HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Draft Needs

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Ranger Draft Needs

TSN overview on all of the NHL teams draft needs

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=9216

In the System

Fedor Tyutin, D
The 6'3, 200 lb. blueliner has 25 games with the Rangers under his belt and could get full-time work next season.

Jozef Balej, RW
Balej almost made the Canadiens roster for 2004 and got a lot of playing time in New York near season's end.

Hugh Jessiman, RW
Jessiman spent the last two seasons in Dartmouth and will likely go pro next season.

Dominic Moore, C
Moore split his time in 2004 between the Rangers and Hartford of the AHL.

Henrik Lundqvist, G
The Ranger's future in net shone with a .927 save percentage and seven shutouts with Vastra Frolunda in 2004.

Needs:
The Rangers definitely should address the blueline. With Brian Leetch and Greg de Vries dealt at the deadline and Boris Mironov an unrestricted free agent this summer, youngsters like Tyutin and Thomas Pock could be thrust into major roles, leaving few prime prospects. However, if the Rangers are presented with the option to add a top quality scoring forward, it's not like they're so talented that they can afford to pass up that kind of value either.

Discuss

Old
05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Fletch

Huh?

aside from goaltending, the Rangers are in need to draft every type of player and should get the best player available who's not a goalie. I would say the order of importance is size and scoring up front, size on the blueline, scoring from the blueline, but all are needed.

Jessiman going pro next season? Dom Moore on their top 5 (splitting time? He played 5 NHL games!)?

And addressing the blue line through the draft because deVries, Leetch and Mironov are gone seems to be an odd statement since it doesn't take into consideration of what's already in the farm.

So many media outlets, so countless is the lack of knowledge concerning most teams.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Dgrohl8

The guy that wrote that article is an idiot because there is no way that moore is a top 5 prospect that is almost insulting

Old
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
aside from goaltending, the Rangers are in need to draft every type of player and should get the best player available who's not a goalie. I would say the order of importance is size and scoring up front, size on the blueline, scoring from the blueline, but all are needed.

Jessiman going pro next season? Dom Moore on their top 5 (splitting time? He played 5 NHL games!)?

And addressing the blue line through the draft because deVries, Leetch and Mironov are gone seems to be an odd statement since it doesn't take into consideration of what's already in the farm.

So many media outlets, so countless is the lack of knowledge concerning most teams.
True..

I think a lot of people here seem to pump our defensive prospects too much. We really do need everything except goaltending. I still hold that we should use as many as 3 seconds (unless a great deal came), as well as guys like Poti or Lundmark to try and move up in the draft. If we can have two top 8 picks then we could potentially land two core players. Without seeing who's left I'd look at a d-man and a forward. Ideally we walk away with Olesz, and Thelen but we'll see. I'd LOVE to add a possible top line forward, and possible top pairing d-man. With a couple seconds we could land another solid defenseman or two... who know? Maybe we could steal another Tyutin. The next two drafts are going to be our low point so the time is now for us to build a future. We won't have this many picks again any time soon. The way I see it we have two drafts to land our top players for the next ten or so years.

We have our 3rd and 4th liner. We have our 3rd pairing d-men. A guy like Baranka or Liffiton could be top 4, but you don't know yet. I feel Pock could be a solid #4 guy. That leaves us Tyutin as our #2 d-man, and Pock as a #4 which means we need a #1 and #3.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrohl8
The guy that wrote that article is an idiot because there is no way that moore is a top 5 prospect that is almost insulting
I think Moore is an AHLer/borderline NHLer, but thats me. Not good enough for the top two lines, but not what you look for in a 3rd or 4th liner.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Dgrohl8

I think that when you look at r d you have Liffton and Baranka who could both really turn into something and actually turn are defence into something to fear then you add in Tyutin and Pock and Rachunek and dont forget about Kasper who still has some years left we should be able to look for top line forward b4 top line d-man

Old
05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
BLACKBURN

I hate these sort of articles. Pure nonsense. The guy obviously has no idea what he is talking about. Waste of time for fans that know anything about prospects. I really hate that kind of weak journalism

bad day maybe

Old
05-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrohl8
I think that when you look at r d you have Liffton and Baranka who could both really turn into something and actually turn are defence into something to fear then you add in Tyutin and Pock and Rachunek and dont forget about Kasper who still has some years left we should be able to look for top line forward b4 top line d-man
Liffiton and/or Baranka COULD be something. Thats not enough for me... I want a couple blue chip defenseman with guys like Liffiton, Baranka, Pock, and Kondratiev filling out the 4, 5, and 6 slots. I dont wants to be stuck with a weak defense core. Defense wins, just look at the devils. How many championships have they won? How many has Philly won just relying on offense and toughness?

Old
05-24-2004, 08:35 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
That's the sort of analysis that comes from someone who knows very little about drafts and prospects in general, and very little about the Rangers organization in particular. Let me count the things that I think are wrong with that analysis, in broad strokes.

1) It misidentifies our top prospects.
2) It ignores the defense depth in the organization.
3) It makes the mistake of thinking that teams do and should use the draft to draft for roster need.
4) It makes the mistake of thinking that teams do and should use the draft to draft for positions that are thin in prospects through the organization. In other words, it makes the mistake of thinking that teams will pass up the best player available in order to fill an organizational need.

Worthless.

Old
05-24-2004, 08:40 PM
NYR469

the thing i dislike about this article is that it is basing our current needs in place of our draft needs...smart teams draft for 3-5 years down the road. leetch & de vries weren't going to be here 3-5 years from now, so the fact that they got trade has zero to do with the draft needs

Old
05-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
[QUOTE=
4) It makes the mistake of thinking that teams do and should use the draft to draft for positions that are thin in prospects through the organization. In other words, it makes the mistake of thinking that teams will pass up the best player available in order to fill an organizational need.

Worthless.[/QUOTE]

Well isn't that the case with some teams? There is a lot of talk that CLB may move down if Barker isn't there. And if they do they will draft a blueliner later on, so teams do AT TIMES draft by need.
I also think that our F depth is way lower right now than our D depth, so I think we should take a F at 6.

Old
05-25-2004, 09:44 PM
charliemurphy

Without a question, Sather should draft a Forward with the 1st pick, if not both of our 1st rounders. Especially if Sather moves up with our 2nd 1st rounder he should draft a Forward.
I am confident in the future defensive core being built around:
Tyutin, Kondratiev, Pock, Baranka, and maybe even Liffiton.
And with Lundqvuist/Blackburn and the surplus of 3/4 liners that we have, Sather needs to draft top 2-line scorers.
Especially LW's.
Ladd at #6.
Move up and grab either Wolski, Picard, or Stafford.
With the remaining 2nd rounders we might land either O'neill, Tesliuk, Hedman, and/or Soderberg.

Closed Thread