HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's for Lunch?

Old
07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
I have been on the road for the most part during the past 6 months and have four places that I would call my favorites.

In L.A., I know it has been beaten to death but it will always be Okie Dogs. Period. If you haven't had one you wouldn't know. It was my one hang out from 78 through 81 (was there when Rick James shoved a girl in a purple mini skirt out of the back of his moving limo at 3am). Last time I saw Danny (owner) was a year or so ago but he was still there and still a great guy. Of course the main shack is long gone and only the old take out spot on Fairfax is open but it is still the best and weirdest thing you can get for $3 bucks and you wont leave hungry at all.

In Reno Nev, go to the Atlantis and belly up to the all you can eat ($15 lunch) Sushi bar. Now I have to admit that I am one of those total dbag Sushi guys (really all Japanese food. lived there for two years a long time ago and got ruined for allot of other things) and when I say that there Sushi is legitimate, it is. (in my opinion).

They will custom make whatever you want but they have a great selection of pre determined items to order. When you sit down you get your own chef who just keeps making you whatever you want as long as you want them to make it. You can even pick the cuts of fish and or ingredients if you want (typically only done in Japan).

In Salt Lake City get the Pibil or Negro Mole at the Green Iguana. Actually honest and for real Mole (the pablano is their best mole dish but I prefer the Negro).

The DP Philly shop is awesome too and I like the Bento Boxes from Love too.

The only really amazing buffet in Vegas (other than the one on top of the Belaggio) is at the Rio. It is solid but not amazing. Vegas has a couple of great places but you can find them all over the place online and pick your own based on what you like. For me it is the breakfast at Rons.

If you are ever in Leadville Colo (life at 11k) go to "the deli". They have a bunch of great things to eat but their specialty is a unique take on the traditional Ruben. It is simply great. Way better than Cantors or Sardi's but then, only Cantors would care.

In London UK go to the Ace Cafe and get a Hung Pie. Youll know why if you do.

Oh, and if you are ever in St Johns, send me an email and I will set you up with the best Poutine/Lobster sports you could ever imagine.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Oh and in Fairbanks Alaska go to Chena's Riverhaus. Get "the trapper" and plan on staying for awhile. I order it "riverman" style (all fish and shellfish but you can get it anyway you like it).

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Shellz

I think I'm going to get a tri tip sandwich today.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Not sure what today will bring. My sister and nieces are coming over to swim and my sister is bringing lunch. I know she won't steer me wrong, so it's a fun surprise.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Penne Pesto at the Daily Grill for me today.

Buffalo, NY is a great place for sub sandwiches. They have this place called Jim's Steakout that is pretty good. Buffalo is just great because there aren't a whole lot of chain restaurants (although Jim's is a local chain).

I personally hate Subway and I guess maybe it does have somethign to do with the ingredients. I've just never been a fan of it. I went and got a Chicken Parmigian sub there when I first started eating meat again (I was a non-meat eater for 10 years) and it was absolutley gross. I still ate it though! I was hungry. Haha!

MVP Grill in Long Beach (4th and Termino) is a a little hamburger stand / sandwich place and is phenomal. I love the Michael Jordan (all their sandwiches are named after athletes) which is a Cajun Pesto Chicken Sandwich. I find it offensive that the two hockey players on the menu have two of the weakest items. The Wayne Gretzky is a Tuna Sandwich and the GOrdie Howe is a friggin salad.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'm going to get In-N-Out today, Double Double, Animal Style Baby!

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I personally hate Subway and I guess maybe it does have somethign to do with the ingredients. I've just never been a fan of it. I went and got a Chicken Parmigian sub there when I first started eating meat again (I was a non-meat eater for 10 years) and it was absolutley gross. I still ate it though! I was hungry. Haha!
Ew.

I love subway, and I even would never even dream of ordering a chicken parm there... and I love chicken parm.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

I live in NYC now, culinary capital of the world, but I still haven't found a replacement for Jake's for a great tri-tip sandwich and Dewars Ice Cream. Yea, those of you Kings fans in Bakersfield know what I'm talking about. *sigh*

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
I live in NYC now, culinary capital of the world, but I still haven't found a replacement for Jake's for a great tri-tip sandwich and Dewars Ice Cream. Yea, those of you Kings fans in Bakersfield know what I'm talking about. *sigh*
Have you been to the Carnegei Deli yet? Or that place that was in "When Harry met Sally"? Supposedly both are famous sandwich joints.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Ew.

I love subway, and I even would never even dream of ordering a chicken parm there... and I love chicken parm.
Yeah it was like a microwaved chicken breast with some horrible marinara sauce. Yes bad idea.

I really love those cheesesteak places like the Great Steak and Potato company but I think they all went out of business. We do have a Phillie's Best in long beach which absolutely rules!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:58 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Have you been to the Carnegei Deli yet? Or that place that was in "When Harry met Sally"? Supposedly both are famous sandwich joints.
Yes. Massive sandwiches. You gotta get the hot pastrami. It'll take a year off your life, but well worth it.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I really love those cheesesteak places like the Great Steak and Potato company but I think they all went out of business. We do have a Phillie's Best in long beach which absolutely rules!
Pretty sure there is still the one in the Mall on Woodman/Riverside.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
ILuvLA

Went to Grunions in MB today - had their killer Philly Cheesesteak and a Guinness. If you are ever in the MB area, it's on Sepulveda, past MB Blvd on the west side of the street, non-descript building. Owner is from Philly and their cheesesteak is their staple. Did NOT want to return to work, but I did.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote