HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Campbell to NYI

Old
07-13-2010, 02:34 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If we end up moving Campbell, we won't need to include four first round picks. That is beyond overkill.
Perhaps, but the way I see it, they may not have a choice.

This year (and likely in the future), which teams can afford his cap hit?

There are teams with capspace, but once you eliminate the teams that are entering or in a period where they can't waste capspace (COL, LAK, ANA, etc.), the teams that have low internal budgets (TBL, NSH, PHX, etc,), and teams that have players due big raises (DAL), you get three teams:

New York Islanders
St. Louis Blues
Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton just tried to get rid of Souray, a cheaper player on a shorter contract. Don't think they will want to take Campbell. St. Louis has plenty of defensive depth and still has to sign Johnson.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:45 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

The Blues have/will have a bunch of young players to sign. This year there's David Perron and EJ. Next year Berglund, Oshie, Polak, and Backes are all either RFA or UFA

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:04 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
A cheaper player yes, also a lesser player. Campbell also isn't a player with injury concerns coming off a trade demand.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:48 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
If we end up moving Campbell, we won't need to include four first round picks. That is beyond overkill.
Won't be 4 but odds are something of relative high value. With ~43mil owed over 6 years, not many team would want that contract. That said, doesn't mean the Hawks will move him since they did sign him to the deal and probably knowingly overpaid to make sure they get him. They could actually afford to overpay for him... just not this year due to bonuses.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:58 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Absolutely correct. Campbell + 1st for DiPi is something most Hawk fans can get behind. Campbell plus our future for the next half decade isn't.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:58 AM
LennyV

from a neutral perspective (calgary fan) 4 1st rounder seems quite a lot. also I have a feeling these presumably are of a more worth to Blackhawks than to the Isles (NYI needs to fill up on nhl ready or potential superstar prospects to build a core rather than those sort of high risk or role player prospects which seem to be available in the late 1st round). it would be better for both teams if chicago gave up 2-3 nhl ready players (Beach + Skille maybe Lalonde) with Campbell rather than sweetening the deal with picks.

also I think Campbell could be good for the Isles seeing how they would have two good defenders to quarterback the pp (Streit & Campbell) and this could jump start the pp goals from Tavares, Okposo & others. Campbell brings loads more to New York Islanders than what Souray would do.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Campbell and Huet for Roloson and a late pick and/or lower tier prospect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yeah, value wise Roloson's a much better deal but the Isles need to get to the cap floor and at this point not only is Huet a better goaltender than Roloson he's a lot less prone to injury which is huge when your only other NHL caliber goaltender in the entire system is DiPietro.

Maybe Chicago sweetens it as Huet, Campbell, a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Roloson and a conditional pick based on Campbell's #'s or Huet's games played.
isles obviously need to get to the cap floor but this is an awful way to do it. huet is not a better goalie based on last season.. adding a second to sweeten it isnt close to enough.

i doubt campbell comes here. i really really doubt it.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Would happily trade Campbell and our next first for DiPietro. DiPi has no reason to retire. Even if he can never play another NHL game, if he doesn't retire all he does is add LTIR value to a team while collecting his full contract.
I assume LTIR = Long Term Injured Reserve? Please explain what this means in terms of cap situation. If it's a special category, I've never heard of it before.

In general, however, there's too much unknown regarding DiPi for any of us to discuss a deal involving him. Given what I believe about it right now, it would benefit the Islanders greatly to lose his contract even if it meant Campbell coming back. I really don't see what would be in it for the Hawks.

Other than a deal involving DP, there's no chance the Isles take on that contract. Compensation from the Hawks for doing so is a moot point. There's no indication at all that the Islanders want to be on the hook for that kind of money.

So, please explain!

Thanks,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Campell's a good defenseman but I can't imagine a team taking on his contract for the next 6 years at 7.1 million per.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Hammer79

Lets look at another 'negative value' trade involving a D-man. I'll use the Ehrhoff deal from last season.

Ehrhoff, slightly positive value, but his stock went up after the trade dramatically
Lukowich, negative value, but salary was still below $2M

for

Patrick White, probable bust
Daniel Rahimi, long-shot at best to make NHL, played in Sweden last year, bottom pairing on AHL club the year before.

Now, you are talking about moving a 2nd pairing D-man in Campbell who hasn't lived up to his 6 year $7.1M contract? His value is going to be extremely negative. If a team bought him out, he'd be on the books for a $2.38M cap hit until 2022.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...OUT&Player=248

Just how would the Hawks GM plan to sugar-coat this deal without throwing in major assets? The truth may be shocking to Hawks fans, but it would cost them a lot to move him. I'm thinking one of their top forwards like Kane/Toews/Sharp + multiple first round picks, and get nothing of value in return. Either that, or take on several bad contracts in return, like $28.5M worth if these contracts were subsequently bought out. The sticker shock would be too much. I think Chicago's stuck with him, and will eventually have to buy him out and take that $2.4M cap hit until 2022.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:27 AM
weetabix

Why on earth you would buy him out? That's insane, this is not virtual money you are throwing away (well it basically is because it's not yours but you get the picture). And besides, overpayment is about the size of the cap penalty after the buyout so it's not worth it.

He is overpayed yes, but usefull for the team at this moment. Trade would be only option but don't think with that contract it would be easy (doable maybe but with hefty price). Later it could be more realistic but not now.

Maybe with bulkload of prospects and pics and some crappy player and/or contract to the other direction it could happen but deal may need some megaswap between multiple teams to be possible. Now it's expensive since everybody knows in what situation Chicago is.

And all this not including restrictions in Cambells contract about trading him.

weetabix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Can teams trade buyout hits?

Could a Campbell + Beach/Skille + Olsen/Lalonde/Leddy for Yashin's buyout + Prospect (and/or) Draft Pick work?

Chicago gets immediate relief, but parts with 2 good prospects & takes on dead money. Yashin's buyout drops after this year, opening up additional room to re-sign Seabrook.

NYI rid themselves of dead money, recieve 2 good prospects to add to their already stellar system, and get a good (albeit overpaid defenseman).

Moronic?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Teams can not trade buyout penalties, bonus cushion space, cash, or any other type of money or invisible cap space under the 2005 CBA. None whatsoever. Only players and those players' cap hits, and futures.

Unless there is a reliable leak as to what eight teams Campbell gave his waiver, and I don't expect to see that list see the light of day from anything like a reputable source, Campbell proposals are sort of pointless from the start.

If he has his druthers, he'd be going nowhere. If I were him, to be honest, I'd have submitted teams with the smallest payrolls in the league, operating on a strict budget, or the teams with the worst cap situation possible, to ensure that there was no way Chicago could trade me. Campbell surely wants to stay.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Mr Sakich

Souray for Witt makes a lot of sense. Souray's actual salary is 4.5 mill for 2 years. Witt will be bought out or his 3.5 mill contract stuck in the minors.

Garth saves some money and gets his dman for nothing.

The Oilers buy out Witt and lose Souray.

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
MTK

Big NO from me as an Isles fan on Campbell. If we are paying someone 7m, I would like them to be worth their contract and Mr. Campbell is not.

I feel sorry for all the Hawk fans since they have to put up with each player on their roster on here. There are some other teams in some cap trouble and one looks to be 20minutes from the NVMC.

Que the first NYR fan to say waive Redden

Also, the Isles are not going to take on players that don't fit or are not worth it to get to the cap floor. They are going to get to the cap floor by getting players they need. Whether it be by trade or UFA. There are a good amount of UFA's that will help the Isles right now

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Teams can not trade buyout penalties, bonus cushion space, cash, or any other type of money or invisible cap space under the 2005 CBA. None whatsoever. Only players and those players' cap hits, and futures.

Unless there is a reliable leak as to what eight teams Campbell gave his waiver, and I don't expect to see that list see the light of day from anything like a reputable source, Campbell proposals are sort of pointless from the start.

If he has his druthers, he'd be going nowhere. If I were him, to be honest, I'd have submitted teams with the smallest payrolls in the league, operating on a strict budget, or the teams with the worst cap situation possible, to ensure that there was no way Chicago could trade me. Campbell surely wants to stay.
I think that until we here it from Soupy, or a reliable source that heard it from him, we don't know for sure that he would veto any and all trades. He accomplished what he came to Chicago for in the Stanley cup win. He knows the situation with the cap. He also knows he's going to be widely considered as the primary reason/crutch if this team falls apart over the next several years due to the salary cap. Some people don't want to stay in places where they aren't wanted.

Also the NYI have some nice young talent. Neiderreiter, Tavaras, Kabanov...add in maybe Beach and Olsen packaged in a trade with Soupy. That's not terribly different than the Hawks team Soupy signed with a few years ago.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:35 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

will campbell include the islanders on his list of 8 teams? i dont think so

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I think that until we here it from Soupy, or a reliable source that heard it from him, we don't know for sure that he would veto any and all trades. He accomplished what he came to Chicago for in the Stanley cup win. He knows the situation with the cap. He also knows he's going to be widely considered as the primary reason/crutch if this team falls apart over the next several years due to the salary cap. Some people don't want to stay in places where they aren't wanted.

Also the NYI have some nice young talent. Neiderreiter, Tavaras, Kabanov...add in maybe Beach and Olsen packaged in a trade with Soupy. That's not terribly different than the Hawks team Soupy signed with a few years ago.
Players don't want to leave champion teams, and that room developed a reputation for being an extremely tight group of guys.

I don't buy it. I think every one of them regrets leaving this summer. They know it's a business, but they certainly would all have loved to have NTCs to prevent it.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Souray for Witt makes a lot of sense. Souray's actual salary is 4.5 mill for 2 years. Witt will be bought out or his 3.5 mill contract stuck in the minors.

i want to see this trade go down soooo badly. isles can throw in a 4th rounder too

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:49 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Kaberle or Bieksa are more realistic options for Snow and the Isles.

gifted88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
zeus3007*

I can't see anyone taking that long of a contract on a veteran d-man. Not even Wang.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

I think Tambellini wants something back for Souray, not just scraps. If the Isles put a second rounder in this deal, I'm sure Tambellini would think about it though.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

both the isles and hawks would be wiser to make a deal involving sharp.

campbells contract is horrible, however he is still useful to the hawks and at the very least their problem/mess to deal with.

the isles dont need a 7million dollar dman for the next 6 years. they need another top forward with experience and leadership(ie sharp) if they want to add mroe defensive depth sign souray on re-entry waivers and let the oilers pick up half his remaining contract.

the isles would best suited in acquiring sharp and beech for a 2nd rounder and midlevel prospect and then signing a guy like frolov on a 3 year deal if they really need to hit the cap floor.

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
both the isles and hawks would be wiser to make a deal involving sharp.

campbells contract is horrible, however he is still useful to the hawks and at the very least their problem/mess to deal with.

the isles dont need a 7million dollar dman for the next 6 years. they need another top forward with experience and leadership(ie sharp) if they want to add mroe defensive depth sign souray on re-entry waivers and let the oilers pick up half his remaining contract.

the isles would best suited in acquiring sharp and beech for a 2nd rounder and midlevel prospect and then signing a guy like frolov on a 3 year deal if they really need to hit the cap floor.
Nice idea, but Souray wasn't sent down, and won't go through re-entry waivers.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Shwag33

If what the NTC is true that he can name 8 teams... he essentially can't be moved. Why would he want to leave a cup winner to go play for the isles... if he gets paid the same.

Campbells's 8 teams: Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, NYR, Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose, Calgary.

No reasonible deal could ever be made with those teams.

Shwag33 is online now   Reply With Quote