HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Dan Carcillo to 1-year deal worth $1.075 mill

Old
07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
well we are only 2 million over.

Shelley + Cote = 1.65 million almost there
1) Like you said almost there.

2) If you get rid of those two then you need to fill the 13th forward spot again so it's more like .9 mil is saved by Shelley+Cote. Unless you don't want to carry an extra forward.

I haven't checked the roster recently, but there actually still might be another spot open on the NHL roster with Shelley and Cote gone plus with neither Asham or Powe signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
We are 2.49 mil over. Shelly + ODonnell + Cote = 2.95 million.
1) You didn't mention Cote before.

2) I thought O' Donnell was only 1 mil. More with bonuses that only count if he reaches certain "objectives" during the season.

3) You still have to fill the extra forward, extra d-man, and possibly another forward spot (I haven't checked the roster recently, but with none of Cote, Shelley, Powe, or Asham on the roster I imagine there's still a spot). So, after all those spots are filled, you're still left over the cap even if all those spots are signed at league minimum money.

You could always skimp out and not carry an extra forward or d-man I suppose. Even then though it still might not work out.

4) Even if we didn't have to fill those spots, which we do, we still wouldn't have enough room to make any more moves, like signing a goalie. Moving a guy like Carle, Gagne, or Hartnell allows for a guy like Turco to be signed.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
thomaszwei

I'm not really a fan of this move. We already have Shelley, and Carcillo sat several games in the playoffs.

He takes undisciplined penalties and is as hot and cold as they come.

Weak.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszwei View Post
I'm not really a fan of this move. We already have Shelley, and Carcillo sat several games in the playoffs.

He takes undisciplined penalties and is as hot and cold as they come.

Weak.
He had a bruised knee and a sports hernia. That is why he sat.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Centauris*

oh god..

he took undisciplined penalties.. rabble rabble..

the **** he did

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
We are 2.49 mil over. Shelly + ODonnell + Cote = 2.95 million.
That sounds good and all but we need to fill at least 2 more roster spots if we waive those 3. Bartulis replaces O'D and then we bring up someone from the AHL to be the 7th dman at say 600k. Then Shelley gets replaced by powe for maybe 700k. That saves us a grand total of 1.6 million after waiving Cote. That means we are still about a million over the cap and definitely worse on the blueline with Bartulis in there instead of O'Donnell not to mention if a dman gets hurt we are literally pulling someone from the AHL with little to no experience.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
FlyerEra2010

I like the price a lot. I was expecting him to want at least 1.3 after what we paid Shelley. So after we trade Gagne and add Powe, we'll have a pretty nice set of forwards, a great defense, and maybe enough room to sign Marty Turco, too.

Not bad.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
That sounds good and all but we need to fill at least 2 more roster spots if we waive those 3. Bartulis replaces O'D and then we bring up someone from the AHL to be the 7th dman at say 600k. Then Shelley gets replaced by powe for maybe 700k. That saves us a grand total of 1.6 million after waiving Cote. That means we are still about a million over the cap and definitely worse on the blueline with Bartulis in there instead of O'Donnell not to mention if a dman gets hurt we are literally pulling someone from the AHL with little to no experience.
Yeah, exactly.

Shelley is definitely over-payed, but he's only over-payed by like 300k. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. What's more important is that Homer uses him as an extra forward rather then...anywhere but an extra forward.

Waiving all those guys doesn't save us any money really. Cote's going to get waived regardless because he's just unnecessary now.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
O' Donnell and Shelley make sense as an extra forward and d-man. As is though they're both over-payed and there's a decent chance that Shelley won't just be a 13th forward.
I wouldn't say O'Donnell is overpaid. If anything, he's underpaid. He played almost 19 minutes a game last season and was a plus 14. He played in 78 games and had 15 points. For a defensive defenseman, that's pretty awesome. And he's going to help with the load that Pronger, Timonen, Carle and Coburn were playing last year. One million bucks for a defenseman who can play 18 to 20 minutes a game is an awesome deal. And, when you consider that he wanted to come here because he won a championship with Pronger previously, I think he's going to have a real positive impact on Coburn, Carle and Meszaros and that he'll probably help drive them to perform even better. That's not a bad signing at all.

Jody Shelley on the other hand....well,

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't know what to think of the Carcillo signing. Part of me says that the Flyers are giving him an opportunity to prove he can be a player and contribute more than 22 points and 200+ PIMs. Part of me says that he can be a 20 goal contributor, but part of me says that he just isn't disciplined enough to do it. He can keep his play in check for stretches, but then he goes wild and does something stupid. I hope come training camp, Laviolette, the assistant coaches and the leadership group pull Carcillo aside and tell him that he needs to focus on the game and that he needs to decide whether he wants to be a player or not.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

When I got the text I was driving and I yelled **** YES at the top of my lungs. I love Carcillo.

I'd like to see him work on his defensive game so he can roll with our 4th/3rd line for a few more years.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I feel like I've been browbeaten by Homer... because we are so ****ed we have to give up someone we care about. I'd love it to be Carle, but I doubt that will ever ****ing happen...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Don't we almost HAVE to get rid of Shelley now?

Old
07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Don't we almost HAVE to get rid of Shelley now?
Huh? Homer just signed the guy and he seems to love him.

The chances of trading Shelly is slim to none. Sucks, but Carcillo will be given a top 9 roll, unless Homer is alrigt with Shelly as the extra guy, him and Carcillo taking shifts on the 4th pairing. They both do the same thing really. Ones a better fighter and the other has a tiny bit more offense

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Huh? Homer just signed the guy and he seems to love him.

The chances of trading Shelly is slim to none. Sucks, but Carcillo will be given a top 9 roll, unless Homer is alrigt with Shelly as the extra guy, him and Carcillo taking shifts on the 4th pairing. They both do the same thing really. Ones a better fighter and the other has a tiny bit more offense
I realize that. I just don't see what Homer was doing signing Shelley. I really don't understand why he is so in love with him too other than the fact he actually scored a goal against us.

Old
07-13-2010, 11:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I realize that. I just don't see what Homer was doing signing Shelley. I really don't understand why he is so in love with him too other than the fact he actually scored a goal against us.
That....is sadly probablly the reason why we signed him.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt defending the signing. I do feel bad for Shelly though. He isnt the best player, and Homer gave him the contract but from what others have said he is one of the nicest people you will meet

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:46 PM
chaosof99*

I like Carcillo and I think he's worth the money. How we're getting under the cap I'm not sure though :X

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:50 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
That....is sadly probablly the reason why we signed him.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt defending the signing. I do feel bad for Shelly though. He isnt the best player, and Homer gave him the contract but from what others have said he is one of the nicest people you will meet
Yeah, I wish we knew more about why the **** Homer threw out such a high number. Was he in a bidding war or something? I mean it literally makes no sense.

I'm not even a Homer hater, I actually like him, but the Shelley signing was flat out retarded.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:00 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
JVR was 8th overall in rookie scoring.
JVR was 71st overall in rookie ATOI.

JVR was 8th overall in rookie ES goals.
JVR was 75th overall in rookie ES TOI.

JVR was 10th overall in rookie PP points.
JVR was 46th overall in rookie PP ATOI.

I think it's time we slow down on the JVR was a disappointment tack.
had to bring this up from back a ways, because i've been saying this for months.

i think JVR is going to be an amazing player. he's a big kid, give him some time to mature. i would like to see him get a lot more minutes this season, as that would be the ONLY + of trading Gagne.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:20 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
LOL@ the talk of waiving/ sending Shelley to the minors.
Not going to happen. Holmgren wouldnt send Cote to the minors, he isnt going to do the same to Shelley.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:13 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't know what to think of the Carcillo signing. Part of me says that the Flyers are giving him an opportunity to prove he can be a player and contribute more than 22 points and 200+ PIMs. Part of me says that he can be a 20 goal contributor, but part of me says that he just isn't disciplined enough to do it. He can keep his play in check for stretches, but then he goes wild and does something stupid. I hope come training camp, Laviolette, the assistant coaches and the leadership group pull Carcillo aside and tell him that he needs to focus on the game and that he needs to decide whether he wants to be a player or not.
This isn't directed specifically at you but as I was skimming through this thread this was the first commentary I saw along the lines of what I wanted to address. Everyone says he's uncontrollable, undisciplined, takes stupid penalties, and so on and so forth. This has been the knock on him for years but what people fail to credit him for is the fact that he has drastically changed his game. The guy took 17 penalties last year, and drew 42. He drew more penalties on a per minute basis than anyone in the entire league. Gagne took twice as many penalties as he drew, as did Carter. Are they undisciplined?

What you allude to in your final sentence has without question already been done. Carcillo is a completely different player than he was when he broke into the league. He has been VERY well-behaved, and IMO has become too passive when it comes to accepting challenges. But the bottom line is he was asked that of the coaching staff, and he changed his behavior accordingly. I can respect that.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:03 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Garbage. Complete crap.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
He had a bruised knee and a sports hernia. That is why he sat.
this is kind of ****ing important, so i'm quoting it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:09 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't say O'Donnell is overpaid. If anything, he's underpaid. He played almost 19 minutes a game last season and was a plus 14. He played in 78 games and had 15 points. For a defensive defenseman, that's pretty awesome. And he's going to help with the load that Pronger, Timonen, Carle and Coburn were playing last year. One million bucks for a defenseman who can play 18 to 20 minutes a game is an awesome deal. And, when you consider that he wanted to come here because he won a championship with Pronger previously, I think he's going to have a real positive impact on Coburn, Carle and Meszaros and that he'll probably help drive them to perform even better. That's not a bad signing at all.

Jody Shelley on the other hand....well,
Agreed, O'Donnell will get minutes, he's a solid guy to have on our bottom pairing.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:12 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
This isn't directed specifically at you but as I was skimming through this thread this was the first commentary I saw along the lines of what I wanted to address. Everyone says he's uncontrollable, undisciplined, takes stupid penalties, and so on and so forth. This has been the knock on him for years but what people fail to credit him for is the fact that he has drastically changed his game. The guy took 17 penalties last year, and drew 42. He drew more penalties on a per minute basis than anyone in the entire league. Gagne took twice as many penalties as he drew, as did Carter. Are they undisciplined?

What you allude to in your final sentence has without question already been done. Carcillo is a completely different player than he was when he broke into the league. He has been VERY well-behaved, and IMO has become too passive when it comes to accepting challenges. But the bottom line is he was asked that of the coaching staff, and he changed his behavior accordingly. I can respect that.
i don't know about all that...hes improved, for sure, though.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 04:03 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
i don't know about all that...hes improved, for sure, though.
Well, to be fair, I guess I should've stated that I meant in comparison to what he used to be like. I mean, sure, he's never gonna be a Datsyuk type player (Datsyuk took 3 penalties and drew 30), but I meant when comparing his behavior to what it used to be it was quite good.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote