HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Round Mock Draft-No Trades

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Dgrohl8

vCash: 500
First Round Mock Draft-No Trades

This is my opinion on how the first round will go but i did not include any trades even though there will probably be some i also have this one like calgary won the cup so we have the 6 and 24 picks

Washington-- ALEXANDER OVECHKIN
Pittsburgh-- YEVGENY MALKIN
Chicago-- CAM BARKER
Columbus-- ROSTISLAV OLESZ
Phoenix-- LAURI TUKONEN
NY RANGERS-- ALEXANDER RADULOV
Florida-- ANDREW LADD
Carolina-- A.J. THELEN
Anaheim-- WOJTEK WOLSKI
Atlanta-- DREW STAFFORD
Los Angeles-- AL MONTOYA
Minnesota-- ALEXANDER PICARD
Buffalo-- WES O'NEIL
Edmonton-- MAREK SCHWARZ
Nashville-- ROBBIE SHREMP
NY Islanders-- KYLE CHIPCHURA
St. Louis-- LADISLAV SMID
Montreal-- MIKE GREEN
Calgary-- DAVE BOLLAND
Dallas-- ENVER LISIN
Colorado-- ANDREJ MESZAROS
New Jersey-- JOHAN FRANSSON
Ottawa-- KIRIL LYAMIN
NY RANGERS-- BORIS VALABIK
Vancouver-- OSCAR HEDMAN
Edmonton-- CARL SODERBERG
Washington-- LUKAS KASPER
San Jose-- JAKUB SINDEL
Washington-- SAMI LEPISTO
Tampa Bay--VIKTOR ALEXANDROV

Old
05-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrohl8
This is my opinion on how the first round will go but i did not include any trades even though there will probably be some i also have this one like calgary won the cup so we have the 6 and 24 picks

NY RANGERS-- ALEXANDER RADULOV
Florida-- ANDREW LADD
Carolina-- A.J. THELEN
Anaheim-- WOJTEK WOLSKI
Atlanta-- DREW STAFFORD
Los Angeles-- AL MONTOYA
Minnesota-- ALEXANDER PICARD
Buffalo-- WES O'NEIL
Edmonton-- MAREK SCHWARZ
Nashville-- ROBBIE SHREMP
What does Calgary winning the Cup have anything to do with our draft positions? I want Schremp at #6, but I think if Ladd is there, we end up taking him. I'd be satisfied with AJ Thelen as well, and I suppose Radulov is a high end talent too. Again, though, if Ladd is there, I bet we end up with him. I want Schremp though...

Old
05-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Dgrohl8

If Calagary wins the cup we go from 26 to 24 i forget y

Old
05-25-2004, 10:50 AM
True Blue

Forget about Radulov. If nothing else, Sather's drafting since he got here has showed that he will not take a percieved problem child. I know that Melnyk will say that it is unknow if Radulov is a problem child or just a head-strong teen-ager, and that is fine. However, it does not change the fact that Sather has drafted those that score high on "character" scores. As thus, Radulov will not be taken by him.
And as it is, there's no way that Jackass picks Radulov if Laddis available. I think that BOTH Ladd & Thelen will get taken before Radulov.
If the draft goes down as you say, then Ladd will be taken. If Ladd is taken instead of say, Tukonen, then I think that Sather goes after either Thelen or Schremp.

Old
05-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
If Calagary wins the cup we go from 26 to 24 i forget y
There's no change in the draft order regardless of who wins the Cup. That order is set based on the regular season standings.

Old
05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
There's no change in the draft order regardless of who wins the Cup. That order is set based on the regular season standings.
No, that's not true. The winner of the Cup moves to 30th overall in the first round of the draft.

Old
05-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Larry Melnyk

Ah, RADULOV to the Rangers! I like it.....But seriously, while I like the thought of picking Radulov, I agree with TB and others that Radulov is not a pick the Rangers will probably make...We've had the discussions on Radulov before, so no sense repeating it here, but much to my chagrin it is much more probable that a player like Ladd, Thelen, Tukonen or Stafford is picked by the Rangers before Radulov...

But a few cautionary notes..In the past few years, the the Rangers have supposedley loaded up on "character players" or "Rangers" as described by Renney or whoever...First off, nobody says that Radulov doesn't have charcater, he just butts heads with his caoch...Second, You can't keep going to the same well and some high octane skill is needed in the organization...Third, over the past few years it seems that the Scouting staff has been doing all the work and making the picks, maybe Sather will finally over-ride if he's dazzled by a certain player? OK, I'm just playing with you Anti Radulov guys ......I'll be fine with Olesz, Thelen, Tukonen or Ladd....

Old
05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Dgrohl8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Ah, RADULOV to the Rangers! I like it.....But seriously, while I like the thought of picking Radulov, I agree with TB and others that Radulov is not a pick the Rangers will probably make...We've had the discussions on Radulov before, so no sense repeating it here, but much to my chagrin it is much more probable that a player like Ladd, Thelen, Tukonen or Stafford is picked by the Rangers before Radulov...

But a few cautionary notes..In the past few years, the the Rangers have supposedley loaded up on "character players" or "Rangers" as described by Renney or whoever...First off, nobody says that Radulov doesn't have charcater, he just butts heads with his caoch...Second, You can't keep going to the same well and some high octane skill is needed in the organization...Third, over the past few years it seems that the Scouting staff has been doing all the work and making the picks, maybe Sather will finally over-ride if he's dazzled by a certain player? OK, I'm just playing with you Anti Radulov guys ......I'll be fine with Olesz, Thelen, Tukonen or Ladd....
When the Rangers interview Radulov they may like what they hear, they may like the type of guy he is you never really know and i think he will impress more ways then one and i think he will be a ranger

Old
05-25-2004, 11:55 AM
True Blue

IF the above list is anything close to reality, and the Rangers can emerge from the 1st round w/ a Ladd & a Valabik, I would call the first round a victory. Then with the early 2nd, a guy like Pineualt can be taken. I would use another 2nd rounder to nab Schwarz to give the organization great depth at the goalie position. That would still leave us with another 3 or 4 2nd rounders. Another good 2nd round pickup would be Lauri Korpikoski, Lukas Kaspar, & Mark Fistric, & Travis Zajac or Bruce Graham.
Now, I am no scout and am as much an "expert" as the next guy, however, IF Sather can give me the first 2 rounds that look anything like the scenario I have listed, I would call it a day. And a great day at that.

Old
05-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Dgrohl8

The Rangers can not use another early pick on a goalie because they have 2 Franchise Caliber goalies of the future in there organization so i would be shocked if an early pick goes to a goalie unless mont or scwartz fall to 2nd round then you would be able to trade them down the road

Old
05-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Fletch

I agree with TB and Larry...

although I get this feeling that Radulov may be more of a top-end player than others, attitude has been questioned.

I could see Sather picking up Ladd, although Thelan may be more up his alley since I'm sure scouts have seen more of him than others given the fact that Potter and Falardeau are his teammates (on the flip side, Sather seems to draft college guys in later rounds, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of those #2s going towards NCAA products).

In the end, it's nearly impossible to determine which direction Sather takes.

Old
05-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
IF the above list is anything close to reality, and the Rangers can emerge from the 1st round w/ a Ladd & a Valabik, I would call the first round a victory. Then with the early 2nd, a guy like Pineualt can be taken. I would use another 2nd rounder to nab Schwarz to give the organization great depth at the goalie position. That would still leave us with another 3 or 4 2nd rounders. Another good 2nd round pickup would be Lauri Korpikoski, Lukas Kaspar, & Mark Fistric, & Travis Zajac or Bruce Graham.
Now, I am no scout and am as much an "expert" as the next guy, however, IF Sather can give me the first 2 rounds that look anything like the scenario I have listed, I would call it a day. And a great day at that.
NO goalies. Maybe David Brown of Notre Dame, or Cory Schneider if they're still around with our last 2nd round pick.

"Another good 2nd round pickup would be Lauri Korpikoski, Lukas Kaspar, & Mark Fistric, & Travis Zajac or Bruce Graham. "

With the exception of Fistric, all those players will be gone in the top 30. Kaspar MAY survive until the first few picks of round two - Maybe.

Old
05-25-2004, 12:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
The Rangers can not use another early pick on a goalie because they have 2 Franchise Caliber goalies of the future in there organization so i would be shocked if an early pick goes to a goalie unless mont or scwartz fall to 2nd round then you would be able to trade them down the road
I said that a 2nd rounder to be used on a Scwartz if he is there. And how much did it hurt either the Sharks or Buffalo to have great goalie depth? If Lundquist & Blackburn both become elite goalies, then one can be used as trade depth. Nothing wrong with strong depth.

"With the exception of Fistric, all those players will be gone in the top 30."

That's fine. I was going off the above mock draft list. And if all of those players are gone, then some of the above players will still be there.

Old
05-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I said that a 2nd rounder to be used on a Scwartz if he is there. And how much did it hurt either the Sharks or Buffalo to have great goalie depth? If Lundquist & Blackburn both become elite goalies, then one can be used as trade depth. Nothing wrong with strong depth.

That's fine. I was going off the above mock draft list. And if all of those players are gone, then some of the above players will still be there.
Goalie depth - You're right, those teams had goalies in the system, but still took goalies with 1st rounders. But they also had forward & defensive prospects who were not just 3rd & 4th liners. Those teams had good prospects already drafted. We on the other hand have Lee Falardeau !

Yeah, I think we'll get some good players in the 2nd round, but they won't be guys like Korpikoski.

Old
05-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Fletch

Trade depth?

the market for goaltenders hasn't been that great these days. Granted we haven't seen a Luongo come to the market, but resales go down quite a bit. I'm happy with the 'top-end' goalie depth we have right now and don't think a pick should be used on another in the top 30 or 40 picks. If Blackburn plays next season and seems to have suffered a serious setback, and Lundqvist looks lost, then I'd go with a goalie next season, if the opportunity is there.

Old
05-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Prucha73

Quote:

What is so great about goalie depth? Sharks gave away their goalies for almost nothing and then got killed in the playoffs by their own goalie.

Last edited by Prucha73: 05-26-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old
05-25-2004, 03:13 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Schremp > Picard

Old
05-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
No, that's not true. The winner of the Cup moves to 30th overall in the first round of the draft.
Then I am mistaken.

When did this start happening?

Old
05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
NYR Khabby Fan

radulov i dont think so, its neither stafford or ( hes out of kno where ) then ladd rather go for ladd. but thats m y opinion

Old
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i think if olesz is off the board the rangers reach for stafford. where there is smoke there is fire and it seems the rangers are high on him.

Old
05-25-2004, 06:17 PM
NYR Khabby Fan

Steinbrenner ?
Huh ??/ Where There Is Smoke There Is Fire... What The Hell Are U Talking About

Old
05-25-2004, 06:21 PM
KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i think if olesz is off the board the rangers reach for stafford. where there is smoke there is fire and it seems the rangers are high on him.
I agree if Stafford still on the board were going to take him.

Old
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
DarthSather99

I've read some bad reports on Valabik lately...they say he hasn't improved one bit from the beginning of the year, if anything he's gotten worse ...... he looks sssssssslllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooo wwwwwwwwwwwww...

Old
05-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Someone said that Valabik is not just physically slow, but also slow in the play, as in slow to make decisions. He may be someone that is being overrated because of his size.

Old
05-26-2004, 01:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING
I agree if Stafford still on the board were going to take him.
who else has to be off the board? i'm sure if Barker is somehow still around, we'd probably take him over Stafford.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker are more than likely to be in the top 5. i don't see Stafford at 5 so you're that sure we'd take him? or did you mean our second first round draft pick?

Closed Thread