HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maxim Lapierre re-signs with the Habs (1 year, 900K)

Old
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
WhoawhoaWHoaaa!! WTF?! Is it 850 or 900????!?!?!

Overpaid by 50k only cuz he's a francophone

ACTUALLY
he is over pay by 150K
CAUSE HE IS FRANCOPHONE!!!!!

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:22 AM
TankEller*

Good contract.

Leaves us with 4,700,000 to sign Price.
We could have got some assets on the UFA/trade market. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Good contract.

Leaves us with 4,700,000 to sign Price.
We could have got some assets on the UFA/trade market. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen.
It's more like 3.8-3.9 mil to sign Price, with that room left we have 20 players plus Laraque's buyout, so we still have to account for another forward. White/Trotter etc

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's more like 3.8-3.9 mil to sign Price, with that room left we have 20 players plus Laraque's buyout, so we still have to account for another forward. White/Trotter etc
It's still twice as much as Price deserves, considering the kind of contract Halak got WITH arbitration rights.

Wouldn't be that hard to try and find an upgrade on Kostitsyn (Kostitsyn+ for Gagné?). I'm not a huge fan of Quebec-born players, but even if there are injury concerns with Gagné, there are just as many if not more with Kostitsyn. At least, Gagné would bring even more speed, and a good two-way presence with 30 goals potential to our lineup.

Old
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Perrah

Nice price, hopefully he plays like he did in the playoffs.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Good deal. I'll admit it, I'm a huge homer for Lapierre because he's my favorite player, but I think this is a great deal. It's a nice price for him and gives him a chance to prove himself for another yeaer. Hopefully he does so and we sign him long term next year.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FuriousBob

Maybe Moore will be back with all that space on the cap.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's still twice as much as Price deserves, considering the kind of contract Halak got WITH arbitration rights.

Wouldn't be that hard to try and find an upgrade on Kostitsyn (Kostitsyn+ for Gagné?). I'm not a huge fan of Quebec-born players, but even if there are injury concerns with Gagné, there are just as many if not more with Kostitsyn. At least, Gagné would bring even more speed, and a good two-way presence with 30 goals potential to our lineup.
The problem with trading for Gagne is the Flyers want cap relief and probably want similar return to what we got for Halak. Young, cheap skill like Eller, Suban, Gorges, LeBlanc, Kristo, not a guy with a 3.25 mil contract coming back.

Are you ready to dump Ak for next to nothing(4th or 5th rounder) then pay LeBlanc plus a 1st for Gagne? That would be the scenario that would bring him here for 1 year.

Also, signing Price long term is not just about what he DESERVES. If you just give him what he deserves you sign him for 1 year and could end up like this summer, giving him a huge raise in 12 months. I would hope PG is trying to get him signed for 3-4 years at a sub 3 mil cap hit, that way if he develops as a top 5-10 goalie as anticipated we get a huge cap break in nets allowing us to maybe go after a UFA F or D-man next year or the year after. In the cap world if everybody is paid what they deserve, you end up mid pack each year, hence the need for cheap overproducing talent(loike Halak last year).

Old
07-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
Maybe Moore will be back with all that space on the cap.
Moore was made obsolete when we added Boyd and especially Eller.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
The problem with trading for Gagne is the Flyers want cap relief and probably want similar return to what we got for Halak. Young, cheap skill like Eller, Suban, Gorges, LeBlanc, Kristo, not a guy with a 3.25 mil contract coming back.

Are you ready to dump Ak for next to nothing(4th or 5th rounder) then pay LeBlanc plus a 1st for Gagne? That would be the scenario that would bring him here for 1 year.

Also, signing Price long term is not just about what he DESERVES. If you just give him what he deserves you sign him for 1 year and could end up like this summer, giving him a huge raise in 12 months. I would hope PG is trying to get him signed for 3-4 years at a sub 3 mil cap hit, that way if he develops as a top 5-10 goalie as anticipated we get a huge cap break in nets allowing us to maybe go after a UFA F or D-man next year or the year after. In the cap world if everybody is paid what they deserve, you end up mid pack each year, hence the need for cheap overproducing talent(loike Halak last year).
Dreger says they've been shopping him for a year and would consider putting him on waivers. Plus, they're in some light cap troubles.

What you're saying (their asking price being Leblanc + 1st rounder) makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Dreger says they've been shopping him for a year and would consider putting him on waivers. Plus, they're in some light cap troubles.

What you're saying (their asking price being Leblanc + 1st rounder) makes no sense whatsoever.
That may be a threat to force him to waive the NTC...or just a rumor from somebody that has no clue.

If we could do the Gagne-AK flip and make it work under the cap, I have no problem doing that. Though if AK rebounds and Gagne contunes to play only 2/3 seasons it could turn out bad.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
ruski17

Anybody else concerned about all the contracts expiring next year??? I mean theres Lapierre, Pyatt, Pouliot, Markov, Gill, Hamrlik, Gorges, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Darche, Boyd, Auld and a few AHLers... Seems like a lot.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
That may be a threat to force him to waive the NTC...or just a rumor from somebody that has no clue.

If we could do the Gagne-AK flip and make it work under the cap, I have no problem doing that. Though if AK rebounds and Gagne contunes to play only 2/3 seasons it could turn out bad.
Dreger is one of the most reliable guys in this business, and healthy or not, we know AK will never play more than 2/3 seasons.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Dreger is one of the most reliable guys in this business, and healthy or not, we know AK will never play more than 2/3 seasons.
he's in a contract year. Free of Sergei.... would it be such a shock if he has a career year? Not for me.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Anybody else concerned about all the contracts expiring next year??? I mean theres Lapierre, Pyatt, Pouliot, Markov, Gill, Hamrlik, Gorges, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Darche, Boyd, Auld and a few AHLers... Seems like a lot.

I only see Markov, Gorges and Pouliot as (potential) parts of our core going forward. I can't see Pacioretty, Boyd and Pyatt asking for that much, and we have close to 30 millions to spend going forward to sign those guys, and find some decent replacements for them. We are in a great financial shape.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
he's in a contract year. Free of Sergei.... would it be such a shock if he has a career year? Not for me.
"Free of Sergei..."

If this guy actually was that much bothered by the acts his brother pulled, and didn't want to man up and tell him how stupid what he did was, he's just as bad as him.

I'm relieved to see Sergei leave this team, but some people around here are putting all of Andrei's struggle on the shoulder of his brother. It's laughable. It's not his brother's fault when he comes in training camp in Kyle Wellwood's shape.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Not really. The only UFA we'll want to keep is Markov, and he'll be a priority throughout the season. Hopefully he re-signs at the same amount or less long term.

The rest are RFAs not expecting a large raise (except Gorges) and UFAs who the team likely won't re-sign (Hamrlik & Gill), which will clear up a lot of cap space.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Awesome stuff. I've enjoyed watching Lapierre since 2002, good to see a contract get done.
You mean in the Q?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
Im not talking about points. Im talking about his intensity, his ability to get under others players skin, skating hard, retreiving pucks, winning his battles, pk obviously( should definately get more pk time). Those are the intagelibles that he must show every shift. Just because he is a fourth liner making 840k, doesn't give him the excuse to not perform every night and for us as well to make up excuse for him.
On the Habs, Lapierre is more of a third liner than a fourth.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I only see Markov, Gorges and Pouliot as (potential) parts of our core going forward. I can't see Pacioretty, Boyd and Pyatt asking for that much, and we have close to 30 millions to spend going forward to sign those guys, and find some decent replacements for them. We are in a great financial shape.
People are so fickle. If the Habs have many contracts going up, people worry that we don't have enough players signed or that they'll all be asking 1+ million upgrades on their cap hit. If we have most of the team signed, they scream that we are stuck.

This is the land of the alarmists, where normal cap-oriented salaries come and go, but people react to it as if it's an exception, and as if it's the end of the world.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
thats up to him, the way he played last season he is a 4th. If he plays the way he did in the playoffs, i see him on the 3rd line. I dont see him getting any special treatment just because he was born in St-Leo , Montreal.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You may be right but let's see how the return of Pacioretty plus the addition of Eller and Schultz works out.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I like the one year deal.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Let's take into consideration that the guy had a pretty nasty injury to an ankle that bothered him for most of the season and let's hope he keeps it going for this upcoming season.

You do wonder though with the playoffs he had and the fact that this injury was a problem at the beginning, that it would not have been a time to ink him at least for 2 years. Seems that what Lapierre was looking for dixit Bob Perno this morning.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
DDIHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's take into consideration that the guy had a pretty nasty injury to an ankle that bothered him for most of the season and let's hope he keeps it going for this upcoming season.

You do wonder though with the playoffs he had and the fact that this injury was a problem at the beginning, that it would not have been a time to ink him at least for 2 years. Seems that what Lapierre was looking for dixit Bob Perno this morning.
I think he would have asked for a little bit more on 2-3 years deal... but I may be wrong.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote