HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A couple of good reads on Price

Old
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
25th

vCash: 500
A couple of good reads on Price

http://dailyhab-it.blogspot.com

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...t-of-the-carey

For all the Halak lovers and mostly the Price bashers, he is some more perspective. Nothing that hasn't been said before, yet for some, it might be the time that they finally get it!

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
TankEller*

Doubting Price doesn't equal bashing him. Having blind faith in a goalie who's been outplayed by Halak in the last 2 years is just as bad as saying Price will never achieve anything of value. The only guy who has answers is Price himself.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
If Price fails again, fans here will probably say it's because we didn't support him enough. It's like this guy has hypnotized everyone so that nobody blames him for anything. It's just never his fault if he doesn't perform.

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchendoh View Post
If Price fails again, fans here will probably say it's because we didn't support him enough. It's like this guy has hypnotized everyone so that nobody blames him for anything. It's just never his fault if he doesn't perform.
That must be why there is anti price thread on facebook and rds talkbacks.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
So maybe we as fans should support him so that can't be used as an excuse.

Or we can all just **** on him and bask in his victories if they happen or say "I told you so" if he sucks.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Supporting one of our own prospects, what an incredible concept.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:25 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Doubting Price doesn't equal bashing him. Having blind faith in a goalie who's been outplayed by Halak in the last 2 years is just as bad as saying Price will never achieve anything of value. The only guy who has answers is Price himself.
theres more bashing then doubting

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The blog should add that Price had his 40th career win in his 66th career game.

Quicker than Brodeur, Miller, Ward, Luongo, Fleury, and at a younger age too.

He also got his 50th win quicker than these players.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

but.. but... he sucks and is a bust

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
http://dailyhab-it.blogspot.com

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...t-of-the-carey

For all the Halak lovers and mostly the Price bashers, he is some more perspective. Nothing that hasn't been said before, yet for some, it might be the time that they finally get it!
This seems like a typical quote from a Price-lover and Halak basher. You seem to be the same as the clan that you are insulting. My point is that the last part was a gratuitous jab and didn't need to be said.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
chillmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
This seems like a typical quote from a Price-lover and Halak basher. You seem to be the same as the clan that you are insulting. My point is that the last part was gratuitous and didn't need to be said.

I am a fan of Price, which doesn't stop me from seing that Halak has been incredible for the Habs, but it neither doesn't stop me from seeing that there is a lot of "bashing-just-for-the-fun-of-it" on Price.

Can the guy get just a little support from his detractors?! It must be too much asked I guess... after all we were all very serious and professionnal being 22....

chillmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmat View Post

I am a fan of Price, which doesn't stop me from seing that Halak has been incredible for the Habs, but it neither doesn't stop me from seeing that there is a lot of "bashing-just-for-the-fun-of-it" on Price.

Can the guy get just a little support from his detractors?! It must be too much asked I guess... after all we were all very serious and professionnal being 22....
I tried really hard to read your post but the font just had me completely mesmerized.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:52 PM
shutehinside

Quote:

Doesn't mean anything as he's a 22 year old Jim Carey with no value and has been so terrible in the years he has played that he doesn't deserve a raise from his entry level contract like any of the above mentioned players did.

Quite simply, until Price wins a Stanley Cup, most people who follow the Habs will think he's a bust. It's that simple and sad.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmat View Post

Disclaimer - This is in no way a post to bash Price, or deny how talented he is. I'm perfectly aware of the traps and of what a 22 years old guy's life looks like NORMALLY.

That being said, you can't compare your life to the one of a 22 years old goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens. These guys CAN'T make mistakes. Not in a market like Montreal. Or if they make one, they better as hell perform enough to make the crowd forget it. They're given ridiculous amounts of money, and that, in exchange of their dedication and their respect to the organization which pays them.

NOW. What Price did isn't unprecedented, neither is it that disgracious. Gainey (even being a big fan of his) sure didn't help Price when he put him on a pedestal 3 years ago. He put it down the fans' throats, and quite obviously, you can't do that in Montreal.

Once again, the fanbase's reaction is quite exagerrated. Nowhere else would Price live what he's living right now. But the kid should have been integrated more properly. A part of the blame is to be put on the shoulders of the leadership of a few years back as well. If Gionta actually whined to the management about Price's work ethic, and already knowing what happened with Markov this winter, well you've got to wonder why the leadership of a few years back just wouldn't come straight to his face/to the management and express how things were not going good with Price (neither were they with any other young players for the record...).

Old
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I tried really hard to read your post but the font just had me completely mesmerized.
You have to read it with a distinguished British accent.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
j52

Why do some fans come up with so many excuses for this guy? Fifty wins vs how many losses? He is not and never will be the second coming of Jaques Plante.
The Gumper, parfois?

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Why do some fans come up with so many excuses for this guy? Fifty wins vs how many losses? He is not and never will be the second coming of Jaques Plante.
The Gumper, parfois?
Why do fans come up with so much hate for this guy?

Btw, this thread is doomed, people don't want good reads on Price, they want bad ones!

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Why do fans come up with so much hate for this guy?

Btw, this thread is doomed, people don't want good reads on Price, they want bad ones!
There's a huge gap between blindly falling in love with a player, and blindly bashing the said player. You know, being critic?

And honestly, have you ever read anything negative from the medias about Price? The guy has been touted as the second coming of Roy ever since being drafted. Gainey, his fanclub AND the medias have been trying to put Price down the fanbase's throat so much that many of those fans have turned out to be haters. You might argue that this said fanbase is pathetic/stupid, they're just human.

I'm not saying that I don't want to believe in Price. I say; just let the guy do his thing. His fanbase just isn't helping him right now.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
The only guy who has answers is Price himself.
Very true. It's all about the attitude with him. I hope Carey Price locks himself in a rink this summer to practice drills over and over. I know he's had terrible focus his whole career so hopefully this summer will be different. This upcoming season could really define his NHL career. We know he can play at an elite level (0.920%+) and I'd love to see him play that way next year.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

More brain rotting food for the sheep. I get it, Bob knows best.

"What many miss out on, is that Gainey might be well the perfect guy to judge whether a young goalie had the goods or not. "

Sure, we all "miss" that.

Bob also played with and watched close up some of the best wingers, centreman, and defenceman the game has ever seen. Yet he couldn't get a proper read on Beachemin, Hainsey, and Niinimaa, has yet to ice a #1 centreman , and has provided "misses" in each first round he's had his hands on.

Oh yeah, Bob really has his pulse on the game and knows talent.

I see Robert L , who writes the occasional good article and has a writing style I enjoy, is learning his phony craft well by writing pro management drivel that appeals to the slothful masses.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Right on man. Excellent post.

I've been extremely critical of Price (not bashing, but rather just pointing out facts) and people just lynch me everytime I do it.

I suppose I should expect it, HF is after all a board for people to discuss prospects and many posters on here tend to forget that potential is just that; potential.

Price needs to prove he was worth shipping out a more proven goaltender (at this point) in Halak. He needs to prove he was worth the top 5 pick in 2005. He needs to prove it. It doesn't matter how many times Gainey, or members of the media, or Cammalleri can speak up and say how they have confidence in him... That means nothing;

HE NEEDS TO PERFORM.

Maybe he should listen to what Cammalleri says, watch what Cammalleri does, and apply it to his position.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:21 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
This is another good read on Carey Price if you guys are interested, plus they used one of my youtube vids! Thats always fun

Carey Price Era

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

I hear what you're saying Ozy, and no one can take that away from him. However, let's look at 60 wins, and start forecasting 70, 80, etc. Quick broke 60 wins in under 120 games. Rinne in about 110. Hillier in under 130. I think Price did it in 132. That's why I don't put nearly as much stock in the myriad permutations of the goalie's win statistic as I do GAA and SV%. Good thing for all of us is that Price isn't exactly weak in those departments either.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
More brain rotting food for the sheep. I get it, Bob knows best.

"What many miss out on, is that Gainey might be well the perfect guy to judge whether a young goalie had the goods or not. "

Sure, we all "miss" that.

Bob also played with and watched close up some of the best wingers, centreman, and defenceman the game has ever seen. Yet he couldn't get a proper read on Beachemin, Hainsey, and Niinimaa, has yet to ice a #1 centreman , and has provided "misses" in each first round he's had his hands on.

Oh yeah, Bob really has his pulse on the game and knows talent.

I see Robert L , who writes the occasional good article and has a writing style I enjoy, is learning his phony craft well by writing pro management drivel that appeals to the slothful masses.
I hate to say it but this is an extremely ignorant (and dumb) post.

1) Beauchemin was not Gainey's fault. Dont even know how you dont know that.

2) Hainsey was also not his fault (You know, there was this other GM we had a while back called Savard, are you old enough to remember?)

3) Nimminnaneninain was not a mistake per say. Ribs had to be traded (per request of the owner) as a dump asap. Plus it was best for the rest of the team. Didnt you know that Dallas fans really want to get rid of his stupid ass now???

Gainey is not the head scout (that's Timmins). He reads the reports and lets Timmins make the picks (since he trusts his judgement. Gainey does not personally see these picks play). Its too bad that we didnt get that "real" no. 1 center that we've always wanted during his tenure, i admit. But to judge him based on hindsight is pretty shallow.

If there's someone you want to blame for the early picks, blame Timmins.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I hope Carey Price locks himself in a rink this summer to practice drills over and over. I know he's had terrible focus his whole career
How is winning Gold at the World Jr's, winning the Calder Cup, and after his first pro season, dropping 20 pounds in the summer terrible focus?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote