HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Blake Wheeler to Minny

Old
07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I'd do a Wheeler-Barker trade. Maybe a nice shakeup if both teams aren't going so well earl in the season.

Minny has $7m in expiring contracts between Brunette, Miettinen, and Kobsaew, we'll have enough money to sign Koivu long term.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'm not sure when or where I heard this, and I may be confusing him with another former Golden Gopher, but I thought he said he had no interest playing for the Wild.

However, if I'm wrong, maybe Wheeler + our 2nd rounder back for Barker + 4th or 5th? Am I close?
I'm not as down on Barker as some, so I think a Wheeler for Barker swap might make sense in terms of value (without the pick swaps). However, The only reason Wheeler would be on the block is because his arbitration award was too rich for Boston's blood (like $2.5mil or so), so adding salary in the form of Barker wouldn't make sense. Any deal with Boston at this point has to be salary-neutral at worst, so this one wouldn't make a ton of sense.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I think Wheeler is a bad seed. He held out in Phoenix and then went to Boston, and now he's filed for arbitration, he's all about Blake Wheeler, and he's very money hungry. At least that's how it comes across, I really have no idea.
He's actually a team player and plays hard all the time.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Yeah, how unreasonable for us to ask for Bergeron or Krejci for Burns.

We should just trade Burns for whatever just to get him off the team as fast as possible.

Kind of proves my point, no?

I'd do a Wheeler-Barker trade. Maybe a nice shakeup if both teams aren't going so well earl in the season.

Minny has $7m in expiring contracts between Brunette, Miettinen, and Kobsaew, we'll have enough money to sign Koivu long term.

Isn't Barker a Wideman 2.0?

Old
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Kind of proves my point, no?

Isn't Barker a Wideman 2.0?
Not really. The main difference is that Burns isn't being actively shopped around. The only time he should come up in trade talks is if a Bergeron/Krejci type (young, legit top-6 forward) becomes available. Minnesota doesn't want to trade him for a package return (which is all that gets proposed here).

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
He's actually a team player and plays hard all the time.
Really? I could've sworn he was in Bruins fans' doghouses this season, and IIRC (I could be wrong, I don't remember as this was back in like December), they were saying he wasn't giving a total effort/playing without heart. Personally, one thing I don't like about Wheeler is that he's 6'5" and 205 lbs but plays as if he's 5'10" and 175, reminds me of an even softer Ponikarovsky at times

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I love the anti-Blake Wheeler guys. He chose to be a UFA and signed with Boston over PHX (who was a total grease fire at the time), and now he chose to go to Arbitration...and he's just a bad seed. 90% of the posters here would have done exactly the same thing that Wheeler did 3 years ago if they were in his situation, but it's so much easier to throw stones because it makes us feel better.
Grease fire or not, there's something to be said for loyalty and class in the NHL. Mr. Wheeler has none of the above.

He's more concerned with the name on the back of the jersey than the name on the front and he hasn't done anything to garner that kind of ego. He's a headcase and will not amount to anything more than an average NHL player that will, hopefully, be out of the league in 5 years due to his own inabilities on the ice and disabilities in his skull.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
Grease fire or not, there's something to be said for loyalty and class in the NHL. Mr. Wheeler has none of the above.

He's more concerned with the name on the back of the jersey than the name on the front and he hasn't done anything to garner that kind of ego. He's a headcase and will not amount to anything more than an average NHL player that will, hopefully, be out of the league in 5 years due to his own inabilities on the ice and disabilities in his skull.
I totally understand why Yotes fans would have a hate for Wheeler, but you're being a bit melodramatic...no? He's a headcase with disabilities in his skull? Really?

His decision to become a UFA was certainly selfish and you won't get an argument here, and I'd be pissed as well if I was a Yotes fan. But to label him as some sort of mentally disabled egomaniac is beyond laughable.

Old
07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Not really. The main difference is that Burns isn't being actively shopped around. The only time he should come up in trade talks is if a Bergeron/Krejci type (young, legit top-6 forward) becomes available. Minnesota doesn't want to trade him for a package return (which is all that gets proposed here).
Gets injured a lot though. He's really good, but D isn't our problem, although somehow everyone thinks its our first objective to have 8 defenseman. We need scoring and skill just like everyone else, and that's why people like Wheeler and Savard probably won't go for cheap and/or Kaberle. Guys like Krejci and Bergeron are the cornerstones of the team, so they probably aren't going to get traded.

If we did get Burns somehow, we might be able to put together a full season between him and Ference.

Really? I could've sworn he was in Bruins fans' doghouses this season, and IIRC (I could be wrong, I don't remember as this was back in like December), they were saying he wasn't giving a total effort/playing without heart. Personally, one thing I don't like about Wheeler is that he's 6'5" and 205 lbs but plays as if he's 5'10" and 175, reminds me of an even softer Ponikarovsky at times

He's not a big hitter. About as physical as Jason Spezza. He is definitely not a fan favorite, but I think that has more to do with his style of play and less to do with effort. He looked pretty good in his rookie year, and I think this year was just a sophomore slump, even though it wasn't that bad. There's a big difference between what Wheeler did last year and what Ryder did. Ryder was all sorts of useless and looked like he wanted off the ice as soon as he got on.

Old
07-15-2010, 03:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I'm not sure when or where I heard this, and I may be confusing him with another former Golden Gopher, but I thought he said he had no interest playing for the Wild.

However, if I'm wrong, maybe Wheeler + our 2nd rounder back for Barker + 4th or 5th? Am I close?
You are right - basically when he said something along the lines of wanting to live somewhere else, not wanting the hømetown pressure and having an opportunity to make a NHL roster right away.

Quote:
A man who came back for a chance to win a national title instead of jumping to the NHL has all the loyalty in the world in my book.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I totally understand why Yotes fans would have a hate for Wheeler, but you're being a bit melodramatic...no? He's a headcase with disabilities in his skull? Really?

His decision to become a UFA was certainly selfish and you won't get an argument here, and I'd be pissed as well if I was a Yotes fan. But to label him as some sort of mentally disabled egomaniac is beyond laughable.
It may be laughable to you, but my hatred for this kid runs deep. We drafted him 5th overall, well ahead of where he was supposed to go and well above his head talent-wise. We took a chance on him, made excuses for him during his development, and could not wait to see what kind of player he could be for our franchise. Instead, he and his agent found a loophole in the new CBA and bolted for another team without even looking back. I'm sorry, but that kind of action speaks to the character of Blake and what he's all about: himself. He's a headcase who thinks he's better than he really is or probably ever will be.

Dramatic? Maybe, but at I can no longer make excuses for a sorry sack of puke like Blake Wheeler.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............i would have gotten out of there too

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:23 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
It may be laughable to you, but my hatred for this kid runs deep. We drafted him 5th overall, well ahead of where he was supposed to go and well above his head talent-wise. We took a chance on him, made excuses for him during his development, and could not wait to see what kind of player he could be for our franchise. Instead, he and his agent found a loophole in the new CBA and bolted for another team without even looking back. I'm sorry, but that kind of action speaks to the character of Blake and what he's all about: himself. He's a headcase who thinks he's better than he really is or probably ever will be.

Dramatic? Maybe, but at I can no longer make excuses for a sorry sack of puke like Blake Wheeler.
Counseling...it's your friend.

Old
07-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

Quote:
None taken. Just seems like a player who hasn't accomplished anything is demanding a lot. First it was Phoenix who he screwed after they went off the board to take him, and now Boston. Like I said, it's just the way it comes across to an outsider with no real knowledge.
No, you have enough knowledge.

I hope the B's trade him back to Phoenix for a 22nd round pick in 2018. And instead of just sitting him in the pressbox, they make him do pushups in the pressbox from the start of the game to the end, no breaks. And then all the fans, players, and coaches get to come up and kick him after the game. And then he has to run home from the game with actual coyotes chasing him.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Serpico4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
No, you have enough knowledge.

I hope the B's trade him back to Phoenix for a 22nd round pick in 2018. And instead of just sitting him in the pressbox, they make him do pushups in the pressbox from the start of the game to the end, no breaks. And then all the fans, players, and coaches get to come up and kick him after the game. And then he has to run home from the game with actual coyotes chasing him.

that probably won't happen... i'm not sure the coyotes will be around.

Old
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
petrobruin

There aren't too many players in the NHL who want to play in Phoenix

Wheeler isn't the only one who doesn't wanna play there.But he was smart enough to find a loop hole to get out

Petr

petrobruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:46 AM
jtrav772

to me burns to the bruins would be a very good move for both sides...not sure how minny fans would like this but ill throw it out there anyway

Boston: Savard, Wheeler, (Prospect and/or pick)
Minnesota: Burns, Sheppard

minnesota gets a top center in savard and a still developing wheeler who could turn into a dominant player in the nhl
boston gets a mobile puck moving defenseman in burns, as well as a former top pick in shepard who from what i read has struggled so far in minny and could possibly benefit from a change of scenery

boston also clears up a major logjam at the center position

jtrav772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrav772 View Post
to me burns to the bruins would be a very good move for both sides...not sure how minny fans would like this but ill throw it out there anyway

minnesota gets a top center in savard and a still developing wheeler who could turn into a dominant player in the nhl
boston gets a mobile puck moving defenseman in burns, as well as a former top pick in shepard who from what i read has struggled so far in minny and could possibly benefit from a change of scenery

The salary cap would prevent this

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:32 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrav772 View Post

I think Savard is a fantastic player, but this would leave too many holes on the Wild. We already have too many playmakers and not enough goal scorers. Plus, losing Burns would be a major blow to the blueline if Barker doesn't turn out.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
I think Wheeler is a bad seed. He held out in Phoenix and then went to Boston, and now he's filed for arbitration, he's all about Blake Wheeler, and he's very money hungry. At least that's how it comes across, I really have no idea.
Your completely wrong. First, he didn't want to play in Phoenix because he felt the distractions would be too great playing in a warm weather city. Several veteran NHLers have stated the same thing playing in towns like Phoenix and Miami. So actually this was a pretty mature thing for Wheeler to do. If he was all about himself wouldn't he rather spend his winters in Phoenix instead of Boston.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:32 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Your completely wrong. First, he didn't want to play in Phoenix because he felt the distractions would be too great playing in a warm weather city. Several veteran NHLers have stated the same thing playing in towns like Phoenix and Miami. So actually this was a pretty mature thing for Wheeler to do. If he was all about himself wouldn't he rather spend his winters in Phoenix instead of Boston.
It's not worth it. There are those that simply can't see the forest through the trees in terms of the big boy decisions that get made in leagues like the NHL. Phoenix fans are justifiably still chapped that he chose to become a UFA rather than sign there, but the 'bad seed' label that other team's fans through around is comical.

Side note: Is Billy Sweatt going to be treated with the same vitriol if he also chooses to become a UFA on August 15th? I see nothing wrong with it so long as you're not violating any CBA rules, but I guarantee you people are going to be chapped about it. But I bet he doesn't get the 'bad seed' label like Wheeler has.