HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avtsin signed

Old
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Guilliam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I want to see for our top 2 lines Dumont-Engsvist-Avstyn and Pacioretty-Desharnais-Plalushaj.
No Maxwell? Do you see him in the NHL or on the 3rd line in Hamilton (which owuld be unlikely since he's been on the top 6 the last two years..)?

Edit : sorry about the double-post, I don't know how to multiple quote...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Dumont's a winger. Desharnais is the best center the Dogs have bar none so I'd put him with him personally but we'll have to see how he looks at camp first.
I agree, if they want him to develop into a top 6 scorer than they should play him with Desharnais. It could really help him start off the year with confidence because Desharnais seems to help a lot of players be better in the AHL and a good start could really make the transition much easier for him.

I thought Dumont was a center? Didn't he play C in junior?

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
No Maxwell? Do you see him in the NHL or on the 3rd line in Hamilton (which owuld be unlikely since he's been on the top 6 the last two years..)?

Edit : sorry about the double-post, I don't know how to multiple quote...
3rd line for Maxwell, i really have no hope for this kid to do anything worthwhile in the NHL.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
3rd line for Maxwell, i really have no hope for this kid to do anything worthwhile in the NHL.
Be that as it may, I think he, at least, deserve to be a top 6 player in the AHL. I don't have much hope for the kid either with our newly found center depth. But I would consider trading him before putting him on the third line.

Old
08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
You compeltely missed my point. Except Metro, name a player that we lost taht was there in our bottom 6 last year at the start of the season? NONE!!!

- Lapierre was there and still is, but healthier. Is a vet.
- Moen also. Is a vet.
- Pyatt proved last year he can play. Not a vet, but somewhat proven. Not a complete unknown.
- Boyd is proven although unkown to most here. Boyd is a better Metro and as proven.

With all these facts, I actually dare someone to say that our starting bottom 6 this year is not better than last year's! And if you do, try and support your opinion with actual facts.
and what facts did you use ?

your analysis is purely subjective. Eller has played 7 games in the nhl.if you think that's a big enough sample to hail him as a solid 3rd/4th liner that can step in on the top 6 (like many here) fine... but facts are and truth is. lars eller ; unproven.

We chose not to sign moore, he was here , what difference does it make if he wasn't here at the start of the season ? we traded for him....because we NEEDED what he brought to the table. Sure I think our bottom 6 can be even better, but is it a sin to watch how they play before drinking the kool aid ?

pyatt proven ? not even close. He showed he could be decent, but he hasn't played a season in the nhl. He did good here and there in the playoffs, but a couple of games don't make him a lock in the NHL, let alone using the word ''proven''.

Lapierre, IF he plays like he did 2 years ago, WILL be proven. We have every reason to believe he will, but he's not a top tier 3rd line center, even at his best, on a miraculous stretch.

boyd is just like lapierre, should he have a great season, he'd be a proven bottom liner.

I just find that there are a lot of ifs and maybes on our bottom 6, and my only point is that I will wait for the season to start before I allow myself to say : '' our bottom 6 is better than last year's''

Just imagine Poupou and A.kost are still asleep from the get go (like the season, playoffs), and that moen moves with gio and gomez ... we'd have a bottom 6 composed entirely of unproven players. We'd have one of the most unexperienced bottom 6 in the league. And I have no problem with that, but before I can say ie : eller > metro or moore, I need to see him play more than 7 games, and you need to stop acting like you can see the future and rant when I'm just being realistic. Especially when your only argument is your gut feeling.

and the lecture about how detrimental for him it is to play in the AHL at 21 years old if he loses his spot on the team , that was the best part. See Eller needs to be good, good enough to play more than 13 min/ game . Making him play on a 3rd or 4th line is WAY worst than letting him play 20 mins on a first line in the AHL.

as for pacioretty, yes he played for us , and we all saw he wasn't ready, not sure what your point is. Don't bank on him making the team just yet.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 08-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:38 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Just tought that Eller spent last year with the Peoria Rivermen.
I know it is AHL but Peoria is in NA.
Seems he was the best scorer of his team in ppg.

BTW, is Peoria just beside Glendale (in Arizona)?
yeah you are abselutely right, I edited it, should have said the nhl. thought he had missed more games than that, my bad. thanks for the stats. its good news, still doesnt mean he's ready for the jump though...

Last edited by THE HOFF: 08-25-2010 at 01:44 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
habber24

I think with a salary cap, we have to have some rookies and entry level contracts in our bottom six to have success. I don't believe having more than 2 or 3 guys in our bottom 6making 2M or more. I remember when PG got Moore for a 2nd people wanted his head on a platter! Now they want him signed for 2 years and take the place of one of our young guys. If you think that no player in hamilton can take Moore's place we are in big trouble. And I doubt that Moore has much leadership intangibles, with Gionta, Cammy, Gorges, Markov, Gill, Hamrlik, Pleky, etc. I think we are safe to say that leadership won't be a problem with Moore gone.

habber24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I want to see for our top 2 lines Dumont-Engsvist-Avstyn and Pacioretty-Desharnais-Plalushaj.
I could see Pac and Palushaj on the same line since they know each well, but my concern with a Pac-Desharnais-Palushaj line is that all 3 are playmakers, although it might be good as it could perhaps get Pacioretty to start shooting more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Thanks a lot. Although I'm a bit disappointed by what you say about Conboy. I was hoping that he was consistent with his physical play and that he would be our guy to take care of the middleweights. Oh well, I guess I should rely my expectations on Schultz and White then...
Well with Conboy, it was his first full season in the AHL, so he's made good strides so far. Not saying he won't take the body and drop the gloves, he's going to bring some toughness for sure and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff but sometimes I get the impression he's trying too hard on other parts of his game that he forgets to use his best asset (physical game, size, speed) I do like the progress he's made in his all round game, as unlike say Jimmy Bonneau when he was with us in the past, he couldn't really do too much on the ice aside from fighting, Conboy can actually play and can even put some points on the board for sure.

I would say that if Conboy were to make it in the NHL as just a fighter, it wouldn't be much of a career, as I don't think he's a great fighter, but that's not to say he'll be a human punching bag ala Kostopolous when he was here. To me, Conboy has to be able to take a regular shift, if he's going to make it in the NHL, and it remains to be seen just how much more he will continue to progress. If he can keep up the level of progress he's been making since we drafted him then I could see him as a solid 4th liner that uses his size well, takes the body often, drops the gloves from time to time and puts some goals in the net.

I just think that some are hoping he's going to be a heavy weight for us, and perhaps he could but I don't see it. He's got a good frame, needs to fill out a bit more (I think he could use some improved lower body strenght), he can move up the ice quickly, he's not bad in his own end, he will battle in the corners and go to the front of the net, he'll drop the gloves here and there, throws some big hits that can really get the crowd into the game as he gets that 6'4 frame moving in a hurry and if opposing players aren't keeping an eye out for him, they will learn the hard way in the future. He's got decent hands, he actually had some nice goals this year and that was while playing mostly on the 4th line as he didn't get a lot of ice time.

Should be interesting to see how he does this year, if he can build off last season or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I thought Dumont was a center? Didn't he play C in junior?
He may have played center at one point but he was on the wing this year for sure and I recall him being on the wing the year before as well.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
I would say that if Conboy were to make it in the NHL as just a fighter, it wouldn't be much of a career, as I don't think he's a great fighter, but that's not to say he'll be a human punching bag ala Kostopolous when he was here. To me, Conboy has to be able to take a regular shift, if he's going to make it in the NHL, and it remains to be seen just how much more he will continue to progress. If he can keep up the level of progress he's been making since we drafted him then I could see him as a solid 4th liner that uses his size well, takes the body often, drops the gloves from time to time and puts some goals in the net.

I just think that some are hoping he's going to be a heavy weight for us, and perhaps he could but I don't see it. He's got a good frame, needs to fill out a bit more (I think he could use some improved lower body strenght), he can move up the ice quickly, he's not bad in his own end, he will battle in the corners and go to the front of the net, he'll drop the gloves here and there, throws some big hits that can really get the crowd into the game as he gets that 6'4 frame moving in a hurry and if opposing players aren't keeping an eye out for him, they will learn the hard way in the future. He's got decent hands, he actually had some nice goals this year and that was while playing mostly on the 4th line as he didn't get a lot of ice time.

Should be interesting to see how he does this year, if he can build off last season or not.
Thanks. If he can become the kind of player you're describing there I'll be a happy camper.

I've notice too, the couple of times that I saw him fight, that he would need to have a stronger lower body as he didn't seem to have a very good balance. I'm thinking that if he improves in that area, he'll become a better fighter.

Last edited by Guilliam: 08-26-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: screwed up with the quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:38 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Sorry to be out of subject but can you tell me when training camp start?

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
There's a thread about that, the rookie camp begins the 13th of september, while the main camp is a week later, probably the 20th, as the first pre-season game is the 22nd.

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
sandman08

Quote:
I could see Pac and Palushaj on the same line since they know each well, but my concern with a Pac-Desharnais-Palushaj line is that all 3 are playmakers, although it might be good as it could perhaps get Pacioretty to start shooting more.

Well with Conboy, it was his first full season in the AHL, so he's made good strides so far. Not saying he won't take the body and drop the gloves, he's going to bring some toughness for sure and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff but sometimes I get the impression he's trying too hard on other parts of his game that he forgets to use his best asset (physical game, size, speed) I do like the progress he's made in his all round game, as unlike say Jimmy Bonneau when he was with us in the past, he couldn't really do too much on the ice aside from fighting, Conboy can actually play and can even put some points on the board for sure.

He may have played center at one point but he was on the wing this year for sure and I recall him being on the wing the year before as well.
If my memory serves me correctly you hate comparing prospects to nhlers so for that i apologize but, in your opinion, would it be safe to say that conboy could turn out to be a chris neil type player in the future (or better yet a poor mans chris neil given neil) or am i off base with my interpretation of what you stated..

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
This thread hasn't been on-topic for a while. I clicked to see if there was anything new on Avtsin and I find myself getting an analysis of Andrew Conboy's skating technique.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This thread hasn't been on-topic for a while. I clicked to see if there was anything new on Avtsin and I find myself getting an analysis of Andrew Conboy's skating technique.
Sorry about that...I've heard that Avtsin skating technique is great though...

Old
08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
AVTSIN SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/amandacstein

Comment from Amanda:
Quote:
While just practicing & playing around #Avtsin looks able to keep up with the big boys. Though I still think Hamilton is the place for him.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
AVTSIN SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/amandacstein

Comment from Amanda:

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Nedved

getting on the hype train.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:04 PM
TankEller*

Avtsin is a great prospect, seriously. It was a great, great pick, especially at round #4. He sure has nothing to do in the CHL. He's AHL bound, with possibly a call-up at some point this year if his game is improving in a linear fashion on NA rinks.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Really hope so: KHL clearly > AHL.
Those KHL players are big boys.
I agree.. But more important is learning to play on a North American ice surface.. But if he starts playing in Hamilton and lights it up, I'm sure the Habs will not hesitate to call him up..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Avtsin is a great prospect, seriously. It was a great, great pick, especially at round #4. He sure has nothing to do in the CHL. He's AHL bound, with possibly a call-up at some point this year if his game is improving in a linear fashion on NA rinks.
Seriously. It's clearly a case of we picked the right one (that actually really wanted to play in N.A.). If he were born here, I have no doubt that he would have been taken in the 2nd round, minimum.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Seriously. It's clearly a case of we picked the right one (that actually really wanted to play in N.A.). If he were born here, I have no doubt that he would have been taken in the 2nd round, minimum.
It further proved he wanted to be here, when he wasn't even talked about being a 1st round pick and he was actually over in Canada for the draft.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:29 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Not sure how good Amanda Stein is in terms of a scout, so I'll wait before I get TOO excited. Yes its promising but let the results speak for themselves.

I think my January we will know if he is a steal or not.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Not sure how good Amanda Stein is in terms of a scout, so I'll wait before I get TOO excited. Yes its promising but let the results speak for themselves.

I think my January we will know if he is a steal or not.
Well he did score a goal against pretty above average NHLers... regardless of her scouting skills, that's freakin' impressive.

Right now, I think we should be able to get exited. Even if he doesn't pan out, he's still a great prospect as we speak.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Sebaldian

Skating again today.

Quote:
On the ice this aft: Frolik, Michalekx2, havlat, Avtsin, Talbot, Darche. More on their way out.
http://twitter.com/amandacstein/statuses/22294548939

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
the kid really seems to want it.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote