HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Synergy ST '09 model vs. '10 model

Old
06-22-2010, 12:18 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Easton Synergy ST '09 model vs. '10 model

The Easton Synergy ST '09, the blue model, without grip, was the first ever hockey stick that suited me perfectly. Unfortunately, they've stopped making them and I can't find them anywhere. Is the '10 ST Synergy model the same as the '09 one? Are there any differences? Are they similar?

09 model

new 10 model

thanks

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Placebo Effect

Pretty sure the first pic isn't the ST

Either way, here are the specs of each.

2009 model

Quote:
The Synergy ST, built for power and durability with its Multi-Rib blade construction, was designed with SHOX™ technology for a forgiving blade providing improved stick handling and passing. Like every Synergy before it, the ST has an engineered low kick point for reflexive load and release.

Easton SHOX™ technology provides a more forgiving blade with excellent puck feel for "soft hands". Combined with the Multi-Rib design, the ST keeps the puck on the blade longer for crisp and powerful one-timers
Kevlar®/Composite shaft construction
Silicone Molded Liquid silicone is used to mold the ST shaft giving consistent walls with flexible geometry
Taper Flex Geometrically engineered to direct the flex point to the base of the shaft for a low kick point
Concentrated mass in the impact zone
2010 version

Quote:
* SUPER TOUGH. PURE POWER. A combination of a resin transfer molded blade with Easton’s legendary Synergy® shaft make this stick a force to be reckoned with. The best players in the best leagues all over the world still choose this technology for its pure power.
* SHOX TECHNOLOGY. Shox™ Technology uses a Resin Transfer molding process that gives these blade unique characteristics making pucks stick like glue through impact. With sticking power like this, you can take the “hardest shot in the world*”
* SYNERGY TUNED PROFILE. The best shaft in the business, reinforced with multiple layers of high grade carbon, uses a proprietary compression molding process wrapped in a ballistic Kevlar®. Synergy® tuned profile generates power that sets Easton sticks apart from the rest
* 3 Rib blade construction
* Proprietary lightweight Kevlar®/Graphite shaft construction
* Low kickpoint for reflexive load/release
* Grip Coating

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:04 PM
doobie604

i'm pretty sure the ST hasn't changed for years. just paying for new paint jobs.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 07:31 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
The first pic is an ST but not the '09 model. It's a couple years older.

I've heard plenty of people say the ST's are basically the same each year, just different paint job, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Crude
Rafters 94

Ive used a number of ST's, including the original that you posted as the "09" which is really more like an 07/08. Regardless, the Synergy shaft on the ST has remained the same since the beginning, with minor changes to blade construction and paint. I'm picking up a couple of the newest ones this week. The "Super Tough" moniker is actually true, as the ST's I have used in the past have been very durable.

Theres a good review here on YouTube as well.

Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Evil Ted

I have had 3 supertoughs in my career played some fairly competative hockey (mens contact) the first two have been awsome still have them today and use them actually, they show a bit of wear look like they could break any day but again have had 1 for 4 years+ and the other for 2+ (roughly).

This past winter I got a newer ST and it broke in the playoffs off a slash. So not sure if my next stick will be another ST or not, I am on the fence from my personal experiences. I had a bauer x40 that really helped my shot but it broke too so I am at a loss of what to pick up next.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
koh19

thanks guys.

I didn't know it was the '08 model.

So in other words, the '10 model will feel almost the same as the '08 model, but perhaps better (because of new technology, etc...)?

Old
07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
koh19

The guy in the video mentions that the blade is a bit heavy for a one piece stick of its caliber. Can anyone confirm this?

Old
07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
GuitarAwesome

ST is always a little blade heavy. It's considered one tier below the top sticks of it's brand (S19, SE16), but the performance is obviously not even close to those. It's thicker and heavier so it can take more of a beating. Yes, blade heavy, but less prone to breaking as well.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's about as basic a stick as you can get with top end materials. Durable, good performance, nothing fancy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
koh19

thanks

If the ST isn't a top notch stick, why do Getzlaf and Chara use it?

So should I maybe look at the SE16? What's the difference with the ST?

Old
07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
jsykes

A LOT of pros use the ST, most of them painted like the top sticks that Easton wants you to buy. It works. Its a good stick. Its not the lightest, but has good feel and is durable. I was told flat out by an Easton rep once that the ST is their most popular stick, just as repaints for most users.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For most pros, the Synergy was the first composite they had, and if they were comfortable shooting with it, no sense in changing their technique or adapting to a new model. And there's way more hacking and slashing in the NHL than in beer leagues, so a durable stick is a plus.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Roccosvan

The ST is the only stick I use. True, it's not the lightest, but I've been using them since the green one came out. Its the best 'all-around' stick easton makes IMHO.

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Joe Cole

+1. Easton ST, most consistent stick I have ever had. It seems to maintain that "snap" that a good stick has for longer than any other I have bought.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
koh19

Ok guys, just came back from the hockey store, got 2 Easton Synergies ST '10 model Sakic 100 non grip.

The stick feels great, lightweight, well balanced, very nice design (not that that matters), the flex is better than the '08 model, it just seems like the shots are gonna come off your blade quicker. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Didn't really look at other models, I asked to see the ST stick and it felt great right away. The guy at the store told me it was a great stick and that it was the only stick that was still made in Mexico and not in China. All other Easton models are now made in China. He told me that although the difference isn't huge, the sticks made in Mexico are usually better quality and will last longer.