HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks match offer sheet for HJALMARSSON

Old
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Chicago Blackhawks are likely to have less than 10 guys on their opening roster who won the cup in June.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Hawks have only moved some unimportant supporting players, they have their whole core intact, and they got some great futures on their trades.

Matching Hjalmarsson was expected and the right move.

For any Huet (sinkable) and Campbell (let's say $2-3M overpaid) contract, they're also saving on the Hossa and Keith deals. Every team has it's inefficiencies and its bargains, I don't think the Hawks' net tally is in the red.

All contingent on them actually sinking Huet, then they are sailing through this with relative ease. Complacency is always a factor these days, and parity, so nobody can say the Hawks are shoo-ins to repeat. But they are well-situated to be a modern dynasty, and all these minor changes won't hurt that at all. It might even help if they can convert the futures they picked up effectively.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Cool story, bro.

Bring back out of town thread, plz,
Srslah

This is a bad move. I'd compare it to us matching Gorges' offer sheet at like 3 mil.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
This is a bad move. I'd compare it to us matching Gorges' offer sheet at like 3 mil.
I'd match Gorges' offer sheet at 3 million. Especially since that nudges under the bracket to provide just a 2nd round pick in compensation. But even if it was into the next bracket up. We gave Spacek more, and we gave Hamrlik A LOT more. I hope we can sign Gorges for a bit less than this. But I wouldn't lose him over the difference, which is less than $1M. You can't expect to get a top-4 d-man for less these days.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:24 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'd match Gorges' offer sheet at 3 million. Especially since that nudges under the bracket to provide just a 2nd round pick in compensation. But even if it was into the next bracket up. We gave Spacek more, and we gave Hamrlik A LOT more. I hope we can sign Gorges for a bit less than this. But I wouldn't lose him over the difference, which is less than $1M. You can't expect to get a top-4 d-man for less these days.
Okay maybe it wasn't the best comparison, because my heart doesn't let Gorges walk for anything under 4

How about signing Gorges at 3.5? Do we take his (now overpriced) contract, or sweet picks?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:25 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

reports say sharp could be on the move or campbell
campbell wont move cause of that contract
sharp will be easier to move.
i would have let this guy go and kept sharp

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
reports say sharp could be on the move or campbell
campbell wont move cause of that contract
sharp will be easier to move.
i would have let this guy go and kept sharp
Sharp won't move. Well, not unless the Hawks get yet another sweet trade on him that's just too good to refuse. But they're fine for the cap without moving anybody else.

Old
07-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Okay maybe it wasn't the best comparison, because my heart doesn't let Gorges walk for anything under 4

How about signing Gorges at 3.5? Do we take his (now overpriced) contract, or sweet picks?
I don't think the picks are that sweet. Teams who expect to suck aren't giving up their 1st rounder on an RFA offer sheet to Josh Gorges. Any team that is good and is signing him gets you a late round pick, which is very long odds to be a player of Gorges' calibre. Keep the bird in hand. The picks are an illusion. Artificial sweetener all the way. I keep Gorges. Like I said, a $1M overpayment is not the end of the world. But I also can't see Gorges being considered sexy enough to draw any offer sheets, so not a big worry either way.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
blueberry

What's with everyone trying to move pouliot?? We have wanted a guy like him for years ,he's young , talented big and can score goals, an early pick and you guys want to get rid of him already. Some of you guys are really too much!

blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Sharp won't move. Well, not unless the Hawks get yet another sweet trade on him that's just too good to refuse. But they're fine for the cap without moving anybody else.
According to HabsInsideOut, the Hawks, after matching, have 15 players signed and are only $113,000 below the cap. They need to sign 6 more players for $113,000 ... so they are not "fine for the cap without moving anybody else".

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11

Lebrun reports Sharp will be moved.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
According to HabsInsideOut, the Hawks, after matching, have 15 players signed and are only $113,000 below the cap. They need to sign 6 more players for $113,000 ... so they are not "fine for the cap without moving anybody else".

Man thank god for Chicago's sake that they did win the Cup...imagine if they lost in the finals and still had to dismantle that team?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Perhaps Lebrun thinks that the Hawks are morally opposed to the idea of sinking Huet, I don't know. He would know management's philosophy there better than I do. But to me, if the Hawks have that moral impediment, then that's their own choosing. They could be fine without moving anybody else if they wanted to be.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Color me surprised. I thought they were going to let him go everything considered.

But letting him go would probably have been a tough sell considering all the guys they lost before this.

Kopecky and Reasoner have to be traded and replaced by 0.5M types. Huet has to be buried.

That gives them like 6.5M for 2 goalies, 2-3D, 5-6 forwards. Gonna be tight.
Yeah, I am baffled.

They matched on an average D with upside for too much money. He's a good player, but pretty much worth a 1st and 3rd considering the cap hit.

And as a result? Patrick Sharp is gone.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Yeah, I am baffled.

They matched on an average D with upside for too much money. He's a good player, but pretty much worth a 1st and 3rd considering the cap hit.

And as a result? Patrick Sharp is gone.
? Why does anybody think Sharp is gone? So far the Hawks have made all the smart moves, they are suddenly going to go nuts?

Old
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Ginu

Quote:
? Why does anybody think Sharp is gone? So far the Hawks have made all the smart moves, they are suddenly going to go nuts?
I believe he's the lowest in the pecking order on big salaries they could move. I don't think many teams would take Campbell on a long-term contract when Kaberle is out there for $3m less. Sharp has to go now. Who else is there?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
GrumpyJ
formerly jmiller010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Man thank god for Chicago's sake that they did win the Cup...imagine if they lost in the finals and still had to dismantle that team?
Yeah, seriously. People are quick to call out the Hawks' mismanagement with contracts as the cause for the dismantling of the team, but at least they do have probably the best comeback line of all: "we won a Cup".

Pretty sure the fans of Chicago wouldn't be quite so willing to accept this had there not been a Cup.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Lucius

Quote:
They have zero space.

They have to fit in Niemi, 3 to 5 forwards and 2 defenseman. They also have Toivonen, who would put them 400k over if called up, but will be necessary once Huet is buried.

Under the CBA they can only go a certain percentage over the cap during the offseason.

They cannot bury Huet until late this summer (training camp, I think).

Unless they get guys to hold contracts in their pocket all summer, they have to move someone else this offseason in order to fill out the roster.

That means: Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Campbell or Huet.

The later two are going nowhere.

One of those big forwards is likely going to have to move.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
That means: Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Campbell or Huet.

The later two are going nowhere.
Well, I guess if people feel strongly that Huet is going nowhere, then ok, you are entitled to think that. It's entirely possible that the Hawks would have qualms about burying him. If I was running things there, I'd bury him before trading Sharp, that's all. The roster below ensues.

It includes Niemi, but if he gets more than $2M, I'd let him walk, there are ample goalies on the UFA market who would be cheaper and just as good.

It has $800k in cap room and lacks another forward. Also easily addressed on the UFA market.

The Hawks don't NEED to trade Sharp. They might choose to, I suppose, but any team might choose to trade any player.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)
Marty Reasoner ($1.150m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / Viktor Stalberg ($0.850m)
Jake Dowell ($0.525m) / * Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Jonathan Carlsson ($0.565m) / John Scott ($0.512m)
Jassen Cullimore ($0.500m)
GOALTENDERS
* Antti Niemi ($2.000m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 20; CAP: $59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $4.158m
PAYROLL: $58.617m; BONUSES: $0.065m; CAP ROOM: $0.848m