HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Kent Nilsson

Old
07-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

vCash: 500
Kent Nilsson

Where does he rank among all time Flames? Including the Atlanta Flames

(Not counting just how they played with the Flames, but their careers.)

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Where does he rank among all time Flames? Including the Atlanta Flames

(Not counting just how they played with the Flames, but their careers.)
That depends on what you are including in your rankings.

He's probably the most purely talented player to ever lace up for the Flames. He just wasn't always interested in giving his best effort.

Despite that he still put up some big numbers.. who knows how good he could have been if he had a work ethic to match his talent.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Off the top of my head, the following Flames had better careers than Nilsson:

Iginla
MacInniss
Vernon
Kiprussoff
Gilmour
Macrimmon
Reinhart
Suter
Hull
Mullen
Nieuwendyk
Ramage
MacDonald
Savard
Fleury
Roberts

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 07-14-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Remove Loob. Add Fleury and Roberts.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post

Iginla
MacInniss
Vernon
Kiprussoff
Gilmour
Macrimmon
Reinhart
Suter
Hull
Loob
Mullen
Nieuwendyk
Ramage
MacDonald
Savard
Hard to compare the goalies and dmen, but I agree with your forwards, except Loob and Savard.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
mobilus

Quote:

Iginla
MacInniss
Vernon
Kiprussoff
Gilmour
Macrimmon
Reinhart
Suter
Hull
Loob
Mullen
Nieuwendyk
Ramage
MacDonald
Savard
It's McDonald. Just sayin'.

I'd go:
Iginla
Hull
Nieuwendyk
Gilmour
Nilsson
Fleury
Roberts

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
That depends on what you are including in your rankings.

He's probably the most purely talented player to ever lace up for the Flames. He just wasn't always interested in giving his best effort.

Despite that he still put up some big numbers.. who knows how good he could have been if he had a work ethic to match his talent.
Skill and talent wise he is one of the best or all time simply Magic as his nickname suggests but his lunchbox was left at home all too often.

Bigger talent than Mogilny, which is to say that he was extremely talented as I appreciate Mogilny's skill set, but also left his lunchbox more often than him.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
It's McDonald. Just sayin'.

I'd go:
Iginla
Hull
Nieuwendyk
Gilmour
Nilsson
Fleury
Roberts
off-topic, but what would roberts' career have looked like if he had never had the neck problems just as he was becoming an impact player? i saw him a lot as a canucks fan and he wasn't quite at that kevin stevens level, but he looked like he could get there. he was on pace for a second 50 goal/90 point/200 PIM season when the injuries woes started. what do flames fans think? if things turn out differently, are we touting him for the hall of fame by now? either way, he was going to leave calgary at some point, and, given his penchant for playoff heroics, could a more healthy roberts have been some contender's brendan shanahan?

as for kenta nilsson, he was before my time. but looking at his career retrospectively, i see him and reinhardt as having similar careers, though the reasons they both ultimately didn't do as much as they could have were very different.

when looking at a full body of work, i would have to give the nod to lesser players who contributed to winning teams and played more than 1,000 games like suter, mccrimmon, nieuwendyk, and lanny. not sure about roberts, who didn't live up to his potential either, but, like reinhardt, through no fault of his own. roberts also stuck around long enough to be a very useful player in supporting roles. same goes for guys like ramage and macoun-- their peaks were so far below nilsson's, but they were around for so much longer. to this point in his career, i'd have to say that savard is solidly behind nilsson though. he's been around for about the same amount of years and nilsson's five year offensive peak blows savard's away, and it's not like savard brings a lot of other things to the table either.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
jkrx

My guess is that we should be talking about Kent Nilsson rank within the franchise and not career overall value. Forwards only.

Iginla
Fleury
Gilmour
Kent Nilsson
Niuwendyk
MacDonald

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Hard to compare the goalies and dmen, but I agree with your forwards, except Loob and Savard.
Upon further reflection, I agree with you on Loob, but not on Savard. I'm sure somebody can do an adjusted stats thingy on this, but I'm sure Savard's numbers look relatively better than Nilsson, and unlike Nilsson, Savard has added other elements to his game other than just pure offense.

As an aside, I've added Fleury and Roberts to my list. There is more to hockey than just pure offense.

Old
07-14-2010, 07:53 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I'd have him at #5 behind Iginla, Fleury, Gilmour and Nieuwendyk

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
BM67

Quote:
Upon further reflection, I agree with you on Loob, but not on Savard. I'm sure somebody can do an adjusted stats thingy on this, but I'm sure Savard's numbers look relatively better than Nilsson, and unlike Nilsson, Savard has added other elements to his game other than just pure offense.

As an aside, I've added Fleury and Roberts to my list. There is more to hockey than just pure offense.
One difference between Nilsson and Loob, is that Loob had a solid career in Sweden after he left the NHL. Nilsson on the other hand was playing in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Norway, with only a few years in the top Swedish league.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
One difference between Nilsson and Loob, is that Loob had a solid career in Sweden after he left the NHL. Nilsson on the other hand was playing in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Norway, with only a few years in the top Swedish league.
If I remember correctly, Loob was offered more to play in Sweden by FBK and didn't have a reason to go to Italy. He also was pretty homesick which was one of the reasons he left NHL. Loob is still in FBK as an executive. He is also the only swede, still, to have scored 50 goals in the NHL.

Nilsson was more of a vagabond no doubt but loads of older guys played in swizz league to make more money in the 90s. He is the only swede to have scored 120+ points (131). He is now his wifes caddie.

Old
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
steve141

Quote:
The original question was who had the best career, not only considering their Flames years.

While Kent Nilsson had some great seasons in the NHL and WHA, he semi-retired at age 31, while Hakan Loob managed to put up one of the most impressive SEL careers ever. While Nilsson's hands are legendary, I think you'd be hardpressed to find any Swedes that rank Nilsson over Loob on an all-time career list. To give you an idea I guess you could call Loob the Bobby Hull of the SEL.

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve141 View Post
The original question was who had the best career, not only considering their Flames years.

While Kent Nilsson had some great seasons in the NHL and WHA, he semi-retired at age 31, while Hakan Loob managed to put up one of the most impressive SEL careers ever. While Nilsson's hands are legendary, I think you'd be hardpressed to find any Swedes that rank Nilsson over Loob on an all-time career list. To give you an idea I guess you could call Loob the Bobby Hull of the SEL.
This is true although Loob has lost some of his former glory because of some statements and actions as a GM for FBK.

Old
07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
poise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Skill and talent wise he is one of the best or all time simply Magic as his nickname suggests but his lunchbox was left at home all too often.
It wasn't only Nilsson's lack of a work ethic that held him back from greater results, there was a lot of resentment towards him and he wasn't coached properly or given a good chance. Obviously part of the reason for that was his work ethic and apathetic defensive play, but there's no denying the fact that he was European didn't exactly help him.

poise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
I was thinking the question related to NHL careers.

If we are to assess their entire pro careers, Nilsson had a couple of good years in the WHA as well. Overall I'd say it's pretty close between the two.

Old
07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
jkrx

Quote:
I was thinking the question related to NHL careers.

If we are to assess their entire pro careers, Nilsson had a couple of good years in the WHA as well. Overall I'd say it's pretty close between the two.
Not really... Loob was by far a better player internationally and in the SEL.

If we are talking pure offensive technique then sure, Mr. Magic was better.

Old
07-15-2010, 12:25 AM
timekeep

Quote:

I was going along the lines of NHL career, did not consider european leagues at all as I don't know enough about those leagues. Stats don't mean much to me as I don't know if the league is any good.

Old
07-15-2010, 02:28 AM
steve141

Quote:
I was going along the lines of NHL career, did not consider european leagues at all as I don't know enough about those leagues. Stats don't mean much to me as I don't know if the league is any good.
Well we can probably agree that the Swedish Elite League is better than the Italian, Swiss, Austrian and Norwegiean leagues where Kent Nilsson bounced around in his 30s? Loob is still the all-time leading goal scorer in the SEL, despite playing his prime years in the NHL.

That said, Nilsson did have sick moves when he wanted to.

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Not really... Loob was by far a better player internationally and in the SEL.

If we are talking pure offensive technique then sure, Mr. Magic was better.
There is no question Kent Nilsson was a better NHL player. That's where he spent most of his life.

Loob was a wonderful player but he was never the best Flames during his career. Mostly because he chose to spent some of his prime in the SEL. If he had spent all his career in the NHL then it may be different

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:59 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
There is no question Kent Nilsson was a better NHL player. That's where he spent most of his life.

Loob was a wonderful player but he was never the best Flames during his career. Mostly because he chose to spent some of his prime in the SEL. If he had spent all his career in the NHL then it may be different
We talked about overall careers and not just NHL.

Old
07-15-2010, 04:15 AM
matnor

How would Nilsson compare to a guy like Kovalev? Seems like they share similar traits.

matnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
This is true although Loob has lost some of his former glory because of some statements and actions as a GM for FBK.
What?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnor View Post
How would Nilsson compare to a guy like Kovalev? Seems like they share similar traits.
Kovalev was more clutch and a better big game player and Nilsson a better regular season player.

I think a good comparison for Nilsson would be Craig Janney or Pierre Turgeon.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 07-15-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old
07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Well we can probably agree that the Swedish Elite League is better than the Italian, Swiss, Austrian and Norwegiean leagues where Kent Nilsson bounced around in his 30s? Loob is still the all-time leading goal scorer in the SEL, despite playing his prime years in the NHL.

That said, Nilsson did have sick moves when he wanted to.
I won't argue on the SEL better than the others, I would put my money on SEL. Put I would also put my money on the NHL as the best league by far over all the leagues. So I would still put Nilsson ahead of Loob, even if Loob was the best of the 2nd best league. The NHL was very hard back then and if Loob could only handle 5 seasons here then I discount his career a little.