HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else bored???

Old
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Pantherfan12

vCash: 500
Anyone else bored???

Sorry folks, I am just bored right now waiting to see if the Panthers go after and sign someone else. Was just wondering if any of you would like to sign any UFA/RFA that's still or rumored to be available?

Frolov
Kovy
Mitchell
Semin
Gagne
Sharp
Hartnell
White
Ryan

Just to name a few, I keep hearing their names pop up on rumor boards or websites, just trying to find something to do to pass the time until opening night.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Boooooth10

Why? We're trying to make the team as bad as possible so we can get the #1 pick. I guess you didn't get the memo.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Are you kidding? We're the Panthers. The offseason is the most exciting time of the year for us!

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Are you kidding? We're the Panthers. The offseason is the most exciting time of the year for us!
No, that's the draft. The offseason is anti-climactic. Every year.

Looking over the "top 50 remaining UFA" list this morning I wouldn't object to Madden, Belanger, or former Panther Ryan Johnson being added to shore up the back lines. But that's about it - Kovy's too expensive...WAY too expensive...Frolov might be worth a gamble at the right price...

Then again, if this 2011 draft will be a weak one (I've seen someone saying that but don't know what to believe these days) maybe going after an RFA would be worthwhile this year. Sharp?

07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Meh. Keep the team the way it is and go for 1st overall.

Unless a great deal falls into Tallon's lap, that is.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Pantherfan12

Although I do understand and agree that a successful franchise is built from great drafting and developing the prospects, wouldn't you rather have a PROVEN NHL'er then a POTENTIAL player? I know Kovy is expensive and I highly doubt he'll take anything less than he was looking for to come to FLA, and who knows if Tallon would try to offer Semin a contract but those kind of players help bring your team to a whole other level. I've heard Kovy can be a one dimentional player, same goes for Frolov, but I'd much rather have a player of that caliber then a prospect.

Old
07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
harv3317

sign artuykin!!! size, speed agitator with some skills.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

No, keep the team on the current track. Tank City. We're not going to sign Kovy or anyone like that. So signing anyone else would do nothing except potentially take us out of a lottery pick.

About the 2011 draft, it is weak as far as depth goes but the 1st round is fine.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

im bored as hell. good thing nfl training camp starts soon. GO VIKINGS!

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
With all the Heat news going on, Im DEFINITELY not bored! I do want my fix of hockey, and while opening night is still about 80 days away, the boredom should come to an end soon. What sux is that Im going to have to shell out some extra cash this year. Not only will I have to pay the 90 euros for the NHL package from ESPN, but I think Im going to get the international package from NBA.com, which Im thinking is going to be about 120 euros, or more, plus another 90 euros for the playoff package from NBA.com, once the Heat get in. Im excited about the Fins too, but Im not going for three packages, thats for sure. I know I can find links to watch the NFL.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
With all the Heat news going on, Im DEFINITELY not bored! I do want my fix of hockey, and while opening night is still about 80 days away, the boredom should come to an end soon. What sux is that Im going to have to shell out some extra cash this year. Not only will I have to pay the 90 euros for the NHL package from ESPN, but I think Im going to get the international package from NBA.com, which Im thinking is going to be about 120 euros, or more, plus another 90 euros for the playoff package from NBA.com, once the Heat get in. Im excited about the Fins too, but Im not going for three packages, thats for sure. I know I can find links to watch the NFL.
is the nhl package that cheap? i was thinking it would at least be as much as sunday ticket cause it is so many more games. i dont think im gonna go to many hockey games this year because of the suckitude of the team and because Yormark is such a giant tool, so maybe ill put the money into the nhl package so i can watch both kings and panthers games

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
is the nhl package that cheap? i was thinking it would at least be as much as sunday ticket cause it is so many more games. i dont think im gonna go to many hockey games this year because of the suckitude of the team and because Yormark is such a giant tool, so maybe ill put the money into the nhl package so i can watch both kings and panthers games
Well its the international package from ESPN. They have an early bird special, and its 89 euros if I pay before a certain date. They havent updated the site yet, but as soon as they do, Im re-upping. I know the team is not going to be that great, but I will never stop buying the package, unless I move back of course.

Im afraid about the NBA package though. Its going to be a lot more than the NHL, but I have to get it.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
No, keep the team on the current track. Tank City. We're not going to sign Kovy or anyone like that. So signing anyone else would do nothing except potentially take us out of a lottery pick.

About the 2011 draft, it is weak as far as depth goes but the 1st round is fine.
You really think we're better off going for that #1 overall pick next year, then trying to sign Kovy and go afer Semin?? I mean is that next #1 prospect in the draft gonna be that great that we need to tank to get him? I know Kovy and Semin are both pretty much impossible, but having the thought of the Panthers being garbage for another season just doesn't sit well with me. I know in the past we didn't have Tallon directing this team, and things are looking better than they ever have but look at our past. 10 years of no playoffs with countless rebuilds. Bo, Horton, Stewart,Shvidki are our 1st round saviors and where are they now? I know I'm being nieve and too optimistic but maybe the players Tallon went after are those hard-working, nothing but heart players willing to give it their all to win, and maybe adding a guy like Kovy or Semin, or getting Gagne or someone with some real, pure talent can put this team over the age. The 96 team didn't have tons of superstars, they had heart players with a desire to win and although they didn't win the CUP, it sure was exciting and they made a name for themselves.

Old
07-16-2010, 05:05 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
You really think we're better off going for that #1 overall pick next year, then trying to sign Kovy and go afer Semin?? I mean is that next #1 prospect in the draft gonna be that great that we need to tank to get him? I know Kovy and Semin are both pretty much impossible, but having the thought of the Panthers being garbage for another season just doesn't sit well with me. I know in the past we didn't have Tallon directing this team, and things are looking better than they ever have but look at our past. 10 years of no playoffs with countless rebuilds. Bo, Horton, Stewart,Shvidki are our 1st round saviors and where are they now? I know I'm being nieve and too optimistic but maybe the players Tallon went after are those hard-working, nothing but heart players willing to give it their all to win, and maybe adding a guy like Kovy or Semin, or getting Gagne or someone with some real, pure talent can put this team over the age. The 96 team didn't have tons of superstars, they had heart players with a desire to win and although they didn't win the CUP, it sure was exciting and they made a name for themselves.
i want to kill myself as a finn knowing larsson will be playing on team sweden. thats how high i am on larsson, he is an AMAZING talent. even couturier has extreme skill and is a large #1 center we are missing.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Boooooth10

I think you need to lower your expectations a bit dude...

Building through the draft is the right thing to do.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Wait and see the contract Kovy signs with the kings and then tell me you honestly would want the panthers to do the same. Gagne would be cool but he's a left winger and thats the last thing we need right now. And Semin?....meh...... not the answer.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
We're not going to get Kovy, we're just not. We can't afford him anyway, even if he wanted to come here, which he doesn't. We will not give up the picks and prospects necessary to acquire Semin, Tallon is building through the draft and he is hoarding picks, not trading them away. Acquiring Semin or Gagne is just not part of Tallon's plan for building this team, unless we can get them for a song. I don't think Tallon wants Semin anyway, he's not the kind of player he's looking to bring in here. He has a rep of disappearing too much, and that's a no-no for Tallon.

The best thing for this team is to tank another season. That's the best way for us to get elite talent. Some picks work out, some don't. But if you amass enough of them, you will get a lot of good players eventually. We are building an intimidating prospect pool. I think what we are doing by continuing to build it up is better than trading some top prospects/picks away for Gagne or Semin to make some desperate grab at a playoff spot.

Old
07-17-2010, 01:10 AM
KW

Quote:
We're not going to get Kovy, we're just not. We can't afford him anyway, even if he wanted to come here, which he doesn't. We will not give up the picks and prospects necessary to acquire Semin, Tallon is building through the draft and he is hoarding picks, not trading them away. Acquiring Semin or Gagne is just not part of Tallon's plan for building this team, unless we can get them for a song. I don't think Tallon wants Semin anyway, he's not the kind of player he's looking to bring in here. He has a rep of disappearing too much, and that's a no-no for Tallon.

The best thing for this team is to tank another season. That's the best way for us to get elite talent. Some picks work out, some don't. But if you amass enough of them, you will get a lot of good players eventually. We are building an intimidating prospect pool. I think what we are doing by continuing to build it up is better than trading some top prospects/picks away for Gagne or Semin to make some desperate grab at a playoff spot.
I think you hit on some very important points here.

One is that we're just not going to go after the megamillion FAs, and I agree with that. In today's NHL you have to grow your own superstars, that's just the way it is.

Another point concerns Semin and some of the other Russians, sadly including Ovechkin if we want to be honest. Come playoff time they disappear, as they disappeared in the Olympics, where they were a complete joke. Maybe that's been a fluke but it's happened too much lately to completely ignore. What's up with the Russians? So much skill and so little grit.

Third, I have a much better trust in Tallon than any other GM we've had the last decade. That's why I don't mind waiting. JM was ok, but I always felt that the team he put together that "almost" made the playoffs was sort of close to his ceiling. With Tallon I feel that at least in principle competing for the Cup is the ceiling, as it should be. I'm not negative, but instead look forward even to this season, even if we end up last, I expect it to be different and entertaining.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:25 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
tallon builds through the draft and you guys just made out like bandits at this last draft

in 5 years you will be happy that he did not go wild and spend money like he did his alst year with the hawks

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:24 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

Agreed. With all our expiring contracts this season, I think we will end up with another monster draft. 2011 will be interesting to see what Tallon does with all the cap space.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Pantherfan12

Look, I am not saying to go out and sign all the high priced or overpriced FA's ( i.e. NYR) but I just want to know if next year's draft going to be that deep, or at least have that much talent at the top of the draft that we really should tank and try to get that #1 overall? What about FA's next season? I know we're going to be unloading a bunch of contracts, and free'ing up cap room, so will there be more interersting and enticing players for the Panthers to go after, the one's Tallon is looking for?

Old
07-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Look, I am not saying to go out and sign all the high priced or overpriced FA's ( i.e. NYR) but I just want to know if next year's draft going to be that deep, or at least have that much talent at the top of the draft that we really should tank and try to get that #1 overall? What about FA's next season? I know we're going to be unloading a bunch of contracts, and free'ing up cap room, so will there be more interersting and enticing players for the Panthers to go after, the one's Tallon is looking for?
The top end of next year's draft is fine, a lot can happen in a year but it looks like it's shaping up to be better than this past year's. Adam Larsson has blown away Hedman's numbers and achievements in the SEL and Team Sweden already and some experts say he was already NHL ready last year. He is a physical specimen, he's already 6'2" and 220 lbs. and is a great skater. Sean Couturier is a big center from the QMJHL who led the league in scoring last year. He has been identified as a kid to watch for a couple years now. He is a super talent who will probably have the highest point total in the Q next year in the last few years. An offensive powerhouse.

Who knows if we will go after star free agents next summer, but by not tying ourselves up right now we are keeping our flexibility open. If we need to keep the payroll low for a couple years, then that's what we need to do and this will allow us to keep guys like Frolik and Kulikov who will be due raises in 1-2 years. Having great talented youth on entry level contracts helps with that.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Take a peek at the Cats roster at this point. They won't need to "try" and tank. It's a forgone conclusion. I understand your frustration, but let's be honest, this blow up should have happened years ago. About 8 to be exact. Kovy is not an option at this time. Enjoy the ride.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Take a peek at the Cats roster at this point. They won't need to "try" and tank. It's a forgone conclusion. I understand your frustration, but let's be honest, this blow up should have happened years ago. About 8 to be exact. Kovy is not an option at this time. Enjoy the ride.
All too true. We are going to suck big time next season. our current roster makes us about the worst team in the NHL. No offense, weak defense, strong in goal.

I do expect Tallon to try to tinker with the roster a bit more this off season, but with an eye towards building for the future. If they aren't traded this off season, come next year's trade deadline, we can expect Vokoun, McCabe, Stillman and Dvorak to be traded for draft picks. At the end of next season, we will be about $23 million under the cap with 9 players under contract.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Knightmare

Guys, I dont understand why everyone knows were going to tank. Our teams just as good as it was last year. There are a lot of "ifs" but I think were going to shock a lot of people. This is a rebound year for Higgins and could very possibly be a breakout year for Frolik and Grabner. And who knows, maybe a Repik comes in and scores 20. As long as Booth can stay relatively healthy, he can prob score 25-30. Our bottom 6 is ok. Offensively I'm confident we can get lucky and produce. Our D is the only thing that worries me. But Vokie is on top of the world and at his peak, so he can handle it. I'm excited about this season. We're making the playoffs this year...

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote