HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

A question for the goalers in the forum (note: relates with Anderson)

Old
07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
A question for the goalers in the forum (note: relates with Anderson)

I've never played goalie in my life but I am wondering why Craig Anderson sucked after the olympics. I thought it was because he needed rest but he got it during the olympic break (about 2 or so weeks). He didn't show any signs that he was slowing down around before the olympics but there was a noticeable difference in his play after (he was letting in the easier routine goals).

I've herd from goalies that the more shots they face the better they play. So I am wondering if that somehow applies to the number of games a goalie plays. Should goalies who've played as many games as anderson did before the olympics not take as long breaks? Does it effect the mentality?

...or did Anderson just need another extra 2 weeks off? lol

Just wondering if the break hurt, not helped, Anderson.

Last edited by chewey: 07-15-2010 at 10:14 AM.
chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Anderson did play ton of back to backs and it get's tiring. Even when you face 40+ plus shots in both games. Though as you said he had a 2 weeks off to rest and that results to the mental aspect of the game. He was probably at the games physically, but not mentally and you all guys know that hockey is more mental than physical. Another example of mental game is when Cloutier let the slapshot go in from centre ice. He questioned himself after that and when you start questioning yourself, you're going to let more and more goals in.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:32 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I am very, very, very far removed from an NHL goalie but whenever I play I try not to miss the forest for the trees. With me it's not about the shot count, the workload, how tired I am, focus, or even the score up on the overhead. I can only stop one shot at a time so all I think about is how to be ready for the next one

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Our team was just as poor after the Olympic break he got no support.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:53 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
A combination of things, but I think the biggest was the fact that they were forced to take a break.

He was out of rhythm.

Goalies love patterns and consistency and a solid rhythm. A constant pressure-filled workload is often better than taking big breaks in between games.

The team was rolling and playing with a ton of confidence, just like Andy was. I think once the break hit, he (and the team) slipped out of the "zone" that they were in.

The other two biggest factors IMO were fatigue for the team, as well as the team just not playing good hard, fast and aggressive hockey after the break.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

I think I remember him getting interviewed saying his timing was off when making the saves. Since practice is so much different then a game it makes sense...

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:13 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
A combination of things, but I think the biggest was the fact that they were forced to take a break.

He was out of rhythm.

Goalies love patterns and consistency and a solid rhythm. A constant pressure-filled workload is often better than taking big breaks in between games.

The team was rolling and playing with a ton of confidence, just like Andy was. I think once the break hit, he (and the team) slipped out of the "zone" that they were in.

The other two biggest factors IMO were fatigue for the team, as well as the team just not playing good hard, fast and aggressive hockey after the break.
Agree 100%.

I would also add that the first year of being 'the guy' takes a little bit of adjustment. I know when I went up to the Kootenai Colts, I was a 'callup' halfway thru the season, and I didn't play a single game during that first half year. During my first full year, I sat on the bench for pretty much the entire time. I played a total of 5 games during that season, and the rest was all practice. In my second full year, the guy above me was gone, and I was thrown into the fire as the starter, and it took a good chunk of that season to get acclimated to playing so many games. In my final season I was 100% comfortable and was loving it.

In the beginning though, that pressure isn't always easy to work through. Now granted I was just a 15 year old kid when I started playing there, but even at 28 I'm sure there is some adjustment for Andy at the NHL level.

Hopefully Craig can feel more comfortable this year and continue to provide what we need back there.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:35 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Our team was just as poor after the Olympic break he got no support.
Even if he got no support there was a difference in his own performance after the Olympic break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
I think I remember him getting interviewed saying his timing was off when making the saves. Since practice is so much different then a game it makes sense...
Errr.. not what I was thinking. I was wondering just what happened to him during the Olympic that had his play drop. Many posters were arguing that he needed a break and he got it. Did the break worsen his play is what I am wondering.

Tho by the sounds of the responses it was more mental lapse than physical which I was inclined to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Now granted I was just a 15 year old kid when I started playing there, but even at 28 I'm sure there is some adjustment for Andy at the NHL level.

Hopefully Craig can feel more comfortable this year and continue to provide what we need back there.
Consider Anderson is probably just as perverted as you are with girls I have good faith.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
NHL33*

As an NHL '97 guru, I think we can chalk this down to mental strain. Easily.

As a non-joke, does it really take that long for a goalie to get his rhythm back? Anderson was somewhat awful for a good stretch of games, not just a few in a row. It wasn't until Budaj got a game or two in a row that he reverted back to his old self.

One thing is for sure - that diving around / flopping / staying down / unbalancing act was pretty consistent throughout the season. Granted in the beginning he got away with it more than not.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote