Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benn at Center

Old
07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Benn at Center

Was curious what others thought of the Benn at center experiment. I prefer having at least one possession type center like Ribs. I am also not sure about benn's ability to win faceoffs (although mitigated some if Ott is his linemate) and his passing ability. Roman might be able to step in a year into such a role or if Ribs is retained, so I am uncertain whether this is long term and ,if not ,are we only hurting Benn's development. Just curious if others thought this is a good idea. Admittedly, if Neal is somehow not signed/traded I assume Benn moves up and the question is moot.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:05 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Was curious what others thought of the Benn at center experiment. I prefer having at least one possession type center like Ribs. I am also not sure about benn's ability to win faceoffs (although mitigated some if Ott is his linemate) and his passing ability. Roman might be able to step in a year into such a role or if Ribs is retained, so I am uncertain whether this is long term and ,if not ,are we only hurting Benn's development. Just curious if others thought this is a good idea. Admittedly, if Neal is somehow not signed/traded I assume Benn moves up and the question is moot.
Im very skeptical about it. Benn's skillset is that of a winger. For him to work at center he is going to need good passing wingers on his line. I think the Stars have so many LWers that they are basically trying to push Benn to be what he's not. I think it will work to a degree because Benn has great hockey IQ and natural skill, he can probably be a pretty solid number 2 center...I think he could be a first line all star type LW.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
So let's say no one gets traded. Does the team insist on playing Benn at center anyway? That makes Wandell a 4th liner. We then arguably have 6 (Sutherby, Segal, Petersen, Burish, Barch, Wandell) 4th liners on the team, 5 by skill level and 1 by circumstance. Is this the way to optimize a roster?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
vofty

Personally the idea of Wandell as the 4th line center does not sit well with me. When Ribs went down with his throat I enjoyed watching Wandell as the 2nd line center, I thought he did very well. I'd rather give the Morrow-Ribs-Benn line another go at it.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
So let's say no one gets traded. Does the team insist on playing Benn at center anyway? That makes Wandell a 4th liner. We then arguably have 6 (Sutherby, Segal, Petersen, Burish, Barch, Wandell) 4th liners on the team, 5 by skill level and 1 by circumstance. Is this the way to optimize a roster?
Keep this in mind: Wandell is coming back from knee surgery, and a lot of his skillset comes from his speed. So even if Ribs or Brad is traded, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Wandell start the season off with 4th line minutes and slowly increase his work load by throwing him on the ice for special teams.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Starsdude

I guess we are going after a forecheck line of

Ott-Wandell-Burish

and a crap line of

Sutherby-Peterson-barch/segal

I would think benn would have to be with Morrow and Ribs unless they throw Segal up for some strange reason

Old
07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
haf

I actually think Sutherby-Peterson-Segal is an excpetional 4th line. i would be surprised if that wasn't one of the best 4th lines in the league. I would play that line happily.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Im very skeptical about it. Benn's skillset is that of a winger. For him to work at center he is going to need good passing wingers on his line. I think the Stars have so many LWers that they are basically trying to push Benn to be what he's not. I think it will work to a degree because Benn has great hockey IQ and natural skill, he can probably be a pretty solid number 2 center...I think he could be a first line all star type LW.
I basically agree with all of this. I may change my feelings on Benn's longterm potential at center if he proves to be an excellent faceoff guy. The way he improved at taking faceoffs late in the season gives one hope.

Somewhat of a sidenote...I don't have a problem with Ribs, Morrow, and Benn. The flaw though, is that the far lesser-skilled winger is dictating wing position here. Benn has such a high upside at his natural position that Morrow should move to the off-wing. I know there are a lot of goal-scoring wingers who prefer their off-side, but Benn is clearly more comfortable playing LW. Morrow can still chip in his dirty goals from the right side.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
I actually think Sutherby-Peterson-Segal is an excpetional 4th line. i would be surprised if that wasn't one of the best 4th lines in the league. I would play that line happily.
that's ridiculous-Peterson cannot win a faceoff , they are not great skaters and cannot score or cycle. look at Wash or pitt or Phil. The lower lines were ahuge issue last year and one of the few things I agree with Newy about is that they need to be addressed. Unfortunately Barch probably plays ahead of segal anyway in stars bizarro world

Old
07-21-2010, 12:06 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I'd rather give the Morrow-Ribs-Benn line another go at it.
I wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Somewhat of a sidenote...I don't have a problem with Ribs, Morrow, and Benn.
I do.

Are we forgetting how much of a beating this was? Benn and Morrow are too much alike. How many times did they both go charging into a corner only to stare at each other with the "Are you going to take it?" baseball outfielder look and promptly lose the puck battle? Benn is one of the few wingers past or present who HASN'T shown exceptional chemistry with Ribeiro.

I would put Benn on Wandell's left wing. Benn plays both to his strong suit and with someone with whom he demonstrated a noticeable rapport. There's no logjam at center and the team gets to keep both Richards and Ribs.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:26 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I agree with the lack of rapport between Ribs and Benn. I also tend to agree with your overall assessment of the two wingers on that line. I just really want to see the team's best young goal scorer play with the team's best playmaker at each's natural position. Perhaps leaving Morrow on the line is shoehorning him into the top 6. I really just want to see Benn fail playing LW with Ribeiro over a more substantial amount of time before I'm ready to capitulate.

Longterm, I see Roman succeeding in the NHL. I think between he and Benn they could have a sort of Datsyuk-Zetterberg swapping center/wing duties situation. Their styles would seem to mesh very well.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:04 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
i like benn at center because that means he's more involved(dictating?) with every moment on the ice, and i think his hockey iq is high.

wandell, while i'm a huge fan of what i think was really promising development, is coming off knee surgery... he WILL suck next year. if he doesn't, it's a miracle. nobody, nobody comes back strong the 1st year after.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Yeah, Waddell isn't going to be ready to start at third-line center because of the knee injury, and his offensive instincts were never really fleshed out consistently last year - he was a very raw player, and I don't mean that as a negative.

Assuming all goes well in his recovery, both physically and psychologically (and I worry a lot more about the guys with the non-contact knee injuries from that standpoint), he may be ready for third-line minutes by mid-season. But expecting him to start there is setting him up to fail.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Starsdude

There remains the gaping hole on Ribs Rw. Segal playing with Ribs is just wrong. Is Lets the most likely still?

Neal-Richards-Erikkson at least one really good line
Morrow-Ribs-Segal (ugh) Lethinen looks alot better at least on paper actually an opportunity for a guy like Vincour
Ott-Benn-Burish Benn miscast here as a forechecker/energy player should be Wandell
Sutherby-Peterson-Segal/barch awful

Old
07-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
There remains the gaping hole on Ribs Rw. Segal playing with Ribs is just wrong. Is Lets the most likely still?

Neal-Richards-Erikkson at least one really good line
Morrow-Ribs-Segal (ugh) Lethinen looks alot better at least on paper actually an opportunity for a guy like Vincour
Ott-Benn-Burish Benn miscast here as a forechecker/energy player should be Wandell
Sutherby-Peterson-Segal/barch awful
Brunnstrom. Maybe? Or Lehtinen, but I'd prefer to see Brunnstrom pull his head out of his ***.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Starsdude

forget about Brunnstrum-glorious oppotunity for him there though

Old
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
forget about Brunnstrum-glorious oppotunity for him there though

Don't blame you... for as many times as he hit the score sheet last year.

I wonder if the arbitrator can take money back from this crook?

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Starsdude

In fabian defense, he was improperly prepared for the NHl. he should have gone to the ahl but teams were telling him how great he was so he bit. His rookie year showed some promise. New coach, new system which apparently no one understands totally and wham. he still has a chance just probably not here. If I am a team like Det where he could feel comfortable, I offer dallas a mid round pick and take my chances

Old
07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
txomisc

If LW was not a position of strength in the organization theres no way Benn moves to center.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I wouldn't.

I do.

Are we forgetting how much of a beating this was? Benn and Morrow are too much alike. How many times did they both go charging into a corner only to stare at each other with the "Are you going to take it?" baseball outfielder look and promptly lose the puck battle? Benn is one of the few wingers past or present who HASN'T shown exceptional chemistry with Ribeiro.

I would put Benn on Wandell's left wing. Benn plays both to his strong suit and with someone with whom he demonstrated a noticeable rapport. There's no logjam at center and the team gets to keep both Richards and Ribs.
I cringe at the idea of having one of the best pure goalscorers/best releases on the team playing on the 3rd line. I think Benn looked pass/playmaker too much last year instead of shoot, on that line he needs to be the shooter. There is no doubt in my mind that Benn has the hockey IQ to make a successful switch to center, but I think his higher upside is as a goalscorer. I think having him and Morrow switch wings wouldn't be a bad idea if it helps Benn be more comfortable and Morrow can halfway figure out the right side.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I don't think Benn and Morrow are particularly complementary pieces regardless of who's on what wing.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I don't think Benn and Morrow are particularly complementary pieces regardless of who's on what wing.
They're not. But given the roster it's hard to see where everybody fits. I am completely open to the idea of breaking up last year's top line. Benn with Richards and Eriksson. Or Eriksson with Ribeiro and one of Benn/Morrow. The problem is that we have three biggish/physical natural left wingers who can score. Two of which are what I would call "natural goal scorers." The other guy however, is dictating where the other two play.

This team lacks the playmaking wingers that you sometimes need to round out a line. Under different circumstances, Kris Versteeg would have fit in excellently on this team.

Old
07-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
They're not. But given the roster it's hard to see where everybody fits. I am completely open to the idea of breaking up last year's top line. Benn with Richards and Eriksson. Or Eriksson with Ribeiro and one of Benn/Morrow. The problem is that we have three biggish/physical natural left wingers who can score. Two of which are what I would call "natural goal scorers." The other guy however, is dictating where the other two play.

This team lacks the playmaking wingers that you sometimes need to round out a line. Under different circumstances, Kris Versteeg would have fit in excellently on this team.
Frolov would be great and even stempiak instead we wait I guess. i am still not convinced that Riberio is here or that Glennie or more likely Vincour make the jump. the roster as currently constructed has no place for benn at center unless you like him passing to Segal and sutherby

Old
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Dr GLU

I like Benn slightly more at C mainly because he generates a large chunk of his takeaways high in the offensive zone when the other team is trying to exit. The center is generally the high guy in the offensive zone, and moving him to wing may lower his takeaways in that area of the ice, which is one of the more dangerous places to turn the puck over. There is something to be said about size up the middle too. He is also a change of pace from the playmaking centers we have.

I think if you play him at C at ES and move him to LW on the PP, you can maximize his impact on the game, providing he gets his faceoffs up to at least average.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
haf

Quote:
that's ridiculous-Peterson cannot win a faceoff , they are not great skaters and cannot score or cycle. look at Wash or pitt or Phil. The lower lines were ahuge issue last year and one of the few things I agree with Newy about is that they need to be addressed. Unfortunately Barch probably plays ahead of segal anyway in stars bizarro world
Not to go on too much off-topic, i just don't agree at all with what you have said with the exception of peterson's faceoffs.

Segal and Sutherby both cycle very well, both take hits to make plays, both have reasonably good shot when they have time to get them off. and both are very physical, both in terms of hitting and board play.

Sutherby didn't play until the end of the year and when he did, he once again made a very good showing.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote