HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign former Coyote Sean Sullivan, 1 year two-way ($500/105)

Old
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Does this guy age?
He has the fountain of youth hidden away somewhere in his house.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
exchequer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
WS is talking about the realities of the market and what DW has said before. He will get someone if it is a clear upgrade and obviously within the cap. He has a full d lineup (albeit not very good even by DW's admission). If he can't get a favorable trade or FA, that is how he will start the season. No trade or FA is a snap-your-fingers, done deal. It involves cost in terms of cap hit and in the case of trades, assets.

There is no way that an offersheet was his first option. He obviously has more options and it will take time as he works through them all until a door opens. That door may not open until the deadline and we are all hoping against the process having to extend that far.
I was getting worried about all this talk about Kaberle! (He's been linked to the Sharks in the past and doesn't seem very willing to come out to SJ) I see DW's options as being limited -- he doesn't have many tradeable assets and I'm not sure an expected late 1st round pick would hold that much appeal. Unless something like an offer sheet that makes sense, I don't expect any major changes other than a FA pickup or two.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
I was getting worried about all this talk about Kaberle! (He's been linked to the Sharks in the past and doesn't seem very willing to come out to SJ) I see DW's options as being limited -- he doesn't have many tradeable assets and I'm not sure an expected late 1st round pick would hold that much appeal. Unless something like an offer sheet that makes sense, I don't expect any major changes other than a FA pickup or two.
I am worried about the Kaberle talk as well. He is a lesser version of Boyle where other parts of the lineup have to compensate. Boyle's defense is better than Kaberle's while their offense is equal. FeartheFin did a very good piece on the balance of issues. The Sharks don't need a dman that is overbalanced to defense (Regehr) or offense (Kaberle). They need someone with abilities both ways. In the past, DW has deemed what amounts to churn as a significant upgrade. IMO, Kaberle is churn. The better a team is, the harder it is to upgrade, especially in trade. Taking from one part to fill a hole in another while creating a new hole is a big issue. At that point, it is better for DW to sit on his hands.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I am worried about the Kaberle talk as well. He is a lesser version of Boyle where other parts of the lineup have to compensate. Boyle's defense is better than Kaberle's while their offense is equal. FeartheFin did a very good piece on the balance of issues. The Sharks don't need a dman that is overbalanced to defense (Regehr) or offense (Kaberle). They need someone with abilities both ways. In the past, DW has deemed what amounts to churn as a significant upgrade. IMO, Kaberle is churn. The better a team is, the harder it is to upgrade, especially in trade. Taking from one part to fill a hole in another while creating a new hole is a big issue. At that point, it is better for DW to sit on his hands.
Never thought I'd say this but I want to roll with this D unless a favorable trade comes up. I don't want to sacrifice multiple years of Seto or Clowe for 1 year of Kabs.

Let's just take our lumps this year if we must, and do things right.

Actually, I'm even pissed to do that! And here's my reasoning:

If we were going to roll with a lineup this bad, I would have wanted to have some players like Joslin or Moore up from W. At the very least, they'd get a shot and see if they belong here. At this point, it looks like Demers could very well be on the shuttle, and that worries me. A depth vet that plays very close to what a rookie plays is a losing combo for us this year. The vet has no upside, and many will say that this is done because of the "vet" presence. However, if we get Moore up here and find out that he's someone who can actually take it, then there's the actual upside!

Last year we did something similar with Demers. He came up and down, while we pretty much battled for 1st place the whole year.

Now comes playoffs- Jay Leach is nowhere to be found. (and for his cost, he played alright) But I keep thinking, couldn't that time have been used to help Demers get better for the playoffs?

Feedback?

The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:15 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Never thought I'd say this but I want to roll with this D unless a favorable trade comes up. I don't want to sacrifice multiple years of Seto or Clowe for 1 year of Kabs.

Let's just take our lumps this year if we must, and do things right.
More often than not it would have been better to sit on his hands than trade for DW and the same goes for many other GMs. Holland is probably about as good as it gets for precision. Detroit has almost no churn. Basically, DW needs to crop the list of guys that he wants and really wait until one comes along. If it is a marginal upgrade, skip it and figure out why coaching can't upgrade the guys that are here already just through self-improvement.

Part of low churn is being successful and Detroit has been careful to avoid the pitfall of assuming bad luck is a shortcoming. Sometimes there really is no one to blame and they accept success within each player's role not expecting something beyond their abilities. SJ is successful but they aren't satisfied with lesser contributions from lesser players. Someone else pointed out that this is one reason why SJ may not be as attractive to FAs because DW will turn around and trade them for a minor upgrade. SJ is very close to Detroit's success level, but they are not close on the turnover front.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:31 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/...an-Jose-Sharks
Sullivan excited about fresh start with Sharks

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sharksahl.com/story.asp?story_id=2228
Worcester announces

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:48 AM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
He has the fountain of youth hidden away somewhere in his house.
In that fountain of youth was the talent of Matt Carle, which Doug Wilson sucked away after his rookie season...

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote