HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Oilers need a 3rd line checking center BAD

Old
07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Oilers need a 3rd line checking center BAD

SO the Oilers are hurting for a 3rd line center. What do your fans think about this?

To Buffalo: Andrew Cogliano, Alex Plante, Linus Omark, 2nd round pick 2011

To Edmonton: Paul Gaustad

WHAT YOU'RE GETTING:

Andrew Cogliano: 1st round pick, 25th overall 2005
Had an off-season last year but had two 18 goal seasons in his rookie and sophomore year. He projects to be a 2nd line winger that can score up to 30 goals.

Alex Plante: 1st round pick, 15th overall 2007
He's a huge 6'5 225lb shutdown defenseman from the WHL who has offensive capabilities. He has a couple years left to develop but he has high potential.

Linus Omark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_u415CDIg
Member of Sweeden's WC team. Amazing player in the SEL but even better in the KHL.

2nd round pick 2011: deep draft, depth for Sabres

WHAT THE OILERS ARE GETTING

There has been a huge hole on the Oilers 3rd line since Marchant and Peca left. You don't know what you have until it's gone and the Oilers should pay up the wazoo to fill the crater.

Thoughts? Not enough? Gaustad goes nowhere?

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:52 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I would do the trade straight up for Cogliano. I dont see Regier breaking up the Amerks bunch though. Vanek, Poms, Roy, Gaustad, and Miller. Thats our core in their opinion.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 07-15-2010 at 12:57 AM.
SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
That's too much for Gaustad.

07-15-2010, 01:18 AM
Sabretip

According to all of the press after the Niedermayer signing, the Sabres are penciliing him in as their 3rd line center - making Gaustad the likely 4th line center. Putting aside the risk of losing Gaustad's size in a trade, is Cogliano a worthwhile addition if he ends up forced into 4th line duty?

I'd test the waters about those Hemsky rumors in Edmonton, or even probe if Gagner might be had, before pursuing any deal for Cogliano.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:19 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
we'll even throw in Drew Stafford

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
we'll even throw in Drew Stafford
The ship has sailed on that fairytale - Kevin Lowe is not the GM and Stafford's uncle is no longer a member of the organization. Both were linked to previous reasons the Oilers supposedly coveted Stafford.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:29 AM
TreeSapLlama

We have this awesome 3rd line Center named Chris Drury. You can have him for free!...no take backsies!

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:36 AM
OpethianSabre20

I don't think you need to give up that much to get a 3rd line center.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:46 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
According to all of the press after the Niedermayer signing, the Sabres are penciliing him in as their 3rd line center - making Gaustad the likely 4th line center. Putting aside the risk of losing Gaustad's size in a trade, is Cogliano a worthwhile addition if he ends up forced into 4th line duty?

I'd test the waters about those Hemsky rumors in Edmonton, or even probe if Gagner might be had, before pursuing any deal for Cogliano.
Right now, the way i feel about Gaustad, losing his size would be like losing Gerbe's size.

I dont think I was let down more in the playoffs by anyone player then Gaustad. There was a point someone in the middle of the Boston series that i looked at the hits and Poms had more hits then Gaustad.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:04 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Right now, the way i feel about Gaustad, losing his size would be like losing Gerbe's size.

I dont think I was let down more in the playoffs by anyone player then Gaustad. There was a point someone in the middle of the Boston series that i looked at the hits and Poms had more hits then Gaustad.
Shoulder injury. Shouldnt Even have played imho.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

i think thats a bit too much for gaustad, dont mean to troll or anything but that would be a huge loss for the sabres organization.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i think thats a bit too much for gaustad, dont mean to troll or anything but that would be a huge loss for the sabres organization.
I think a respectable post of an "outsider's" opinion is always welcome.

Your comment is a bit contradictory though. If the return is a bit too much for Gaustad how is it a huge loss for the Sabres organization?

I agree that it is a bit too much for Gaustad. I think Paul is a good player but he is overpaid, IMO, for his contribution. If Edmonton was willing to make that offer I would jump at it, especially since we've signed Neidermeyer.

I realize that the Stafford connection to the Oilers is gone but they still may have interest in him. I would add him to the deal in a heartbeat if they requested.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
joshjull

We now have 2 top 6 centers and 2 bottom 6 centers. We are in nice shape at center for the first time in awhile. Why would we disrupt that to add a middling winger?

The Sabres success at the start of last season was due in large part to the play of the bottom 6. Once Hecht moved back into the top 6. We started to struggle for the same level of play in that group.

We had essentially two 3rd lines that controled the puck at ES. By adding Nieds we finally got a replacement for the loss of Hecht in that group. Having the bottom 6 lines anchored by Nieds/Grier on one and Goose/Kaleta on the other will go a long way towards a successful regular season.

Then throw in Goose's faceoff contributions and no thanks to the trade.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed. I'd do it.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Agreed. I'd do it.
I was waiting for the punchline in that offer for Gaustad.

Regier might even have to consider that overpayment!

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's too much for Derek Roy...Edmonton would neverever do this for Goose.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I don't think that Edmonton needs anything right now. They're fine with losing several games just because they're rebuilding their team right now.

Moreover as Chain already said, that's way too much for Gaustad.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
SO the Oilers are hurting for a 3rd line center. What do your fans think about this?

To Buffalo: Andrew Cogliano, Alex Plante, Linus Omark, 2nd round pick 2011

To Edmonton: Paul Gaustad

WHAT YOU'RE GETTING:

Andrew Cogliano: 1st round pick, 25th overall 2005
Had an off-season last year but had two 18 goal seasons in his rookie and sophomore year. He projects to be a 2nd line winger that can score up to 30 goals.

Alex Plante: 1st round pick, 15th overall 2007
He's a huge 6'5 225lb shutdown defenseman from the WHL who has offensive capabilities. He has a couple years left to develop but he has high potential.

Linus Omark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_u415CDIg
Member of Sweeden's WC team. Amazing player in the SEL but even better in the KHL.

2nd round pick 2011: deep draft, depth for Sabres

WHAT THE OILERS ARE GETTING

There has been a huge hole on the Oilers 3rd line since Marchant and Peca left. You don't know what you have until it's gone and the Oilers should pay up the wazoo to fill the crater.

Thoughts? Not enough? Gaustad goes nowhere?
Wow, in a heartbeat.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I think a respectable post of an "outsider's" opinion is always welcome.

Your comment is a bit contradictory though. If the return is a bit too much for Gaustad how is it a huge loss for the Sabres organization?

I agree that it is a bit too much for Gaustad. I think Paul is a good player but he is overpaid, IMO, for his contribution. If Edmonton was willing to make that offer I would jump at it, especially since we've signed Neidermeyer.

I realize that the Stafford connection to the Oilers is gone but they still may have interest in him. I would add him to the deal in a heartbeat if they requested.
I apologize i meant the reverse, this would be a steal for you guys lol but I dont think you would be able to get it done. But yes I agree if you plan to move stafford would seem more tempting. Cogliano is definitely being shopped with the rising of brule last season.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Amerks....you mean pirates...

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:26 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Amerks....you mean pirates...
No...this group all played together on the Amerks before and during the lockout...before we moved to Portland.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
No...this group all played together on the Amerks before and during the lockout...before we moved to Portland.
Correct - I remember reading one article several years back, wherein the writer dubbed them "the Rochester Five" (Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Miller, Gaustad), whenever references by the Sabres' management were made to the "core" they were building around. It seemed that the "bond" the Sabres always point to is not only of the group being teammates in Rochester but moreso, that they "all grew up" together. Even some of the interviews that some of them have given in recent years still reference that connection - Miller certainly brings it up from time to time.

Old
07-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We now have 2 top 6 centers and 2 bottom 6 centers. We are in nice shape at center for the first time in awhile. Why would we disrupt that to add a middling winger?

The Sabres success at the start of last season was due in large part to the play of the bottom 6. Once Hecht moved back into the top 6. We started to struggle for the same level of play in that group.

We had essentially two 3rd lines that controled the puck at ES. By adding Nieds we finally got a replacement for the loss of Hecht in that group. Having the bottom 6 lines anchored by Nieds/Grier on one and Goose/Kaleta on the other will go a long way towards a successful regular season.

Then throw in Goose's faceoff contributions and no thanks to the trade.
I'm not sure where you stand with Regier, but that's typically most fans' complaint of him, "he doesn't take risks". Basically keeping the status quo isn't enough to get us over the hump.

Now, I'm a Regier supporter and think he has done a pretty good job. Here would be a time where you'd have to take a risk in messing with team chemistry and load up on some good young talent.

Not that this would ever happen in reality, but you wouldn't trade a player you have slotted to play the 4th line that makes over $2M a season for three, better than average, young players (2 former 1st rounders) and a second round pick?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Correct - I remember reading one article several years back, wherein the writer dubbed them "the Rochester Five" (Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Miller, Gaustad), whenever references by the Sabres' management were made to the "core" they were building around. It seemed that the "bond" the Sabres always point to is not only of the group being teammates in Rochester but moreso, that they "all grew up" together. Even some of the interviews that some of them have given in recent years still reference that connection - Miller certainly brings it up from time to time.
and here I thought Connolly was one of them...No Sarcasm.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
and here I thought Connolly was one of them...No Sarcasm.
Regier sure has tried lumping Connolly into that "core" whenever the media start scrutinizing his decision to specifically hang onto Connolly - although that seemed to change a little with the ambiguous reply Regier gave Gleason's point-blank question at the end-of-the-season PC.

But, in that infamous summer PC of 7/3/07 that he and Quinn held in the wake of losing Briere & Drury and matching the Vanek offer sheet, Regier and Quinn emphatically argued how their master plan all along was to build around the core guys who came up through Rochester together (M,R,V,P,G) - even insinuating that Briere and Drury were complementary players to support and teach the younger core. Along with justifying Vanek's contract, they laid the foundation for future arguments by emphasizing the similar importance of the other four, each of whom were later extended for multi-years. When the Buffalo media challenged them on breaking their own rule of handing out long-term deals, Regier referenced the Rochester core once again.