HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devil's Prospect Camp 2010

Old
07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Buggsy

vCash: 500
Devil's Prospect Camp 2010

Figured since I have read posts about the prospect camp in the prospects thread, the kovy thread and the free agent thread, that maybe we need a thread designated for it.

Seems like Lou and Co. are looking very intently at a few spots being filled up by young players. Looking forward to the scrimmages.

Buggsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Missionhockey

I hope Brandon Burlon sticks out of the pack. He's the type of player that could really help if the Devils think he's ready but he had an off year at Michigan last season.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Buggsy

Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson and Urbom all sounded hopeful of making the NHL team in September and seemed to think they are ready.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 07/12 at 01:08 PM

Should make for some good competition.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Corrente is another one who should have some confidence in his ability to make the team. He's been toiling on the farm for a while, and he's certainly NHL ready.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson and Urbom all sounded hopeful of making the NHL team in September and seemed to think they are ready.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 07/12 at 01:08 PM

Should make for some good competition.
Once you go Swede you never go Back-strom.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Corrente is another one who should have some confidence in his ability to make the team. He's been toiling on the farm for a while, and he's certainly NHL ready.
I don't know about that, we haven't seen him much on defense. We can't say for sure that he is definately NHL ready.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

It is very exciting to hear that Lou thinks this is the best group of defensive prospects we've had in a while. Even more exciting (and also a little surprising) is that Lou thinks several of them will make the NHL within the next few years.

Of course, whether they make it with the Devils or not remains to be seen, but it is encouraging that "our cup runneth over" with quality defencemen prospects when that has been an area of weakness for years.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

He didn't say in a while, he said "ever".

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey View Post
I don't know about that, we haven't seen him much on defense. We can't say for sure that he is definately NHL ready.
I think he is. He played fine on defence during his stint in the beginning of last season when Martin and Oduya were injured at the same time. He brought some physicality, was solid positionally, and I remember thinking that his breakout pass was better than I expected it would be when I saw him live for the first time at an away game in Boston. Even though Lemaire's idea of playing him at forward was nonsensical, it got him more valuable NHL experience, and he was certainly one of our better bottom 6 players in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
You're right. Even better.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
They clearly had a specific plan and type of defenceman they wanted to be drafting. It could pan out very well.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Captain Zach

Gulitti will put up quotes from Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique and Urbom soon and they all sounded hopeful and ready to make the team. Can't wait to see some of these young guys in the future

Captain Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:22 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I think Gelinas is going to turn into a monster.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
I think Gelinas is going to turn into a monster.
I really hope we can see a defense of Gelinas, Merrill, and Urbom on our blueline one day. Huge bodies with huge potential.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Well, if Corrente is ready defensively, I think he has some offensive abilities. Watching him play wing, he showed me that he's a pretty good skater and does have some finess. I hope he does make it because we can use some of his youthful exuberance on the back-line.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zach View Post
Gulitti will put up quotes from Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique and Urbom soon and they all sounded hopeful and ready to make the team. Can't wait to see some of these young guys in the future
I can see Henrique one day, if not centering a line, instead playing wing with the ZZ boys.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
I really hope we can see a defense of Gelinas, Merrill, and Urbom on our blueline one day. Huge bodies with huge potential.
That's my dream. If all three guys turn out their potential we could have the best defense in the NHL.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I would love to see that. All are big, mobile defencemen with physicality and offensive skill. Hopefully we can develop them properly to reach their full potential.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
That's my dream. If all three guys turn out their potential we could have the best defense in the NHL.
Dream might have to wait a little. Gelinas and Merril both look like projects, but also projects that are worth waiting for.
Quote:
I would love to see that. All are big, mobile defencemen with physicality and offensive skill. Hopefully we can develop them properly to reach their full potential.
I have a feeling that this year will be a breakout year for Gelinas, while Merril stays fairly quiet. Don't know why, just a feeling, but hopefully Gelinas gets it going because he could be a monster player for us one day.

Urbom has the best shot at making the team on defense this year, just like Josefson has the best chance out of the forwards. Tallinder was definitely brought in for a reason: Urbom.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Dream might have to wait a little. Gelinas and Merril both look like projects, but also projects that are worth waiting for.

I have a feeling that this year will be a breakout year for Gelinas, while Merril stays fairly quiet. Don't know why, just a feeling, but hopefully Gelinas gets it going because he could be a monster player for us one day.
Merrill was expected to go in the middle of the 1st round, apparently he fell because he didn't interview well. His skill set is definitely way above his draft position.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Merrill is only a project in terms of his maturity level, which is what caused him to slip in the draft. Otherwise, he has shown surprising polish in his on-ice game. He is universally lauded for his hockey sense and smart approach to the game. He doesn't have to fill out his frame like Gelinas does, he doesn't have temper and discipline issues like Corrente did, and he isn't a recently converted forward like Eckford.

And just because Tallinder was brought in to mentor Urbom and the other Swedes, doesn't mean Urbom is a lock to make the team this year. I do think it makes it more likely he will, but we have to remember that we never rush prospects. Tallinder has 3 more years after this one to mentor Urbom.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
They clearly had a specific plan and type of defenceman they wanted to be drafting. It could pan out very well.
Yeah, why have one big guy and one mobile guy when you can have two big, mobile guys!!!

I've said it before, but I thing Urbom has a great chance to make the opening night roster. I saw him play for Brandon, and he reminds me of either a more skilled version of Kjell Samuellson, or a bigger, meaner version of Tommy Albelin. His game should translate very well to the NHL. He's also played in the SEL already, which puts him ahead of the game.

Merrill and Burlon have huge potential, as well. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see Harry Young in our line-up down the road. He's basically a bigger, less insane version of Kenny Daneyko. Totally one-dimensional, but very good at that dimension.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Kelly will be a solid #6 defensive defenseman someday.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
I thought both Gelinas and Urbom where more of the big physical type, while Merrill was the one with the offensive upside?

Old
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I thought both Gelinas and Urbom where more of the big physical type, while Merrill was the one with the offensive upside?
All three have offensive upside. Gelinas may have the most offensive upside. All three guys are cut from the same cloth - big, mobile, physical, and offensively capable.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Tretyak 20

Urbom can do a little of everything. It's hard to remember the last time I saw a D with his size skate so smoothly. He handles the puck well, makes good crisp tape-to-tape passes, and has a good hard - deflectable - shot from the point, too. He may never score 15 goals, but he's no slouch offensively.

Merrill I haven't seen, but one scout said he was the best outlet passer in this year's draft by far.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote