HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koval-Gate 2010: The Calm Before The Storm (Part 11)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
PuckHogs29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I just read this bit of info. If kovy does sign with LA, it won't be announced until after the MLB Allstar game. So, I guess we could possibly hear something tomorrow.
Considering in just about every major news outlet the story will be buried behind the opening of high school football training camps and the 2010 badminton preview, it's funny how no one wants to conflict with any other news. No one would gather around the water cooler and say "wow can you believe Ilya Kovalchuk signed during Lebron's press conference?" "Yeah I know, Andy Petitte threw a no-hitter in the all-star game, but what about Kovalchuk? I can't believe he's a King!"

Give me a break media. It's cute how hockey people sometimes like to pretend that anyone cares about what the NHL does besides hockey fans.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
JimEIV

Kovalchuk is waiting for the flight home with Anna Chapman

Old
07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I just read this bit of info. If kovy does sign with LA, it won't be announced until after the MLB Allstar game. So, I guess we could possibly hear something tomorrow.

I don't believe this sorry. This is just like the Devils had a deal but didn't want to announce it that close to Probert's death. Maybe, until the Blues announced they resigned Halak the day after.

Personally predicting something Friday or it'll be next Friday.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Is this seriously in the 11th thread?

Old
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Unknown Caller

I think we just need to admit that he doesn't want to be in New Jersey. He wants to be somewhere else, and right now it's LA. If he really wanted to be in New Jersey, he would be negotiating with Lou and he wouldn't run back to the Kings three times. Whether it's contract demands, living conditions, championship potential, or whatever, he clearly wants to be places other than here.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
I think we just need to admit that he doesn't want to be in New Jersey. He wants to be somewhere else, and right now it's LA. If he really wanted to be in New Jersey, he would be negotiating with Lou and he wouldn't run back to the Kings three times. Whether it's contract demands, living conditions, championship potential, or whatever, he clearly wants to be places other than here.
I think we need to admit we have no idea what the hell is going on.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

I didn't know Beach was such a loose cannon.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I am also starting to think he doesn't really want to be a Devil. LA is doing the hokey pokey with their offer, first they're in, then they're out, then they're in again. The Devils, as far as we know, have remained steadfast with their offer (whatever it is, we can't trust any of the media estimates). So either he is just trying to extract more money out of LA, or he just really doesn't care to be a Devil.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post

Without seeing more of that and getting the whole story I'm unimpressed by Wyshynski's attempt at creating a controversy. It's not surprising that two guys in their late teens/early 20's got their tempers up playing hockey and one guy lost it. The way Beach was going after Olimb though makes me think Olimb wasn't innocent either. Our rookie camp last year had a couple of scraps.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'm sticking with Kovalchuk signing with LA on Friday.

Dude Beach is a retard. End of story. Happy to see our prospects trying to play hockey instead.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I think we need to admit we have no idea what the hell is going on.
Clearly, we don't know what the specific offers are, but we don't have to act like we know nothing. We do know that he has gone back to LA three times and we do know he is currently in LA. We also know that Lou has an offer on the table. So, we know that Kovalchuk either hasn't received the money he wants from Lou, or he doesn't really want to be here and LA is his best option. It's quite obvious that there's something missing in these negotiations between the Devils and Kovalchuk, and for whatever reason he obviously isn't sure that he wants to be here.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
downtown56

...or LA may be Plan B if the Devils cannot make any roster moves. I'm still optimistic.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Devils1988

He's not negotiating with NJ because he already got what he wants... Money.....Problem is.. He doesnt want to be in NJ... Now its up to LA to give him the money...

Old
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Clearly, we don't know what the specific offers are, but we don't have to act like we know nothing. We do know that he has gone back to LA three times and we do know he is currently in LA. We also know that Lou has an offer on the table. So, we know that Kovalchuk either hasn't received the money he wants from Lou, or he doesn't really want to be here and LA is his best option. It's quite obvious that there's something missing in these negotiations between the Devils and Kovalchuk, and for whatever reason he obviously isn't sure that he wants to be here.
Or he isn't rushing into a decision on where his family is going to live for the majority of his adult life?

Hockey isn't all there is.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post

Beach is a serious loose cannon. Loose howitzer, really.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1988 View Post
He's not negotiating with NJ because he already got what he wants... Money.....Problem is.. He doesnt want to be in NJ... Now its up to LA to give him the money...
I think Kovalchuk thinks he can get more money out of LA than we're offering. I think he's wrong, but I have nothing against him trying.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:18 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Without seeing more of that and getting the whole story I'm unimpressed by Wyshynski's attempt at creating a controversy. It's not surprising that two guys in their late teens/early 20's got their tempers up playing hockey and one guy lost it. The way Beach was going after Olimb though makes me think Olimb wasn't innocent either. Our rookie camp last year had a couple of scraps.
That wasn't a scrap. That was an attack.

Guy never even dropped his gloves. Beach looks like a headcase. Olimb is out 4 months from that and only signed a 1 year contract with Chicago to begin with. Could be a career threatening injury at this point due to how much farther it will delay his development and the fact that he's already 24.

Can't believe their GM was defending Beach.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
PuckHogs29

I look at it this way, just because a player really wants to go play somewhere in a specific city, doesn't mean his 2nd option makes him physically ill. That's the way the "he wants LA" crowd seems to be thinking. If he can't make it work with LA I have no doubt he would be happy to play for the Devils as his 2nd choice.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Beach is out of his mind. I wonder how quickly the Cormier and Downie comparisons will start?

Old
07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Absentia Man*

Quote:
If Kovy clearly wanted to go to a LA, I think they would have worked something out by now. He obviously has some interest in LA, but I don't think it's to the extent that the LA press makes it out to be. We also don't know how many talks Lou has had with kovy, because Lou Isn't playing this ridiculous media game that Dean is playing.

Last edited by Absentia Man*: 07-13-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
CerebralGenesis

He's probably defending beach because he wants to seem like he didn't make a mistake. There was a lot of concern when he was drafted that he was nutso. He still went through with the pick and we are where we are.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Lombardi seriously is annoying me with how much he is dealing publicly. Very different from Lou's method of playing it close to the vest.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
I look at it this way, just because a player really wants to go play somewhere in a specific city, doesn't mean his 2nd option makes him physically ill. That's the way the "he wants LA" crowd seems to be thinking. If he can't make it work with LA I have no doubt he would be happy to play for the Devils as his 2nd choice.
Do you want to be his second choice? The longer this goes on the more I see the "me, me, me" out of Kovy.

When he first got into the league, what did he say? Was it, "I want to play for a team and win the Stanley Cup?"

Nope, it was "My goal is to (hopefully) become the best Russian born player ever"

Old
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1988 View Post
or maybe he is using LA to try and make Lou blink. Really we have no idea what is going on. That is what we should all just admit. Speculation is fun but it is just speculation.

Old
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
He's probably defending beach because he wants to seem like he didn't make a mistake. There was a lot of concern when he was drafted that he was nutso. He still went through with the pick and we are where we are.
I understand that part...but still. The guy grabbed an unwilling participant, started beating on him and injured him for 4 months. A teammate no less.

Hard to defend that.

Guess we'd have to see what happened beforehand to judge though. Out of context that video looks pretty bad.

Closed Thread