HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose-New York

Old
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post
To NYR:
Setoguchi (RFA)
2nd round pick 2011

To SJ:
M. Staal (RFA)
Rangers need scoring, and need a right handed shot in the top-six, so Setoguchi would be a nice fit -- depending on how much he re-signs for anyway.

However, all this trade does for the Rangers is the old "dig a hole to fill another" thing. In fact, we're digging a very, very large hole to fill a not-so-large one. Debate whether or not Staal would be a #1 on other teams in the league all you want. The fact of the matter is that he's the closest thing to a #1 that we have on our roster. Hence his value is much higher to us than it would be around the league.

Sure, he's never cracked 30 points, but I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a consistent 35 point d-man for most of his career. But regardless of his point totals, this is a 22 year old kid that has been eating huge minutes in a division that is absolutely loaded with talent. He is the cornerstone of our blue line.

As far as the Rangers organization is concerned, Staal and Del Zotto are the future of the Rangers defense.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post

Seto is a bona fide 1st line right winger when he's not playing behind All-Star wingers. .
youre clueless, the kid hasnt proven any such thing, he had one career year and then last year playing 70 games had 36 points, is he talented yes but after his one good year he scored 30 fewer points the following year....... so you have no credibility in your statement, at this point Seto is just as likely to score 16 goals as he is to score 30....... Bona fide means in good faith in the literal latin, how can you state with Good faith that he's a first line forward when the evidence is anything but consistent

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
This was his 2nd year in that role. Honestly, hes been our best defenseman since hes been up here.
Playing 21 minutes a night over the course of a season is not playing the #1 role. He was 4th in minutes in 2008-09 among defensemen. He was likely #1 in terms of quality given how guys that were ahead of him were doing but he wasn't playing the role of a #1. He was playing a good chunk of a #1's role this year but w/o any PP production, I don't get how people can try to legitimately argue he's a true #1 in this league right now.

I definitely understand the argument of him being the best d-man since he's been in NYR but just because the quality to minutes play ratio is #1 doesn't make him a true #1. Right now, he's close to a legitimate #2 that is trending towards being a legit #1 but he's not there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
youre clueless, the kid hasnt proven any such thing, he had one career year and then last year playing 70 games had 36 points, is he talented yes but after his one good year he scored 30 fewer points the following year....... so you have no credibility in your statement, at this point Seto is just as likely to score 16 goals as he is to score 30....... Bona fide means in good faith in the literal latin, how can you state with Good faith that he's a first line forward when the evidence is anything but consistent
I've seen every single shift of Devin Setoguchi's NHL career. Calling me clueless and then running off on a tangent that shows absolutely nothing to how he plays nor any context to what the team was doing just blows my mind. Just tell me exactly how Setoguchi is going to solidify his 1st line status when the top line is Marleau-Thornton-Heatley. By the same standards that people give Marc Staal being a bona fide 1st pairing defenseman in this league means that the same is true for Setoguchi as a top line winger.

Setoguchi is a top line player when he's playing with top line talent. Maybe if you looked at the timeline and what was going on this season, you'd have a better understanding but you obviously don't. He started the season on the top line until he got hurt. The kid had 7 goals in 11 games up until that point. When he's on the top line and healthy, he's a top line player...period. After he got hurt and missed seven games, he was returned into a 3rd line role because they brought him back too soon and was playing hurt for the first time in his career. After that point, they never gave him an opportunity to play on the top line again and it took him a while to adjust to Ryane Clowe and Joe Pavelski who both play a lot slower than Thornton and Heatley did in terms of puck movement.

Like I said, if people want to claim Staal is a bona fide 1st pairing defenseman after his first season in such a role, the same needs to be said for Setoguchi because they're really no different in this regard. I understand the love for Marc Staal but it's a bit over the top. He's good but he's not that good yet so reel it in.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Chief

Quote:
To NYR:
Setoguchi (RFA)
2nd round pick 2011

To SJ:
M. Staal (RFA)

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Staal
Wallin-Demers
Forget Ranger fans, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any NHL GM's who would trade Staal for Seto straight up. Although not a scorer from the blueline, Staal has already been a top pair defender and a defensive rock for an NHL team. I'll go further and say that I don't think you'd find many NHL GM's who would even take Seto and a 2nd rounder for Staal.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Chief

I could make more arguments but here's what this comes down to:

You are asking the Rangers to trade their best defenseman and a core player for a guy who will at best be their 2nd line RW, who we shouldn't expect to put up big numbers because he will be playing with centers who are incredibly inferior to JT offensively.

That's why this deal makes no sense for the Rangers.

If you want to talk about Pavelski instead of Seto - I still don't think the Rangers make the trade - but at least there's some logic to that proposal.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
free0717

Quote:
Don't they already have Dubinsky and Drury? Pairing Gaborik and Drury on the 1rst and Dubinsky and Setoguchi on the second is a good start to a strong top 6.

No way Drury and Gabby would work. Drury couldnt keep up with Gabby on his best day and Drurys offensive game has really declined. Drury @ this point of his career is a 3rd line center. Blocks shots and kills penalties. Dubinsky is a better Left Wing.

Read my lips, the New York Rangers are NOTtrading Marc Staal

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I could make more arguments but here's what this comes down to:

You are asking the Rangers to trade their best defenseman and a core player for a guy who will at best be their 2nd line RW, who we shouldn't expect to put up big numbers because he will be playing with centers who are incredibly inferior to JT offensively.

That's why this deal makes no sense for the Rangers.

If you want to talk about Pavelski instead of Seto - I still don't think the Rangers make the trade - but at least there's some logic to that proposal.
It never made sense for the Sharks either and putting Pavelski in instead of Setoguchi would achieve the same results. It doesn't make sense for San Jose to make that trade.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
To NYR:
Setoguchi (RFA)
2nd round pick 2011

To SJ:
M. Staal (RFA)

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Staal
Wallin-Demers
Would never happen and as a Ranger fan, I dont particularly care for it. Change that 2nd to a 1st and it becomes alot more interesting.

07-13-2010, 11:27 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Would never happen and as a Ranger fan, I dont particularly care for it. Change that 2nd to a 1st and it becomes alot more interesting.
I'd be in with a 1rst round pick. Would New York be interested in Demers in a package with Seto and a pick? That sets the future for the Sharks Defense, something that doesn't look too bright.

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
bernmeister

reply to LamoTheKid

I'm not going to report you to the Mods, just ask we all employ the appropriate amount of courtesy. Your phrasing specified "idiots" which is a different suggestion from an idea being idiotic.

There is nothing wrong with the point being made: Malkin, Orr, Gretzky, fill in the blank.
A team considering to part with the prized possession may be flexible or inflexible about what it gets back in return. PP might want Staal, but might consider alternate compensation acceptable or even more useful given PP is a great team, but not one with a lot of depth. Given that, yes, if the deal must include Staal to get Malkin, fine, but if it can be something else I'd rather part with and I can still get Malkin, that's even better. That's not rocket science, just basic logic. Let's be open minded to possibilities... reasonable possibilities.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote