HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Florida Panthers Prospect Poll #5

View Poll Results: Who is the Panthers #5 Ranked Prospect?
Michal Repik - RW [2007 - 40th Overall] 12 28.57%
Quinton Howden - LW [2010 - 25th Overall] 3 7.14%
Jason Garrison - D [FA] 1 2.38%
Colby Robak - D [2008 - 46th Overall] 14 33.33%
Keaton Ellerby - D [2007 - 10th Overall] 2 4.76%
Kenndal McArdle - LW [2005 - 20th Overall] 0 0%
John McFarland - C [2010 - 33rd Overall] 7 16.67%
Alexander Petrovic - D [2010 - 36th Overall] 1 2.38%
Drew Shore - C [2009 - 44th Overall] 1 2.38%
Alexander Salak - G [FA] 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

vCash: 500
Robak, add Brickley

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
16Skippy

I picked Repik. Has produced at the professional level and is still improving each year. I think he has a chance to stay on the big club this year. And also I guess because Garrison isn't considered a prospect by everyone.

Add Dadonov

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Hip to be Square

Repik was 40th overall for crap's sake. He possesses just as much talent if not more than any player on the current dress list. If his attitude needs adjustment, then good coaches can work with players like him. Pete can't just say, "Looks like his attitude is not right for this team, alright cut him". LOL. Keep cutting the Repik's of the prospect pool and see where that gets you. This kid needs a chance to show what he can do at the NHL. No callup crap. He needs to be given a spot on the big club to properly evaluate him at this juncture. I want to see Repik on the top six with the most talent we got.. see what he can do.. It'll be a shame if he gets stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines again.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I picked Repik. Has produced at the professional level and is still improving each year. I think he has a chance to stay on the big club this year. And also I guess because Garrison isn't considered a prospect by everyone.

Add Dadonov
Didn't Tallon just give him a new 2-year one-way contract?

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Looks like we may have a runoff between Repik and Robak. Exciting!

Aaaaaaaaaand the McFarland hype machine continues to rev. It's funny that he's regressed for two seasons in a row and didn't live up to his potential as the top OHL selection while Repik and Robak have continually increased production, yet people STILL want to vault McFarland into the stratosphere based upon numbers from the OPJHL.

VROOM VROOM!

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
VROOM VROOM!
I normally like that sound because it remind me of a tank and BOY do I like tanks! However, I agree with you. I think he's got good boom potential, but his bust potential is just as high.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:53 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

im not that high on repik. he just is too small for my tastes. until we become a skill and speed type team then I just dont see him as fitting with the team. he might do well on another team, but here he is just odd man out imo.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:16 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

If there's a tie between Repik and Robak, I will move my vote from McFarland to Robak.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Ok, who here has seen Howden play, he is a steal, he has like the same amount of points in games played, if he was playing in a really experienced WHL team (Moose Jaw is decently experienced) he could've have been like a top 10 pick.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
Ok, who here has seen Howden play, he is a steal, he has like the same amount of points in games played, if he was playing in a really experienced WHL team (Moose Jaw is decently experienced) he could've have been like a top 10 pick.
Agreed, I've been saying the same thing. I picked him, add Brickley.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:36 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Agreed, I've been saying the same thing. I picked him, add Brickley.
What is the scouting report on Howden and which NHL players would you compare him to?

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Repik doesn't get my vote because he looks like a serial killer in his HFBoards photo.

Robak doesn't get my vote because both Acadmus & zeroG voted for him, which means there is something unholy about him.

McFarland gets my vote because for some reason it drives some people crazy that an educated guess about the development of an 18 year old may not agree with theirs.

These same people would have burst an aneurysm had you told them in June 2003 that both players Philadelphia drafted in the first round would end up being more valuable than Nathan Horton and that the guy drafted #19 may be the best of the bunch.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Repik doesn't get my vote because he looks like a serial killer in his HFBoards photo.

Robak doesn't get my vote because both Acadmus & zeroG voted for him, which means there is something unholy about him.

McFarland gets my vote because for some reason it drives some people crazy that an educated guess about the development of an 18 year old may not agree with theirs.

These same people would have burst an aneurysm had you told them in June 2003 that both players Philadelphia drafted in the first round would end up being more valuable than Nathan Horton and that the guy drafted #19 may be the best of the bunch.
THIS.
And...Repik is small and he is no Martin St Louis. Hard to play against? TBD. Is there room for him on the cats roster this season anyways? No.
Also Garrison should be left out of the poll because he made the team already.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:42 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaand the McFarland hype machine continues to rev. It's funny that he's regressed for two seasons in a row and didn't live up to his potential as the top OHL selection while Repik and Robak have continually increased production, yet people STILL want to vault McFarland into the stratosphere based upon numbers from the OPJHL.

VROOM VROOM!
Because most people know what his capable of, just you wait. And Repik is much older, couldn't get a roster spot on a weak Panthers team. And because he produce in the AHL doesn't say he should play in the NHL, isn't Taffe a PPG player in the AHL? But he's not even close to being an NHL player. Repik has talent, but is smallish and doesn't have as high ceiling as McFarland/Bjugstad/Howden etc. imo.

I would put a prospectlist like this:

Markström
Gudbransson
Bjugstad
McFarland
Howden
Robak
Repik
Ellerby
Petrovic/Shore
Brickley/Hyman/Dadanov/Salak

Last edited by AwesomePanthers: 07-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.
AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
What is the scouting report on Howden and which NHL players would you compare him to?
He's a skilled poweforward who drives to the net often, has blazing speed, good hands. Good defensively. Can play center or wing. Has a good accurate shot and feeds his linemates with sweet passes as well. Very complete player. He is physical, but leaves you wanting more in the hitting department. Not because what he does isn't good enough, but because if he was just a little more grittier he'd be a force. He's a real battler, he's great in the corners, in front of the net, and on the forecheck. He really gets to the dirty areas, without fear, and uses his big frame to full advantage. I compare him to Morrow. I'd say his upside is Brendan Morrow and his downside is Mike Fisher.

Old
07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Panthers_Fan

Repik. Add Dadonov

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
He's a skilled poweforward who drives to the net often, has blazing speed, good hands. Good defensively. Can play center or wing. Has a good accurate shot and feeds his linemates with sweet passes as well. Very complete player. He is physical, but leaves you wanting more in the hitting department. Not because what he does isn't good enough, but because if he was just a little more grittier he'd be a force. He's a real battler, he's great in the corners, in front of the net, and on the forecheck. He really gets to the dirty areas, without fear, and uses his big frame to full advantage. I compare him to Morrow. I'd say his upside is Brendan Morrow and his downside is Mike Fisher.
Thanks for the info MR. He sounds like a good pick for us.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Thanks for the info MR. He sounds like a good pick for us.
He definitely was. I have no problem with that pick at all.

Old
07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Gudbranson44

garrison, add cheverie

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
I vote Petrovic! Add Dadonov

Seems Panthers fans werent that impressed with Howden pick.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Clint

Quote:

I'm not saying that McFarland isn't talented or won't turn it around one of these days. I'm just saying that these prospects should be evaluated on tangible past performances, consistency, and what they bring to the table. Judging by past performance alone, McFarland has regressed and therefore shouldn't be ranked so high. Right now both Robak and Repik deserve to be ranked higher. They've both increased production every year and are more known quantities than McFarland. If he turns it around next year, and I certainly hope he does, then by all means I'd rank him higher.

But at this point he's regressed, and with the hype machine increasing RPM's, the guy picked at #33 is going to be ranked higher than the guy picked at #25 without ever playing a single game after the draft. I find that absurd.

Old
07-17-2010, 08:05 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
im not that high on repik. he just is too small for my tastes. until we become a skill and speed type team then I just dont see him as fitting with the team. he might do well on another team, but here he is just odd man out imo.
ok, for your tastes. but he was actually playing reasonably... medium-sized during his callups last year, finishing every check. remains to be seen what'll transprire but, imo, he'll continue that and pretty far from the odd man out.

Quote:

unholy?

it was a close call between robak and the serial killer. i think they could have, if all goes well, a similar impact over the next couple of years. which is to say AN impact.

Quote:
how do you do it man? HOW?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:07 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I'm not saying that McFarland isn't talented or won't turn it around one of these days. I'm just saying that these prospects should be evaluated on tangible past performances, consistency, and what they bring to the table. Judging by past performance alone, McFarland has regressed and therefore shouldn't be ranked so high. Right now both Robak and Repik deserve to be ranked higher. They've both increased production every year and are more known quantities than McFarland. If he turns it around next year, and I certainly hope he does, then by all means I'd rank him higher.

But at this point he's regressed, and with the hype machine increasing RPM's, the guy picked at #33 is going to be ranked higher than the guy picked at #25 without ever playing a single game after the draft. I find that absurd.
It's absurd that several players picked after Horton turned out to be better players than him.

I understand what you are saying. I just think that taking the list of draft picks and ranking them in the order of their selection is, well, rather boring.

My selection of McFarland has to do with a hunch rather than any hype. I think the kid is talented but needs to get his **** together. I think this draft will be a wake up call. Again, it's a crap shoot predicting what these kids are going to do.

Howden may end up being the best of the bunch. Maybe Petrovic develops into a better defenseman than Gudbranson. It sounds crazy, but things like that happen every year.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Clint

Quote:
It's absurd that several players picked after Horton turned out to be better players than him.
Come on. You're intentionally being dense to rob me of my point. You know what I'm talking about. 5 years after the draft, sure, Richards is better than Horton. But a month after the draft, no one would have ranked Richards higher. Come on.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I just think that taking the list of draft picks and ranking them in the order of their selection is, well, rather boring.
As of RIGHT NOW, the draft order is the most solid indicator we have to go on. The Panthers (and 29 other teams) all had a chance to select McFarland over Howden. No one did. And these guys have not played a single game to either raise or lower their draft stock. Does McFarland have a higher offensive upside than Howden? Definitely, I'd be a fool not to admit that. But like I said, he's regressed two years in a row, while several of our other prospects have not. IF he turns his game around and proves that this past year was a fluke (like AwesomePanthers continues to insist... "Oh he was nervous all year about being a first rounder so he didn't do good." RIIIIGHT.) then I'd be ecstatic to rank him higher. But right now his play simply hasn't warranted a higher ranking.

Quote:
Howden may end up being the best of the bunch. Maybe Petrovic develops into a better defenseman than Gudbranson. It sounds crazy, but things like that happen every year.
Jesus, please don't talk to me like I'm stupid. I've been around long enough that you don't have to tell me this. I know these things happen every year. But as of RIGHT NOW Repik, Robak and even Howden deserve to be ranked higher based upon not only their draft status, but what they have proven in recent seasons. I know things change in future seasons. But we can't rank based on OH MAYBE HE'LL TURN IT AROUND. MAYBE I will start working out, get myself an agent and sign with an NHL team then win the Stanley Cup. But until I do that, I haven't done it yet.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Come on. You're intentionally being dense to rob me of my point. You know what I'm talking about. 5 years after the draft, sure, Richards is better than Horton. But a month after the draft, no one would have ranked Richards higher. Come on.

... and if someone had, you obviously would have had a fit.

As of RIGHT NOW, the draft order is the most solid indicator we have to go on. The Panthers (and 29 other teams) all had a chance to select McFarland over Howden. No one did. And these guys have not played a single game to either raise or lower their draft stock. Does McFarland have a higher offensive upside than Howden? Definitely, I'd be a fool not to admit that. But like I said, he's regressed two years in a row, while several of our other prospects have not. IF he turns his game around and proves that this past year was a fluke (like AwesomePanthers continues to insist... "Oh he was nervous all year about being a first rounder so he didn't do good." RIIIIGHT.) then I'd be ecstatic to rank him higher. But right now his play simply hasn't warranted a higher ranking.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Jesus, please don't talk to me like I'm stupid. I've been around long enough that you don't have to tell me this. I know these things happen every year. But as of RIGHT NOW Repik, Robak and even Howden deserve to be ranked higher based upon not only their draft status, but what they have proven in recent seasons. I know things change in future seasons. But we can't rank based on OH MAYBE HE'LL TURN IT AROUND. MAYBE I will start working out, get myself an agent and sign with an NHL team then win the Stanley Cup. But until I do that, I haven't done it yet.
Everything is based on 'maybe'. These guys were drafted on projections. Using your logic, we should rank this year's draft picks in the order they were drafted and slot the previous prospects somewhere in their midst. The Rangers drafted McIlrath ahead of Fowler. Should he be ranked above Fowler on a prospects list?

That's fine if that's what you want to do, but it's rather boring. I'm not sure why some people around here get so worked up about a meaningless poll based on OPINION.

Relax. It's just for fun. There will be plenty of time for aggravation once the season starts.