lets just hope torts the clown doesnt play him 20 min a night

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
  #209
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
newyorkrangersblog is stating a slovakian website is saying Rangers asked Gabby about Demitra

its likely going to happen if Demitra take a low salary with bonuses

i know it takes a spot from a kid but I think it could help the team on the cheap so I am for it
Does this work with Staal getting 4.5?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:27 AM
  #210
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Does this work with Staal getting 4.5?
During the summer it works, but the Rangers would need to move some people around to make it work for the regular season.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
  #211
cancer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Örebro
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
yeah demitra is good player and 2year 4.0M

cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:30 AM
  #212
cancer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Örebro
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Staal getting 4M thats for surre

cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
  #213
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,699
vCash: 500
Don't do a 2 year deal with Demitra...

The Rangers have a little over $6 mill in cap space right now for the summer, not including the 10% overage. But that is taking out all of the players with 2 way contracts, including guys who are very likely to be playing next year (like Del Zotto)

That does include Rissmiller though.

Adding some of those guys in (Del Zotto, MZA, Anisimov) and taking out Rissmiller because we know he'll get banished as soon as possible, and you're looking at about $4.4 mill in cap space with Staal needing to be signed. That doesn't include McDonagh either. Not sure how rookie bonuses work and if they can be pushed onto next years roster, but the Rangers do have about $2 mill in bonuses that might be able to be messed around with.

At any rate, there could be a couple of million here and there that could be freed up by sending some guys down (Gilroy, Eminger, maybe MZA doesn't make the team out of camp) but realistically, if they wanted to sign Demitra and re-sign Staal, they probably need to move some salary one way or another

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
  #214
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,059
vCash: 500
Yeah, this better be a one year deal. Im not going to say its a bad signing, if the terms are good, but at the same time,

I believe Slats promised MZA a roster spot. That makes this difficult.

Unless Demitra plays the left side, this potentially makes Christensen a spare part which has me asking, why sign him in the first place?

Weise and Grachev are highly unlikely to get a real shot now.

Demitra-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Prospal-MZA
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Prust-Drury-Boogaard

I dunno, I have no idea what Slats has planned, but I suppose this qualifies as the "other moves we'd like to make"

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  #215
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,059
vCash: 500
Plus hopefully it gets people to stop harping on the whole #1 center garbage.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
  #216
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Does this work with Staal getting 4.5?
yea they would make it work. Gilroy makes 1.7 so he could always come up and down with Mcd making it to start instead and Redden still on the team

Staal, Girardi, Rozy, DZ, McD, Redden, Eminger

Then if they can get Huggy bear off the books to the KHL or whatever then it clears pretty much all they should need cause I would expect him to get about that much

It doesnt hurt to have a guy like Weise come up and down all year. Depth chart would be

Dubinsky, Demitra, Gaborik
Prospal, Anisimov, Zuccarello
Avery, Drury, Callahan
Boogaard, Christiensen, Prust
Boyle

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
  #217
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I sometimes wonder if some of you have a bird brain. How one can totally miss what I'm saying is quite funny. I repeated numerous times that this team has depth issues and just Kovalchuk would do nothing. Which is why I mentioned signing Demitra for very little $$, and using the rest for Kovalchuk. It's the only way I'd be ok w/ Kovalchuk coming to the Rangers. Demitra would be the superior center on the team; filling the void much better than Christensen.
So now your entire post history is required reading in order to understand your meaning? My bad. You said that signing Demitra for cheap would leave us room for Kovy. Not my fault you weren't clear.

Quote:
Otherwise, if it's just going to be Kovalchuk who you're going to throw the bank at...you block the team from addressing other needs. You will continously see Christensen playing out of position as the 1st line center, Callahan seeing top 6 minutes, aging and inconsistent veteran in prospal as a go-to center, and rookies forced into the line-up b/c of cap issues. Being thick skulled is a bad habit. Let the brain evolve a little.
Lol, you call other people stupid, then you post this. Do you think Kovy will take less if we sign Demitra? And where is all this cap space coming from to sign both of these players?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
  #218
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

This is the translation of the article, thanks to google.
Thx for this. I love google translate, it sounds like Steve Martin and Dan A were doing the interview as two hockey obsessed wild and crazy guys.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
  #219
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,059
vCash: 500
Now if we trade for Hossa we'll be good to go.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:00 PM
  #220
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Don't do a 2 year deal with Demitra...

The Rangers have a little over $6 mill in cap space right now for the summer, not including the 10% overage. But that is taking out all of the players with 2 way contracts, including guys who are very likely to be playing next year (like Del Zotto)

That does include Rissmiller though.

Adding some of those guys in (Del Zotto, MZA, Anisimov) and taking out Rissmiller because we know he'll get banished as soon as possible, and you're looking at about $4.4 mill in cap space with Staal needing to be signed. That doesn't include McDonagh either. Not sure how rookie bonuses work and if they can be pushed onto next years roster, but the Rangers do have about $2 mill in bonuses that might be able to be messed around with.

At any rate, there could be a couple of million here and there that could be freed up by sending some guys down (Gilroy, Eminger, maybe MZA doesn't make the team out of camp) but realistically, if they wanted to sign Demitra and re-sign Staal, they probably need to move some salary one way or another
Good post as usual Levitate. And boy, do the Rangers have a weird way of getting younger which was Torts' mantra. Guess Sather either disagrees with his HC or is paying him little attention.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
  #221
Salz
Registered User
 
Salz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
No to Demitra. You're lucky if he plays 65 games for you and even if he does he'll chip in only 50 points. Takes away a roster spot from a kid. I wouldn't despise the move if we only give him a year but I'm not enthusiastic about it.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM
  #222
js10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Put Prospal, Demitra and Gaborik on one line and, voila, you have just created one of most producing lines in NHL

PS: people were complaining about Gaborik coming to NY because of injuries and he ended up holding this team afloat. give a chance to Demitra too

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
  #223
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
If we sign Demitra I might as well become a Phoenix fan.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
  #224
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
Put Prospal, Demitra and Gaborik on one line and, voila, you have just created one of most producing lines in NHL

PS: people were complaining about Gaborik coming to NY because of injuries and he ended up holding this team afloat. give a chance to Demitra too
Demitra in the prime of his career and top 10 forward in the league when healthy? No and No.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
  #225
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Good post as usual Levitate. And boy, do the Rangers have a weird way of getting younger which was Torts' mantra. Guess Sather either disagrees with his HC or is paying him little attention.
I think it's just gathering depth. A lot of the young forwards who might make the team are not locks by any stretch of the imagination. If they're not ready, you don't want to get caught with your pants down and have to play guys who should be developing somewhere else.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.