HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

In other shocking news, Butch Davis still cheats

Old
07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
ONO94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Are you smoking crack... Butch was dirty as hell at Miami, I know more than a few sports agents from back in that day.... They tell many interesting stories... TOB will be here next year and at least non one can ever question that man, he is probably the cleanest man in college coaching...

Blake, your DL coach, has been paying players and hooking them up with agents for years, every where he goes they find dirty on the scum bag... Put your head in the sand though, that's what all UNC guys do... I also grew up and was best friends with a kid who's father was on his staff in Cleveland and trust me when I tell you, Butch is not a good coach or a good man

One--the investigation is about forces outside UNC football--not Butch or ANY coach for UNC

Two--Watch the 30 for 30 special on Miami--multiple ex-players and hangers on talk about Butch cleaning up the program and taking away the "swagger"

Three--I never said UNC was perfectly clean and if you think state or TOB is any cleaner--the sand must be thick in both your eyes and ears.

As for the Cleveland thing--the former head of security for the Browns sent his son to UNC to play for Butch and many of his ex players have leaned on Butch for recruiting help with their sons--oh the hate!!!!

As for TOB--he was under contract at BC and sending resumes to every college who would listen--including UNC--but still telling kids and parents he would be there when they graduate. Not really any different from Butch at UNC. And players accusing him of telling them they have to play while injured or they are off the team--that's clean. And it seems state has had more issues with discipline since TOB has gotten there than UNC has had under Butch....just amazing how some can hate teams more than they love their own....

ONO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONO94 View Post
One--the investigation is about forces outside UNC football--not Butch or ANY coach for UNC

Two--Watch the 30 for 30 special on Miami--multiple ex-players and hangers on talk about Butch cleaning up the program and taking away the "swagger"

Three--I never said UNC was perfectly clean and if you think state or TOB is any cleaner--the sand must be thick in both your eyes and ears.

As for the Cleveland thing--the former head of security for the Browns sent his son to UNC to play for Butch and many of his ex players have leaned on Butch for recruiting help with their sons--oh the hate!!!!

As for TOB--he was under contract at BC and sending resumes to every college who would listen--including UNC--but still telling kids and parents he would be there when they graduate. Not really any different from Butch at UNC. And players accusing him of telling them they have to play while injured or they are off the team--that's clean. And it seems state has had more issues with discipline since TOB has gotten there than UNC has had under Butch....just amazing how some can hate teams more than they love their own....
It's called lack of institutional control... And I have watched the U and in NO way did they say Butch took them away from what they were doing in the past... Sorry... In fact it's sitting on my dvr right now... If you think TOB runs a dirty program, you are a complete idiot...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

But, we don't have to argue about it, it's obvious those guys were exposed to agents and in fact, Blake was DIRECTLY involved in it, like he has been in the past, talk to anyone in the major college coaching circles about Blake and his past...

We don't have to argue as Canes fans, but at least it passes the off season

Old
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
ONO94

If you think state's program is in any way cleaner--with the exception of no one having pro prospects--you are the much bigger idiot

ONO94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Can't speak to an idiot like you, so we'll agree to disagree...

Old
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

At least there is a locked thread coming, haven't had one of them in a while

Old
07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Can't speak to an idiot like you, so we'll agree to disagree...
Are you capable of having a rational discussion, or is everyone who disagrees with you an idiot?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Says the guy who injected the smoking crack comment... I am COMPLETELY capable of having good discussions and am doing so on this topic on many boards, but when people respond like some here, it degenerates quickly... People have decided to deflect what this topic was about, sure I was giving a little jab and UNC fans, like they do year round too, but instead they want to talk about something which has nothing to do with if UNC is cheating, which they are, or not... So deflect the obvious lack of institutional control that Butch is famous for by bringing up bowl games and basketball...

I am one of the more rational argues that you probably know, but I do call a duck a duck and come off sharp edged occasionally... Sam, ur not know for your rational arguments either, it's a discussion board and College athletics in this area I guess brings out more emotion... Well in me it does, since I graduated from NC State, while I know most UNC fans have never attended a class there, they are just as passionate... NC State is an actual part of my life, two degrees hanging on my wall, so when attack I guess I fight back a bit too hard and quick... But, so do the UNC fans so I should be more patient and understanding of that...

I just want one UNC fan to discuss the money, bentleys, sunglasses, trips, etc... Attack the issue, not divert...

Old
07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Says the guy who injected the smoking crack comment... I am COMPLETELY capable of having good discussions and am doing so on this topic on many boards, but when people respond like some here, it degenerates quickly... People have decided to deflect what this topic was about, sure I was giving a little jab and UNC fans, like they do year round too, but instead they want to talk about something which has nothing to do with if UNC is cheating, which they are, or not... So deflect the obvious lack of institutional control that Butch is famous for by bringing up bowl games and basketball...
Yes, because my statement wasn't tongue-in-cheek at all. I fail to see the similarity to a wise-ass comment and calling someone an idiot.

Old
07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Yes, because my statement wasn't tongue-in-cheek at all. I fail to see the similarity to a wise-ass comment and calling someone an idiot.

Well, you were calling me a liar or an idiot with creative words... It's up to the reader to interpret I guess... I apologize for the idiot comments... When people deflect and argue about an off topic, they usual get responses like that... But it doesn't excuse my response...

I'm also doing my damn chores too before the woman gets home, that's got me foul LOL

Old
07-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Fact: Both UNC and State fans have far too high of an opinion of themselves to have a rational discussion in the first place.

Go Pirates.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Fact: Both UNC and State fans have far too high of an opinion of themselves to have a rational discussion in the first place.

Go Pirates.
Now that is a funny post... We need a pirate fan to inject reason and let us know where our place is in the packing order

That was a nice break from this discussion, bravo LOL

Old
07-16-2010, 04:18 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:

Go Pirates.
Disagree...this is a post that will not be topped v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
In other news:

Old
07-16-2010, 07:03 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Ole Ball Coach says hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Don't worry, both Pack and Heels fans...this man has your number.

9/3/09 - @ NC State W 7-3
8/28/08 - NC State W 34-0
10/13/07 - @ UNC W 21-15

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:11 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
The Ole Ball Coach says hello
Never played?

Old
07-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
But at least App State has something to back up their talk. Even if they are trophies from a fake division

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Even if they are trophies from a fake division
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3008022

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

In the interest of Hurricane Nation amity, I'd like to think this thread does not exist. Bad form. If I recall, there have been plenty of player offseason problems in west Raleigh too, which also have no place here. Especially since we know VERY little about what is going on, and the people you make accusations about here are not even part of the "inquiry." Unless you happen to work for the NCAA or can offer some independent, verifiable proof.

But I did enjoy the App-Michigan highlights (but not the 10 iterations of the fight song).

Last edited by Citizen Cane: 07-16-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:09 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:

I just want one UNC fan to discuss the money, bentleys, sunglasses, trips, etc... Attack the issue, not divert...
As a Carolina fan, but not one who's real invested in it (sister went there for a few years, different school now):

Welcome to college athletics. If you think that there are BCS schools anywhere that don't give those kinds of perks under the table, you really are thick. It's part of the world of college athletics- the kids are quite plainly and simply pros who are not permitted to be paid above board. Schools compete for them in what's a bit of a shadow world in terms of money, perks and promises. The NCAA makes a show of trying to keep it 'clean', but it will never stop precisely because of the NCAA and the money that gets raked in hand over fist by even the weaker teams. The NCAA knows that, and as long as it can keep it from being too blatant, they're not going to do anything substantial. Vacating wins? Oh lord, they're going to appear as "win vacated by x" in the history books. The money's been made, the championship rings given, the event watched by millions. You can't put it back in the bag.

If you think fancy cars given by donors, sunglasses and large expense funds are in any way, shape or form unique to a few schools and coaches you need to have another think. If you actually care about the amateur bullcarp the NCAA prattles on about in relation to the money sports, then I would advise not paying too much attention to anything but the actual game broadcasts. You can maintain your ignorance and pretend that they really are students, risking their bodies and the possibility of millions of dollars in the pros just so they can get their degree as a fallback plan in case things don't work out, like any respectable kid would, and that they'll forsake the sports world to become professionals once they spend four years at a school and graduate.

Or you can accept the darker side of the NCAA and realize that they exist to make money with a labor system that takes teenagers with no desire and often little ability to learn and competes for their services while doing what they can under the table to come play for them and make the school's athletic department millions of dollars,with the players only risking their health and career earnings because they are forced into by the NFL's (and NBA's) labor agreement(s).

You have those two choices. But please, please don't feign outrage over this sort of thing- it happens, and is a huge part of every college football program. If you know enough about the details of this, you know enough to know that it happens everywhere.

So as a somewhat UNC fan, here's my comment. Get down off your high horse. Ignore it, accept it, or stop watching, because until the NCAA admits it's a pro league, it ain't going away.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:04 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I always love the "well, we're not the only ones doing it!" and the "but NCAA football is amateur in name only" defenses whenever a team is caught or suspected of major violations. So predictable.

Those poor big time sport "exploited" athletes... getting free tuition, room, board and medical treatment for 4-5 years while they wait to hopefully become pros. I'd so much rather be a normal person who struggles to pay the ever-increasing, astronomical tuition rates in a ****** economy!

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:05 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
In the interest of Hurricane Nation amity, I'd like to think this thread does not exist. Bad form.
Agreed. Plenty of other message boards that focus on college athletics to discuss this. This thread could only go one direction.

07-17-2010, 10:29 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I always love the "well, we're not the only ones doing it!" and the "but NCAA football is amateur in name only" defenses whenever a team is caught or suspected of major violations. So predictable.

Those poor big time sport "exploited" athletes... getting free tuition, room, board and medical treatment for 4-5 years while they wait to hopefully become pros. I'd so much rather be a normal person who struggles to pay the ever-increasing, astronomical tuition rates in a ****** economy!
It's not a defense. It's simply a widely agreed upon understanding. Whenever something like this comes out, rival team fans use it as a way to knock these other school's down a peg. That's really all that happens(unless they receive postseason bans). As said, who cares about vacated wins? I'm not going to forget that USC was the champs a couple years ago just because the NCAA told me to.

Old
07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

None of TOB's clean image will help the team when Cincinnati comes down to West Raleigh on September 16th and puts 40 on the Pack.

Go Cats!!

Sorry had to get that in there.

Last edited by faulkingdynamic: 07-17-2010 at 11:18 AM.
faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
How the heck are they going to do without Kelly anyway? Butch Jones is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but Kelly has won everywhere he's gone, and fast.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

There a couple reasons why a trip inside the ACC wont be a problem. Central Michigan's offense was better and more diverse under Butch than it was under Kelly. The OC Bajakian is a legit offensive mind. Butch was smart enough to change the defense back to a 4-3 since they didnt have the personel to play the 3-4 they "tried" to play last year. The defensive coaches are much better than Kelly's group and it isnt close. Butch's offense will score alot but wont put the defense on the field for 40 plus minutes like Kelly's did.

There is no doubt that Kelly will win at ND and was great for UC. But the common thought that there will be a dropoff i think is misguided. They wont go 12-1 this season but the team could be a better team. And the future looks even brighter since Butch's recruiting classes are better than Kelly's. He is building on what Kelly left him, not just keeping it afloat.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote