HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Labbé: Leblanc to play in Harvard next season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
  #26
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
That's ridiculous. The guy is being smart.

What if he gets a major injury in his entry level deal? What's next? At least he will have a backup plan, unlike most of the other players getting drafted out of the CHL with no education.
You have no clue what you are talking about. Most players coming out of the CHL with no education? Have you heard of the scholarship packages that most players in the CHL have?

If you want a university education after playing in the CHL, you can go after you play and a lot of it is paid for.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:17 AM
  #27
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Leblanc is the anti-Subban.

While Subban does everything he can to better himself as a hockey player, Leblanc cares more about his studies than hockey. Leblanc doesn't even care enough to play in a decent league. That says a lot about his actually pro potential. He has talent, but talent is nothing without determination.

Leblanc should have been honest in his interviews that hockey was secondary to him. I guess he's one of those guys who just wanted to be drafted as high as possible and had no further aspirations as a hockey player.
Agreed.

But the Habs HAD to draft the local guy.

They just HAD to do it.

If he was passionate about the game he would say:

"**** school, man!... I'm going to work on my skating, shooting, and playmaking and become the best NHLer my talent level is capable of"

His decision says a lot about where his priorities are at.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
  #28
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Hard to blame him, the Q might be better training hockey-wise, but not a difficult choice between playing/living at Harvard first class or being in the Q, billiting & riding a bus around small towns in northern pepsi land.

Plus whatever you guys crying about his dedication have no idea what his gym, training & practice regimin is, if anything he could be working harder at Harvard since he is not spending so much time on a bus and has better access to facilities.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
  #29
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Leblanc is the anti-Subban.

While Subban does everything he can to better himself as a hockey player, Leblanc cares more about his studies than hockey. Leblanc doesn't even care enough to play in a decent league. That says a lot about his actually pro potential. He has talent, but talent is nothing without determination.

Leblanc should have been honest in his interviews that hockey was secondary to him. I guess he's one of those guys who just wanted to be drafted as high as possible and had no further aspirations as a hockey player.

And we're surprised about his decision? Not really.

For your first bolded comment, as to his development, we'll see. He has his own goals & priorities and he has to follow them.

If this doesn't suit us... too bad. If it doesn't jive with the Canadiens plans for now, that's the way it is.

If it doesn't work out for the Canadiens down the road, for that matter, that's the way it goes sometimes. Ask Columbus about some kid called Filatov. Ask Phoenix about about Blake Wheeler. Ask Québec about Eric Lindros. I'm certain there are some more.

As to kids who stayed in the US college system and then had a good career in the NHL, for example, there's Ryan Miller, Marty Turco, Dominic Moore, George Parros, Ken Dryden, Joe Nieuwendyk, Mike Grier, Ted Drury, Ben Eaves and, of course, Brian Gionta among many others.

Now, to comment on your second bolded comment: "no further aspirations as a hockey player", you DON'T know what are his inner motives. No more needs to be said about that.



Here's a couple of sites for further reading, in case any of you want to make a more informed opinion.

http://www.danbylsma.com/askDanAnswer.asp?q=54
http://www.letsplayhockey.com/957russo.html
.
.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:30 AM
  #30
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
If he was passionate about the game he would say:

"**** school, man!... I'm going to work on my skating, shooting, and playmaking and become the best NHLer my talent level is capable of"

Actually, no. If he was a typical jock, he would say that.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
  #31
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
The article pretty much says that barring a surprise, Leblang will go back to Harvard this season, and will not play in the Q.


What do you think? Will it slow his development?
I don't know Labbe but the last thing I heard was that he wasn't even going to make a decision until after the wjc camp. So while it's expected that he will go back to Havard, which I don't see why people are so upset with, things can always change. If he does go to Havard, it does really suck for the juniors, as they paid a steep price to get his rights.

I don't think playing at Havard or the Q will effect his development much in either direction. At Havard he'll be playing against older, bigger, stronger players, in the Q he would get to play a ton of games on a team that stands a good shot of winning it all and going to the Memorial Cup.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
  #32
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
He should have listened to the posters here and not go after a free education.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:50 AM
  #33
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
He should have listened to the posters here and not go after a free education.
Good one.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
  #34
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 500
I can understand the argument that Leblanc isn't being as challenged at Harvard as he would be in the Q, and that it makes it hard to evaluate him against his peers. I fully grok that. What I don't get is people who downplay his game *because* of this. I mean, the guy has been dominant everywhere he played. That is a fact. We can argue that maybe he wouldn't be as dominant in the CHL, but you can't argue that every time he's on the ice, he's a top player. As long as a prospect keeps doing that, it's really hard to criticize him.

It's like a top student in a crappy school. One could say he wouldn't be as dominant as a student in a fancy private school, but to call him a poor student just because his school is crappy? That doesn't make any sense.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
  #35
HabsFanVT
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
He should have listened to the posters here and not go after a free education.
Ivy league schools can't give out Scholarships for athletics, so unless he is getting an Academic one he is paying for this on his own. Says a lot about the kid if that is the case, but I'm sure Harvard pulled some strings to get him there on a discounted ride.

HabsFanVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
  #36
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,607
vCash: 1000
To those who think Leblanc is throwing away his career by staying in college, well read this quick list and tell me if it hurt the following players career in the NHL:

Mike Cammalleri
Jay Pandolfo
Keith Tkachuck
Tony Amonte

Scott Lachance
Rick D'Pietro
Adrian Acouin
Dan Locotoure
Shawn Bates
Chris Drury
Mike Grier
Tom Poti
Ryan Whitney
Freddy Meyer
Scotty Young
Brind'Amour, Rod
Carter, Anson
Hall, Adam
Horcoff, Shawn
Keith, Duncan
Slater, Jim
Smolinski, Bryan
Woolley, Jason
York, Mike
Ryan Miller
J.M. Liles
Andrew Hutchinson
Mike Weaver


And for a really good list of college players in the NHL, follow this link: (PDF file)

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/CollegetoNHL.pdf

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:12 AM
  #37
lillypad33
Registered User
 
lillypad33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
There are a few facts that people need to know.

1) There are no athletic scholarships at Harvard. Louis is paying his own way.

2) If your studies at Harvard are interrupted, you can finish them whenever you want. ie... if he were to play hockey somewhere else, he can go back.

Say what you like... his hockey developement is not going to be quite the same in Harvard as it would be in the AHL.

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:13 AM
  #38
lillypad33
Registered User
 
lillypad33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
To those who think Leblanc is throwing away his career by staying in college, well read this quick list and tell me if it hurt the following players career in the NHL:

Mike Cammalleri
Jay Pandolfo
Keith Tkachuck
Tony Amonte

Scott Lachance
Rick D'Pietro
Adrian Acouin
Dan Locotoure
Shawn Bates
Chris Drury
Mike Grier
Tom Poti
Ryan Whitney
Freddy Meyer
Scotty Young
Brind'Amour, Rod
Carter, Anson
Hall, Adam
Horcoff, Shawn
Keith, Duncan
Slater, Jim
Smolinski, Bryan
Woolley, Jason
York, Mike
Ryan Miller
J.M. Liles
Andrew Hutchinson
Mike Weaver


And for a really good list of college players in the NHL, follow this link: (PDF file)

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/CollegetoNHL.pdf

Take a look at the Harvard Alumni.... not exactly the best list in the world.
To me, if you're not going to North Dakota, I don't want you in college!

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:13 AM
  #39
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
To those who think Leblanc is throwing away his career by staying in college, well read this quick list and tell me if it hurt the following players career in the NHL:

Mike Cammalleri
Jay Pandolfo
Keith Tkachuck
Tony Amonte

Scott Lachance
Rick D'Pietro
Adrian Acouin
Dan Locotoure
Shawn Bates
Chris Drury
Mike Grier
Tom Poti
Ryan Whitney
Freddy Meyer
Scotty Young
Brind'Amour, Rod
Carter, Anson
Hall, Adam
Horcoff, Shawn
Keith, Duncan
Slater, Jim
Smolinski, Bryan
Woolley, Jason
York, Mike
Ryan Miller
J.M. Liles
Andrew Hutchinson
Mike Weaver


And for a really good list of college players in the NHL, follow this link: (PDF file)

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/CollegetoNHL.pdf
And how many of them played against such a crappy system as Harvard?

Michigan is a great place for hockey. Harvard? No. Just no. It works when players have great abilities and a great natural talent to improve quicker. But guys like Leblanc, who are less of a natural type of guy than a lot of guys on this list, need to play as much as possible to grow better.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:13 AM
  #40
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I can understand the argument that Leblanc isn't being as challenged at Harvard as he would be in the Q, and that it makes it hard to evaluate him against his peers. I fully grok that. What I don't get is people who downplay his game *because* of this. I mean, the guy has been dominant everywhere he played. That is a fact. We can argue that maybe he wouldn't be as dominant in the CHL, but you can't argue that every time he's on the ice, he's a top player. As long as a prospect keeps doing that, it's really hard to criticize him.

It's like a top student in a crappy school. One could say he wouldn't be as dominant as a student in a fancy private school, but to call him a poor student just because his school is crappy? That doesn't make any sense.
This is such a bogus claim. The Leblanc camp thinks and they are right, Louis is better challenged in the NCAA. The Q is a piss poor junior league with a lot of 16 and 17 year old boys. NCAA is majorily made up of 21-24 year old men. An NCAA would kill a junior team, hell the Q has trouble beating USHL and Louis dominated at the USHL two years ago.

The notion that Leblanc will develop more in the Q is ridiculous. The only option the Leblanc camp was evaluating was jumping to the AHL.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:13 AM
  #41
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Agreed.

But the Habs HAD to draft the local guy.

They just HAD to do it.

If he was passionate about the game he would say:

"**** school, man!... I'm going to work on my skating, shooting, and playmaking and become the best NHLer my talent level is capable of"

His decision says a lot about where his priorities are at.
Yeah what a bum, decided he could gain something in life by getting an education.

Judging by some of the answers from this thread, mind development wouldn't hurt our own HF "brain trust".

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
  #42
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
I'm trying to understand the logic with some of these arguments. Sure, it would probably be better if he played in major junior, but we don't know that for sure, and there are plenty of reasons why he wouldn't, even if he put education second. In fact, I think I'll list some now:
1) Louis still needs to bulk up, something that he would be better able to do at college.
2) Pressure: MON 1st round pick + French Canadian + rights belonging to the Montreal Juniors (team IN Montreal) = a metric ton of pressure. We've seen how well throwing a player into the fire before they're ready works (Price, MaxPacs) and if he went to the Q, we'd certainly be risking his development.
3) Its not like the QMJHL is that great, it may be better than playing in Harvard in terms of competition, but its still the weakest Major junior league of the big three by a lot.
4) Say whatever you want about the Harvard program, but training for hockey and studying at Harvard has got to be good at developing a strong work ethic.

Do I think Leblanc should play junior hockey next year? yes. Would I blame him if he doesn't? no. Is he a bust? not even close right now.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
  #43
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
To those who think Leblanc is throwing away his career by staying in college, well read this quick list and tell me if it hurt the following players career in the NHL:

Mike Cammalleri
Jay Pandolfo
Keith Tkachuck
Tony Amonte

Scott Lachance
Rick D'Pietro
Adrian Acouin
Dan Locotoure
Shawn Bates
Chris Drury
Mike Grier
Tom Poti
Ryan Whitney
Freddy Meyer
Scotty Young
Brind'Amour, Rod
Carter, Anson
Hall, Adam
Horcoff, Shawn
Keith, Duncan
Slater, Jim
Smolinski, Bryan
Woolley, Jason
York, Mike
Ryan Miller
J.M. Liles
Andrew Hutchinson
Mike Weaver


And for a really good list of college players in the NHL, follow this link: (PDF file)

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/CollegetoNHL.pdf
The players you bolded didn't play for a prep school like Harvard. Harvard has a different schedule than the other schools, like Michigan as an example. Harvard plays against the other ****** prep schools and then play a few games against the actual good schools.

The players who come from a similar school are; Domenic Moore, Arron Ward, Craig Adams. Higgins is another one.

As you can see the skill level from playing in actual, good hockey schools and schools for education, there's a major difference in skill.

So, please people, stop thinking going to Harvard = going to Michigan.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
  #44
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
There are a few facts that people need to know.

1) There are no athletic scholarships at Harvard. Louis is paying his own way.

2) If your studies at Harvard are interrupted, you can finish them whenever you want. ie... if he were to play hockey somewhere else, he can go back.

Say what you like... his hockey developement is not going to be quite the same in Harvard as it would be in the AHL.
They have tuition "help" scholarships based on what your family position/income is. I know someone going to Princeton (hockey) in 2011. His parent's are both lawyers and therefore he is paying to go there.

I have no idea why he would not choose the CHL route.

Plus, the league that Harvard plays in, is inferior to where Cammy (MICH) and Miller (MICH ST) played in.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
  #45
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
1) Louis still needs to bulk up, something that he would be better able to do at college.
Can someone explain the logic behind this argument? I don't get it.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
  #46
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,933
vCash: 500
It's hic choice and I respect that,the Q might have been better for his development but I'm sure he will compete hard and workout just as much there then he would here with the studies.I just hope he will make the WJ team this year (if he is still eligible age) that should be his goal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
  #47
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
He should have listened to the posters here and not go after a free education.
As someone else mentioned correctly, there is no "free" education at Harvard. Let's get this straight...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
  #48
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,607
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypad33 View Post
Take a look at the Harvard Alumni.... not exactly the best list in the world.
To me, if you're not going to North Dakota, I don't want you in college!
Hey, Harvard has 5 players in the NHL, Bowling Green has 6 even if they are crappy at hockey but real good at producing bowlers.

Just goes to show that some colleges are more agressive in luring young hockey players to their hockey program while other colleges are not as agressive. And Louis's coach in Harvard is a guy who played a long career in the NHL and an Olympian: Ted Donato. So i think Leblanc's in good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Can someone explain the logic behind this argument? I don't get it.
Much better food in college cafeterias...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
  #49
maxpower2010*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Another wasted first round pick by Timmins, with the assist going to those cretin's who clamor for us to pick un p'tit gars de chez nous.

I wish management would step in and put this kid in his place but they knew what type of creampuff they were getting when they drafted him.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:29 AM
  #50
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,607
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
...
So, please people, stop thinking going to Harvard = going to Michigan.
I dont think that: you do. I never said that Harvard = Michigan, i said going to college didnt seem to hurt the players i listed or in the PDF file. Read my post again please.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.