HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Labbé: Leblanc to play in Harvard next season

Old
07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
rangersfan212

vCash: 500
Was at a development camp recently and heard a D 1 first rounder joking around with a major junior kid,
At the end of the conversation the D 1 kid looked over and said, please, I put up 50 points as a 19 year old against 25 year old men in college. I had no interest in playing against boys in the Q.
The Q is a down league and every team in that league would crush any Q team.

Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Union etc would beat Drummondville by 5-7 goals easily. Dont believe me, ask the coach, anny Brooks

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan212 View Post
Was at a development camp recently and heard a D 1 first rounder joking around with a major junior kid,
At the end of the conversation the D 1 kid looked over and said, please, I put up 50 points as a 19 year old against 25 year old men in college. I had no interest in playing against boys in the Q.

Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Union etc would beat Drummondville by 5-7 goals easily. Dont believe me, ask the coach, anny Brooks
Huh ? Can you say out of left field ? Well lets go ask aNnY BrOOkS.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
In the CHL, everybody is playing for the NHL dream.
This is not true.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan212 View Post

Key term is joking around... How many of these guys in the ivy league schools make it?

The Q has guys making it from all over. the teams are built in a Draft system, trades happen, rigorous schedules, playoff drives, intense game situations, pro coaching & development, heavy scouting, etc. The CHL replicates the NHL in a lower standard, for younger players. They are from the same age bracket, and MAYBE you could say being 20 & dominating COULD be great for one's ego.
50 goal seasons, 100 point campaigns, league championships on a much closer calibre as the Stanley cup.

With his intense 20-30 games, he didnt show ENOUGH to make an impact for the WJC's, MANY off the cuff implicitly said that playing in the schedule he did, caused him to be cut, as he didnt have the great start others who were included did.

Yes, he gets great practice & work out regimens... The competition is diluted with never were's and has beens. How about trying to play against next year's # 1 in Couturier? Playing 100+ games?

PK Subban is a great example of what the CHL can turn a prospect in to. He worked hard, and is on the cusp of being a 21 year old NHL regular, with so much potential, he may be a star... Last prospect with that kind of skill came from there as well, (Price) as well as our top prospects on D (Carle, & Weber are CHL picks)

I personally think it takes a TONNE of discipline to become a star out of the College route. only one that comes to mind that is a star is Cammalleri.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
This is not true.
Oh no? which is why the schedule, demands and game intensity is the closest matched to the NHL a 16-20 year old can get right? They may already realize they wont make it... However they are playing it with even that OFF Chance. To live the dream to play heavy competitive hockey that is the NHL.
AHL & CHL replicate, cause they are both essentially pro leagues.

They are playing there, cause they love hockey, and would like to be paid for it (some day)

Old
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
I personally think it takes a TONNE of discipline to become a star out of the College route. only one that comes to mind that is a star is Cammalleri.
So I guess you've never heard of
Parise
Toews
Zajac
Komisarek
etc?

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Oh no? which is why the schedule, demands and game intensity is the closest matched to the NHL a 16-20 year old can get right? They may already realize they wont make it... However they are playing it with even that OFF Chance. To live the dream to play heavy competitive hockey that is the NHL.
AHL & CHL replicate, cause they are both essentially pro leagues.

They are playing there, cause they love hockey, and would like to be paid for it (some day)
There are a lot of major junior kids that just love to play hockey, they know they won't make it, and they don't have the desire to either, but they enjoy the game so they play.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:55 AM
rangersfan212

Quote:
Key term is joking around... How many of these guys in the ivy league schools make it?

The Q has guys making it from all over. the teams are built in a Draft system, trades happen, rigorous schedules, playoff drives, intense game situations, pro coaching & development, heavy scouting, etc. The CHL replicates the NHL in a lower standard, for younger players. They are from the same age bracket, and MAYBE you could say being 20 & dominating COULD be great for one's ego.
50 goal seasons, 100 point campaigns, league championships on a much closer calibre as the Stanley cup.

With his intense 20-30 games, he didnt show ENOUGH to make an impact for the WJC's, MANY off the cuff implicitly said that playing in the schedule he did, caused him to be cut, as he didnt have the great start others who were included did.

Yes, he gets great practice & work out regimens... The competition is diluted with never were's and has beens. How about trying to play against next year's # 1 in Couturier? Playing 100+ games?

PK Subban is a great example of what the CHL can turn a prospect in to. He worked hard, and is on the cusp of being a 21 year old NHL regular, with so much potential, he may be a star... Last prospect with that kind of skill came from there as well, (Price) as well as our top prospects on D (Carle, & Weber are CHL picks)

very good points

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

The thing with Ivy league players is that they are going to graduate from the best colleges in the world, so they often can expect some major job offers that likely pay a lot more then the 50-60K they'd get in the AHL.

The biggest star for the Habs to come from the NCAA is Ken Dryden (also played in the ivy league) but it's not going to compare against the CHL which has always had the bulk of NHL draft picks. That doesn't mean that it's the correct path for everyone, some are better off going one way, while others would fit better going the other direction.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The thing with Ivy league players is that they are going to graduate from the best colleges in the world, so they often can expect some major job offers that likely pay a lot more then the 50-60K they'd get in the AHL.

The biggest star for the Habs to come from the NCAA is Ken Dryden (also played in the ivy league) but it's not going to compare against the CHL which has always had the bulk of NHL draft picks. That doesn't mean that it's the correct path for everyone, some are better off going one way, while others would fit better going the other direction.
I would be willing to bet that Christopher Higgins has made quite a bit more money than the vast majority (if not all) of his Yale classmates. I am sure that Leblanc is smart enough to see what kind of money is being made by NHL players, which should keep him hungry to make it with the Habs.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Galchenyuk94

Hey guys take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend who works with LL's little brother, and he thinks that Louis is leaning towards the CHL. But that even his own parents don't know his decision. What is certain though is that his mind is not yet made up.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There are a lot of major junior kids that just love to play hockey, they know they won't make it, and they don't have the desire to either, but they enjoy the game so they play.
OK, there may be a grouping of players in this boat... However, it still does not ignore the fact that they are usually elite kids @ the 16 yr old age group, whose biggest hockey goal MAY be to lace them up for Sudbury Wolves, or the Tri-City Americans... However we all know that they are envisioning... Even if it isnt a reality, it's still their dream & their passion. & I bet that if they were good enough, they wouldnt say, 'no... Id rather be a Finanacial Analyst'. They play cause they love hockey, and even for one split second, have had dreams of playing in the NHL.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

Absolutely agree There definately is 2 avenues of reproach. However lets not forget that CHL'ers get Scholarships & allowances for every year they play as well..

But a job offer will never take place of getting paid to play hockey. If it does, then maybe they just didnt want it enough (hence why they are playing Ivy league hockey)

Old
07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So I guess you've never heard of
Parise
Toews
Zajac
Komisarek
etc?
No I have heard of them, I did say though, the only one who comes to mind. OFF the top of my head without a second's thought.

If I were o think I can think of some other successful College players (Van Reimsdyk, Kessel, Higgins to name a few)

let me put it this way, out of the last 50 top 10 draft picks,
9/10 CHL in '10 (Hall/Seguin # 1/2)
0/10 NCAA in '10 (Campbell, the goalie is the highest @ #11)

7/10 CHL in '09 (Tavares #1, Duschene #3)
0/10 NCAA in '09 (Nick Leddy being the first selected @ # 16)

8/10 CHL in '08 (all top 5 picks!)
1/10 NCAA in '08 (Colin Wilson @ #7)

8/10 CHL in '07 (Kane # 1, then from 4-11 ALL CHL)
2/10 NCAA in '07 (JVR & Turris # 2/3!)

4/10 CHL in '06 (Jordo Staal #2)
4/10 NCAA in '06 (Banner year includes Johnson, Kessel & Toews)

So, 72% of the last 50 top 10 picks are CHL'ers
12% of the last 50 top 10 picks are NCAA

In short, if my twin boys are close, they are heading to the CHL... if they are longshots, the NCAA it is That's the long & short of it

Old
07-21-2010, 07:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
I would be willing to bet that Christopher Higgins has made quite a bit more money than the vast majority (if not all) of his Yale classmates. I am sure that Leblanc is smart enough to see what kind of money is being made by NHL players, which should keep him hungry to make it with the Habs.
Well Higgins is an exception since in his sophmore year he was named one of the ten best players in the NCAA.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
habsfan92

Why is it that everyone is always trying to put the names of guys who went the college route and made the NHL? Who cares. Many, many, many more made it through the CHL route- and were better players. Weak argument kids.
I would rather have him playing in the CHL, but I am not against him playing NCAA. It is just that the league Harvard is in is pretty weak, Harvard is terrible. If he was playing at Boston College, of North Dakota, or Michigan, I would be okay with it. Playing against men instead of boys in the Q? How about playing against future business men instead of playing against future professional hockey draftees and prospects, the latter would impress me more and probably raise the level of his game.
Ideally, I would rather London Knights trade for his rights, and bring him into the OHL.
As far as saying he is better going to Harvard so he can gain weight & strength, isn't this mostly done during the off-season? I hear that during the season, most players lose weight (in leagues where the play more games of course).

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Oleg Petrov

I think a really good indicator of how Leblanc will do is by monitoring Riley Nash's progression with Carolina:

Selected by Edmonton Oilers round 1 #21 overall 2007 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM

2007-08 Cornell University NCAA 36 12 20 32 28
2008-09 Cornell University NCAA 36 13 22 35 34
2009-10 Cornell University NCAA 30 12 23 35 39

Signed a 2010-13 SPC this year.

Selected by Montreal Canadiens round 1 #18 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft

2009-10 Harvard University NCAA 31 11 12 23 50

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote